Leaving Home

One-Sided Love

Through the tiny window I could see my hometown getting further and further away until at last it disappeared into a mist of clouds. ‘Would you like a drink, madam?’ a flight attendant wearing a neat uniform came past with a big smile on her face. “No Thanks.” I mumbled. I pushed the arm rests up and lay on my back, the cold metal of the seatbelts jabbed into my back and my legs were cramped up but there was nothing I could really do about it. I closed my eyes and remembered yesterday night…he didn’t like me the words kept repeating in my mind so I shook my head to try and get them out. I felt like a fool liking him in the first place, love was so confusing and so difficult and I was the one that got hurt in the end. Love was a waste of time. Love I thought was unnecessary.

After hours and hours I looked through the window for the nth time and watched as all the pretty, colorful lights of Tokyo came into view. I brought my knees up to my chest and hugged them tight. I couldn’t wait to get out of the cramped plane and just sleep on a comfy futon to forget about everything. Sighing I brought my forehead down to my knees and closed my eyes.

 * * *

Morning light shined through the window and into my eyes as I yawned and got out of bed. It was Sunday, which meant my grandparents were still sleeping. I slipped on my navy top, with my blue cardigan and black jeans and looked in the mirror.

I looked so…average, with long, straight, boring black hair, dark brown eyes and a stick-like figure. Quietly I tiptoed down the hallway and out the front door.

 

As I walked outside a cool blast of air hit my face making me shiver, I wrapped my cardigan around me tight and started walking down the street. I wondered towards Sakurano High School, I wanted to see what kind of school I’d be going to for the next few years.

At last I arrived at the front entrance of my high school and my jaw dropped, this place is HUGE! I thought to myself staring up at the tall building which was probably the classrooms.I hope I don’t get lost… I thought pitifully and walked into the school. The school looked deserted but as I turned around the corner I heard a loud whistle. I looked around saw a whole bunch of guys in red uniform running after a soccer ball. One of them-probably the leader-scored a goal and a whole group of girls on the other side of the field start screaming “Kyaaaa!!! Go Souta-Senpai!!!”

The guy - Souta doesn’t even seem to notice and one of the girls- a chubby brunette- runs up to him with what looks like an obento box and offers it to him.

Souta looks at the girl with smirk and my chest feels tight, I just want to shout at him “You Jerk! Just take the frickin’ obento already!”

But I keep my mouth shut as he walks off and the girl is left by herself looking like she would burst into tears any moment. With a pang of guilt I remembered what it felt like to be rejected and I ran.