Midnight Love Story

Midnight Love Story

 

Midnight Love Story

Title: Midnight Love

Genre: Romance, One Shot

Summary: It was cold, it was snowing, it was Christmas Eve and it was our anniversary.

 

Dara’s POV

It was exactly 10:15 pm that time. 15 minutes ago, my boyfriend broke up with me. It was cold, it was snowing, it was Christmas Eve and it was our anniversary. It really hurts. I trusted him, I had faith in him, I tried my best to work things out with him, I loved him yet what did he do? He didn’t even say goodbye to me in a proper way. I mean, how is breaking up via text message proper? He didn’t even add a simple explanation, just “let’s break up”. At least try to even call me then break up with me. What? Am I some toy you could just throw away after you’re done playing with it? I don’t think so. I sighed. As much as I want to threaten him or even tell him he made a big mistake by breaking up with me, I just can’t. Well, I can, I really can but there was just something in my mind that told me not to.

I walked around the streets until I reached my favorite place. Since it was night already, the lights around the place were all on. The river’s flow was calm and in peace and the people around the place were only the source of noise. I sat on a bench beside the biggest tree that was present in the place, put my earphones on and my iPod. I listened to all the ballad songs I had since I wasn’t in the mood to listen to any upbeat songs or even just a single strum of an annoying electric guitar. The moment was relaxing, even though the song I was listening to was heartbreaking, it was still beautiful. My eyelids slowly closed as my favorite song came up.

After relaxing for sometime, I was able to wake up from my nap and realize that there were now only a few people in sight and that it was almost midnight. I decided to go home immediately until I realized that someone was holding my arms. I quickly turned to carefully look at that certain someone. When I was able to look at his full face, I started to wake him up but he still didn’t budge. I didn’t know who he was yet he was holding my arm and was sleeping beside me plus his face wasn’t even familiar to me. How creepy. I carefully moved my arm upwards to escape his hold. “Dara” he said in a soft voice. I was surprised and at the same time confused. How did he know my name? I carefully looked at him once again, trying my best to at least recognize his face. Unfortunately, that still didn’t help me to know the stranger.

I was about to take my leave when my phone suddenly rang. My phone’s loud ringing caused the guy to finally wake up from his deep sleep. “Oh” he said while opening and rubbing his eyes. I quickly cancelled the call and looked at the guy with shock. When he was fully awake, he stared at me for sometime then gave me a small smile.

“Annyeong” he said in a cheerful tone. I was slightly taken aback by his actions and unconsciously replied to him by also saying hello. He looked at me head to toe then again stared at my face. I was a little speechless and wasn’t able to move. My position was awkward even though I was standing normally. My senses told me that I should at least sway my hand or even move my feet but my body didn’t cooperate and still didn’t do anything.

The guy was staring right into my soul, I can feel it. He looked at my eyes like there was no tomorrow, his face was calm but his eyes were intense, his body was comfortable yet his aura was the opposite, he looked graceful but there was something about him that felt like he was furious about something. Who is he? I kept wondering. What’s his name? I kept asking. He stared at me for just a few minutes but it felt like it was an hour. It took time for me to realize that his eyes were mesmerizing, his face was just beautiful and that he was comfortable to be with even with all the awkwardness I felt while standing there. The long term silence finally broke when he decided to speak up.

“You, do you know who I am?” he asked. I was hesitant to answer at first but I still responded.

“No clue” I answered. A small smirk appeared on his face as he huffed softly. “Do you want to know me though?” he again asked.

“No” I bluntly said. I can say he was a bit shock at my answer since his eyes widened a little and his face was just blank.

After a few seconds, his blank face turned into a pouting expression, I didn’t care though. It was already midnight; we were the only people present in the place and anyways, he was a freaking stranger. Why did I even talk to him in the first place? Realizing this, I fixed my things and got ready to go. I turned around and walked away from him impatiently.

“You really don’t have any interest to know me? Even one bit?” he asked. I was slightly surprised causing my body to flinch a little bit. I turned my head to see him following me with a cute expression. Yes, he was cute but he still irritated me.

“Didn’t I tell you the answer already? I said NO” I said emphasizing the last word. I saw him stop and stared at the ground. Is he mad? I asked to myself as I sighed. There it goes again; the awkward silence ironically happening with some random, attractive but creepy stranger. I stared at him for a few seconds sending him a signal to look at me but he was still staring at the ground. Although I kind of felt guilty because of what happened, I still wanted to leave him since being with someone you don’t know in a place where both of you are the only one present is just plain scary. I turned around hesitantly and took small steps forward.

“My girlfriend…” the guy suddenly said. I stopped from walking and quickly turned to face him giving him a look to continue his sentence.

“She just… broke up with me about 2 hours ago” he continued. I will honestly admit that throughout the time I first saw him, he irritated me and made me want to shout at him for being such a creepy stranger or more like a stalker. But this time, right at the moment when he finished his sentence, I felt like my heart finally had its last beat for being such a brat. I suddenly remembered what my boyfriend did to me also about 2 hours ago.

“I’m sorry” I apologized as I slightly bowed my head and stared at the ground.

I heard him huff before starting to walk towards me. After some small steps, he was now inches apart from me.

“You don’t need to worry, it’s not your fault anyway” he said. I can feel that he was looking at me and waiting for me to turn my head so he can directly look at me but I still stared at the ground and moved my head lower. He sighed.

“Dara-ah, aren’t you going to ask me what my name is or even ask me how do I know you?” he asked as he took 2 small steps backwards.

As he moved away, I started to move my head upward and looked at him. I could clearly see he was making that pouting expression he did just several minutes ago once again to which my lips unknowingly formed a small smile because of his cute actions.

“Yah, don’t make me ask, just tell already” I said impatiently waiting for his answer. He, again, had that smirk on his face after I finished saying my sentence. What’s with all his mood swings? Weird, I thought.

“Ask me” He dared in a whining tone. There you go again, last time he was pouting about something then after that, he had a smirk on his face then now he dares me by using a whining tone. What’s up with this guy’s mood?

“Alright, why do you know me?” I asked.

“You’re my neighbor” He simply replied while touching his scarf and smirking.

“Really?” I asked. He nodded, still holding his scarf and still having that smirk on his face.

I suddenly remembered the time when my mom and my little brother didn’t close their mouths for even a second because they were talking about our new neighbor that just moved in just several weeks ago. I also remembered the time where they invited the new neighborhood’s family for a welcoming dinner. There were 3 additional people in our house, 2 guys and 1 woman who I’m guessing is their mom. At that time, I just got home and they were already eating dinner so I greeted them. I went up the stairs immediately to change my clothes and told my brother to get me some food since I was too lazy to go downstairs and communicate with those unknown visitors. Now though, I kind of regretted what I did. If I didn’t do that, then I would know the name of the guy standing in front of me this actual moment. I was still in my thoughts until the certain guy standing in front of me decided to speak.

“Aren’t you going to ask me the next question?” he asked.

“You’re not that patient are you?” I joked while slightly shaking my head.

He nodded.”Yeah, like you” He said. It took time for me to register the sentence he just said until I realized what he meant.

“Yah! Shut up!” I slightly shouted which caused him to chuckle a bit.

“You, what’s your name?” I finally asked.

He looked at me, a smile drawn to his face as he took a few steps forward and touched my cheeks. His palms and some parts of his fingers were covered with gloves leaving his fingertips uncovered and cold. My face stiffened as my body shivered when he touched my face with his cold fingertips. He leaned closer and rested his forehead to mine. His eyes were closed as he sighed deeply. I felt the urge to at least touch his beautiful face which was already connected to mine but my body was still numb and stiff and still wasn’t able to move.

“W-what’s your name?” I again asked, my voice stuttering. He huffed and smirked at my question probably because I asked it twice already or probably because I stuttered.

He opened his eyes and carefully looked at my face. I saw him stop his stare at my lips then slowly turned to look at my eyes. He gave me a smile as he moved closer. He slowly leaned forward and kissed me on the lips. The kiss was warm even though it was freezing outside, my numb body slowly started to feel comfortable as he kissed me and I kissed him back. I suddenly felt my body having goose bumps as his face slowly parted away from me.

“Lee Donghae” he started. He again moved closer and kissed my forehead. “That’s my name” he finished as he gave me a warm smile.

End

Pls. take time to follow :D --> maengoo.tumblr.com