Chapter 2

Someone is Praying

 

The following day, Ji Hyun goes to school as usual taking the same route to get there. However, today is different. On his way to the city bus, he spots the same girl waiting there as well. Her hair is pulled back into a ponytail and she has her glasses on again. Ji Hyun observes her from a distance and begins to find her familiar, but is not sure if he had meet her before prior to when she saved him. The girl kicks a bit while sitting there and her eyes wonder as she comes to see him. The second their eyes meet, the girl shoot a smile and waves at him. Ji Hyun couldn’t avoid her and goes up to her.

 

“Morning! It’s nice to know you take the same bus as I do” she says with a smile on her face.

 

“Oh, I didn’t know” Ji Hyun mumbles, turning away.

 

The girl blinks at him in confusion as to what he has said quietly to himself. Ji Hyun stares about the place, getting impatient with the bus coming.

 

“But...about yesterday”

 

He faces the girl who breaks the silence between them as they are the only ones waiting there.

 

“You asked if I was the person who saved you. You don’t seem curious as to why I saved you, right? I mean, you don’t have any questions to ask me, do you?” she says, her tone of voice sounding a bit hurt.

 

He stares at her small figure that almost seem to shake as she is waiting for his reply. Just as he opens his mouth to speak, the bus pulls up before them and the doors open. Ji Hyun spin away and gets on. He settle in a seat next to an older man and sees the girl getting on. He watches her take the empty seat across from him as she faces the window. Just watching her, Ji Hyun begins to question himself about the girl.

 

Ten minutes later, they both got off their stop and head for school. She is in front of him as he follows a foot behind her. Just as they are about to reach the gates, the girl immediately stops and Ji Hyun bumps into her but she did not seem to care. He backs away from her and pulls down his shirt to un-wriggle it as he then notice she is searching herself.

 

“Ooh, I think I left it on the bus” she says, while looking back down the road.

 

He wants to ask her what she had lost, but before he could do so the girl charges down the street in a flash. Amazed by her speed, her figure grows smaller and smaller as she goes away. Ji Hyun checks the time on his wrist.

 

“There’s only five minutes left. Is she going to be alright?” he talks to himself.

 

After staring for another minute, he finally turns and walks inside. He makes it to class just before the bell rings and students are rushing in. The homeroom teacher enters and Ji Hyun becomes a bit worry about the girl.

 

“Okay, settle down. I’m going to take attendance now” the teacher says aloud.

 

As the teacher calls the name down her list, Ji Hyun begins to fidget with his hands. He thinks to himself, wondering when the girl will show up. At that moment, at the door, Ji Hyun sees the girl make it to class but her shirt appears to have dirt on it. Simultaneously, another student also arrives late as well, breathless just like her.

 

“Lim Jae Ah, you’re late again”

 

The girl hurries to her seat beside Ji Hyun who watches her settle down. She flashes him a smile to reassure him everything is fine. After attendance is over, the teacher leaves the room to get something from their office. Meanwhile, the room grows loud with everyone talking or throwing papers across the place, Ji Hyun glances over to the girl who does her work quietly.

 

“Lim Jae Ah?”

 

Upon hearing his voice, the girl looks over to him in an almost a confused expression on her face as to what he called her.

 

“That’s your name, right?” Ji Hyun asks.

 

“Oh, yes…” her voice trails off.

 

He wants to ask her if she found what she lost on the bus, but with the teacher returning so fast everyone goes back to their seats. Jae Ah faces the front while Ji Hyun did the same, but he would take a few glimpses at her from time to time.

 

 

After the first two classes are over, passing time comes in and everyone mostly leaves the room to hangout with other students in other classes. Ji Hyun sees that Jae Ah is packing up her things into her bag and just as she stands up, he sits up straight from his chair.

 

“Where are you going?” he blurts out.

 

She stops and face him as Ji Hyun begins to feel himself burning as he questioned himself what is he doing. Jae Ah points out the window. He averts over to see the sun hanging up high in the sky.

 

“Outside. Would you like to join me?” she asks.

 

He hesitates, and for the longest time since he did that only to Seyeon when she asks a question like that to him. Ji Hyun could feel Jae Ah waiting for him to say something since she did not draw her attention away from him.

 

“Are you coming?” she asks in almost a whisper.

 

“Ah? Yes” Ji Hyun says, after snapping out from his deep thoughts.

 

At the side of the school building, there are tables and benches set out across the green grass. Ji Hyun set his bag on the bench and sits down, but notices that Jae Ah has gone over to the tree and sits under its shade. He oddly watches her sit against the truck as she pulls out a book from her bag.

 

“What are you reading?” he asks.

 

As Jae Ah scoots over to make space, Ji Hyun’s body naturally moves to her as he sits beside her. She hands him the book as he takes it to read the back, then flips through it.

 

“You like the rain?” Ji Hyun asks, as he notices a few photos in the book.

 

She takes the book from him and turns a few pages in, then shows it to him again. Ji Hyun sees a photo that is black and white, but the picture itself remains beautiful. It’s a photo of a girl standing in front of a huge window, staring out into the rainy day. Her face is not shown. It somehow gives off a feeling of loneliness yet touching at the same time.

 

“This is my favorite photo” Jae Ah says with a smile as she looks at it.

 

Ji Hyun’s eyes avert to her and sees that she is close to him, but he dares not to move. Her eyes leaves the book that he held, meeting up with his face. Their eyes lock for a long time however, he sees Jae Ah gaze at his left eye again (which to her is his right eye). He slowly slants back as she is coming toward him. Eventually, he clears his throat and shuts the book as he hands it back to her. Jae Ah pause and looks at the book.

 

“I think I’m gonna go” he says.

 

Jae Ah take her book while Ji Hyun gets up and leaves with his bag. She watches him, almost couldn’t hide her smile till he has gone.

 

“It’s beautiful. His eye” she says with a soft smile.