GETTING TO KNOW YOU THROUGH TEXT

Unbeknownst: The story of the Unlikely Pair

 

Joy woke up in a blazing anger. She had hardly caught enough sleep despite the tiring practice yesterday along with Donghae Sunbae-nim's party. However,  her mind couldn't stop thinking of her certain Seassang fan who had said something unusual. 

 

The whole night Joy had been attempting to recall all the faces within the party trying to imagine the identity of her very special fan. 

 

However, despite catching only 1 hour of sleep, Joy was still completely lost on her internal investigation. Now, Joy has to complete today's fully packed schedule with only 1 hour of sleep and a very irritated persona. 

 

Taking the phone next to her pillow, Joy had begun to punch words into the screen. 

 

Joy: 

It's morning now. 

Tell me who you are. 

 

Joy stood up from her bed and walked towards the bathroom after dumping her phone back on its original spot next to her pillow. After a hot steaming shower, Joy emerged from the bathroom fully dressed in casual clothing with dripping hair. She slowly waltzed towards her bed and picked up her phone expecting a reply to her previously sent a message, however, a frown has plastered on her face as she has seen that there were no new replies. 

 

Frustrated, joy ran her fingers along her soaked long ebony hair, "How can he not reply?" she wondered, "I thought he would have been happy that I texted him first this morning?" 

 

Seeing her downcast face, Yeri had walked over to her Unnie and asked, "What's up?" 

 

"Nothing much," Joy replied with a sigh, "Just feeling bored and sleepy this morning."

 

Yeri raised her perfectly arched eyebrow, "Why? what happen to your daily morning giggling? Did you not get your morning text from your special Seassang fan?" 

 

Joy stiffen from her sudden questions, "First of all, I don't giggle," she turned her body around, her back facing the younger girl, "And lastly, I don't know what you are talking about."

 

Yeri looked at her attempts to feign innocence before letting a snort escape her lips, "Sure, whatever lets you sleep at night Unnie." 

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

Seungcheol had woken up from his deep slumber reaching for his phone. It had been like a ritual to him, text her before sleeping and text her after waking. 

 

However, once he had looked at his holy message thread with her, he had realised how much he had stuffed up. 

 

In his happiness, he had sent a text to her which gave her an idea of who he is. As much as Seungcheol wanted her to know who he really was, he knew that they wouldn't be able to talk normally together. Seungcheol wasn't dumb even though he can sometimes be overly excited, he knew that things had been awkward for them ever since the accident. However, when they had talked over the phone, the young girl had expressed a comfortable persona that had surprised even Seungcheol himself. 

 

Her level of comfortability with Seungcheol was what he treasured about their secret conversations. And he knew he was willing to fight tooth and nail just to keep things to the way that they were before. 

 

Unknown number: 

Why are you so interested in knowing who I am? 

Have you already fallen for me? 

 

Re-reading his message, Seungcheol had thought that he sounded natural despite his doomed feeling. 

 

Joy: 

Stop trying to change the topic,

answer me, who are you? 

 

A string of colourful words left his lips when he had read that Joy had completely read his intentions. She was one smart cookie. Of course, he did not expect any less from the girl who had caught his attention after all. thinking of his best escape plan, Seungcheol had begun to type his response to her.

 

His loud cursing had caught some of 's attention. Woozi and Hoshi had shared his room and were startled when their leader had been looking extremely tense while looking at his phone. 

 

"Talking to Joy?" Woozi questioned the focused muscular male who showed no response, "Yah! S.Coups, Coups! Coups! Seungcheol! Earth calling Seungcheol!"

 

Seeing that the boy was still unresponsive, Woozi had though for his most imaginative lie "Hoshi had died, he fell inside the pink flamingoes enclosure in the zoo and got pecked to death." 

 

"I told him not to get too excited around pink flamingoes, what's wrong with h-" Before he could finish, Seungcheol's brain seemed to have caught up with what he was saying, snapping his head towards the small devil next to the breathing Hoshi, "Yah! Jihoon (Woozi) if you tell me another lie about a member dying I will drown your short and hang it for everyone to see." 

 

Woozi had naturally cackled in response. Seungcheol had always been to wrung up when he is distracted by anything.

 

Unknown number: 

If I tell you then it would be boring, wouldn't it? 

How about we play a game to get to know each other? and then we can guess who the person is at the end! 

 

Seungcheol had waited patiently for her reply, silently praying that the girl was merciful enough to take the bait. 

 

Joy: 

Fine, we'll do it your way. 

What did you have in mind? 

 

Seungcheol gave a sigh of relief, allowing himself to breathe again, he had smiled and showed his roommates her reply feeling proud that he had somehow managed to escape a nasty confrontation between the Ex-Maknae of Red Velvet. 

 

"Why did you even get in this mess Hyung?" Hoshi asked the now happy male.

 

"I kind of told her that I was at Donghae Hyung's birthday that day," Seungcheol replied nonchalantly. 

 

Seungcheol's reply had caused the boys to burst in laughter. Oh, the mighty had fallen. He had found himself in an ugly hole that he himself had dug out. 

 

"You know what?" Seungcheol looked at the boys, "Shut up!" 

 

Unknown number: 

How about we play 20 -20 questions? 

 

Seungcheol waited patiently for a reply. 

 

Joy: 

We can but I don't trust you. You will tell me lies to try me get confused. 

 

Seungcheol had smiled at her response. She sure was quick and witty for someone who looked so cute. 

 

Unknown number: 

Okay, What did you want me to do? 

 

It didn't take her a minute to reply to his question. 

 

Joy: 

How about you give the phone to any of your friends and he can answer my questions for you?

But you can still ask me your questions. 

 

Seungcheol didn't waste time, quickly typing his reply.

 

Unknown number: 

Okay, though I am pretty sure my friends will probably confuse you more. 

You should do it too then! I wouldn't know if you are lying too! 

 

A minute later, Joy's replied had brought a smile to his face. 

 

Joy: 

I just want to know your dirty secrets so I can blackmail you in the future. 

Sure, I will give it to Yeri then. You better actually give it to a friend when you answer. 

Okay, you start. 

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

Joy had been waiting to start their little game when Jinuk Oppa had called them downstairs as they were supposed to travel to the building to practice their upcoming album. While in the car, her phone had beeped and flashed signalling a new unread message.

 

Unknown number: 

Why is your name Joy?

I personally like Park Soo Young better. 

 

Joy smiled, as much as she loves her stage name she still prefers being called Park Sooyoung. Knowing that her special fan had known and preferred her real name over her stage name shows his dedication to her. It made her feel a little warm and funny on the inside. 

 

Joy handed her phone to the Maknae beside her who scoffed at the question. Without any delay, Yeri had explained the reason as to why Joy had attained such name during her trainee period. 

 

Once the answer was given, Yeri had given the phone back to Joy who was eager to ask him a question. 

 

Joy: 

How did you know that I was attending Donghae Sunbae's party that other day? 

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

Seungcheol scrambled to give his phone to the best liar on the group. Surprisingly, the best liar happened to be the gentleman Joshua. Though people call him Jisoos (because his name is Jisoo and he is very gentleman like) he unexpectantly was the most natural liar on the group. 

 

Heck, he even got most of the fans fooled that he, in fact, was the most good-natured member. However, once home, the members had experienced his random mood swings where it would seem that he had shredded his sheep's clothing to show off his real wolfish persona.

 

"What's this Hyung?" Joshua had read the conversation between his leader and his sister-in-law, "What do you want me to do?" 

 

"Ahh, Jisoo can you please lie to her and make up a reason why I knew she was at the party we attended," Seungcheol paced around the room in worry, "You know how bad I am with telling lies," 

 

JIsoo smiled in reminisce when the leader had attempted to lie for the sake of a hidden camera in the past. Almost everyone had known that he was lying but the members had nonverbally agreed to just go along with the show. He is very bad at telling lies, his eyes would dart from side to side, his mouth would twitch uncontrollably, his palms would sweat like a river and the tips of his ears will burn bright red.

 

Jisoo took the phone and begun to type a carefully thought out reply before pressing the send button.

 

Unknown Number: 

Hyung knew that you were attending the party because one of his friends were close with Donghae-shii and were invited. So he messaged Hyung after he saw you because he knew Hyung likes you.

 

Jisoo gave back Seungcheol's phone before returning to his bed. Seugcheol had given his message a once over before jumping on the unsuspecting male. 

 

"Yah! you told her that I liked her?!" Seungcheol yelled at the now thrashing boy under his tackle, "I'm gonna kill you!" 

 

"Why where's the lies in that?" Jisoo yelled back, "Everybody knows you like her! Don't even deny it, I mean why are you doing this if you don't like her"

 

The leader stood up in his defence, "Why can't I approach her in a friendly manner because I want to be her friend?" 

 

Jisoo looked back and scoffed, "You said the word friend twice, even a nonliving thing would know that your statement just then was a lie."

 

Seungcheol gave a loud sigh, "Now how am I going to fix this?" Coups looked at the evil genius who merely shrugged, "You know what? You're useless!"  With that Seungcheol left his room, slamming the door closed in progress. 

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

Just like that, the messages moved back and forth. Joy had gathered plenty of data regarding her not-so-secret special fan. 

 

She had realised that her fan had oddly resembled her ideal type to an unbelievable extent. Almost giving a textbook like an answer she would have expected from a celebrity. 

 

She had also found out that he is a nugu singer with hopes to become big and turn into acting as a shift in his career. 

 

When asked, he had also stated that his best feature were his eyes. She had wondered how beautiful they were actually, how lost would she find herself if she were to continuously stare at his sets of orbs. 

 

He had also told her that he, in fact, can not eat spicy foods. He had told her of his bad experience when he was little which scarred him for life. 

 

She was pleasantly informed that he was taller than her with a very muscular build. He had saying that he was the iest male between his set of friends. 

 

Her fan had also exclaimed that he was working hard to become famous to the Korean public just like she was in her well known 4th generation girl group. Joy had suspected that he was a trainee in an unknown company to be formed in a boy group. 

 

However, despite the end of the questions, Joy was left more confused than ever. 

 

Despite the failed attempt to correctly identify his overly confident special fan, Joy was determined, and she was sure that she would catch him sooner and later. All she had to do was wait

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

Seungcheol had given a sigh of relief when He had successfully answered her last question without exposing important aspects related to him. 

 

The boys around him had also given a sigh of relief. Apparently, Seungcheol had burst into their rooms, placing his phone in their hands, giving clear and concise instructions to deviate from the truth as much as possible without giving an impossible lie. 

 

This matter had been solved as a group as almost each member had replied to her questions. 

 

"Wow," Jeonghan had raked his hand through his long hair before standing up heading to the abandoned kitchen, "That tired me out, who wants ramen?" 

 

"Me!" Jisoo followed suit. 

 

DK and Seungkwanstood up and followed the leaving members, before DK whispered, "This wouldn't have happened if Hyung was careful." 

 

"Yah!" Seungcheol yelled at the retreating boys, "I can still hear you!" 

 

Seungkwan paid no attention to the leader and replied, "No Hyung, this wouldn't have happened if Seungcheol Hyung was a man enough to just approach her and talk to her. But you saw how he is, all he could do was smile like a goof whenever he was in front of her. It's sad actually." 

 

Seungcheol had fumed in anger hearing the boy's remarks. He had grabbed an empty water bottle before throwing it smack straight to the back of Diva Boo's head, "Yah! do you want to die?" 

 

The8 and Jun had laughed at their antics as they too left their seated positions to move to the empty living room. 

 

"That's what you get for calling Seungcheol Hyung a coward!" Hoshi laughed at the complaining Seungkwan. Unbeknownst to him, Seungcheol had given Hoshi's nape a hard slap. 

 

"Diva Boo did not say anything about me being a coward," Seungcheol stared intimidatingly at their genius choreographer, "Are you saying I'm a coward?" 

 

Hoshi quickly shook his head and cowered behind a retreating Woozi who cackled in response. 

 

The remaining of s had quietly exited his room to find other things to do with Wonwoo looking at the floor when he had passed Seungcheol, not wanting to get his attention. Seungcheol might have a late reaction and might kills him now if he remembers what had happened in the past. 

 

And with that, Seungcheol was left behind in his room smiling at his recent conversation with a certain girl. 

 

However, he did not expect to see her new message to arrive. 

 

Joy: 

You're right, I'm more confused now. 

But that was really fun. Maybe we can do that again to each other in the future. 

 

Seungcheol's chest had somehow tightened and his heart had begun to skip a few beats. He could almost imagine her smiling face as she had typed out that statement. Seyngcheol had shown his happiness as he had caused her to smile.

 

He was about to type a response when another message had arrived from her. 

 

Joy: 

PS. I think our dysfunctional friendship had just evolved. 

Your number is no longer just numbers, it's saved as Saessang-nim :)

 

And with that, Seungcheol's face had begun to heat up. His contact number in her phone had a happy face emoticon. He really couldn't be happier with her response. 

 

He really was a hopeless coward, but never the least he was a happy hopeless coward in love.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

Sorry about the delay. 

I planned to update last week but I was caught up with a lot of things. 

Now my computer had begun to act up, so my updates might be slower. My little sister was fiddling with the computer now I think she had put a virus in it so...

Anyways enjoy this weird transition. I know this is pretty boring but I didn't want Wonwoo to always suffer. 

AND WHAT HAPPENED WHY DID WE ALL BEGIN TO SHIP JOY AND WONWOO AT ONCE?? WE HAVE BEEN TRAITORS TO OUT OWN SHIP!!!