Chapter 13

An End Has a Start

After three months I'm finally back with a new chapter. I want to say there's a relation between how long this is and how long it took me to write it, but that's not true. I just have motivation/inspiration problems. But anyways, there's a lot going on in this chapter. I don't want to give anything away, though, so I'll leave it at that. I should also mention that this might be the second to last chapter. Things feel like they're wrapping up now, so I think the next chapter will be the last. I might add an epilogue, though. We'll see.

 

 

 

The next time Sungyeol regains consciousness, he finds the woman, Dr. Moon, and a man he's never seen before standing over him. He doesn't know when he'd fallen asleep (or most likely passed out), but he does know that the pain is gone. There's still the uncomfortable heat under his skin, like he's running an impossibly high fever. Thankfully, it no longer feels like he's dying a slow and painful death.

He's lying on the table again, his arms and legs now bound. That seems about right, he thinks. He did try to escape, after all; they wouldn't take the chance again. Looking around at the people surrounding him, Sungyeol belatedly tunes in to their conversation. They don't seem to have noticed he's awake.

"And this is his third dose," Dr. Moon asks. He has a clipboard in his hands, carefully flipping through the papers on it.

The other man nods. "I gave it to him early this morning. His body responded much better to this dose."

"What about his mind? How is it responding?"

The woman responds this time. "His brain activity is exceptional," she says as she glances at Sungyeol. Their eyes meet, but she doesn't show any reaction. "His mind was already strong; it's even better now. There's a very good chance of success."

Sungyeol tries not to flinch when the doctor's eyes fall on him. They obviously have more plans for him, but he would much rather not find out what they are. "Keep a close eye on him for the next couple of hours," Dr. Moon says. "Once we're sure he's stable enough, we can start the tests." Sungyeol's stomach lurches at the statement. He's about to become a science project just like he'd predicted. Even though he'd envied the other guys and their abilities, he would never have gone this far. He didn't want this.

Fear and panic swirl around in Sungyeol's empty stomach. If he'd eaten anything recently it would've come up by now. With no idea what's going on outside the four walls around him, he doesn't know who he should hope will save him. Or if he should bother hoping at all. His breathing speeds up despite his best efforts to stay calm. The heat under his skin starts to increase in tandem with the quickening beat of his heart.

"What's happening?" Dr. Moon's gaze is fixed on the machines next to Sungyeol. They're beeping and flashing, though Sungyeol doubts they hold any answers.

The woman holds a hand over Sungyeol's forehead. "His body is overheating. It must be a reaction to the doses. Until we run the tests, though, I can't be sure."

"We should get him to calm down first," the other man says. He reaches out to grasp Sungyeol's shoulders, but pulls back with a sharp hiss the second his fingers touch Sungyeol's shirt. Holding his hands close to his chest, the man looks down at Sungyeol with a mixture of fear and amazement. "I think we should start the tests sooner. He's already showing signs."

Sungyeol had been wrong to think the worst was over. Even though he's stopped hurting from the inside, there are still too many things (too many people) that can hurt him from the outside. These people are determined to give him superhuman abilities. He's afraid to find out what they'll do to him if it doesn't work. His hands tighten into fists as another wave of panic washes over him. His heart is pounding in his chest and his ears. He's never been this scared in his life; scared of what's going to happen to him, scared of this experiment actually succeeding.

The room feels like it's gotten twice as hot. The air is thick in Sungyeol's throat as he takes a few deep breaths. He's trying to calm down, but his body doesn't seem to be listening to him. His heart keeps pounding in his chest, the sound echoing in his ear. The people watching him aren't helping matters either. They're not concerned about him; they only care about their experiment.

The first spark comes from Sungyeol's chest. The little flecks spring up through his shirt as if there's a fire starting inside of him. Flames follow almost immediately, spreading down Sungyeol's body to his feet and up to his head. His first instinct is to panic. Expecting pain, he twists against his restraints like it'll be that easy to break free. It takes him a few fear-filled moments to realize there isn't any. Despite the very real fire covering his entire body, he doesn't feel a thing. The doctor and the other man take several steps back away from the open flames. The woman, on the other hand, doesn't flinch. She continues watching Sungyeol with sharp, calculating eyes. He can't feel it, but Sungyeol is sure she's inside his head. That could explain why the fire engulfing him starts to recede until it seems to get back into his chest.

For the briefest of moments, Sungueol thinks—no, genuinely believes that things will be okay. Aside from being tied down with some kind of unstable drug running through his veins, he's still alive and that has to count for something. He doesn't get the time to figure out how he's going to get out of this or even wonder what they've done to him, though. More sparks fly from his chest, bigger and faster. He's expecting it the next time the fire ignites, but not the intensity. The flames are stronger; they rise up higher, making the other three people in the room cover their faces from the heat and light.

There's no doubt now that Sungyeol has a superhuman ability. The only problem—well, the biggest problem; he has so many problems at the moment—is that he has no idea how to control it. He doesn't even know if he can. The fire feels like it's getting stronger by the second and there's a building pressure in his chest. He's smart enough to know those aren't good signs. And he can guess what's coming. When his eyes meet the woman's, he can tell she's thinking the same thing. He means to tell them all to leave (not that he should do them any favors after what they've done to him), but no words come out when he opens his mouth. The pressure in his chest feels like it's reached its peak. All of the burning heat that he should be feeling on his skin seems to be concentrated in the center of his chest. It pushes up from somewhere inside, past his ribcage, through his skin and bursts out into the room. His vision becomes white from the blinding light, but he thinks he hears a loud bang. There's no time to wonder what could've caused it (if he was the one to cause it) before he loses consciousness again.

 

 

---

 

 

Sungjong feels it the moment he wakes up. It's the same uneasy, discomfiting feeling he'd had the day he was taken. There's an itch somewhere under his skin that tells him something is coming. He doesn't know what it could be, but it must be connected to the vision he had a couple of days beforeat least, he thinks it's been that long. Unlike the first time, though, Sungjong plans on heeding the warning his powers seem to be giving him. Deep down he has a feeling that this will all be over soon.

He starts out standing in front of the door, hand outstretched to touch the smooth metal. It almost feels like it's talking to him; like it's telling him what's happening on the other side. Or, rather, what's going to happen. Although he's still in the present, there's also a sense of the future.

He ends up in the corner of the room farthest away from the door. His instincts tell him it's the safest place to be. With his knees pulled up to his chest, he rests his forehead against his thighs and covers his head with his arms. He can't say for sure if this position will really protect him from whatever commotion is about to ensue, but he'll just have to find out.

His answer comes about five minutes later. A loud bang from outside the room sends the door flying off its hinges. It hits the opposite wall before slamming down onto the floor. Sungjong keeps his head down for a few more moments in case there's more flying debris. When he slowly raises it, he finds the room filled with smoke. There's an alarm going off, probably the fire alarm. He stands up cautiously and walks over to the hole in the wall where the door used to be. The hallway is almost entirely obscured by smoke. He can hear a crackling like something nearby is on fire. Remembering the vision he'd had, he covers his mouth and nose with one hand and ventures out of the room. He turns right, using the wall to guide him through the smoke. It's clear he's moving further away from the fire as the smoke turns from a thick dark gray to a lighter, almost white color.

His vision hadn't been very specific, but he hopes Howon is close by. He doesn't know how much longer he can keep going. His hand isn't all that effective at protecting him. He stops to cough several times as he blindly follows the wall. Although he should be more concerned when he feels a hand gripping his arm, Sungjong only breathes a sigh of relief. He already knows who's standing behind him.

 

 

---

 

 

Howon glances behind himself for what feels like the hundredth time. The emptiness of the corridors makes him uneasy. He feels like there should be people running about or at least one person around to wonder why he's not where he's supposed to be. Fortunately, and oddly, there's no one in sight. He's been wandering around trying to find the others or at least a way out. There's an alarm blaring like there's some sort of emergency, but Howon hasn't seen a single person. He's also starting to notice how hazy the air is becoming as he's walking. His best bet at figuring out what's going on (and hopefully finding someone else in this place) is to find the source of the smokiness in the air.

He's just turning a corner to a new corridor when he spots someone hunched over against a wall. Taking a step back, he waits to see if the person had noticed him as well. After a few seconds, though, all he hears is coughing. He peeks around the corner slowly and realizes the other person couldn't have seen him because he's not even facing Howon. He also recognizes the plaid-clad back. Howon wastes no time rushing over to Sungjong. The other is too busy trying to breathe to notice he's not alone anymore, but he doesn't look very surprised when Howon turns him around.

"Are you okay," Howon asks as he scans the younger man for any signs of injury. At Sungjong's nod, he breathes a sigh of relief and pulls him in for a tight hug. If he wasn't so on edge, he'd probably cry or breakdown in some way. But there's no time for that. With both him and Sungjong free there's hope that Dongwoo and Sungyeol are also safe—or as safe as they can be in this place.

"How did you get out?" Sungjong asks when their hug is over. His voice sounds raspier than usual, probably from all the smoke.

Howon steers them back the way he came in the hope that it'll help. Despite the situation, he can't help the proud smile that breaks out on his face. "I opened the door myself." He beams a little more at the impressed look on Sungjong's face. "I used my powers to unlock it. What about you?"

"It opened itself." At Howon's raised eyebrow, he elaborates, "There was an explosion; it blew my door off. It must've come from the room across from mine. I didn't get a look at what happened because of all the smoke. You don't think Dongwoo or Sungyeol might've been in there, do you?"

The thought had occurred to him, but Howon doesn't want to give it any strength. He wants to believe the other two are okay. Sensing Sungjong's fear, he tries to reassure him (and himself). "They're fine. I'm sure they're fine. If we're fine they're fine too. Everything'll be okay." I hope, he adds in his head.

Sungjong's smile is barely there. "You really at this," he says.

Howon chooses to believe he was at least a little successful at comforting him.

 

 

---

 

 

Dongwoo's always had a sunny disposition. He's an optimist who chooses to see the best in every person and every situation. It's gotten him into trouble just as much as its lead to a new friend or happy memory. But right now, he's not that person. There's no way to be positive about his current situation. He's very close to giving up; he almost wants to. Everything would be so much easier if he did. If he just let Hyuna and her father experiment on him and his friends. If he gave up on the sliver of hope he has that things will be okay.

Sitting next to the door of his room, Dongwoo lets his head fall back against the wall. He hasn't seen Hyuna in a few hours. She's tight-lipped about what exactly they're doing to the other guys, but she had assured him that they were all fine. He'd considered searching her memories to see if she was telling the truth, but he's never been a fan of invading people's privacy. Unfortunately, that means trusting her and after everything that's happened, Dongwoo doesn't think he should. As far as he can tell, Hyuna's definition of fine is drastically different from his own.

The only option he has left is to break himself out of the room. Which is easier said than done when his powers aren't at all relevant to lock picking. At least he doesn't think so. He's always assumed he needed physical contact for his powers to work. He's never tried it any other way. But theoretically, it doesn't always have to be like that. He could see (and possibly control) someone's memories without touching them and maybe even uncover them through objects as well.

As the idea grows in his mind, Dongwoo finds himself regaining confidencein himself and his chances. He quickly stands up and presses his palms against the door. All he feels is metal, but he doesn't let that stop him. If someone's touched the door he thinks he could use that contact to find a memory of that person opening it. The tricky part, though, is figuring out how to open the door from the inside. He's never tried using his powers on things that aren't human. Not even on animals. Partially because it doesn't feel right, but also because he never thought it was possible. He's essentially trying to trick the door into thinking someone is opening it. That's so far beyond anything he's ever done or thought of doing.

His friends' faces flash in his mind. He just wants to see them again, to know that they're all okay. They must be as worried as he is. He hates the thought of anything happening to any of them. The least he can do is try.

Dongwoo closes his eyes and concentrates on the door. He tries to feel more than just the cold metal on his skin. It's hard to tell how long he stands there with his eyes closed, all his energy focused on channeling his powers through his hands, but eventually he feels something. Hyuna. She was the last person to come into the room and he can still feel her presence even though he's sure she's not actually on the other side of the door. In his mind's eye, he can see the memory of her punching in a code on the keypad next to the door, as if he's standing in her place.

The next step is figuring out how to trick the keypad. It's not like it has a memory center that he can manipulate. Maybe... "No," Dongwoo shakes his head. He's never tried it before, but he doesn't think it'll work. It's one thing to put in or remove a memory from someone's head; he's had more than enough practice with that. Even pulling out the memory and making it into temporarily physical object is easy. But bringing a memory to life and making it tangible and essentially real: that must be impossible.

He shouldn't give up so easily. It's his fault he's in this situation in the first place. He can either stay in here and wish he was more useful or he can do something about it. The only way for his powers to grow is for him to test his limits. And this is going to be the biggest test of his life so far.

Squeezing his eyes shut tighter, Dongwoo brings back the memory of Hyuna in front of the door. It helps that they were (are?) close, makes it easier to bring her to life. As she reaches to type in the passcode, Dongwoo's fingers press further into the door like he's punching in the numbers as well. When it doesn't work, he tries again. Four more tries later, after he's started feeling a dull ache all the way up to his shoulders from how hard he's pressing his hands against the door, he finally hears the beep that means the door's been unlocked. His arms drop down to his sides and hang like deadweights. He'd started sweating at some point and now he can feel the dampness around his collar and sticking to the back of his shirt.

Hyuna is standing outside when the door slides open. Dongwoo forgets that she's not real for a moment, freezing at the sight of her. It seems like she's looking right at him until she steps into the room and through him before disappearing altogether. Dongwoo releases the breath he'd been holding. As excited as he wants to be for his accomplishment, he's hardly out of the woods. In his isolation, he hasn't been able to gauge how many people are a part of Dr. Moon's unethical plan. Aside from the father-daughter pair he doesn't know who else he might run into outside this room.

He's met with silence once he steps out into the hallway. Looking down either end, he wonders which direction to take. Which side will bring him to his friends. He gets his answer only moments later as the muffled sound of multiple voices reaches him. They're coming from his left. He moves to the doorway of his room, waiting to see who's coming. He thinks he's ready to fight if he has to.

The sight of Howon and Sungjong, both in one piece, leaves Dongwoo speechless for all of three seconds. "Howon!" He's too happy and relieved to keep his voice down. "Jjongie!" He doesn't waste time leaving his terrible hiding spot.

The two men have barely registered who he is before they're pulled into Dongwoo's arms. Howon steps back first, though he keeps a firm grip on the older man's shoulder. "You're okay." It sounds like both a statement and a question.

Dongwoo finally lets go of Sungjong so he can answer properly. Despite the huge grin on his face he doesn't know if he wants to laugh or cry. "I am," he says.

"How did you get out," Sungjong asks. There seems to be a twinkle in his eyes that says he might be holding back tears. Dongwoo wants to give him another hug, but refrains.

"I used my powers." At the looks of confusion on his friends' faces, Dongwoo jokes, "It was a surprise to me, too, but I really did use my powers. I'll show you." He turns back to the now-closed door of his room (rather than the prison cell it is, he's choosing to only think of things in a positive or at the very least neutral light). Setting a hand on the wall to ground himself, he conjures up the memory once again. It's much easier this time around; he doesn't have to concentrate nearly as hard. Sungjong and Howon both gasp as Hyuna materializes in front of the door. She disappears just as quickly when Dongwoo takes his hand off the wall, letting go of the memory. The grin is back on his face as he faces the other two again. "See?"

Sungjong seems to share his enthusiasm. He pulls Dongwoo back into another hug, even rocking the two of them from side-to-side in his excitement. "That was so cool," he gushes, "I didn't even know you could do that."

"Me neither."

"Oh, yeah, Howon was just telling me how he used his powers to get out, too." With his arm still around Dongwoo's shoulder, Sungjong steers him closer to the other man. "You did something kind of like that, right," he asks Howon.

With the attention now on him, Howon looks flustered. "Well, it wasn't anything cool like that," he replies, gesturing at Dongwoo's room. "I just used my powers to override the lock. It's not that big a deal."

"Of course it is," Dongwoo rushes to reassure him. Despite the progress he's made, Howon's still not as confident in his powers as he should be. He always wants to do better, to be better. "You couldn't even see what you were doing. That had to be hard."

"And you've never tried anything like that before," Sungjong chimes in. Howon shrugs, but he also seems happier because of their comments.

Dongwoo turns to the younger man next to him as a thought occurs to him. "What about you, Sungjong? How did you get out?"

It's Sungjong's turn to shrug. "I guess I sort of used my powers too," he says slowly. "There was an explosion from the room across from mine. I could sense it coming, so I stayed out of the way until it happened."

"An explosion?" Dongwoo hadn't heard or even felt anything.

"I don’t know what happened," Sungjong admits. "There was too much smoke. I just tried to get as far away as I could. And then Howon found me."

"And then we found you," Howon finishes.

"What about the others?" If there's a fire, then they shouldn't be standing around. They should be trying to get everyone out.

Sungjong looks to Howon to give the answer, who in turn looks hesitant to speak up. "Sunggyu, Woohyun, and Myungsoo are fine. The night we were taken Sunggyu contacted me." Howon points to his head to indicate the contact was telepathic. "He was trying to reach you, but I think something was blocking him. Only the three of us and Sungyeol are here."

Dongwoo's afraid to ask where Sungyeol is. So far, they've managed to find each other, but the explosion Sungjong had mentioned gives him an uneasy feeling. "We should find a way out first," he suggests.

"What about Sungyeol?" The panic is written clearly on Howon's face. Dongwoo wants to be reassuring, but he's still lacking in his optimism.

"We'll look for him as we go. Maybe you can try reaching out to Sunggyu to see if he can sense Sungyeol anywhere." Though he doesn’t look entirely convinced, Howon nods in agreement. His eyes fall shut, presumably so he can contact Sunggyu. In the silence that follows Dongwoo hears the distant sound of an alarm. He'd been too preoccupied to notice it before. He's mostly concerned for his friends and himself, but there's also a small part of him that hopes nothing bad has happened to Hyuna. Whatever their relationship is now, he can't bring himself to cut her out of his life entirely. He still cares about her.

 

 

---

 

 

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Sunggyu smiles slightly at the deer-in-headlights expression on Woohyun's face. They're cuddling on Woohyun's couch because they both have the day off and don't feel like being productive. (Plus, Woohyun has gotten it into his head that Sunggyu is his own life-size teddy bear and so he never misses an opportunity to cling to Sunggyu.)

Woohyun looks back at the TV like they both don't know he'd stopped paying attention to the weekend drama currently playing. "I wasn't looking at you like anything," he denies the obvious.

Sunggyu snorts and turns around on the couch to face the younger man. "Yeah, you were. Why?" He thinks he knows the reason, but he wants to hear Woohyun say it.

It takes a couple of false starts before Woohyun finally gets any words out. "I was thinking we should move in together," he admits quietly. He manages to maintain eye contact with Sunggyu the whole time, though a light blush starts to spread across his cheeks.

"What?" That wasn't what Sunggyu had been expecting.

"It's probably not the best time right now. And I know you're only here because...you know." Sunggyu hadn't been able to bring himself to stay at his own place without Dongwoo. It was too empty, and he didn't think he could focus on finding their friends while he was there. Woohyun had been happy to let him stay with him. "But maybe later, when we find them and everything's better, maybe we can live together. Dongwoo can live with us, too, if he wants. Unless you think it's too fast," Woohyun adds when Sunggyu doesn't immediately respond. He looks like he's regretting saying anything at all.

Sunggyu rests a reassuring hand on Woohyun’s neck and leans in to place a kiss on his lips. "It’s not," he says when he pulls back. "Too fast, I mean. I want—"

Sunggyu.

"Howon?" The unexpected voice in his head makes him sit up. Woohyun follows suit, looking a lot lost and a little peeved at hearing someone else's name at the end of that sentence. "Did something happen," Sunggyu asks out loud as well as in his head. He'd talked to the younger man the day before. Nothing had seemed out of the ordinary nor had he gotten any closer to figuring out where the others were being held. It was discouraging for Sunggyu after nearly a whole week had passed. If he doesn't find them soon, he doesn't think he ever will.

A lot happened, is Howon’s answer. He sounds especially grave, leaving Sunggyu to wonder what could've happened.

"What's going on," Woohyun whispers. He's leaning close to Sunggyu like he'll be able to hear Howon that way. Sunggyu holds up a finger to tell him to wait as Howon relates the day's events to him.

I'm with Sungjong and Dongwoo right now. We were all able to get out of our rooms and managed to find each other. The thing is... Howon pauses briefly and Sunggyu's stomach fills with dread. There's a fire. I think we're far enough away from it, but we haven't found Sungyeol yet. We were hoping you might be able to sense if he's still here.

Sunggyu fills Woohyun in quickly as he tries to process it all himself. He wants to reach out to Dongwoo, to check that he really is okay, but he refrains. That can wait. They'll see each other again soon. I'll see what I can do, he tells Howon, just worry about finding a way out. We're coming. He doesn't wait for Howon's response before he's jumping to his feet in search of his shoes. The conversation he and Woohyun were having is shelved for another time.

"Um, do you mind telling me what the hell's happening right now?" Woohyun's still on the couch, just as confused as he'd been at the start.

"We have to go," Sunggyu says over his shoulder from the foyer where he's pulling on his shoes. "Call Myungsoo. Tell him to get ready."

That spurs Woohyun into action. He grabs his phone and starts to head over to Sunggyu before deciding a change of pants would be a smart move. "Do you know where they are," he asks as they're leaving the apartment.

"Not yet." Although he's trying to find Sungyeol, it's hard when his attention is split between that and putting one foot in front of the other. It gets easier once they're in Woohyun's car. As they head to pick up Myungsoo, Sunggyu retreats into his mind. He can feel Woohyun's consciousness, a strong constant right next to him, as well as Myungsoo's growing closer by the minute. When he pushes further, he feels Howon distantly along with Dongwoo and Sungjong. Sungyeol is nowhere to be found.

Myungsoo all but jumps into the car as Woohyun pulls up outside his apartment. "You found them?" He sounds out of breath even though he'd been standing at the curb waiting.

"Something like that," Woohyun says with a glance at Sunggyu.

Deciding to take a break from using his powers, Sunggyu turns to face Myungsoo in the backseat. "I’m trying to find Sungyeol. The other guys are fine—mostly." He details his conversation with Howon more thoroughly for both Woohyun and Myungsoo. "I think I know where they are now. Whatever was blocking me before is gone." Sunggyu had only been able to sense Howon. And he couldn't even tell where he was, he just knew it was Howon. Now Sunggyu can easily distinguish between Howon, Dongwoo, and Sungjong. It's like there's a compass in his head telling him exactly where they are. He points toward the window on Woohyun's side. "We have to go that way," he says definitively. He's more sure of it than he's been of anything.

"That way it is." Woohyun checks the side mirror before pulling the car back onto the road. The ride goes by quickly, with Sunggyu giving directions every few turns, mostly because Woohyun keeps his foot steadily on the gas. The sun is high in the sky by the time they reach the block of warehouses near the river on the other side of the city.

Myungsoo, who’d been quiet the whole ride, speaks up first. "This isn't gonna be, like, a standoff or anything, right? We won't have to fight anybody? Because I've never actually thrown a punch in my life."

Sunggyu smiles as he looks at the backseat through the rearview mirror. "Don't worry," he promises, "there aren't any henchmen to get through. They should be waiting for us by the time we get there, actually." He doesn't mention the fact that he still can't sense Sungyeol anywhere. If he doesn't say it out loud then maybe it won't be true.

The car comes to a stop at the end of the block. They're a good distance away from the last warehouse. It's a wide three-story building that appears to be the least dilapidated one. Sunggyu gets out of the car first. He can feel the others close-by. It grows stronger until he finally sees three silhouettes stepping through the open doorway. There's a mixture of emotions swirling around in his gut when his eyes land on Dongwoo. The biggest one is relief. His friend looks relatively unharmed and that's all Sunggyu could've hoped for.

He and Dongwoo end up meeting halfway as they both run to each other. The hug they share is fiercely tight, like they're afraid the other might disappear if they let go. Eventually, Sunggyu does let go. He wants to cry (Dongwoo already is), but he doesn't let himself. There's still one thing left to do. "Are you guys okay," he asks just to be sure.

Dongwoo and Sungjong both nod. Howon either doesn't hear him or chooses to ignore the question. "What about Sungyeol?" He asks instead.

Sunggyu's eyes drop down to the ground. There's no way to avoid it. "I... I couldn't find him." He might not have known Sungyeol very well or been close to him, but the words hurt just the same. "I think he—" He's cut off by a loud explosion from inside the warehouse. They all back away although there's no flying debris.

And then he feels it. Him. Sungyeol. Just a moment ago Sunggyu thought the worst had happened, that Sungyeol was gone. Staring at the doorway, he takes a few steps closer to the building. Sure enough, another figure emerges. Howon rushes forward first, followed by Woohyun.

Sungyeol stumbles out of the warehouse holding someone in his arms. He’s barefoot and wearing a lab coat, but the strangest thing about him is the bright flame surrounding him. It outlines his body like an aura. He doesn’t even seem to be bothered by it. Howon and Woohyun hesitate at the sight of it. Dongwoo, on the other hand, keeps going. He takes the woman from Sungyeol without any fear of the fire clinging to him. Sunggyu belatedly realizes it’s because he knows her. She must be the woman Howon had mentioned. His eyes go back to Sungyeol who now looks unsteady. Howon and Woohyun catch him when his legs give out. The flames around Sungyeol shrink slowly before flickering out completely.