Chapter 11

Tainted

 

 

 

Kyuhyun stands in the center of the empty training room with a frown across his face as he tapped his fingers impatiently against his arms. It was expected that Siwon wouldn’t be in the training room since he was told not to be present during Jongwoon’s training to avoid distractions and interference.

However, Kyuhyun didn’t expect the younger to also not show up.

Having had waited half an hour already, the time now reading 7 a.m., he finally walks out of the room back towards the dormitories. Since newcomers are still under novice-training, many of them shared rooms. Their rooms could be easily accessed as long as whoever is visiting went through the front desk and verified their identity. However, after newcomers pass novice-training, they are allowed individual private rooms.

“What room is Kim Jongwon in?” Kyuhyun questions, striding up to the front desk as the man behind it bowed respectfully to the rank 1 member.

“He is in room 4, sir.”

Kyuhyun mutters a quick word of thanks before walking towards the long hall of rooms, arriving at the desired room quickly. The novice rooms had no locks, so Kyuhyun could have easily barged in. However he knocks twice out of courtesy, knowing that the raven wasn’t the only one in the room.

A few seconds pass before the door opens to reveal a disheveled looking boy, the young trainee squinting a little to try to see better through sleepy eyes.

“Good morning,” Kyuhyun greets, a little surprised that the other wasn’t awake yet considering novice-training for that boy’s ranking was starting soon.

The boy just stares blankly up at Kyuhyun with bleary eyes for a moment, before his expression suddenly changed and his eyes widened in realization, immediately dropping into a full 90 degree bow as he came to recognize the legendary Celestial member.

“G-Good morning sir!” the other stammers, straightening back up when Kyuhyun gave him a slight bow back in acknowledgement. “Wh-What brings you here today?”

“Is Jongwoon here?”

“Oh! Yeah, he’s in the bed on the right,” the other says, stepping away from the door to allow the other in and pointing to the direction of the requested person.

“Sungmin, right? Lee Sungmin?” Kyuhyun asks, recognizing the younger as one of the very few who made it into rank 4 upon the entrance trial.

The younger blushes lightly at the attention received from someone who was considered a celebrity even amongst other clans, and gives a timid nod in response.

“Thank you,” Kyuhyun says simply before stepping past him towards the bed he had pointed out.

Upon seeing a figure curled up in the center of the bed, he lets out an exasperated sigh. Yesung had changed so much since he had last seen him, he was half expecting the other to have gotten rid of this habit as well.

Kyuhyun reaches down and takes a firm grasp of the covers before trying to remove it, only to be stopped by a small, familiar noise of complaint and tiny fingers curling tighter around the warm covers to hold them in place.

A small smile flickers across his lips.

The elder leans down to where he assumes was the younger’s ear, since the boy was still hiding under the sheets, and says softly: “Wake up, princess.”

“If the sun is not up, I’m not up, Kyu,” was the other’s drowsy, slurred and unconscious answer as Sungmin watches in awe at how dismissive Yesung was towards someone as amazing as Cho-freaking-Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun’s heart skips a beat as he watches the other’s small body shift into a more comfortable position beneath the covers, remembering the many mornings he had to wrestle the other out of bed from.

“Is he always like this?” The elder asks, turning to question Yesung’s roommate.

Sungmin shrugs a little. “Most of the time it’s Siwon who wakes him up, and at the sound of his voice, he gets up pretty fast. It’s like Siwon frightens him or something.”

Kyuhyun frowns at the information.

“Yesung, get up. It’s the first day of training.” he persists, pulling the sheets down a little, watching as the raven cringed at the brightness of the room and turns to bury his face in his pillow. Kyuhyun sighs at the old, familiar routine he was going through as he reaches down and manually turns the boy back around.

The younger’s eyes finally open just a crack as he let out an irritated huff, brows furrowing slightly as he tried to glare at Kyuhyun. However, when his eyes began to focus more and he realized exactly what was happening, he shot up so fast he nearly toppled off the bed.

“Are you finally awake?” Kyuhyun asks with an amused smile.

“Why are you here,” Yesung glowers, eyes still scrunched a little from tiredness as he runs a hand through his disheveled raven waves. “Did you forget about our conversation yesterday already?”

Kyuhyun chose not to reply.
He couldn't help but to take in the other’s appearance, eyes following his every movement. The raven black hair and bright blue eyes were definitely different, however he noticed that the younger seemed a lot slimmer, losing a lot of his baby fat, especially around the cheeks. He was physically fit two years ago, but he was more slim and lean now, giving him a more elegant and graceful air around him. He was cute back then, but now he is…. Attractive. Very attractive.

“You’re late,” the elder says, clearing his throat a little as he diverted his eyes, crossing his arms over his chest.

“I don’t remember assigning you to dictate my schedule,” The raven scowls, tossing the covers off of him and throws his legs over the side of the bed, sliding off of it. “I thought I’ve made it clear I don’t ever want to see you again unless it’s necessary.”

“Well it is necessary, first of all, since we’re in the same clan and we are guaranteed to run into each other.” the elder says pointedly, ignoring Sungmin who was trying to discreetly eavesdrop into their conversation.

Yesung simply stands up and brushes past the elder to head towards the restroom, picking up his toothbrush and proceeds to get ready while ignoring the elder.

“Second of all,” Kyuhyun continues, leaning against the doorframe to the bathroom “I’ve been assigned to be your trainer—”

Cue a mouthful of toothpaste and water being spat out by Yesung.

“—again….” The elder finishes, staring at the mess that was currently in front of the younger.

“What the hell did you just say?!” Yesung snaps, eyes wide as he turned to stare at the elder in disbelief, the hand that was clenching tightly at his toothbrush was raised slightly as if one mistake by the other will cause him to stab someone with it.

“I am your trainer,” Kyuhyun repeats bluntly.

“Where is Siwon then?!” The younger snaps, trying to regain his cool as he finished rinsing his mouth and did a hasty job of cleaning his mess up.

“He won’t be joining us during your training. He doesn't need to be there. He’ll only be a distraction.”

“Why isn’t he training me though? He was assigned to me,” Yesung huffs, displeased at the fact that he was the last to know about such changes to his schedule.

Kyuhyun opens his mouth to reply, only to realize he couldn’t and shouldn’t explain the situation to the younger, and he had forgotten to come up with an excuse earlier.
“Uh...because the Celestial administrators would prefer it if you trained under a clan member rather than an outsider now that you’re an official member.” he fabricates on the spot.

The younger eyes him suspiciously for a second, but decided not to think too much into it. As long as he was getting proper training, he couldn’t care less about who was training.

Yesung glances at the time and notices that he was running really late. He quickly hustles out of the bathroom and strips out of his sleepwear, paying no mind to his roommate and trainer as he dug through his bags half for his clothes.

However, when he turns around, he catches the elder staring at him.
“Stop that,” he scowls, despite feeling his heart flutter at the way the other gazed at him. It wasn’t lustful, needy, or wanton. It was a warm gaze, as if he was just truly admiring and appreciating the raven before him.

“It’s not like I’ve never seen you before,” Kyuhyun mutters with a slight roll of his eyes, earning a short gasp of shock from Sungmin who immediately clamped a hand over his mouth when he realized it was a little too loud.

Correction,” Yesung starts as he spun around to face the brunette, prodding a finger into Kyuhyun’s firm chest as he glared up at him. “You have seen me half , nothing more.”

Sungmin looked about ready to whip out a bag of popcorn to enjoy this drama playing out before him in his very own room; between the hot, legendary warrior and the desirably attractive and powerful royal newcomer.

“Are you sure?” the elder teases with a slight smirk.

Utter shock crosses the raven’s face, then disbelief, then confusion. He quickly shakes his head to clear his mind and aggressively shoves the elder.
“Shut the hell up, you are ing insane.” he says through gritted teeth. “I’ve never been in front of you.”

Kyuhyun simply shrugs, watching as the raven pulled on a pair of black jeans that hugged so tightly to the younger, his eyes began to linger for a little too long on those shapely legs and—

Stop,” the younger says, knowing the elder was staring without even turning around.

“Hurry up,” was all Kyuhyun had to respond.

“You can’t rush perfection,” Yesung snaps, tugging on a black fitted T-shirt before turning to grab his belt, fastening it around his waist before securing another part of it to his thigh.
Once more, Kyuhyun couldn’t seem to keep his eyes to himself as he stared at a Yesung in all black, the traditional attire for Celestial’s.

“You look amazing,” he whispers.

Yesung held his breath for a moment at his words, his movements coming to a brief halt.
“I think we need a proper talk,” the raven mutters, avoiding eye contact as he went back to finish getting ready, reaching for a dagger and securing it to his thigh.

“That’s what I’ve been trying to do,” Kyuhyun sighs in exasperation. “You just keep avoiding me though.”

“Well now you get your wish,” Yesung huffs, walking to his bedside and pulling out a cherry wood box. He lifts the lid to reveal the pair of Sai daggers, the black metal glinting in the light.

Kyuhyun his head a little to the side as he stared at them, brows furrowing a little in curiosity. “May I see one?” he asks, never having seen Sai daggers before.

Yesung glances up at him warily for a moment before turning the box a little so that it now faced the elder, watching Kyuhyun pick one up gently.

Kyuhyun holds one in his hand for a moment, feeling the evenly balanced weight in it. It wasn’t too light nor too heavy, adjusted perfectly for it to be used as a pair without it requiring a lot of strength to maneuver. He runs his fingers lightly over the edge in admiration, wanting to feel the keen edge, only to wince when he felt it pierce his skin upon contact.

Yesung was in front of him in a second, hands reaching out to bring the other’s injured one to him.

“What the hell were you thinking?” the younger scolds, forgetting about everything as he brings the bleeding finger up to his lips.

A distant squeak of excitement was heard in the background from Sungmin.

Kyuhyun shutters at the feel of the warm, soft lips against his fingertips, watching as the younger fretted over him.

“Why are you worrying about me?” he laughs softly, moving his hand a little so that it now held the other’s smaller ones. “You still haven’t properly bandaged your own from the duel,”

“It’s fine,” Yesung huffs, “I heal fast,”

“Come, I’ll re-bandage your hand in the training room where there’s sterilized bandages .” Kyuhyun says, gently holding the other’s much smaller ones as he headed towards the door, only to be stopped by the younger.

“Wait, at least put a band-aid on that,” The raven frowns.

“We’re dhampirs,” Kyuhyun says with a roll of his eyes, “This small cut will heal in an hour. But yours will require a few days, and proper bandaging will help it’s healing process.”

“Yeah, but still,” the younger says with a small whine. “Maybe you’ll get it infected within that hour!”

The elder sighs a little, remembering how stubborn the younger could get. “FIne,” he muttered, letting go of the younger’s hand and sticking it forward for the younger to bandage.

“It’s quite deep actually,” Yesung says quietly as he inspected the wound, picking up a tissue to gently blot at the blood, only to release an angry huff followed by a small pout as he glared up at the elder. “What were you thinking, touching a blade like that? You know Celestial’s must keep their weapons constantly sharp.” he says, turning around to open a drawer and pulls out a box of bandaids.

“It looked sharp, so I wanted to see how sharp it actually is,” Kyuhyun says in his defense, only to realize how dumb he must’ve sounded.

“Yeah, and you’re not that sharp,” Yesung snaps.

Kyuhyun frowns at that comment, watching as the younger wrapped a band-aid around his injured finger.

“There, ” The younger says with a self-content smile, finally releasing the elder’s hand by swatting it away.

Kyuhyun stares at the band-aid for a moment in disbelief.
“They’re turtles?” he says quizzically, staring at the oddly colorful and cartoony bandaid on his finger, contrasting greatly against his usual stoic appearance and black attire.
Maybe Yesung didn’t change as much as he thought.

“Shut the up and go,” Yesung glares once he realized what had occurred between them, grabbing both of his daggers as he shoved at the other to get him out of the room.

“Have a fun training session!” Sungmin calls out after the two with a knowing grin.

 

 


 

 

“AGAIN!” Kyuhyun shouts from where he stood high above the training course.

The younger looked physically tired as he glanced up at Kyuhyun briefly, sweaty and out of breath, but he didn’t voice it out as he grasped his daggers tighter and clenched his teeth, preparing himself for the course again.

The training course was made for Celestial members to improve, the course changing and readjusting every time according to the warrior’s abilities. So upon each enter, the difficulty of the course and the exit to the maze changes every time.

Yesung had been doing it over and over again for three hours straight now, and after each time he cleared it, Kyuhyun would make him redo it all again. And every time he entered, it became more and more difficult.

Kyuhyun watches as the course switches up once again, the green light turning on once it was ready, the younger charging in once again. Yesung had been doing every course almost perfectly every time, in record time too. In a few hours, the younger had already passed through several Rank 5, Rank 4, Rank 3, and Rank 2 courses. He was now on the last one of the Rank 1 courses. Most Celestial members are only capable of finishing their own ranking perfectly, not all. Only an S-Class can pass all…..and the younger was so close.

The younger started the new course out fine. However, perhaps due to exhaustion, he didn’t detect the dummy that came up behind him as he focused on what was before him. He notices it at the very last second, and spins around with his arms up in front him as he braces for the impact. The dummy rams into him with full force and the younger skids back from the momentum and impact, legs spreading wider and feet digging harder into the dirt ground as he tried to hold his ground.

However, that one second of error had already costed him the whole course and caused an obstacle buildup. Before the younger could regain himself completely, two more charged at him. He was barely able to stop one and pierce it with his dagger before the second one came towards him from the side, Yesung quickly raising his arms up in defense once again as the second one knocked into him. It came at him a lot harder this time, the impact causing pain to surge through his arms he had in front him, causing him to lose his grip and the daggers went flying out of reach as he fell and skidded on his back.

Kyuhyun immediately presses the ‘stop’ button and the course comes to a complete halt, the maze opening up to allow an exit. He jumps down from the tall platform with such elegance and poise that one could only be jealous of, striding up to the younger who was still on his back on the ground, panting heavily from exhaustion.

“Get up,” he commands.

Still gasping for breath, Yesung obeys and turns over onto his front, trying to push himself up onto his hands and knees only to wince in pain when he put weight on his left wrist.

In one swift movement, Kyuhyun had pulled the younger up into a standing position without causing him further pain, surprising Yesung greatly when he found himself on his feet, facing Kyuhyun who had one of his arms around the raven’s waist securely.

Yesung couldn’t tell if his heart was pounding because of his vigorous workout or because of how close he was to the other, their chests pressed firmly together, faces mere inches away.

“Are you hurt?” the brunette questions in concern, reaching down to try to inspect the injury, but the younger pushes him away roughly, stumbling a little when the other released him.

“I’m fine,” the raven snaps, flexing both of his hands a little to test them, only to wince again.

“You’ve gotta stop lying eventually,” Kyuhyun sighs, deciding to give the younger the space he so stubbornly demanded, walking forward a little to grab the daggers that the raven dropped. “Come,” he said, handing them back to the younger. “Follow me,”

 

 


 

 

Yesung had actually expected to be lead to another training room after a little bit of walking.
However, he found himself walking through a fortified wall and into a vast green field instead with several buildings that had people bustling in and out.

“Where are we?” the younger frowns, sheathing his daggers into his thigh harness when he realized he didn’t need them anymore.

“Sector 6,” the elder said, glancing back a little as he continued walking.

“Sector 6?” Yesung questions, causing the elder to halt, the younger nearly running into him.

“Ah, right,” Kyuhyun mutters under his breath, brows furrowing together as he turned to face the younger completely. “On the first day of training, you’re supposed to get a brief over of the Celestial’s grounds aren’t you?”

“Why are you asking me?!” the younger says in astonishment

“Hm,” the elder hums nonchalantly, “Anyways, this is Sector 6—”

“Good morning, Cho Kyuhyun-ssi,” a female voice interrupts flirtatiously, the both of them turning to see a girl waving shyly at the Rank 1 Celestial.

The addressed man simply pulls on a noticeably strained smile with a curt nod in reply, causing the younger to stare at him questioningly. However, the small acknowledgement was satisfying enough for the young girl as she let out a happy giggle and scurried on her way.

“Sector 6 is Celestial’s—”

“Kyuhyun-ssi!” two more voices interject. “Have a nice day~”

Once again, the elder simply gives the two a nod and a small smile.

Yesung simply watches the other’s awkward interaction in amusement.
He never really knew just how popular and renowned Kyuhyun was until recently, since Yesung spent a good two years on the run from the Dhampir world. It was now very obvious to the raven that Kyuhyun was not only known for his skills as a Celestial warrior, but also how dashing and handsome he is.

“Don’t be so awkward with them,” Yesung laughs, jogging a little to catch up when Kyuhyun continued on without him. “They think you have a cute ,”

“I’m not interested in them,” the elder answers bluntly.

“Then what could you be interested in?” the raven continues to laugh, finding it too amusing. However his laughter fades when he realized what the answer is going to be, blushing slightly when Kyuhyun turns back to look at him with a raised brow. The younger clears his throat awkwardly as he avoids eye contact. “Anyways, Sector 6?”

Kyuhyun smiles to himself a little as he continued walking. “The Celestial grounds are separated in several Sectors—each Sector has a different purpose. Sector 6 is our medical aid and care section for the Celestial Clan. Those who get sick or injured from missions come here for treatment,” the elder explains. “Another Sector would be Sector Zero, the Celestial Capital,”

“Hi Kyuhyun!” A voice beams upon entrance of one of the many buildings, Yesung thinking it was another one of Kyuhyun’s many fangirls. However, upon further inspection, he realized it was actually Amber.

“Amber?” Kyuhyun frowns. “What are you still doing here? The trials are over now,”

“I know,” She smiles. “I’m taking a break from the Academy to get further training in emergency medical care,” she explains.

“Shouldn’t you being doing that in the Eruditi Clan then?” The elder questions, guiding Yesung towards one of the many inspection tables.

“No,” Amber answers with a happy grin. “Only in the Celestial Clan will I be able to actually work with injured Dhampirs. Anyways, I’m mostly just following where my instructor goes,”

“Hello Hello!” Another voice joins in, bringing the three’s attention to them.

“ZhouMi,” Kyuhyun says in slight confusion. “Why are you here?”

“Not a very polite greeting now is that, Mr. Cho? A simple ‘how are you’ would suffice,” The tallest of them tsked with a shake of his head, but a small smile was still dancing across his lips, not at all actually phased by the other. “I was requested here because the S-Class members are returning this evening from their mission, and you know, their injuries require special attention since their missions are so…..onerous.”

Before they could question furthermore however, ZhouMi had turned his attention to the other Royal member in the room, brows furrowing together in curiosity as he stared at the raven who sat there awkwardly on the inspection table.

“He has a sprained wrist,” Amber says, having had already inspected the younger as they were talking, noticing the her instructor’s attention on the raven.

“Yes, indeed,” ZhouMi agrees, however his attention was not at all on the injury.
He reaches down and grabs the youngers right hand, staring at the black-diamond ring he had on for a moment. “Strange….” was all he said before letting go. “Get him bandaged up please,” ZhouMi instructed Amber distractedly, before gesturing for Kyuhyun to follow him outside.

“That ring,” ZhouMi starts, looking troubled as he turned to face the Celestial member once they were outside. “It’s the one you gave him several years ago, am I correct?”

Kyuhyun nods, knowing that the other had detected what Heechul did as well.

“My spell is not on it anymore, that is to be expected,” the royal mutters more to himself than to Kyuhyun as he crosses his arms over his chest. “But something has definitely been casted on it again, something that is not mine, nor have I ever dabbled in such dark spellcasting.”

“That’s what Heechul and I are afraid of,” Kyuhyun sighs. “We can’t let Jongwoon know yet,”

“That is best for his safety,” The spellcaster agrees, still deep in thought.

“Can you fix it though?”

“I…..yes,” ZhouMi says, but his expression was still grim. “But not yet. It’s ancient magic and it will take me time to identify the spell and find the reversal for it.”

“We don’t have that much time though,” Kyuhyun frowns. “The more we delay, the more he’ll be in danger—”

“Hey,” a familiar voice greets, bringing the two’s attention to the raven who had just exited the building in seek of his trainer, wrist securely bandaged now along with fresh bandages on his injured hand from the duel.
“I’m sorry, am I interrupting?” he says hushedly when he noticed the serious expressions the elder two had on.

“No, you’re fine,” ZhouMi says with a quick smile, before turning to face the brunette once again. “We’ll continue this conversation another time,”

“How long will you be on Celestial grounds?” Kyuhyun questions.

“For awhile, from my understanding,”

Kyuhyun nods once in response as Yesung approaches them.
However, the two Celestial members suddenly stiffen as their attention immediately focuses skyward.

“Get back!” Yesung suddenly shouts to ZhouMi just as Kyuhyun darted in front of the taller, the raven immediately by their side with his daggers out.

In that short moment, ZhouMi didn’t comprehend what was happening, but in a blink of an eye, Kyuhyun had caught a speeding arrow that was aimed towards them, Yesung deflecting off another with his daggers. Distant screams in the background notified them that they weren’t the only ones being fired at.

“Get inside now,” Kyuhyun commands ZhouMi as he threw the arrow aside, and the elder obeys without a word.

More Celestial members began to pour out of the buildings upon hearing the distressed cries of others. “No! Stay back!” Kyuhyun calls out just as another rain of arrows from over the fortified walls fell upon them, taking down a few.

Kyuhyun runs forward to aid someone who was shot, but when he knelt down to inspect the other, the fallen member was already gone, the arrow piercing straight through his heart.

“What do we do?!” Yesung calls out as he deflected a few arrows away from them, Kyuhyun yanking the arrow out of the deceased man’s chest to examine it.

“Demons,” Kyuhyun bites out, recognizing the symbols on the black arrows. He grabs the bloodied two-way radio out of the man’s hands as he stood back up, gesturing for the raven to follow him.

“Cho Kyuhyun, Rank 1, Sector Zero come in.” He says hurriedly, bringing the receiver up to his mouth.

There was a moment of static before someone finally responded.

“Xia Junsu, Rank 1 of Sector Zero,” came the response. “What is the problem, Cho.”

“Sector 6, Code Red.” Kyuhyun replies quickly, dodging a little as Yesung dove to deflect an arrow that nearly hit the elder.

“A-Are you sure?!” the voice from the radio asks in disbelief.

“Yes, Code Red.” the brunette responds irritably. “Send back-up now.” he says just as a massive explosion resonated throughout the area. Kyuhyun immediately grabs the raven to shield him from the impact of the blast and raining debris, Yesung wrapping his arms tightly around the other at the same time to brace them both as they were sent flying backwards by the shock wave.

“,” Kyuhyun snarls, wincing in pain as he spat out some blood, pushing himself off of the younger. “Are you alright?” he asks in concern, hands reaching up to gently caress the younger’s face, trying to inspect for injury.

“Stop that,” Yesung hisses, pushing himself back up onto his feet. “Don’t get distracted. We’re under attack for god’s sake.”

“You are a Royal Dhampir,” Kyuhyun says, grimacing as he got back up as well. “You are still my first priority, princess.”

They both look up when the warning sirens suddenly go off, people screaming and running about trying to find safety through the screen of thick smoke and fire around them from the blast.

At the sound of the siren, Yesung see’s an expression that he thought he would never see on the elder’s face; fear.
He came to realize Kyuhyun wasn’t fearing for his own life, instead, he feared for the lives of others as they looked towards the direction of the explosion.

There in the center of their fortified wall, was a large breach.

Kyuhyun brings the radio back up to his lips, eyes focused on the large breach as the roars of hundreds of victorious demons filled the air.

“Cho Kyuhyun, Rank 1. We have a Code Black.” he says grimly. “Close off, Lockdown, and Quarantine Sector 6. No one goes in or out.”

 

 

 


 

A/N: Yooo! Guess who's back with another update?!

Thank you all who voted in the poll! No one outright said 'NO' so I will proceed to do what I had planned. And of course I will respect those who don't particularly read and mark where it ends and begins. Also, for those who chose 'Other', I actually was planning to make it meaningful that shows the deeper end of KyuSung's attraction, not 'pwp' because otherwise I wouldn't have included at all. I usually mark the entire story as rated M if I were to write 'pwp' in it lmao

Also, I made this chapter a little bit longer because I will be busy for the next two weeks, so I will be unable to update. (Sorry!)

Once again, thank you for subbing and reading!
Please continue to leave comments~ They encourage me more to write faster knowing there are people awaiting updates.

(Also, please follow me on twitter :D @lala_lucky0268 )