Omatsuri

One-Sided Love

I stared at Tsubasa not knowing whether to be happy, angry or sad. As I stood there looking kind of confused, Tsubasa spoke up “Yuki…I’m uh…sorry I rejected you. You know, losing you it just made me realize what I could’ve had” Tsubasa glanced at me, his big brown eyes wide. “So come home with me Yuki” he smiled and reached out his hand but I shook my head “Tsubasa…this is my home now”. Tsubasa winced and lowered his hand “Yuki…I want you to be with me” he pleaded. I shook my head confused, Tsubasa had rejected me, he had broken my heart I didn’t like him anymore…right?

The school chime rang loudly across the courtyard making all of us jump. Tsubasa sighed and shoved his hands in his pockets “Yuki, if you still have feelings for me, meet me at the train station tomorrow and I’ll take you back home” he paused “I mean your old home” after a moment’s hesitation Tsubasa leaned forward and brushed his lips across my cheek making me blush before leaping over the front gate and out of sight.

I shivered even though there was no wind, and my knees went weak. I felt shaky as I took deep breaths trying to calm down, but Tsubasa’s words kept ringing in my ears ‘I want you to be with me’ ‘Meet me at the train station tomorrow…’  Everything was happening all too and I wished time would just stop and let me think.

I jumped in surprise as I heard Souta’s voice in my ear “Yuki…I don’t know what happened between you and that guy and I probably don’t have the right to ask…But if there’s anything I can do, I’ll always be here for you. Slowly, he slipped his arms around my waist and pulled me towards him. My mind was screaming at me to push him away but my body stayed put, comforted by the strong arms that wrapped around it. For a few moments we stood there not caring about the fact that the chime had already gone.

Suddenly, Souta pushed me back a bit to look at me “Let’s go to an *omatsuri!” he said happily and started dragging m towards the front gate of the school. “Wait! Souta, we still have four periods left of school” I shouted stopping him in his tracks, he froze for a second then turned to face me “Yuki, if you really do decide to go with that guy, then this might be the last time I’ll ever get to see you. So right now I dpnt’ really care about school, all I care about right now is you Yuki”.

Suddenly, my chest felt tight and my face was burning, quickly I pretended to look at something interesting on the ground and nodded my head. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Souta’s bright smile causing me to turn bright red. Quickly, Souta grabbed my hand and sprinted out the front gate.

 

By the time we had reached the entrance to the *jinja I was completely out of breath. I gasped as I stared at the scene in front of me. There were people all over the place, old and young and above their heads hung brightly colored lanterns gently swaying in the breeze. Small shops lined the busy path in the middle and a wave of delicious smells filled my nose.

Then, to my embarrassment my stomach grumbled loudly and Souta threw his head back and laughed. I scowled at him and he stopped “Sorry Yuki” he managed to say through bursts of laughter “Let’s go get something to eat”. “Okay” I tried to flash him a bright smile but he looked away, covering his face.

Suddenly I felt extremely self-conscious. What did I look like to Souta? Did I look pretty or average?

“Yuki!” Souta’s voice swept my thoughts away and as I swirled around to see his face I saw a huge, pink, fluffy ball instead. “Wha-?” I opened my mouth and Souta shoved the pink ball into my mouth “Whadiyuwu?” I spluttered as a sweet taste hit my tongue and then vanished. “What was that?” I asked curiously “What! Haven’t you ever tasted candy floss before?” Souta shouted, surprised. I shook my head “No…I like it though”, Souta gave me one of his bright smiles “Well, in that case…Oji-san! 10 more bags of candy floss please!”

“Alright” the shopkeeper frowned and flicked a switch and a donut-shaped machine hummed to life. “Souta!” I protested but Souta just smiled and said “Don’t worry Yuki, this one’s on me”.

Laughing, we walked down the path with our arms filled with bags of candy floss.

 

As the sun dipped below the horizon, the first few stars sparkled in the sky. I stared at the breath-taking scene with my eyes wide, then I cast a side-long glance at Souta who sat on the grassy hill beside me. His hair glowed with the sunset making it look almost bronze. I blushed why am I looking at his hair??? I thought inwardly and looked down, embarrassed. Then, I saw his hand; instinctively I placed my hand on his. Souta jerked and turned as red as I was, then he pulled his hand away and I felt my heart sink. Slowly I started to pull my hand away when Souta gently placed his hand on top of mine. I frowned at him Oh, I thought angrily you us =t have to be on top don’t you? Scowling I pulled my hand backand slammed it on top.

“Ow!” Souta jerked his hand back clutching it with his other hand. “Oh my god! I’m so sorry!” I gasped and took his hand in mine, I could see the red shape of my hand starting to appear on his. “I-I’ll get and ice-pack or something” I stammered and started to get up when Souta grabbed my hand and pulled it back “Don’t go…” he pleaded. I turned around “Wait-Souta!” I screamed and fell. I closed my eyes tightly hoping nothing bad would happen. “Yuki…” I heard Souta’s embarrassed whisper and opened

my eyes and gasped. I was lying on top of him and our faces were about a centimeter apart. I went bright red and backed away from him.

I brought my knees up to my chest and wrapped my arms around them.

I glanced up at the sky, it was dark blue now, and it glittered with a thousand shining stars. Slowly I peeked at Souta and to my surprise he stared back at me, I smiled. Souta hesitated for a moment then leaned forward and pressed his lips against mine. I gasped, surprised and then gently kissed him back.

Suddenly there was a huge bang as fireworks exploded in the air, and sparks every color of the rainbow spread across the night sky. I stared as the colorful lights lip up the sky and gasped with amazement. “Yuki!’ Souta shouted over the noise. I glanced at him and his face was bright red “I love you Yuki, so could you um…stay by my side forever?. I smiled brightly and leaned forward to kiss him as the last and final firework sparkled in the sky and fell like a thousand falling stars.