Chapter 3

Someone is Praying
 
Sorry for the late updating, but here is another short chapter! ;)
 
 
 

That night Ji Hyun sits at his desk with an open textbook in front of him as he holds a pen in his right hand just staring at the blank page of his worksheet. The sudden thought of Jae Ah comes into his mind but eventually turns into a flashback, reminding him of Seyeon who once shared a book with him as well. His heart automatically sinks at the memories of them. His mind gets distracted when he hears light drops of water hitting against the window of his bedroom. Ji Hyun gets out of his chair and head over to the window as he remove the curtain to reveal the dark night with a light shower. He opens the window and clearly comes to hear the rain become louder. Ji Hyun reaches his hand outside and the tiny drops of water lands on his palms coldly.

 

“Seyeon”

 

At the bridge, Jae Ah puts her hand down and turns her head toward the direction she hears a voice coming from and stare hard.

 

Someone is praying.

 

The following morning Ji Hyun arrives to school with Jae Ah ahead of him as he holds an umbrella to avoid the rain. He watches her almost oddly as to why she carry no umbrella. They reach the school building and Jae Ah dust the rain off her sweater as Ji Hyun shakes his umbrella before sealing it up.

 

“It’s been raining quite a lot this month, don’t you think so? Somebody must be having a hard time” Jae Ah says to him.

 

“Yes?” he says, strangely.

 

She strug at him and turns away with a smile. Ji Hyun who is left dumbfounded watches her skip inside with everyone going in as well.

 

The bell rings with everyone settle in class as the homeroom teacher begins to take attendance. While the homeroom teacher did that, about half of the students are goofing around and causing loud noises. Meanwhile, Ji Hyun is only distracted by the rain which Jae Ah comes to realize when she turns to look at him.

 

- - - - - -

 

The first lesson flew by fast and she sees that Ji Hyun has not move his sight away from the window. Jae Ah twirls her pencil with her fingers as she thinks hard and then an idea pops in mind. Ji Hyun’s attention is taken away when he feels a pull on his sleeve and he averts to Jae Ah who leans over to him, almost in a sneaky behavior.

 

“Want to skip class with me?” she whispers.

 

He scans the room and notices that everyone is in their own world and the teacher trying to get the students to quiet down. His eyes meet hers and she flashes a childish smile which he assumes that it might not be something bad.

 

 

They eventually sneak out of class without anyone seeing them and Jae Ah leads him into the music room where it is empty. While Ji Hyun comes into the middle of the room, Jae Ah shuts the door and hurries over to the grand piano. She settles down on the seat and looks over to him as she pats the space beside her.

 

“Come sit down”

 

Hearing her voice, Ji Hyun turns to her and sees a smile on her face. He looks around the place to find no other seats in the room.

 

“No thanks. I’m fine” he says.

 

“It’s okay. You can sit here with me”

 

She pats on the seat again while she stares at him. Ji Hyun gives in and goes to sit down beside her with his back view to her front. Satisfied, she lifts up the lid to reveal the keys of the piano. Ji Hyun glances at her as she gently place her slim fingers on the keys. In one rhythm, the notes turn into a soft melody that fit the mood of the rainy morning. That second, he comes to realize that it is a song from the artist Yiruma “Kiss the Rain.” He listens carefully and slowly starts to feel the melody taking his heart, drawing him into a mixture of feelings between sadness and happiness.

 

When Ji Hyun comes to realize that the soft melody has come to an end, the rain too has cease a bit. His eyes avert to Jae Ah who takes her hands off the piano keys and face him.

 

“How are you feeling? You seem much better now than you were before” she smiles.

 

In an instant, Ji Hyun finally understands why she has bring him here. He stares at her small face that keeps the childlike smile on her. Unknowingly, he begins to feel something inside of him beating fast yet it feels so warm. Finally, he lets a smile take over his emotionless expression.

 

“I’m fine now. Thank you” he says.

 

The smile on her face widen that her eyes shaped into a crescent moon. Bashfully, he looks down at his hands that clasp together on his lap.

 

“Omo? Are you blushing?” she teases while pointing at him.

 

He turns away to avoid letting her see his red face. Jae Ah continues to and nudge him a few time. Abruptly she becomes shocked when Ji Hyun suddenly turns to her and grabs her hand that hit him playfully. The room is filled with silence. Both of them has their eyes fixed on each other’s while their faces are just inches away from one another yet both dare not to move.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

A voice interrupts them and they avert to the open door with a male student standing there. He enters the room as Ji Hyun and Jae Ah stands up from the seat.

 

“We are just about to leave right now” Ji Hyun says.

 

A strange look comes across the male student's face while Ji Hyun gestures for Jae Ah to hurry along. They both step out of the room and the student turns to watch him. However, his eyes avert to the piano that stands beside him and the expression on him appears confused and hurt at the same time.

 

 

Down in the hallway, Ji Hyun appears to be in deep thoughts again with Jae Ah walking beside him. She glance up to him and eventually stops him by pulling onto his arm.

 

“What’s wrong? That person earlier, do you know him?”

 

For the passing five seconds, he did not look at her and when he did she could see the guilty look in his eyes. Stunned, Jae Ah lets go of his arm and drops her hand beside her.

 

“Sorry. Maybe I shouldn’t be asking you that”

 

The tiny spoken words from her makes Ji Hyun feel more bad however he says nothing. She lets out a smile and looks at him, giving him a light hit on the back.

 

“Why are we standing here for? Let’s head back to class” she says.

 

Ji Hyun watches her taking the leave first and he stares at her back view that slowly grew smaller.

 

 

Lunch soon comes around and the cafeteria becomes pack with students gathering in. Exiting off the line, Ji Hyun takes his tray of food to his usual table and sits down. He takes the chopsticks into his right hand and his eyes look up to find Jae Ah nowhere in sight.

 

“Yah, this rain is getting worse. I think it might storm later” a voice from the other table says.

 

Ji Hyun overhears this and glance to the huge windows in the cafeteria to see that the rain is falling harder than it did before. On the rooftop, Jae Ah stands in the center of the place with her hands out beside her as she held her face up to let the rain hit her; eyes closed.

 

Someone is praying.