Chapter 1

Someone is Praying

 

A/N: all chapters are going to be relatively short since I'm aiming for a short story for this one.

 

The sky is becoming dark as the huge clouds are slowly approaching. People are rushing to their destination and a few of them run passes a young girl in black with a hoodie over her head as she comes to a stop. The moment she halts, a raindrop fall and eventually begins to shower. The girl holds her hand out as the tiny drops of water hits her palm. Finally, she draws her hand back and looks into the sky with her eyes close.

 

Someone is praying.

 

She brings her face down from the sky and her eyes open as she looks over to the other side of the road. A tall boy in a school uniform is standing on the edge of the bridge and in a flash, the boy falls over. Seconds later, his eyes open and he sees a girl struggling as she is holding tightly onto his arm. ---- The boy finds himself lying on the pavement with the girl sitting just inches away from where he is. His eyes are shut, letting the cold rain hit his face as he breaths heavily. Sensing the girl standing up, the boy opens his eyes to see her walking off; only watching her back view slowly become smaller as it finally vanish.

 

* * * * * *

 

The school bell rings before the teacher arrives to the classroom and tell everyone to be in their seats. Everyone did as they are told to do and pay full attention to their teacher. He runs through the list of names, marking those who are present and not.

 

“Han Ji Hyun?”

 

The silence fills the room as everyone looks around, murmuring among themselves. Meanwhile, Ji Hyun remains in his own little world, watching the rain falling from the dark sky. The teacher clears his throat which ceased the tiny chatters in the room. Ji Hyun averts his eyes toward the front of the class to meet eyes with the teacher. He gives Ji Hyun a reassuring smile and continues class. While that starts, Ji Hyun’s attention is back at the window. After long minutes of gazing, Ji Hyun spots someone in a hoodie standing out in the field of rain with their arms holding out beside them.

 

Ji Hyun’s head tilts a bit to get a better look. The moment the person turns around their hoodie slips off to expose their face. Stunned to find that it is the girl who saved him, his eyes do not leave her. Her hair is wet from the pouring rain, but she did not seem bothered by it and remains in place. Ji Hyun leans forward in his chair as he continues to watch her through the entire lecture.

 

The first class is over and everyone has gone out to mess around. Ji Hyun wonder around in the hallways with his hands in his pockets as groups of students pass him like he is not there. He comes upon an open area at the school entrance and sees the same girl from earlier. She is standing outside the doors, her clothing completely soak from the rain fall as she takes off her sweater. Ji Hyun watches her twist parts of her sweater, draining out the water and when she finishes she opens the door and steps inside.

 

“Ahh…it’s cold” she says, shivering a bit as she walks pass him.

 

Ji Hyun turns around and sees her disappear into the hallway. The bell rings causing students to rush back to their classes and settle in for the next session. Ji Hyun takes his seat and when he looks to his left, he spots the same girl sitting in the desk beside him. She is now in a pair of gym clothing with her hair left down; still a bit damp and she has glasses on as well. The girl reaches down to her bag and takes out her pencil pouch. When she sits back up, her eyes meet his and they both lock eyes for a second. She smiles at him with a bow of greeting before turning away which leaves Ji Hyun a little dumbfounded.

 

During lunch, everyone has gather at their tables with their friends while Ji Hyun eats alone in a small space in the cafeteria. He usually eats without looking up, but today is different. His eyes spot the same girl from class who also eats by herself too, though she only has a piece of bread and box of milk in her hand. Ji Hyun set his chopstick down with a half full mouth of food in him as he chew slowly. The girl eats her bread delightedly while looking out the window to see the sun peeking through the cracks of the clouds. Before he could react, a group of boys gathered at his table blocking the sight of her. Ji Hyun looks up to find that it is Ki Jun and his boys. They kick the chairs around him, causing the whole cafeteria to turn their attention toward them.

 

“Yah, you really have no shame, right? You caused Seyeon to die and yet you still have the face to come here?” Ki Jun says.

 

“I didn’t cause the death of Seyeon” Ji Hyun speaks back.

 

Ki Jun grabs him by the collar of his shirt and their faces are at each other’s. Everyone in the cafeteria is now watching them.

 

“Don’t lie. It was obliviously you. You are an unlucky person. If Seyeon didn’t hang out with a creep like you, she wouldn’t have died!”

 

Voices arose from the room as Ji Hyun begins to feel small. Just then, he is sent to the floor with a punch that swings at his face. Immediately, Ji Hyun gets a bloody mouth as he lies there and Ki Jun gets on top of him. Students surround the fight with their phones, recording and taking pictures of them. The fight is eventually stopped when teachers and security comes in and pulls everyone out. Outside of the principal’s office, Ki Jun and his boys are kneeling on the floor with their hands above their heads. As of Ji Hyun, he is sent to the nurse’s room where his wounds are being treated by Nurse Choi.

 

“Are you hurt anywhere else?” Nurse Choi asks, after she applies ointment on his bruised face.

 

“No. Thank you, nurse” Ji Hyun says, bowing his head.

 

He gets up from the bed and takes his leave as Nurse Choi watches him step out of the room. Ji Hyun closes the door behind him and he walks down the hall with gloomy eyes. When he comes upon the stairs, he stops to notice through the nearby windows that the rain has come again. Upon seeing it makes his heart feel heavy as if the heavens are crying in his place. Just then, the girl from his class is running up the stairs with her hands full of books and paper and at the moment, she trips spilling everything just as she makes it to the top. Ji Hyun looks down at her who is clumsy.

 

“My papers” she says in a sigh.

 

She starts to gather her things into a pile. Ji Hyun looks around him to see her belongings scattered everywhere; therefore he bends down and helps her pick them up. The girl stacks her papers together and turns to Ji Hyun who also at the same time faces her direction. Their faces are nearly touching each others’ but neither of them moved. His eyes stare into hers, completely captured by them. The girl’s eyes avert toward his right eye (which to him is his left eye) that is slightly covered by his bangs. Ji Hyun realizes what she is looking at and so he quickly draws back . The girl stands up after he did and he clears his throat before handing her the books.

 

“Thank you” she says, taking them.

 

Ji Hyun bows his head at her and turns to leave. Just as he is about to step down the first stair, he comes to a halt and turns around to find the girl about to leave.

 

“Wait”

 

The girl pauses and faces him as he approaches her. He stops before her, staring down at her small figure.

 

“Yes?” the girl says, with a confuse look on her.

 

“You…are you the one who saved me the other day?” Ji Hyun asks.  

 

There is a moment of silence as the girl seems to be in deep thoughts. Ji Hyun sees her face lighten before her lips form into a smile.

 

“Ah, yes. So it was you” she smiles happily.

 

He becomes daze with her beautiful smile as the illusion of Seyeon’s face soon appears before him, causing pain coming from his chest. The girl’s smile slips away when she takes notice of his puzzle expression.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

Her hand touches him on the arm which cause Ji Hyun to snap away from his illusion and to clearly see the girl’s worried face as she then draws her hand back.

 

“I’m okay. Sorry to bother you” Ji Hyun ends quickly and leaves.

 

The girl watches him hurry off and her eyes avert to the window to see the pouring rain again.

 

Someone is praying.

 

Her eyes turn back to where he has disappeared and she remains still, just staring at the empty place.