Chapter 4: A Friend in Need

A cat who was once a dragon

               It is Sunday morning, which is the calmest time of the day in the castle before the castle main door opens for the people to come in have an audience with the King and sometimes, the prince. Kyungsoo, the court wizard was having his usual morning coffee in his new room at the servant’s quarter inside the castle ground. By being one of the court wizards at the young age, Kyungsoo was highly controversial as all the other master wizards are talented and experienced that comes with old age. Although Kyungsoo is super talented in Earth magic, people are not used to having young wizard as one of the court wizards. The other court wizards in other hand, accepted Kyungsoo, as they already seen Kyungsoo’s talent from when he was an apprentice brought in by the court’s Earth Master Wizard, Master Jonghyun. Master Jonghyun died of old age and with that, Kyungsoo inherited the title from his master.

               After finishing his cup of coffee, Kyungsoo heard the sound of the heavy portcullis is being slide up to let the commoners in. Then he knows, his peaceful morning is over. Kyungsoo slide into his official robe and took his wooden staff. As he tightened his boots, somebody knocked his door, then invites himself into Kyungsoo’s room. When he saw who the intruder is, he rolled his eyes then continues tightening his boots.

               The intruder was raking his eyes on Kyungsoo as this is the first day Kyungsoo officially works for the public as the court wizard, and the smirk appears when he likes what he is looking at. “Soo. You look good in that robe. If only the waist part is a bit tighter, it’ll look better on you,” the intruder sits on Kyungsoo’s bed.

               Kyungsoo frowns, “Don’t sit on that bed, Jongin. I just tidied it. You know I don’t like creases on my bed.”

               Jongin walks to Kyungsoo and ease the smaller’s frown by placing his finger on Kyungsoo’s head “And I don’t like that little creases on your head.” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes away from Jongin’s face. “Jeez, you’re so grumpy. It’s just the beginning of the day. Are you mad because I didn’t visit you last night?”

               “No” Kyungsoo looks down to his fingers and fiddled it. And by this action, Jongin knows, Kyungsoo was mad at him, but too embarrassed to admit.

               Jongin smiles, “Sorry, father keeps me busy with all the paperworks. You know I want to be with you on your first night moving in here.”

               “I’m not mad. I know you’re busy. You always are, so it’s nothing new” still fiddling with his fingers.

               Although Kyungsoo was facing down, Jongin knows by the voice, Kyungsoo is pouting. They have been together long enough to know things without looking each other. When Kyungsoo first arrive at the castle as the apprentice of Master Jonghyun, Jongin has already laid his eyes on the smaller. Whenever the taller have time, he wooed Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo was embarrassed and scared at first because Jongin is the second prince of this country. People are not exactly fond of that. Gender was not an issue in this country. But after he gained courage from Baekhyun and a certain knight, they become a couple discreetly. “Yes you are, and I’m gonna kiss that pout away if you don’t stop pouting.”

               “Jongin!” Kyungsoo alarmed by that comment and he slapped the tallers chest. “If somebody hears that-!”

               Jongin holds Kyungsoo’s face in his hands and gave a small peck on his lips that makes Kyungsoo halt his movements. “Don’t worry Soo. I made Minseok-hyung stand guard on your door. If anyone hears anything, it’ll be Minseok.”

               Before Kyungsoo had time to retort back, the fast rap of knock on the door made the couple jump. “Someone’s here to see Master Kyungsoo”

               Kyungsoo backed away to regain his composure, while Jongin sat on Kyungsoo’s chair. After they positioned themselves, and they looked like they are having a serious conversation, Jongin called out, “come in.”

               The door opens, revealing Minseok with a Jongdae, whos looking to the ground. Kyungsoo saw a tint of pink on Jongdae’s cheeks and almost laughed. Kyungsoo too knows Jongdae likes Minseok and Jongin also in the circle who knows about this. If Jongin knows how Jongdae looks like, he too would laugh and start teasing, but, this is the first time he seen the infamous farmer in Baekhyun and Kyungsoo’s conversation.

               Minseok gestured Jongdae to come in, and when the said farmer come inside the room, his eyeballs almost bulge out from its socket. He immediately went on his knees and bow. “I’m sorry Your Highness for my insolence, I didn’t expect you here!”

               Kyungsoo waved a bit towards Jongin to gain his attention. Jongin looked away from Jongdae to Kyungsoo and saw Kyungsoo mouthing, “that’s Jongdae.”

               Immediately the smirk creeps up Jongin’s face. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. Jongin switched to his ‘prince mode’ and starts his teasing “well, well, well. What does a merely commoner like you doing here? You just can’t barge into the master wizard’s chamber to inquire their service. Everything has procedure and things don’t go this way. Wait at the great hall, then you must go through the hearing. And how did you walk inside the castle freely like this? The guards are not doing the job!” Jongin slammed Kyungsoo’s study table.

               Kyungsoo knows Jongin is putting up a show. People walk inside the castle all the time. And they do have to get through the guards at the main gate to get into the castle. Jongdae was getting scared. He was in hurry and didn’t think things through properly because he was worried about his lost friend.

               “These guards must be hanged. Sir Minseok, all the guards inside the castle is under your command aren’t they?”

               “Yes Sire.” Minseok was puzzled, is the prince’s mood bad? He was never like this. Minseok knows how much the prince LOVES playing pranks, but getting angry because a commoner walk inside the servant’s quarters? Commoners walks here all the time.

               “Then, you should be beheaded!”

               That alarmed Jongdae. Minseok was alarmed too, but he couldn’t distinguish either this is real or this is one of the pranks. He kept his calm because he is the Prince’s knight. A knight follows his Lord’s order. Jongdae in other hand, lost it. He can’t let the Prince kill his beloved because of his stupid decision. “Your Highness, Sir Minseok did not do anything wrong! If there’s anyone is going to be beheaded, it’s mine. It’s my own fault! I’m begging you,” Jongdae’s face red from begging. He was sweating profusely.

               Minseok smiled towards Jongdae. He was touched a bit by Jongdae’s action and by that, Jongin knows his objective has accomplished. “That was the stupidest prank that you ever did, you idiot.” Kyungsoo flicked Jongin’s head. Jongdae was shocked. Kyungsoo just flicked THE prince’s head. Then he remembers their relationship. Not everyone knows. Only the one that Kyungsoo and Jongin trusts knows. Kyungsoo squatted down and make Jongdae stand, “hey, he was playing with you. Come, stand up. You don’t have to bow to this idiot”

               “Soo, don’t say like that. I was just playing and it’s nice to finally meet you, Kim Jongdae. Thank you for your hardwork at the farm. Without people like you, we wouldn’t have nice meal,” Jongin complimented. He held out his hand to shake the farmer’s hand, but the said man petrified.

               The prince had just complimented him. He was so honored. He never thought about how his crops affected anybody, because he worked every day just to get money and live decently, and here, the prince is expressing gratitude of his hard work. Life’s good.

               “Hands,” Kyungsoo pushed Jongdae a bit to shake the prince’s hand that has been hanging for a while.

               “Right!” Jongdae woke up from his bubble of thoughts, then took the prince’s hand.

               Minseok excused himself to guard outside, then he closed the door. “So, what are you doing here? I know you’re not here to visit my first day being an official in the castle. You’re too busy for that,” Kyungsoo offers Jongdae another chair that’s left inside his room. Knowing that it’s safe to do so, Kyungsoo sat on Jongin’s lap like they were just hanging out. Jongin automatically placed his hand on Kyungsoo’s waist to keep him from falling.

               Not used to it, Jongdae was a bit shocked by this interaction, but he was not uncomfortable. “Um…Baekhyun is in trouble. Or maybe I’m too. We were targeted.”

               “What?” the couple was shocked. Baekhyun was always in trouble, but the wizard has never been targeted by anybody. The brawl usually ends where it started and it never follows Baekhyun to his home. “By who exactly? And where is Baekhyun-hyung?” Jongin asked.

               “I’m not sure myself, your Highness. There was three buffed guys and a witch. We asked who they were, but they repeatedly say that they wanted Baekhyun. So we tried to get here, but things happens and we had to split up. We planned to meet here, but I’ve waited at the gate since last night, and Baekhyun never showed up. I don’t know what else to do, so I just come here. I’m afraid for him, Kyungsoo-ya”

               “Just call me Jongin. Any friend of my Kyungsoo, is a friend of mine, Jongdae…hyung right? You’re my hyung?” Jongdae was shocked again by Jongin’s humbleness. Jongdae nodded.

               “Do you think it’s the guys from the store you raided yesterday? The one that uses magic,” Kyungsoo thought deeply.

               “Maybe. But, Baekhyun-hyung has made many enemies though. It wasn’t the first time he fight for justice blindly like that. So, where did you part ways with Baekhyun-hyung?” Jongin looked at Jongdae.

               “At the Blue Forest.” Kyungsoo almost hit Jongdae’s head for their stupidity. No one walks into the forbidden forest. The forest is thick and they are full of old magic traps that was left during the Eradication. Not many people come out alive after walking through the forest. “We know we shouldn’t go there, but when we were running away, we didn’t put much thought on where to run to. Only when I finally came out through the thick forest I realized that it’s the forbidden forest.”

               Jongin pull Kyungsoo to stand up with him. “So what are we waiting for?” Jongin stated.

               “What do you mean by ‘what are we waiting for’? We are not going anywhere. You are going to attend the hearing, which I think has already started and the Crown Prince surely gonna scold you for being late again, and I’m going to find Baekhyun with Jongdae.”

               “No, I’m not gonna let you risk your life like that and walk into that forest unprotected. Hyung and father will be fine on their own. Me being there is not gonna make any difference anyway. Besides, I just had the hearing with Jongdae-hyung, so now, it’s my turn, to help my people in need,” Jongin reasoned while writing a short note using Kyungsoo’s stationaries. He opened the door and asked Minseok to get the horses ready and also pass a note to the Crown Prince. He know his hyung would do a great job covering his absence and give good reasons to the King. Crown Prince Junmyeon has always fond of his little brother and he always got Jongin’s back even he always give an earful after the event happened.

               Minseok then passed the small note to his trusted esquire, Oh Sehun who ensure his mentor that he will do everything well, even if its the simplest job like sending the note discreetly. Initially Minseok had gotten the servant to prepare four horses, then Jongdae told them that he don’t know how to ride one, so, horses were down to three. At first, the knight offered to ride with him, but Jongdae was too shy to ride with the knight, because he will be so close to his crush. He reasoned that he will get into the knight’s way if anything happens, so he rode with Kyungsoo. After all of them had equipped well with weapon, food and things that is going to help them in this journey, they set out for the forest.

               Meanwhile at the Great Hall, Sehun send the note after the trio is already on their journey. Sehun took the opportunity to talk to the prince when he went out from the hearing chamber to find his problematic brother. Sehun bowed to the prince and slip the note discreetly to the latter’s hand.

               When he saw the front of the note, which says ‘Suho’, Junmyeon knows who wrote the note. To mask their identity in their secret letters, they always use their nickname. Suho is the Crown Prince and Kai is the Prince. It’s safer that way, and nobody knows that except the two of them and Sir Minseok, as he has always been the one who sending the letters. Jongin sometimes asks Minseok to write for him too. Junmyeon then went into one of the empty room to read the note. 

 

Suho-hyung, you love me right? I love you too.

I trust you.

Love,

Kai

Junmyeon closes his eyes, and feels like his migraine is attacking. “That brat.”

 

 

Sorry for the grammar/word mistakes!

 

a/n : Hello dear readers! I just started and finished typing this today and I have to say my fingers and idea today is on roll~ ;D 

I hope it rolls tomorrow too! >.<

BTW, meet the Kim royal brothers and Sir Minseok~! feat. Jonghyun of SHINee and EXO's maknae, Oh Sehun. 

I was wondering who should I assign as Kyungsoo's teacher, but then I remembered that I read somewhere once that in real life, that Jonghyun once taught Kyungsoo singing. Not sure if its true tho, but anyway, I think Jonghyun is perfect for this character.

Are the Royal team going to find Baekhyun soon? Will they meet Chanyeol too? The Royal family did killed Chanyeol's family, remember?

and don't forget Baekhyun is still being targeted by those evil guys.

We'll see what happens next chapter as soon as I got everything typed down. ^^

 

Thanks for the upvote, comments and subscribes! I appreciate every single click of it. Thank you. m(_ _)m