Chapter 8

An End Has a Start

I think this chapter's a little bit longer than the last one. After I wrote the first part I wasn't sure what to do for the rest of the chapter, so I distracted myself with other stories before coming back to this. All of the earlier chapters were only in Sunggyu's perspective, but now I want to show the others' perspectives too. So the first part of this is from Sungyeol's pov. And I'm such a er for hoyeol, so their relationship will start to develop from here. The next part is a mix between Woohyun's and Sunggyu's povs because I kinda forgot in the middle of it. And the last part is with Dongwoo and includes a new character. I'm terrible at descriptions, though, so i doubt anyone can tell who she is. I'm only going to slightly re-read this; I hope I don't miss anything.

 

 

 

 

"Do they really have to be in here?" Sungyeol eyes Howon's bodyguards with poorly disguised fear. They'd stopped him as he came into the record store the day after he'd learned the truth, patting him down and even checking his ID. They didn't even pause while Woohyun vouched for him. He gets that they're all in danger from some unknown source and it's just a precaution. But he doesn't do well under pressure and two big guys with even bigger guns is an awful lot of pressure.

Howon laughs as he joins the other man on the steps leading up to the storage room. His shoulder bumps Sungyeol's when he turns to face him. "As long as you don't try to kill me you're perfectly fine."

Sungyeol can't say he's convinced. "It's not like you actually need them," he says to change the subject. Slightly, but still. "If anyone attacks you, you can just, like, send something flying at them and knock them out." Howon laughs again, showing off the sharpness of his canines. Sungyeol's cheeks start to heat up and he has to look away.

"I'm glad you think I'm good enough to do something like that."

"You can't?" Sungyeol looks back at Howon in surprise. They haven't spent any time together (alone) since Woohyun told him everything so Sungyeol hasn't had the chance to interrogate him about his powers. He'd just assumed Howon—and Sunggyu and Dongwoo—knew what they were doing. "Wow, you just lost a bunch of cool points."

Partly offended, Howon playfully shoves his shoulder. "That's not fair," he whines. (Sungyeol tries not to gape at the pout on the other man's face.) "I didn't say I couldn't do anything. That kind of thing just isn't in my skill set right now."

"And what is? Levitating things? Moving them a little bit?" Sungyeol's grin grows the longer Howon stays silent (and the redder his ears become). Counting that as a victory, he turns to look around the store. His eyes land on Woohyun standing with Sunggyu. They look comfortable together, closer than Sungyeol remembers them being the first time he saw them. The smile slides off his face.

"Seeing them together must make you jealous."

Sungyeol's eyebrows shoot up to his hairline as his head twists to look at Howon. He shouldn't be surprised; it's not like he even tried to hide how he feels about Woohyun. Up until they ran into each other again, he'd been holding onto the hope that Woohyun would reach out to him first. That he would suddenly rediscover the feelings he'd had for Sungyeol all those years ago. But that won't ever happen. Not when Woohyun is so completely and obviously in love with Sunggyu. "I'm not jealous," he denies, shaking his head. "I'm just...resigned."

Howon frowns, his thick eyebrows dipping down as he does. "You're giving up just like that? You don't want to fight for him?"

"What's there to fight for? If he likes someone else, I shouldn't try to get in between them. He's moved on and I should too."

"You're a lot more mature than I thought you were," Howon says after a moment of silence passes. The smile on his face is careful, like he's waiting to see if Sungyeol will pick up on the teasing in his comment.

Sungyeol does notice it. He feels bad for ruining the fun mood from the start of the conversation, but he's grateful that Howon is trying to cheer him up. He returns Howon's playful shove from earlier. "We're the same age," he argues, his smile genuine and reassuring.

"But I have a few months' more knowledge than you."

"Yeah, I'm sure you were wise beyond your months by the time I was born."

Despite the wide grin on his face, Howon rolls his eyes at the sarcastic comment. He starts a witty (in his opinion, at least) retort when the bell above the door jingles.

All eyes go to take in the new arrival. Once everyone realizes it's only Sungjong, there's a collective, nearly inaudible sigh of relief. Most of the conversations pick up where they'd left off and Howon's bodyguards relax back into their silent watch over the store and their client. Sungyeol jumps up from the stairs at the first sight of the café worker. He's taken to Sungjong in an older brother kind of way. Partly because the other seems like he could use a bit of guidance, but mostly because he's very easy to tease (and annoy). And the fact that Sungjong isn't afraid to taunt him right back (or just hit Sungyeol if he doesn't have time for words) just makes things more interesting.

"Our Sungjongie’s here," Sungyeol greets him brightly, wrapping an arm around the younger man’s shoulder.

Sungjong rolls his eyes, but lets Sungyeol pull him into a one-armed hug. Even though he acts like he’s completely done with Sungyeol most of the time, he’s actually grown fond of the other. "I don’t think I agreed to that nickname," he says when they pull away from each other.

"That’s the point. I’m calling you that whether you like it or not."

"I think I liked you better when you were afraid of me."

Sungyeol scoffs. His fear of Sungjong had lasted for all of a day. Knowing someone could see his future had made him uneasy at first. But in getting to know the younger man, Sungyeol had become more relaxed with him and now he’s less concerned about Sungjong’s power. "Well, that’s too bad because I like you better now that I’m not afraid of you."

Sungjong has quickly learned to laugh at most of the ridiculous things that come out of Sungyeol's mouth. He looks away from the gum-filled grin the other sends his way to look at the others. His eyes fall on Howon's dejected form on the steps to the storage room. The other had deflated after Sungyeol had abandoned him in favor of teasing Sungjong. "I think your friend misses you," Sungjong says, turning his attention back to Sungyeol. He feels kind of bad for Howon. Plus, it's complicated enough without him adding fuel to the fire.

When Sungyeol looks over at Woohyun in confusion, Sungjong nods in the opposite direction. "Howon," Sungyeol asks in a low voice to avoid attracting any attention when he realizes who the younger meant. "We're not..." He trails off, unsure of how to finish the sentence. He doesn't think they're close enough to be considered friends, but it's not like they're strangers either.

Sungjong lays a sympathetic hand on his shoulder. Sungyeol can only wonder why. "Don't worry," Sungjong assures him—well, tries to; it would be more effective if Sungyeol knew why he was being comforted. "He's very patient. Especially with this." With that, he gives Sungyeol a nudge in Howon's direction and flits off to the corner of the store where Dongwoo is showing off his powers to Myungsoo. (The other has become quite enthralled by Dongwoo's power, asking question after question and persuading the older man to show him different tricks he's taught himself over the years. Howon has suggested several times that Myungsoo might be obsessed with Dongwoo. Myungsoo doesn't see it that way at all, though.)

Sungyeol is left the most confused he’s been all day. Sungjong really has the whole cryptic psychic shtick down pat. Turning to look back at Howon, he finds the other’s gaze already on him. Howon smiles slightly once he meets Sungyeol’s eyes and Sungyeol is sure he would have tripped over his own feet if he wasn’t currently standing still. He hopes he doesn’t look as awkward as he feels as he walks back over to Howon. Their conversation picks up more or less where it had left off, but Sungjong’s parting words are still in the forefront of his mind, making him more aware of Howon and his actions. Sungyeol silently curses Sungjong and his creepy powers for confusing him. Now all he can do is wonder what’s supposed to happen between him and Howon. And if he wants it to happen.

 

 

---

 

 

What's more surprising than a record store in the age of digital music is said record store actually having regular customers. And teenagers, at that. Woohyun's mostly sure the group of high school girls that descend on the store a couple times a week aren't actually coming for the outdated music. Some of the records are older than them by decades.

The day is starting to wind down when the girls show up. The foot traffic in front of the store has increased although no one stops to look inside. Hoya's already left with his bodyguards and a reluctant Myungsoo. It's just Woohyun and Sunggyu at the register while Dongwoo and Sungyeol are pestering Sungjong to read their fortunes in the Classic Rock section. (“That’s not how it works,” Sungjong says with an exasperated huff.) The bells above the door jingle and the girls crowd into the store. Two of them head towards the newly released music in the middle of the store while two more make a beeline for Sungyeol, Dongwoo, and Sungjong. The last two girls walk up to the register.

Woohyun perks up immediately, a wide smile stretching across his face before he adopts a more somber expression. "Just when I was starting to think I would never see you guys again," he sighs dramatically, placing a hand over his heart. Sunggyu rolls his eyes next to him. Woohyun ignores him. "Mijoo." He holds his hand out to one of the girls. "You didn't forget about me, did you?"

Grabbing onto Woohyun's hand, Mijoo mimics his serious expression. "How could I forget about you?"

Next to her, Sujeong, the tallest in the group, snorts. "Seriously, you two. Do you have to do this every time we come here?"

"You just don't understand," Mijoo tells her.

Woohyun nods sympathetically. "She really doesn't," he agrees. Sujeong and Sunggyu both scoff. Woohyun chuckles and glances at Sunggyu. He lets go of Mijoo's hand to wrap an arm around Sunggyu's shoulder. "I think we should stop now," he suggests, "Sunggyu's getting jealous."

The older man's eyes go wide at the claim. He looks between the girls and Woohyun, his cheeks heating up from the attention. "I-I'm not jealous." No one seems to be buying it.

"Don't worry. I'm not going to steal him from you." Hiding a smile behind her hand, Mijoo leans against the counter. "He's too old for me." She laughs at Woohyun's exaggerated gasp. She gets pulled away suddenly by Sujeong without so much as an explanation. The taller girl leads her over to where Jisoo and Yein have already partially surrounded the other three men in the store. (Having fallen for Sungyeol the moment she laid eyes on him, Sujeong's still nursing her crush on him. Her friends are doubtful of the chances of Sungyeol ever feeling the same way—or anything remotely close, but Sujeong won't give up that easily. She'll get him to notice her one day.)

Taking advantage of their momentary privacy, Sunggyu turns to Woohyun. With the younger man's arm still around his shoulder their faces end up closer than Sunggyu had anticipated. He takes a step back in surprise. Woohyun bites back a smile as he lets his arm fall from around Sunggyu. You're so cute. The thought only flusters Sunggyu more. "Shut up," he mutters, failing to sound the least bit threatening.

Woohyun chuckles quietly as he leans against the counter. "Was there something you wanted to ask me?"

"I'm not sure if I still want to."

"You already knew I thought you were cute." Which is true. Even before Woohyun confessed he had admitted to finding Sunggyu cute (adorable, actually). At the time, Sunggyu hadn't thought anything of it; Woohyun could be cute sometimes too. But now there's a different feeling to the words. A fondness that both excites and scares Sunggyu. He decides it's better to analyze that at a more appropriate time. "And I won't leave you alone until you tell me whatever it is," Woohyun says.

Sunggyu sighs. "Fine." He doesn't have the patience to make the other man wait anyway. "What I wanted to ask was... Well, I was wondering if—"

"Yes."

"You don't even know what I was going to say."

"I'm sure that's what I'll say," Woohyun shrugs.

Sunggyu rolls his eyes. He's sure of Woohyun's answer as well, though. "Well, since we agreed to try, um, dating, I guess?" His voice goes up at the end to make it a question and he looks at Woohyun for his response. The other nods. "Right. So, yeah, since we're supposed to be dating I figured it would help if we, you know, actually went on a date."

Woohyun grins as he steps closer to Sunggyu. "I was wondering when you would ask me out."

"Technically, I haven't yet."

"My answer's still yes."

 

 

---

 

 

Dongwoo laughs as he reads the text Sunggyu sent him. His friend seems to think he's being subtle by saying he's making sure Woohyun gets home safe. It would be believable if Sunggyu actually came home at a reasonable time afterwards. Dongwoo doesn't know who Sunggyu thinks he's fooling because the younger man definitely isn't falling for it.

His hand knocks against someone else's as he reaches out to press the up button for the elevator. "Oh, I'm..." His voice trails off once he sees the person next to him. He has to tilt his head up to meet her eyes. She would probably be taller than him even without the heels she's currently wearing. Dongwoo can't complain, though; not with the sharp pantsuit she has on to match. Her dark hair, long and wavy, falls over both of her shoulders and frames her face. "Dongwoo," he finishes in a daze before he realizes what he's said. "I-I mean sorry. I'm sorry."

"Nice to meet you, Sorry." The woman laughs softly at her own joke, but stops when Dongwoo only stares at her in confusion. "I should be the one apologizing now. My friends keep telling me I make terrible jokes. I guess they're right."

Dongwoo smiles at that. "I have a friend like that. He’s always telling jokes only he gets. He thinks they’re hilarious." The elevator dings its arrival and he lets the woman go before him when the doors open. He presses the button for his floor, noting that the woman will be getting off first. "Are you new here," he asks as they start to go up. He only has a few floors to make a move.

"Something like that."

That's not exactly the answer Dongwoo had expected, but it only makes him more interested. He wants to know who this woman is and he wants her to get to know him too. Before now he'd been satisfied with being single (or, more like, he didn’t have any complaints). Staying out of trouble and keeping his secret safe was more important than dating. Maybe seeing Sunggyu and Woohyun together had reignited that part of him. Their burgeoning relationship makes him want one for himself.

All too soon the elevator comes to a stop and it dings as the doors open. “It was nice meeting you,” the woman says before stepping out of the elevator. She gives him a small wave and a smile.

“You know,” he starts, “if you ever need anything or someone to show you around, I’m just a few floors up. I mean, I’m sure you must have someone to talk to or, uh, yeah, but just in case you want another one.”

The woman’s smile grows (and Dongwoo’s heart speeds up in his chest). “I’ll keep that in mind.” With one last wave, she turns away and continues walking. Dongwoo hardly notices when the elevator reaches his floor, his mind still fixed on the woman. It’s not until he’s in front of his and Sunggyu’s door that he realizes he never asked the woman for her name. Nor did she ever offer it.