ON & OFF

Mind Over Matter

 

 

Right now, I’m in Ajou University.

It isn’t hard to guess why I am here. I just gave out the invitations to some of Kyungsoo’s fellow professors that he has told me he can invite. The invitations just arrived and I know, he could have done this instead but I am just so excited that I want to give it out already. He knew I’ll be here but what he didn’t know is that I also brought a little something to the lucky students in his period right at this moment.

I made some cupcakes for them.

Cute white and wedding-inspired cupcakes.

I know for a fact that most of his nursing students were women and so why not treat this as a mini bridal shower.

Well, if Kyungsoo won’t throw me out. I hope he won’t.

So right after I gave all of the invitations to our chosen friends, I took the boxes of cupcakes from my car before going back all the way into the campus again. It’s a bit tiring cause the university’s quite big. Reaching my destination, I look at the door plates of every door I pass by.

I wasn’t aware of the room he’s in earlier but I asked of his schedule back in the faculty room when I was there.

And I am very much thankful it’s not in those labs that might make me faint and scream. “Ah, here.” I snap a finger as I reach a wide brown door. So as I stood by the door, I put the boxes down first and knocked. There was a tiny glass square hole at its center and I peek at it.

The room is very wide, it’s like a mini convention center and there’s a low stage where I see my fiancé standing at right now, he even has a microphone. Maybe since the room was big so he had to use it.

I see a few students noticing my presence there and I wave a hand excitedly. They start pointing at me and once I meet eyes with Kyungsoo, an astonished look came out of his face. He makes this ‘go-away’ signal with his hand but I just stuck my tongue out and begin knocking. I try turning the knob but it was locked. Ooh, it isn’t my first time in this situation. Back in high school, I got locked up by my teacher too because I was late. Seems like he’s that kind of professor huh?

I point my index finger down signaling him back to open the door. I glance at the students and I could already hear their faint screams inside. “Yah!” I shout and I hear them all laugh, again in a faint way only. Finally, I see my pengu walking down the stage with a big frown on his face. He arrived at the door but just looks back at me with his displeased face. “Open this.” I mouth out clearly.

“I will count.” I add and show my hands up to start counting. I see him roll his eyes and finally, I hear the knob’s clicking sound which made me squeal a bit. I haven’t seen his students yet so I’m quite excited. Once the door was opened, I carry the boxes myself and stepped in. “Annyeonghaseyo~” I bow while looking at each of them.

I only see a very few men, maybe. . . around ten?

And they’re like thirty to forty inside.

I just made the right amount of cupcakes then, I made fifty. There’s going to be some leftovers. “I have a class, just wait for me in the faculty room.” Kyungsoo hush while blocking me. I flick my tongue like a mad ahjumma and shove him away to walk to the stage. This act of mine earned laughter from them, even to the males.

A very unlikely sight to see Professor Do being controlled, eh?

Kyungsoo trails behind me and was trying to pull me back. “Yah, we’re on our class right now, what are you doing.” He was grunting while putting the microphone away. I look at him and with my swift hand, I snatch the microphone. He tried to get it but I was pushing him off. “Annyeong~ Do you know me?” I asked.

“Aniyo!” They all answer in unison and my eyes bulge out in shock. I dart a glare at my fiancé who just gave me a look while folding his arms. “R-really? Your professor hasn’t told you anything?” I ask with my disbelieving tone. They look at each other and most of them were shaking their heads.

What the hell, Do Kyungsoo.

“Do you want to guess?” I ask and put my smile back. “That is enough. We need to presume with the class.” Kyungsoo goes close to me trying to get the microphone but I was backing away. We start circling around the stage and Kyungsoo looked very mad already.

I’m so sorry, pengu.

I’m just really bored in the house not doing anything. If I stay there longer, I might commit a crime out of boredom and slight depression.

“Girlfriend?” Some of them start guessing with grins on their faces. “Higher~” I say and Kyungsoo just heave a sigh with his worn out expression. “What higher are you talking about? Give me the mic.” Kyungsoo tells while reaching for it, I put it up which earns a scoff from him. Okay fine, he’s taller but still. “I’m in a higher place than a girlfriend~’ I speak and grin.

“Wife?” They guessed next. “Ow, it’s half-correct but lower, guys. If you get the exact answer, Professor Do’s next quiz is a bonus, don’t worry he wouldn’t have a choice when I say it.” I said and they were laughing so hard as Kyungsoo was still trying to pull me to go down the stage. “Ah!” Some students chant. “Fiancée!” They answer simultaneously and I clap my hands.

“Yey! The qui—“That’s it. Alright, everyone we shall resume with the discussion. Please don’t mind her and her words. There is no bonus quiz or whatsoever.” Kyungsoo successfully gets the microphone from me and fixed his suit. Trying to stay cool again? “Oh really?” I ask making him look at me again.

He puts the mic away from his mouth.

“Don’t do this.” He mutters. I look at the students again. “Guys! Do you want cupcakes? I brought some.” I said and they start cheering excitedly. I glance back at my fiancé who was already massaging his temples. Well it seems like I’ve ruined his serious and formal image, huh? The students were celebrating and chit-chatting like they were doing it for the first time. “If I didn’t bake this cupcakes, I might have gone crazy in my house and you see me bloody dead there. Do you want that?” I ask before carrying the boxes and go down the stage. I start opening them in one corner and most of the male students helped me.

“This is all enough for everyone, okay?” I speak while patting the boys’ head as they each contribute their help to give out the cupcakes. From there, I glance at the stage, to my fiancé. He looked calm now as he looks at me.

I casually walk around the isle watching them enjoy the cupcakes in delight. “Unni, what’s your name?” Some girls ask while eating. “Han Iseul.” I answer with a sweet smile. “Unni, you’re very cute. How long have you been together with Professor Do?” Another one asks. “Uh, almost two years now. The wedding’s next month. I would want to invite all of you but I think you won’t fit the church.” I murmur and giggle. They all chuckle back while nodding.

I glance at Kyungsoo again and he was now sitting on his chair by the desk there on the corner of the stage. “Noona.” One male student calls me again making me turn. “Isn’t it hard to be with Prof? Is he strict to you too? He’s very strict to us.” He asks. “I know right? Have you experienced a date night as if you’re watching Discovery Channel?" I answer making them all laugh while even clapping their hands.

“But you guys, if you’d know your professor truly, you’ll see how kind-hearted he is. It’s just not obvious enough, of course he would need to show a tough image to you so you could learn. But he has some gentle sides too.” I explain afterwards and they all nodded. I glance at Kyungsoo once again and gave him a smile.

His lips were threatening to curve up as he looks back at me.

I just gave a simple but girly wave and he responds with his usual eyebrow-twitch which always melts me. He also leaned more on the chair and cross his arms on his chest as he does it.

 

_ _ _

So lucky enough, I had a chance to actually stay at the backmost part of the room and watch him continue with the class. And I’m not even kidding when I say that he speaks just like how he speaks to me when he’s giving facts. And what’s worse, he’s not the nice type of professor to give power-points and copies of the lesson. He just dictates it without going slow nor repeating the words.

I saw how his students write so fast in a panicky way and they were all looking down their desks instead of Kyungsoo. It’s like they were in a war while writing, as if it’s the end of the world if they miss even a single word.

Worse part, Kyungsoo says a lot of difficult terms that I swear I would have never given my strength to think of how to spell it.

Gosh, do they even pass their subject on this guy?

Right after their class, fortunately, Kyungsoo’s last period. I bid goodbye to his students in a very friendly manner before walking out with my pengu. As soon as we’re out, it’s my turn to be lectured.

“You should have told me you were coming.”

“Why did you give out all of the invitations already?”

“You spoil those kids once, you spoil them forever. They would start looking for you from now on, do you know how much trouble is that?”

“Don’t do this again.”

“I am mad at you.”

And so on and so forth. I mean, when will he get tired of lecturing people? He just got off a two-our class period. He should be tired but he wasn’t. Up until we arrive at my house, he was nagging me about spoiling young adults like his students. But in the end of the lecturing, he said,

“Thank you for the effort, my Oxytocin level elevated because that was a sweet gesture and in a much less human way to say this so you could understand, I am quite by your actions and when I say , I mean ually. Let me stay in your house tonight.”

What a weird man I have.

And I can’t believe he can in that way.

I’ll be in this way for my whole life.

Unlike the switch buttons, there isn’t an ‘OFF’ choice. All you have is the ‘ON’ when Do Kyungsoo is your man.