One

When He Cried Wolf

     Tao rushed down the crowded hallway. He was horribly late for his class, he had overslept, didn't have any time to take even a quick shower, and had the best breakfast of burnt toast. His mood wasn't the greatest, and the bags under his eyes were bigger and darker than ever. 

     He made it to the classroom. Taking a big breath, he pushed the door open. Tao made it to his desk quietly. 

     "Mr. Zitao?"

     "Um... yes ma'am?"

     The professor turned around, "can you please tell me why you are this late?"

     "Well..." Tao noticed that the whole class had their eyes on him and looked down.

     "Well?" The professor sighed "I guess no one is perfect. I'll just have you stay in late. I can't have one of my best students fall behind."

      "Yes ma'am." Tao whimpered. With the day he had been having already, that was the last thing he wanted. He just wanted to go home... to sleep. 

 

***************************************************************************************************

 

     The bell rang, and Tao started to get up.

     "Where are you going, Zitao? I thought you were staying in late." The woman did one of her signature warm smiles, "don't worry, it won't be too much. That really wasn't the reason I wanted you to stay late."

      Tao sank back down. It wasn't? What was she talking about? 

      She sat down next to him. Her large eyes were serious now, looking him dead in the eye. 

      "Is there anything wrong, Zitao? You haven't looked one hundred percent, that's unlike you. I've been worried about you." 

     "Nothing is wrong, I've just... " his head rested on his hand, "I don't know."

     The professor nodded, "of course. I completely understand. And you can just have these," she handed him a few papers, "to catch up, you can finish them here or you can finish them at home."

     He decided he might as well finish them there. He handed them in, said goodbye, and stepped out into the hall.  It was deserted, and dark outside, and Tao was known for being easily scared. He knew nothing was going to creep up on him, but couldn't help but to look behind him for anything... scary. Images of everything creepy flashed across his mind. 

     He put his fingers on his temples, "Tao. Come on, just stop thinking about those things. Stop scaring yourself."

    Tao made it outside. Stars were scattered across the black sky with the full moon, and his shoes crunched on the gravel. He heard footsteps behind him. 

     "Hello? Anyone there?", Tao whispered into the shadows.

     Nothing.

      "It's just my imagination." he said to himself.

      Then when he turned the corner, he met it. The biggest, most beautiful, yet terrifying creature. It was golden, stood on two legs, and snarled his way. Tao's legs shook, and he shrunk to the ground. 

 

(Thank you for reading this far! If anyone really liked it, I'm going to be writing the next chapter if it's not already done. ^-^  And sorry if it's a little bland, I've been trying to work on my descriptions and all that jazz. Don't forget to comment!)