CHAPTER 5 - DEAL

Autumn Souls

Chapter 5 

Ren let himself plunge on his bed.

Too much happened this day. First with Mia, and now their band practice. They finished late because Saki wanted everyone to have a perfect rhythm. She’s really into it that they almost forgot to take a break. Good thing Yuu suggested to have a short break before they ended their practice.

He was about to close his eyes when he heard that someone threw something on his window.

‘WTH! Seriously? Who the hell is it? Geez. It’s already 11:30 pm and I’m already tired! Can’t it be wait till tomorrow?’ Ren annoyingly opened his window. He saw Mia waving at him.

‘What the heck is she doing here?!’

“Ren!” She called.

“Shhh! Don’t shout! What are you doing here?” He asked.

“Can you put up me in your house for a while?”

“What?! And why would I?”

“Please ! Th-There’s someone who ran after me. I just managed to escape.” She looked around here. He saw the fear on her eyes. “I’m scared Ren!”

‘Ghost doesn’t have any feelings.’ He thought. If she’s a real ghost, she couldn’t feel any human emotions. Maybe he just overthink of what happened this afternoon.

“Wait for me.” He immediately went downstairs and opened their door. He welcomed and guided her to the kitchen. Her body was shaking and tensed. Her face was covered with sweat, indicating that she ran from danger. He offered a glass of water to make her calm.

“Here, drink first.”

“Thank you.” She said and take it, but she just placed it on the table.

“You don’t want? How about coffee? Juice?”  He offered a variety of drinks that he can prepare for this time.

“It’s okay. I just want to thank you for helping me.”

 

“Don’t mention it.”

Silence reigned between them.

“Mia? Can I ask your full name?” He broke the silence. It is now his chance to ask for her real identity.

She looked at me with a serious face. “My name is not important.”

“But--”

“Are you sure you really want to know the real me?”

Big thumps on his heart were suddenly felt by him. He’s excited at the same time nervous.

“I-If you don’t want to tell me its okay. Maybe I’m prying too much.”

She smiled at him bitterly. She suddenly went upstairs and entered his room. He immediately followed her.

“Hey! What are you doing? Why did you enter my room.”

She saw Haru’s photo on his study table.

“Ren, I’m sorry for what I said this afternoon.”

“H-Huh? Ahmm, don’t mind it.”

She suddenly faced him for a second, eyes filled with seriousness. Her eyes shifted from him to his back.

“If I said Haru was standing behind your back, would you believe me?”

His eyes widened and suddenly jumped on his bed, covering himself with a blanket.

“WAAAAAAAAH!”

He felt that the blanket on his head suddenly rose up and he saw the face of the girl he really wanted to see all this time.

H-Haru?

‘Wh-What?! I can see her? This is a dream right? It can’t be right?’

“Ren.”

It’s Haru’s voice.  ‘Is this really true?’ He slowly sit up to face her. Pinching his cheeks, he checked if the apparition he saw was just a dream. But to his dismay, everything that was happening on his sight were all true.

“Ren… It’s me… Haru.”

“H-H-Haru?” Even if he’s too scared, sadness filled his voice.

She nodded and gave me him smile.

Tears suddenly formed at the corner of his eyes. It’s been 2 years. He really missed her.

“Haru… Sorry.” Crystallized water started to drift on his eyes. All the memories of the accident came back to his mind. The pain of losing her stabbed him deeply. Regret of not not confessing to her rushed through him. If only he knew that Haru will be liked this, he wished he could say all of his feelings for her. He felt his chest tightens as he began to cry.

He felt light arms wrapped around his body. He’s sure it was Haru.

“Ren, don’t blame yourself. Its not your fault.” she softly said as she slightly patted his back.

“But I’m the reason why you--”

“Shh.” She  stopped him from what he’s going to say. She cupped his face and look straight to his eyes. “It’s not your fault. I am not blaming you. That’s why please smile and move on with your life Ren. Don’t let sadness enveloped your life. Live for me Ren. I can’t be at peace when you’re like that.”

“Haru.” He looked at her. She’s still the same Haru he knew. “I’m really sorry. I … I didn’t have the chance to tell you what I really feel for you. I love you Haru. Sorry if I didn’t protect you, sorry if I couldn’t make you smile… sorry if I am the one who lived instead of you. It should be me who must died!” He said hysterically. Tears continued to flow from his eyes.

“Ren! Calm down..”

“Sorry… Sorry… Sorry. I’m really sorry!” His voice cracked upon apologizing many times.

“Ren listen.” She cupped his face again and let him meet her eyes. “Ren, you always made me happy. Everyday. Whenever we’re together with Saki and Yuu, with the whole SUMMIT. The times when we’re doing gigs every night, the times when we’re all suspended on school activities because of performing without the school’s permission, the times when we’re all doing stupid things, all of those memories were filled with happiness and contentment. I’m already contented that you guys are alive until today. Ren, please don’t say that you should be on my position. I feel hurt whenever I see you blaming yourself.”

“Haru…”

“There’s a reason why I leave you guys early. Like you, I also have some regrets, but I don’t blame God , nor you, for putting me on this situation. Maybe the reason why I can’t be at peace because there is someone who keeps pulling me back on his life.”

“Is it me?”

“Yes. I want you to move on Ren. I don’t want to see you cry anymore because of me. I don’t have any grudge on you.”

“Haru.” Ren couldn’t react on her revelations. He’s being unfair to her. She couldn’t be at peace because of the regrets he felt for her. “I’m sorry.”

“That will be the last time I am going to hear those two words from you.” She chuckled.

He smiled. She never changed. “Yes.”

“One more thing, I wanted to answer your confession. Sorry Ren, but--”

“I know. Its Yuu right?”

She smiled bitterly. “Hai.”

“It’s okay. I already knew it from the start.”

“I know this is kinda selfish, but I wrote a letter. Can you pass it to him?” She asked and handed him the letter

He felt his chest tightened. He’s fully aware of her real feelings, but it still hurts when those words came from herself. He just smiled bitterly.

“I will.” He accepted it.

“Ren, I have to go. Please help of Mia. If I haven’t met her, we couldn’t talk like this. Please be nice to her if by chance you will know her true character.”

He nodded. She gave me a wide smile before she slowly vanished in front of him.

“Thank you Ren… be happy.” Those were the last words he heard from her.

He cried again. He knew that he will never see her again. The heavy feeling of Haru’s accident were gone, as if there was a large thorn picked from his chest. Finally, he could send Haru’s soul at peace.

“Are you finished weeping on your touching reunion?”

He was surprised when Mia suddenly talked. He almost forgot that she’s also there on his room. ‘Wait, why is she being acquainted with Haru? I don’t remember she has a friend named Mia.’

“Why are you still here?” He asked while drying his tears.

“I just want to be a witness of your reunion.”

“How did you two met? And who the hell are you?”

She looked at him with serious eyes. “Are you really ready to know who I am?”

He nodded.

She stood up and pointed on my cellphone. “Take a photo of me.”

“H-Ha?”

“Just do it.”

Confused, he get his phone and obeyed her. He focus his phone on her. To his surprise, her image was blurred on the camera. He shifted his gaze, she’s very clear on his sight. He looked at her again and to his phone for 3 times. ‘Why is she blurred? Does my phone has a problems? But, this is the latest model and the quality of it, is high-end.’ He thought.

“What happened? I can see you clearly but my camera couldn’t recognize you. As if you are a gho---” He didn’t finished his own sentence for realization about Mia’s character hit him. “No, you’re kidding right?”

“Ren, what you’re thinking about me at this time, is true. I am not an ordinary student of ECA, nor… not an ordinary human.”

“N-N-No… it’s not true right?” He asked as his heartbeat was starting to race. “This can’t be happening! Am I the only one who can see you?”

“I am no longer on this world. Its already been 2 years since I … well… uhmmm.. died.”

“2-2 years?”

He felt every hair on his body stood up to its end. ‘All this time? I was talking to a ghost?!’

“You’re lying.”

“I hope I am.”

A few minutes of silence reigned between them. He still felt uneasy because of the things happened today.

“Why am I the only one who can see you? Why I can hold your hand? Why … when you kissed me …” he blushed upon remembering the scene that afternoon. “... I feel it. I mean, yeah… the kiss. I-- I feel it.”

“Because I need your help.”

“Help?”

“I want you to help me Ren. Please.” She pleaded.

He saw the sadness on her eyes and the determination of making him to help her. But how could he help her?

“Why me? There are lot of people who had special abilities that can help you as much as I can.”

She sighed. “I also didn’t know why is it you that can only help me. But I could feel that we have a connection.”

He suddenly remembered  his bracelet. ‘Right! We met because of this. Because I accidentally lost, that’s why we met.’

“Because of Haru’s bracelet?”

“Maybe?”

He let out a deep sigh.

“I am still dazed because of what happened this day. One thing I am sure is that…. You’re a ghost.”

She smiled. ‘That smile again. Argh!’

“So will you help me?”

“And what is it that I can help? I am not a paranormal expert.”

“Its simple. I want to see my fiancé for me to be at peace.”

“H-HA?! Are you out of your mind?! Japan is too big! I have no idea where to find him.”

“That’s why I am asking for help right? I have his details. But I can’t talk to him because he can’t see me. One more thing…” she stopped and lowered her head. He heard her sniffed.

‘Is she crying’

“I don’t know where is he now. They left their house when I visited him 1 year ago.”

He could hear her sobs. ‘Arghh! What should I do? But, because of her , I already talked and cleared things with Haru. Besides, Haru requested me to help and take care of Mia.’

He sighed.

“Fine. I’ll help you. But promise me, just don’t startled me, okay?”

Her face lit up and wipe her tears with her palm.

She laughed upon hearing his statement. “You’re such a coward! I still remember your face when I played a prank on you.”

He blushed. “Ahhh. I change my mind!” He acted like he’s mad of what she said.

“Waah! Sorry it’s just a joke! Well, whatever you do or wherever you go, I am forever stick with you.”

“Ha?! What do you mean?”

“Remember what I did this afternoon?”

“You… uhmm well… kissed me?”

“It’s our contract! Together with Haru’s bracelet.” She smiled.

“What? ! Wait, I didn’t get what you mean.”

“As long as you have that bracelet, you can see and talked to me. Until my wish is granted, I will forever tag along and stick with you.” She said and suddenly shortened the distance between our faces. He felt that one wrong move from the both of them will result to another kiss. “That kiss signifies our seal on our deal.”

“WHAT?! Wait … but you forced me!”

“Wow Ren, as if I you on your tone.” She laughed and distance herself.

“I was really shocked! I felt deized.” He pouted.

She laughed really hard. ‘I don’t know what is wrong with her, but I felt that there is something about her that I feel I need to protect.’ He thought.

She breath and let out a deep sigh. “Thank you Ren. I promise I will be gone once I saw Ryuu.”

“I don’t have any choice right? I’ll help you as much as I can. It will be my thank you gift for letting me and Haru talked.” He smiled. Maybe even ghosts have their own way of talking to humans.

“Thanks Ren!” She said. She was about to give him a hug but he stopped her.

“Hep! You’re already taking advantage of me. Hugging me is not part of the contract. And please, don’t touch me. I felt goosebumps.”

“Why?” She asked innocently.

“Well…. You’re still a ghost and … yeah… I am still scare with you.”

She laughed. “Fine fine.”

“Good.” He said and went to the bathroom. He ed his uniform with his eyes closed. When he opened his eyes and looked at the mirror, he was surprised to see her standing behind him.

“Why are you following me?! I need to take a shower!” He immediately covered his upper body.

“Hmmm.. not bad huh. You have a nice body Ren.” she teased.

“What are you doing here?! Get out!”

She smiled in a naughty manner. “You already forget what I said earlier? As long as you have that bracelet ON YOUR BODY, I will be following you.”

“WHAT?!” He immediately went outside of the bathroom. “You wait there and don’t ever went inside the bathroom!” He said and remove the bracelet. He tossed it on his bed.

He didn’t see nor hear her.

This day was insane. A lot of things happened … like a dream. BUt there is one thing he is being thankful for. Finally, he already talked to Haru and they already cleared things up. Maybe fate really pulled their strings together. If it wasn’t because of that bracelet, maybe he forever blame himself for what happened to Haru...

And it is all thanks to Mia.

 

---

A/N :

Sorry for the late update minna ~! ^^

 

How was it ? ^^ You already now Mia's character. What will happen to Ren and Mia's journey ? ^^

Till the next chapter