Chapter 6: A Smile is the Best Form of Introduction

A cat who was once a dragon

A/N: Hi guys, EXO's comeback is coming soon! I can't wait for their teasers. Remember during Call Me Baby era? I was super excited by their teasers. ChanBaek's teaser was super cool that I repeat watch so many times! <3 

Another character reveal in this chapter by the way~

aaaaaaand thanks for the upvote, comment and subscribe. I appreciate every click/type of it. ^^ ENJOY READING!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

             

 

               “What do I do now?” Chanyeol asked. It is almost at dusk and the duo currently walking beside the river because Chanyeol said that the only easy way out is by following the river. Baekhyun walks on the big rocks to spice his journey up a bit because he had enough of the long walk. Chanyeol readied his hand in case the smaller trips and fall.

                Baekhyun had thought hard along the journey, and he decided to that it’s best to ask the expert. “Let’s go and meet my teacher,” Baekhyun suggested.

                “Teacher?”

                “Yeah, Master Jinki. He’s a talented and powerful Light Master Wizard. He used to be one of the Court Wizards, you know? But few things happened and then he told me that he don’t want to stay in the castle anymore. So the next day, he left.”

                “Where is he now?”

                “I’m not sure myself, but the last letter that he sent me, he said that he’s at fishing village. It’ll be a long journey. We have to stop by at my house first and pack some few stuffs up… and my staff,” Baekhyun continued talking about things he have to pack for their long journey.

                Chanyeol stopped his tracks and looked to the ground. “Baekhyun,” Chanyeol called, to get the wizard’s attention from his ramblings and it did. The wizard looked back at Chanyeol. “You don’t have to do this, you know? I don’t want to impose you. I truly am thankful that you helped me-“

                “Hush Chanyeol. Let me make things clear,” Baekhyun went down from the rocks and put both his hands on Chanyeol’s shoulder and push him down so he’s head on Baekhyun’s head level. “This may look like the fate is forcing me with you but, it is also fate that brings me to you. And it freed you. I don’t know if it’s me the cause of it but, I won’t leave you hanging in this era. Do you know that helping other is one of the light wizard’s oath?” Baekhyun raise his right hand and put at his heart. “I will help and light up the path of those who is in need and lost in darkness. Well, you look like a lost lamb, so,” Baekhyun flicked Chanyeol’s nose, “don’t sweat it.”

                Seeing Baekhyun’s determined face, Chanyeol smiled warmly. He took Baekhyun’s hand on his shoulder and give an appreciative squeeze. After he went out the cave, he only thought about stretching his wings without any care. When Baekhyun reminded him about the Eradication, which he still do not understand fully, he did felt a little bit lost. Dragons are good judge of character and he knows, Baekhyun is not the type to lie. “Thank you. You’re really kind.” The pair resumed walking.

                “Hah! It’s been a long time people called me kind. Usually, it’s reckless or stupid” Baekhyun laughed, then trying to get back on the stone, but failed miserably. The stones’ surface are uneven.

                Chanyeol hold Baekhyun’s hand and helped him on the stones. Baekhyun smiled and gave him a small thanks. Chanyeol continues the conversation, “And why is that?”

                “I don’t know. Maybe I am reckless and stupid.” Baekhyun scratched his neck out of embarrassment.

 

 

                The pair continued their small talk until they have to cross the river. According to Chanyeol, the big river rocks are the only way to cross the river without getting wet. And Baekhyun is not a fan of getting wet. He despise being wet because by getting wet, his clothes gets heavier, especially his oversized cloak, and what do Baekhyun hates more than being wet? Bring heavy load on journey.

                Speaking about bringing heavy load on journey, Baekhyun screamed upon remembered about one of his prized possession, “Chanyeol, where’s my pot?!” They are currently crossing the river and Chanyeol worried of Baekhyun falling into the river thus holding tight his arm.

                “What pot? And don’t move so much, we’re gonna fall. And what’s with wizard and their pot?”

                Chanyeol obviously don’t give a about his beloved pot. Baekhyun gave up. He needs a new one anyway. It rusting and Baekhyun do a little bit sad because, his teacher gave that pot to him as a gift after he moves in his new home.

                As they arrived at the other side of the river, Chanyeol realizes Baekhyun’s silence. “Is it that important to you? If you want, I can get it for you, you know? I don’t think there’s anybody out here. I can just morph for a while-“

                “No! I told you, you can’t change anymore on daylight. It’s too dangerous!” As much as Baekhyun treasures his pot, he can’t risk Chanyeol’s safety. For now, the safety of the only dragon in this world is his upmost priority.

                “Geez, you don’t have to get angry over it. It’s just a suggestion. Now stop being angry with me and take my hand, we have a long journey ahead of us,” Chanyeol pouted. He only wanted to be useful for once. Baekhyun took the taller’s hand and went down from the rough surface of the stones. The duo didn’t realize four pair of eyes watching with their eyebrows high, weapons still equipped on their hands.

                “Ohhh WOW. And here I thought you were almost killed by those bandits, but no. You got yourself a boy!” Jongdae exclaimed exasperatedly. Upon seeing new people, especially with weapons at hand, Chanyeol’s eyes bug out. He then quickly ran behind one of the big rocks, hiding.

                By the small talks on their journey, Baekhyun learned that Chanyeol seldom meeting new people, because the dragon always either resting at their lair around the castle ground or he’s in training at the forest. That’s why seeing one overwhelms the dragon. And for some weird reason, his sister’s advices and stories about human’s bad nature doesn’t help Chanyeol’s little fear on human. Baekhyun did reassure him that not all humans are bad but it still overwhelms the taller. It crushed Baekhyun’s imagination a little because, he always thought that dragons are strong with no fear.

                “Guys! You came!” Baekhyun waved his hand out of happiness that his friends came for him.

                Kyungsoo glowered towards Baekhyun and went off his horse. He ran towards Baekhyun’s direction. “You idiotic fool!” Kyungsoo hugs Baekhyun tightly out of relieved “Do you know how worried I was?!” Kyungsoo sobbed a little. He was really worried for Baekhyun’s safety. Baekhyun is like a brother, a real family. If he lost Baekhyun, he lost his only family.

                Baekhyun hugs back, only realizes that he was in a dangerous situation. He just forgot about it because his new situation with Chanyeol. Speaking of Chanyeol, Baekhun looked back at the stone that the dragon currently hid, only to find both the knight and prince Kim himself, still on their horse getting near towards where Chanyeol is. And still armed.

                Jongin is not on guard or anything, he was just curious about a grown man, hiding himself at the sight of a stranger. “Hey, are you okay?”

                Chanyeol was frantic. He knows that smell so well. It’s a smell that has ingrained at his nose since Chanyeol’s birth. It’s a smell of a Kim. He’s not ready for this. He just got out from the cave. And now he has to die? Yes, he’s a dragon. He is strong but, Chanyeol naturally can’t fight a Kim. He’s already pledge his loyalty to the royal Kims. He lives to serve the family. Only if the Kims releases him, he can actually fight them back. And the thought of the Kim had already killed his family out of reason that he has yet to discover frightens him even more. “Go away!” Chanyeol said out of fear. He does not actually realize what he was saying but his only thought is for him or the Kim to get away from each other.

                Seeing Chanyeol’s state alarmed Baekhyun. He quickly went to Chanyeol’s side who is currently squatting, and calmed the taller in hushed tone. “Chanyeol, it’s okay. They’re my trusted friends.”

                Others were surprised. Who is this guy? Why is he being like this? Kyungsoo went to the prince’s side and asked him to keep his weapon, thinking it might be the reason of the stranger’s fear. Both Jongin and Minseok kept their weapons and dismount their horse.

                “No, it’s a Kim! That guy with a long hair. It’s a Kim I tell you!” Chanyeol hushed talking frantically.

                “It’s okay Chanyeol. He doesn’t know you’re a dragon if you don’t change.”

                “Really?”

                “Yeah.”

                “Are you sure?”

                “Yes, I am. It’s okay Chanyeol, trust me on this one. I know what I’m doing.” Baekhyun reassures the taller.

                The duo was busy with their conversation that they did not realize Jongin is already standing beside them. “Is everything, okay?”

                The duo jumps out of shock, “it’s okay now Jongin, Chanyeol is a bit scared of meeting new people.”

                “Oh, nice to meet you Chanyeol,” Jongin smiled towards the dragon and offered his hand to help Chanyeol to stand.

                Out of habit, Chanyeol bowed to the ground towards Jongin. It shocked all the people standing there, especially Jongin. Baekhyun instantly holds Chanyeol’s shirt and forces him up and then controls Chanyeol’s hand into shaking the prince’s hand. “Sorry, um Chanyeol, uh… Lost his memory. Yeah, he lost his memory, right Chanyeol?” Baekhyun looked Chanyeol eyes and signaling him to play along. And Chanyeol did. He just nodded. “He doesn’t even know what era is this now!” Baekhyun had to come out the story. What Chanyeol did just now, was what the magical creature used to do to their pleged master. It’s a sign of respect of the master who owned and taking care their well-being.

                When the others showed a pity face, and said their sorry for Chanyeol’s lost memory, Baekhyun exhale out of relief. He knows then the other won’t ask much about Chanyeol, Baekhyun friends are type of people who wouldn’t ask much about other people’s past. However, Baekhyun have to come up a story of his chase and how he met Chanyeol.

                Chanyeol still standing behind Baekhyun and holds tightly the smaller’s cape. Still nervous of the others. To Chanyeol, Minseok looks scary with his sharp look, Kyungsoo looks intimidating despite his small build, Jongin….nevermind, but Jongdae, looks friendly, or maybe the noodle hair looked a bit funny.

                Maybe because of his friendly nature which he always smiles and greet people to buy his crops, Jongdae was the first out of bunch, to introduce himself, “hey tall guy, I’m Jongdae. Nice to meet you!”

                Delighted by Jongdae's action, Chanyeol decided that he likes Jongdae.