He’s back

The Last Time

“Hye Rin ah, come on. We’re almost late to the wedding.”

“Coming.” I ran out from my bedroom. “Did you get the ring?”

“Hm.” He took out the ring from his suit’s pocket and showed me.

I rushed to the door but then I remember something. “Wait, I forget the bouquet.”

I run inside and grabbed it from the desk. We only have thirty five minutes left before the wedding begins and it took thirty minutes from my apartment to the church. I was half run when Byung Hee suddenly grabbed my hand to slow me down.

“Hey, slow down. You don’t want your make up wear-off right?”

“I know, but we’re almost late.”

“Don't worry, I drove fast. Besides, I know the shortcut.”

“I can't believe she threw a bachelorette party last night.” I told him while we walked to his car.

“Well, maybe because she thinks it’s the last night you two lived together so she wanted to make it memorable.”

I frowned. “But she also invited a male stripper. That’s what made me shocked the most.”

He laughed. “Hey, it’s not a bachelorette party if you don’t have a male stripper.”

“So you don’t mind if I watch a guy in front of me?” I .

“I know you so I’m not worried. You must have been closed your eyes when the guy start to loosened his first button.”

“Now I regretted. I should’ve stared at the stripper last night.”

He laughed because he knew I can never do that, he knew me too well. Time flies so fast until I didn’t realized it’s been two years. Two years full of happiness because of him and I’m glad I make the right choice. Just like he said before, we arrived at the church ten minutes faster, that means I still have fifteen minutes to prepare before the ceremony begin. The wedding organizer told me that Ga In was looking for me since 10 minutes ago in the pavillion. I told Byung Hee to wait at the church while I go looking for Ga In. She was sitting alone when I came in.

“Do you know what time it is?”

“At least I’m here. It’s partly your fault, you know that?”

“Why, because of last night’s party?”

I squinted. “What else?” My eyes scanned the room. “By the way, where are your parents?”

“I think they’re greeting the guest.”

I nod and gave her the bouquet, she looks pretty in that simple yet elegant wedding dress. Yes, she’s the one who’s getting married today. Not long after, her father came in along with the wedding organizer. She told us that it’s about time to start the ceremony now so I help her organize her gown.

“See you at the altar. I need to go in first now.”

I waved at her and walked to the church, looking for Byung Hee. He’s the bestman so we’re entering the church together. After we separate our way, I turned left and he turned right, the groom is entering the church and walking through the aisle while waving and smiling to the guests. He stopped in front of the altar and spun around, waiting for his bride. When the music start, I saw the church gate opened and Ga In stand beside her father. They start walking through the aisle. She smiled so brightly and kept staring at the groom. They’re so in love with each other.

I still can’t believe she finally found her perfect man, after so many men she’s hang out with. I remembered when we had a big fight for the first time. She’s being stubborn and didn’t want to listen to me when I said the man she’s marrying now is the right man for her at that time. She even left our apt for one week without telling me where she stayed. At that time, I felt really sad but now I smile everytime I remember that. I’m glad she finally come to her sense and married him.

She finally arrived in front of the altar, her father let go of her hand from his arm and gave it to the groom. Together they’re facing the altar. The holy matrimony begins when the priest start talking. After they switched vows, I took the bouquet from her hand while Byung Hee handed the rings to the groom. I saw Ga In almost can’t hold her tears when he put the ring into her finger, I almost cried because of her too. They’re now became man and wife then the priest gave permission to the groom to kiss the bride. The wedding march played, I handed back her bouquet and together they walked out from the church.

Outside the church, their friends already wait at the stairs ready to throw flowers petal to them. After photo session in front of the church, they’re moving to the reception area which is garden party at the hotel. Ga In changed her wedding gown to a simple one without tail to make her move easily on the grass. I was standing with Byung Hee beside the drinks table when someone called my name.

“Hye Rin ssi, nice to meet you again.”

I widened my eyes when I recognize who called me. What did Ga In think, inviting Tae Woo to her wedding?

“Oh, Tae Woo ssi. I didn’t know you’re here. How are you doing?”

“I’m fine.” He smiled then looked at GI. “I’m glad she finally found her perfect man.”

“Eh? Ah, I guess she is.”

“Well, I better greet her before she’s busy with the others again. See you.”

“Oh, okay.”

Then I turned around to look at Byung Hee, he just smiled. Not long after, someone called his name. We both turned our head to the voice. I widened my eyes for the second times, Ga In must be lost her mind for inviting all her ex to her wedding.

“Hyeok Soo ya, when did you come?” Byung Hee asked him.

“Awhile. I can’t make it to the church cause I got schedule but I can’t stay longer here too cause I still need to go to other places. Hye Rin ssi, nice to meet you.”

I nod, too shock to say a word.

“Ah, I see. Then you should greet the newlyweds first.” Byung Hee helped me answered.

“Okay then, I’ll see you later.”

I looked at Byung Hee in disbelief and he laughed at me when he looked at my expression.

“I wonder what was in that crazy girl's mind, inviting all her ex to her wedding? Tell me Byung Hee ssi, is this a wedding party or an ex reunion? There have been two exes that came here this far and I’m sure there’s gonna be the others.”

“Take it easy. I’m sure Ga In has reasons for doing this.”

“I’m not gonna let her go before she gave me a good explanation about this.”

I took a deep breath, I’m sure there’s still some guy right here that was her ex that I never know. I saw her still mingled with others before she finally saw me standing with Byung Hee and she dragged her husband along to join us. It’s time to interrogate her. I pulled her closer to me and half whispered to her ear, she keep her smile on her face.

“Are you out of your mind, inviting all your exes to this wedding? Did he know about this?”

She knew who I was talking about and she answered my question calmly.

“Of course he knew. Besides, what’s wrong with me inviting them here? Even though they’re all my exed, it doesn’t mean that we’re enemy right?”

“That’s true but still, it doesn’t feel right. Didn’t you consider how they feel looking at you marrying other man?”

“Hey, I was cleanly broke up with them and they seemed okay with that. So why you were the one who concern the most?”

I sighed. “It’s useless to talk with you. You always do whatever you want to do.”

She nudged me.

“Ga In ssi, congrats for the wedding.” Byung Hee suddenly spoke to her.

“Thanks. Byung Hee ssi, what took you so long to put the ring on her finger?”

I stared at her.

“You better tied her up fast before she run. Don’t you envy us?”

She spun around to look at her husband and suddenly they kiss passionately. I let out a deep sighed. “Newlyweds.”

“Hey, it’s my wedding and I have the full rights to kiss my husband.”

Right, I shouldn’t be so surprised she can do crazy thing like this. I saw the wedding organizer walked to our place and told her that it’s time to throw the bouquet. She was walking together with her husband when she suddenly spun around and looked at me.

“Make sure you join this event or else, you know what I can do if I didn’t saw your face among the crowds. Get it?”

I looked at Byung Hee. “How can he stand with her threatening behavior like that?”

I was half heartedly when I stand among the crowds. Actually, it doesn't matter whether I got the bouquet or not cause I’ll still get married. That's right, I’m engaged with Byung Hee and we’re on our way preparing the wedding which planned to take place in few more months. When she threw her bouquet, my hand automatically stretch up and grabbed it. She looked happy when she saw I got it. I showed the bouquet to Byung Hee and smiled. He walked towards me.

“This is ridiculous. I should’ve given this to the singles or other couples. I don’t think we still need this.”

“That’s okay. Just look at this as a sign that our wedding will run smoothly.”

“Do you think so?”

We both laughed then he curled his arm around my waist and pulled my body closer. He gave me so much happiness these past two years and I’m intent to pay his kindness by giving him happiness too.

*****

The plane landed in Incheon International Airport at four pm. After clearing the immigration, I took a cab and go back to Seoul, the city I’ve left for the last two years. The headoffice has assigned me to a new position in new department, that’s why they sent me back to Seoul. I’m gonna missed my life at New York but I missed my hometown the most. I missed the food, the neighborhood, I missed….her.

I admit when she didn’t show up at the airport two years ago, I feel upset but also dissapointed. Upset because I was so easily fell into Ji Eun trap and dissapointed because she didn’t gave me another chance, but I never blame her for that. If I was on her position maybe I'll do the same thing. Since then, I tried to erase her from my head and my heart. But it looks like only my head who wanted to compromise while my heart won’t. So during my two years in New York, I kept her in my heart.

There were times when I told myself to get another woman so I can forget her quickly. But every time I did that, I always looked for her similarity in other girls so I never get into any relationship. Call me crazy but that’s exactly how I feel.

It’s already night when I finally arrived at my apartment. Lucky for me, I didn’t have to cleaned the apartment tonight cause I still have one week before go to work. It’s really dusty and I think I need one or two days to clean it all plus unpacked my belongings and re-organize them. I pulled out a clean blanket from the drawer, dust it off a little bit then spread it on top of my bed. I forced myself to rest earlier so that I can overcome my jetlag sooner.

First day comeback to Seoul office feels familiar yet a little bit awkward to me. One or two things have changed here and there but the ambience is still the same. While waiting in front of the elevator, I heard a conversation behind me.

“Do you know that someone from New York came today?” Woman no 1 asked.

“Hm, I heard that but I don’t know which dept.”

“I heard that he’s the new manager in your department.”

“Really? How does he look? Have you seen him?” Woman no. 2 sounds curious.

“How should I know? I never even met him. But I heard he was previously an employee here but sent to New York by headoffice and now he’s back.”

“I forgot we just got in here for six months, no wonder we never met him. But I hope he looks handsome, at least that can brighten up my day.”

“How I wish he would go to my dept.” Woman no. 1 sounds dissapointed.

Woman no. 2 laughed. “Sorry, I guess it’s my lucky day.”

At the same time the conversation ended, the elevator’s door opened and I got the chance to look at two women behind me before. I smiled. It looks like not all people here knew that I’m coming back. I need to report to HR department first before I can start to work because I still don’t know where my office is. I’m glad because some of HR staff still recognized me. One of them took me to twentieth floor where the new department located. I asked him while walking to my new office.

“So, how’s office these two years?”

“As you can see, some minor changes here and there. The rest of them are still the same.”

“It looks like not all people here knew I came back.”

“We only inform the management level but they didn’t know when you’ll come and as for your new department, they only knew that there’s gonna be new manager on their department. By the way, your old boss Jung Byung Hee has been promoted to assistant director.”

“Really? Where’s his office?”

“On 30th floor.”

If Hyung has been promoted then someone must taken his position. I know who take it but I still asked him, just to make sure. “Then who’s the new manager in marketing now?”

“Moon Hye Rin.”

I nod and continue walked, never thought that hearing her names again would startled me. I don’t know what I’m gonna do if we met. I still busy with my thoughts when we finally arrived at my new office, Business Analyst department. After brief introduction to my staffs, I went to my room and start working then suddenly I thought of visiting Byung Hee Hyung first. He mustn’t know that I start working today. I stepped out from my room and walked towards the elevator. When the elevator door opened, I stepped in and pressed my destination floor. Arrived in front of his office, his secretary told me that he’s in the office but I asked her not to inform him cause I want to make a surprise. I opened the door to his office. He’s looking down to the document in front of him.

“Miss Kim, I told you don’t bother me for a while.”

“Do I look like Miss Kim to you?” I smiled.

His hand suddenly stop writing when he heard my voice then slowly raised his head up, he looks surprised when he looked at me but he smiled. Then he stood up from the chair and walked towards me, he hugged me.

“Chang Sun ah, it’s a surprised to see you here. Come, let’s sit.”

I walked towards the chair in front of his desk. “When did you arrive?”

“I’ve been here for a week. How’s you doing, Hyung?”

“Fine. I’m glad you finally came back, I thought you want to stay there longer.”

“Well, actually I’ll still coming back even though the headoffice didn’t call me. I miss Korea so much. By the way, congrats for your promotion.”

“Thanks.”

We talked almost two hours, mostly he asked me how my life at New York is and not even once he mentioned about Hye Rin in front of me. When I think its long enough I bothered him, I excused myself and went back to my office. We promised to have lunch together sometimes. On the way back to my office, I decided to stop by at the marketing department. I asked one of the staff about his manager but he said that Hye Rin was out of town and didn’t know when she’ll come back. I nodded and walked back to my office, looks like it wasn’t my lucky day to meet her.

*****

“Sang Hyun ssi, don’t forget to drop the proposal Masato-San gave us last night to the translator services and tell them I need it in three days.”

“Okay, I go now.”

Sang Hyun and I were just came back today from meeting with our branch in Japan. Since I still got so many things to do, I decided to go back to the office rather than to the apartment. Since Ga In married, now I lived alone in the apartment because I don’t like to live together with strangers. I looked at my watch, it’s almost lunch time. I decided to go to Byung Hee's office to make a surprise for him. He doesn’t know that I’m coming back today because I didn't give him the exact date. I told his secretary to not informed him about my presence when I arrived at his office. I pulled out my cell phone and make a call.

“Byung Hee ssi.”

“Oh, Hye Rin ah. What is it?”

“I just want to inform you that maybe I can’t go back to Seoul today. Is it okay with you?” I tried so hard to keep my tone normal.

“Of course I’m not okay.” He laughed then continues. “I’m kidding, just finished your job there quickly so that you can come back here faster.”

“But today I feel like having lunch together with you. Should I go back to Seoul for lunch or maybe you can come to Japan for just couple hours?”

He laughed at my request. “What are you saying all of sudden? Of course you can’t go back here and I can’t go there just for lunch. It tooks time to travel.”

“Okay then, if you don’t want to come here then I’ll go back to Seoul.” I was walking to his door while saying that.

“Hye Rin ah, you can’t do that.”

I opened his office door and smiled. “Who says I can’t do that?”

He looked surprised when he saw me standing in his office then he smiled and walked towards me. I put down my phone and walked into his embraces. He hugged me tightly for seconds then he pulled away his body to look at me.

“Are you coming straight from the airport?”

“Hm.”

“I can't believe when you told me to go to Japan just for lunch and I take it too serious until I didn’t realized that you’re joking with me.”

I laughed. “You’re way too serious until you can’t tell whether it’s joke or not, you know that?”

“So you’re an expert in teasing me right now huh?”

“I tried to.”

We both laughed then he hugged me again. “Hye Rin ah, I haven’t seen you only for four days and I already missed you so much.”

“I miss you too. Shall we go lunch now?”

“Okay, come on.”

He took my hand and we both walked out from his office. We headed to the nearest restaurant which is apparently almost crowded but we managed to get an empty seat. While waiting for our food, we continue our chat.

“So, how’s your meeting with Masato-San?”

“It went smooth, he gave me his proposal last night and I already asked Sang Hyun to drop it at the translator services.”

“Good, I expect we can have meeting within this week.”

“I’m working on it.”

“Now, let’s drop this discussion. I need to tell you something.”

“Wait, let me talked first before I forgot. I was called by the bridal that our clothes are ready and they scheduled us for fitting this Saturday. Can you make it?”

“Saturday?” He put on his thinking face for a minute then he smiled. “I don’t think I can make it because I have a date with my fiancé on that day.”

“Are you taking revenge on me now?”

“I wouldn’t do that to my pretty fiancé.”

Eewww, I only left you for four days and you already changed into casanova.”

He still continues his wooing. “I turn into casanova only in front of you.”

I laughed. “Okay, stop it. You’re making me goosebumps. Anyway, what do you want to tell me earlier?”

Before he started talking, our food came.

“Chang Sun came to my office this morning. He already came back from New York.”

The knife on my hand suddenly stopped from cutting the steak when I heard the name. I was looking at my plate and frowned for a second then quickly return to my concious and start cutting my steak again. I tried to control my tone when talking back to Byung Hee.

“I see. Is he back for good?”

“He said at first it was headquarter’s order but he’ll still back even though there’s no such order. As far as I know when they sent him to New York, it was supposed to be only two years.”

“Where did they put him?”

“In the new department. Business Analyst.”

I nod. I thought all this time I already forgot that name but when I heard it again, I begin to startle. And now he’s even back in town. That means my chance to meet him is big enough even though we’re not in the same dept again. Just the thought of meeting him coincidentally already make my heart beat fast, I don’t know what I’m gonna do if I really met him.

I showed no emotion when Byung Hee talked about Chang Sun and when we walked back to the office. When I finally sit on my chair, I can’t stop thinking about Chang Sun’s comeback. My mind suddenly filled up with this news when I still got many tasks to do. Not long after my phone ringing.

“Ya, Moon Hye Rin. How come you came back this morning and didn’t let me know? Did you already forget that you still have friend name Han Ga In?”

“Mianhae, Ga In ah. It’s almost lunch time when I arrived at the office so I decided to ask Byung Hee out for lunch.”

“I forgot that Byung Hee is number one now and I was kicked down to number two.”

Ya, don’t you think you do the same thing to me after you married? It’s always your husband first then me. You don’t know how miserable I am lived alone in the apartment last week.”

“That’s different. Of course I have to put my hubby first because I lived with him. And why don’t you look for roommates?”

“That’s the same case with me and Byung Hee. And you know I don’t like to live with strangers.”

She laughed. “Oh my God, I missed this kind of fight with you. I really wished I can live together with you again but mianhae chingu, I loved my hubby more than you.”

“Crazy girl.” I laughed with her. “What do you want anyway?”

“How’s your wedding preparation?”

“Byung Hee and I were having an appoinment at the bridal this saturday for clothes fitting.” Then I frowned. “Why did you suddenly asked me this?”

She paused for seconds before continue talked. “I want to tell you something but please don’t get too anxious.”

I can sense she must be talking about Chang Sun’s comeback. “Are you gonna tell me that Chang Sun is back in town?”

“How did you know that?”

“Byung Hee told me when we’re having lunch. Where did you meet him?”

“I didn’t meet him. I only saw him when I was walking to the cafeteria. At first I don’t believe what I saw but my staff confirmed to me that he's back in town and they put him in the new dept.”

“I know that.”

“Hye Rin ah, I warned you. You better not let your heart waver because of him again. If by any chance you met him, just remember what misery he gave to you and what kindness Byung Hee gave to you for two years. You shouldn’t dissapoint Byung Hee, you hear me?”

“Aren’t you thirsty lecturing me that long?”

“I have a glass of water beside me. Ya! I’m not joking right now. Be serious, will ya?”

“Okay, I’m serious now and I hear you. I will not let my heart waver because of him.” Which I can’t guarantee if I met him someday, I added in my heart. “Satisfied?”

“Good. Just remember Byung Hee if you happened to met him accidentally.”

“Yes, ma’am. Anything else?”

I heard she speak to someone then she turned to the phone. “Oh, I want to talk to you longer but I gotta go. Talk to you later.”

I hung up the phone and my head start to think. Two peoples have seen him today and I wonder why he still hasn’t looking for me. Could it be that he still dissapointed because I didn’t showed up that day? But no matter what, I prefer he never looking for me cause that will be awkward for both of us.

*****

Should I try looking for her again? Who knows I might be lucky this time. I’m just curious how she looked after two years. Maybe I can saw her from afar, just to make sure that she looked okay. I walked into the elevator and pressed the marketing floor. When I walked out, I met Ga In in front of the door. We both looked at each other for a while before I finally greet her first.

“Ga In ssi.”

“Chang Sun ssi.” She stopped for a while before continue. “Can we talk for a moment?”

She didn’t wait for my answer and turned around walking away from the elevator. I followed her from behind and continue walking until she stopped near the emergency stairs. She turned around and looked at me.

“So you’re back for good now, huh?”

“I guess so.”

“Look, I’m not trying to be rude here but please don’t try looking for Hye Rin. She’s engaged now so please leave her alone.”

I was taken aback for a while and can't believe what I heard. “She’s what?”

“She’s engaged, with Byung Hee. And they’re gonna married in next few months.”

Her engagement news has taken my breath away. She’s engaged with hyung but why he didn’t mention about this when we met this morning.

“So I beg you not to show up in front of her. I don’t want her heart waver because of you. She had been suffering too much and she deserved to be happy. You two had already chosen your own path since two years ago.”

She walked away and left me alone here, trying to absorb the news. Ga In’s right, we already chose our own path since that day and if she chose to be with hyung then I’m happy for her. I’m not gonna crossing her path now.