Christmas Without You

Submissions For Fanforyeol

It was Christmas Eve and Chanyeol smiled as Yura handed him a mug of warm chocolate. His older sister then sat beside him, but her attention was focused on their parents who were cooing over baby Yuri. Minwoo, Yura’s husband, were busy taking pictures of the gurgling baby.

They all looked so happy, all around bright faces, big smiles and tinkling laughter. And Chanyeol was happy too, really he was. But he wasn’t content.

His fingers tapped the mug restlessly and for what seemed like the hundredth time that day, he had to stop himself from whipping out his phone and called Yifan.

They made a commitment for this year and Chanyeol had promised to fulfill it.

They had spent the last two Christmas in the coziness of their house in Canada so Yifan said that they should spend this Christmas with their respective families. And that meant Yifan had to fly back to Guangzhou and Chanyeol to Seoul.

Honestly, it was worth it. He didn’t realize how much he missed his family until he was pulled down into his mother’s embrace with his father’s warm hand resting on the small of his back. And the last time he met Yura was when he and YIfan attended her wedding. Now she had a two year old chubby baby girl in her arms and Chanyeol was instantly head over heels for his niece.

And being in the middle of his family, amidst all the joy and festivities, Chanyeol couldn’t help but crave for one particular warmth.

He placed his mug on the coffee table and after mumbling out an excuse of needing to use the restroom he fled the living room of his parent’s house. With big steps, he climbed the stairs and locked himself into the upstair bathroom. He gave in to his urges, pulled out his phone and pressed speed dial #2.

He waited for the call to be connected and after 5 rings the familiar deep voice greeted him.

“Canlie.” Yifan breathed into Chanyeol’s ear.

“I miss you.” Chanyeol blurted. “I was downstairs with my family, and everything was good and happy and Yuri was a cute little angel and the food was great, but I miss you. I miss you, I miss you, I miss you.”

Yifan chuckled at Chanyeol’s rapid outburst. “I miss you too love. So much.” He replied.

And Chanyeol didn’t know what came over him, but he suddenly found it hard to breathe and before long there were tears running down his cheeks. Yifan must have sensed his distress because he started to soothe Chanyeol in comforting tone.

“Hey, it’s okay. It’s only for another three days. Then I’ll fly to Seoul and we can celebrate New Year together, okay? Don’t be so sad; enjoy Christmas with your family.” Yifan crooned.

Chanyeol felt a bit better after hearing Yifan’s voice, but still a big part of him wanted Yifan to be here so Chanyeol could hold him, wanted Yifan to be by his side so he could kiss him under the mistletoe, wanted to hear Yifan sang Christmas carols in his slightly off key voice, wanted to open Yifan’s gifts for him, wanted to cuddle in the sofa while watching Christmas movies, wanted to fell giggling into bed for some ‘celebration’ while Yifan’s big warm hands sneaked under his sweater.

The bottom line was Chanyeol wanted Yifan, especially on Christmas.

“I want you for Christmas.” Chanyeol said petulantly.

Yifan laughed a little. “I want you for Christmas too Canlie-ah.”

Chanyeol huffed and wiped his cheeks, the tears had finally stopped falling. “I love you ge. I love you so damn much.”

Yifan sighed and for the first time since their call started, Chanyeol heard the slight wobble in his lover’s voice. “I love you too Canlie. To the moon and back.”

Chanyeol let out a sigh of his own. “I better get back. They might miss me.”

“Yeah. Send my regards to your family, and kisses and hugs for little Yuri.” Yifan said with a more cheerful tone.

Chanyeol smiled. “I will. I’ll call you again tomorrow ge.”

“I’ll be waiting.”

Chanyeol hang up the phone and even if he missed his Yifan terribly, he had a small smile on his lips, he could hold out for three more days.

Chanyeol exited the bathroom and bounded downstairs. He reentered the living room and had to stop for a while at the threshold. The sight which awaited him was one of warmth. His parents were sitting together on the love seat with matching smiles. Minwoo was holding baby Yuri while Yura leaned on his shoulder, both with adoring looks on their faces.

And it was finally okay. Even if Yifan wasn’t here, Chanyeol was still happy because he still had his family for Christmas.