Force of Habit

Force of Habit

Minseok yawned and blinked his eyes open slowly. Reaching out for his phone next to him, he turned it on and squinted at the screen. Six o'clock. Time to wake up and start another day. EXO's last album promotions had just ended, and they had a little bit of time before they had to start working on the next one. All of them were still busy though, regularly appearing on variety shows and other television programs. A day like this, where Minseok didn't have anything to do, was extremely rare, and he wanted to enjoy it to the fullest. Sitting up and ruffling his hair, he stretched his arms over his head and threw his legs over the side of his bed. He yawned again, and looked around the room, frowning slightly at the empty bed across from him.

Ah, that's right. Yixing was still in China. He hadn't been around much lately.

Minseok stood and padded softly out of the room, being careful on his way to the kitchen not to make too much noise and wake the other members up. He was always the first one awake, being unable to turn off his internal alarm clock. Yawning once more, he opened a cupboard and took out a small box filled with instant coffee. Theoretically, he could use the actual ground coffee, but he had no urge to put in effort today. The instant brand would have to do.

Plugging in the coffee maker, Minseok added three spoons of the coffee powder and four cups of water to it. Then, he turned it on and sat down at the kitchen table, pulling out his phone and scrolling through his social network feeds. After a couple minutes, he heard footsteps, and then felt two people plop down in the seats next to him.

"You're just in time guys." Minseok smiled at Jongdae and Kyungsoo.

"Good morning, hyung," Kyungsoo mumbled. "I think Jongdae's a balloon."

Sure enough, when Minseok looked at Jongdae, he had to hold back a laugh at how puffed up the younger's face was. "Jongdae, I told you not to have the ramen right before you slept."

"I was hungry." Jongdae pouted, his voice scratchy from sleep.

The coffeemaker let out a pleasant ding, and Minseok stood to get three mugs out of another cupboard, setting one down in front of his, Jongdae's, and Kyungsoo's seats. He also took out the milk from the fridge, three spoons, and the sugar from next to the coffee maker, placing them in the middle of the table. Then, he removed the coffee pot from the coffee maker, and poured a good amount into each of their mugs. He placed the coffee pot back on the counter.

Minseok and Kyungsoo added milk and sugar to their coffee, while Jongdae opted to have it black that morning. When the coffee was cool enough, Jongdae raised his mug to his lips, took a sip, and grimaced.

"Hyung."

"Yeah?"

"The coffee tastes weird today."

"I used the instant powder." Minseok kept stirring his coffee with his spoon.

"No, hyung, it tastes different."

Raising his eyebrows, Minseok took a sip of his own coffee, and set it down immediately. "You're right. How strange. I'll make a new batch. Sorry guys."

"It's fine, hyung," Kyungsoo said, smiling.

The coffee seemed to be watered down, Minseok thought. The flavor wasn't as strong.

He stood and turned around, then froze as he saw the leftover coffee in the coffee pot.


"Teach me how to make coffee so well," Luhan demanded, swinging his legs as he sat on the counter next to Minseok as the elder added four spoons of instant coffee powder. "I want to be able to make it for myself, too."

Laughing softly, Minseok grabbed Luhan's arm and pulled him off of the counter, then handed him a measuring cup. "Pour in four cups. One for you, one for me, one for Jongdae, one for Kyungsoo."

"The early riser gang," Kyungsoo muttered from behind them. "Because no one else bothers to get up."

"It's okay. It means we get Minseok hyung's coffee all to ourselves every day." Jongdae grinned and nudged Kyungsoo, who gave him an exasperated look, as if wondering why he was so happy in the morning.

Luhan closed the lid of the coffee maker and turned it on, sharing a smile with Minseok.

"You probably messed it up," Minseok teased.

"No, from now on you'll want me to make the coffee every morning," Luhan retorted.

The two of them sat down with Jongdae and Kyungsoo, and the four of them chatted happily until the coffee was done. Minseok poured four even servings into four mugs, and the four of them enjoyed the peaceful morning together.

"Let us make a toast to the early riser gang, the ones who can actually wake up without getting water splashed on them." Luhan smirked and raised his mug, causing the other three to laugh and raise their mugs as well.

"To the early riser gang, the four of us having hyung's coffee every morning."

"Shut up, Jongdae, coffee's not the only thing I'm good for."

Laughter.


Minseok had put in four cups of water instead of three.

Force of habit.


That moment when you really really hate your OT12 feels.

(Especially the Luhan-was-and-still-is-my-ultimate-bias-and-I-cried-for-hours-when-he-left feels)

Lol.

I hate myself.

I still at updating, but for all the BTS fans that are reading this (because this is totally a BTS story), I have a couple other stories, one called Smile and one called Hope, both about BTS. Please check them out. :3

*shameless advertising never gets old*

So long~

<3 ^~^