Chapter 2

An End Has a Start

This chapter is a lot shorter than the first one (about half as short) and it's not quite what I thought it would be going into it. I had a different ending in mind (like Hoya finally showing up), but that's just going to have to wait until the next chapter. I still don't really know what I'm doing with this, but I have an outline for the next couple of chapters. I should assure that the donggyu really is platonic here despite the oddly romantic moments they keep sharing. It's all part of the plan.

 

 

 

 

One night turns into a week which turns into a month. Sunggyu doesn't have the heart to turn his back on Dongwoo and he also wants to keep an eye on him. He figures this way his friend will get into less trouble. Despite the two years they'd spent apart, Sunggyu and Dongwoo adjust to being roommates easily. Although neither of them is surprised. They start a semi-regular routine of Sunggyu nagging Dongwoo about his messy habits and Dongwoo placating him with alcohol. (Sunggyu's starting to wonder if that's how his friend has ended up sleeping on his couch for so long: by keeping Sunggyu half-drunk most of the time.)

Woohyun had been oddly enthusiastic about the arrangement (not that anyone asked him) when he'd learned about it. It has nothing to do with him, but Sunggyu supposes it's one less headache to deal with if Woohyun really isn't put out by Dongwoo's sudden appearance. Woohyun has actually warmed up to Dongwoo incredibly fast considering it's only been a month. Sunggyu sometimes catches them talking quietly to each other before they notice he's close by and clam up. He’s almost entirely sure they’re talking about him. He doesn’t mind it too much; he just hopes they’re saying good things.

And while the two of them have been bonding, Sunggyu has started to think he’s losing his mind. He’s hearing things he’s not sure are real. Or if they are real, he doesn’t think he should be hearing them. Sometimes it’s just whispers, ghosting past his ear like the wind. Other times it’s like there’s someone screaming inside his head. After that first time with Woohyun he’s realized that it’s best not to go around telling people he’s hearing things no one else can. That doesn’t necessarily make it easier to ignore the voices.

"Are you getting another headache?"

Sunggyu pauses in massaging his temples and opens his eyes slowly. Dongwoo's worried face greets him from across the counter. In addition to hearing things, Sunggyu has also started getting headaches more frequently. They're not painful enough to be called migraines, but Sunggyu still ends up keeping a bottle of painkillers in his pocket. He nods as he goes back to trying to rub the pain away. (It doesn't work. It never works.)

"You should really consider getting that checked out," Dongwoo says, although it sounds more like a plea than a suggestion.

"I don't need to be checked out. A lot of people get headaches. It's one of the crappy parts of being an adult."

"A lot of people don't get them as often as you do."

Sunggyu sometimes forgets how perceptive Dongwoo can be. Of course, he should know better since they've known each other for so long and they're currently sharing the same (tiny) space. But he'd still held out hope that he'd had Dongwoo fooled into thinking it wasn't that bad. Without another excuse, Sunggyu continues massaging his head in silence. It's true that his headaches are abnormally frequent. To Dongwoo and Woohyun it seems like the headaches come every couple of days and last for about an hour or so. For Sunggyu it's more like a throbbing pain that fluctuates in intensity. He manages to reduce it to a dull ache most of the time thanks to the pills, but sometimes that's not enough. His friends would drag him—kicking and screaming—to the nearest hospital if they knew that, though, so he pretends he's not in constant pain and waves away their concerned nagging.

Dongwoo leans over the counter, his eyes searching Sunggyu's. "Is it because of something else?" He keeps his voice low even though they're the only two people in the store. (Woohyun's on a food run buying lunch for the three of them down the street.) "Why you don't want to go to the hospital," he elaborates.

"Something else like what?" Sunggyu has no idea what Dongwoo's talking about or why he's being so vague about it.

With a glance around the empty store, Dongwoo leans even closer. "Your powers," he answers in a conspiratorial whisper. There's an excited spark in his eyes that Sunggyu is sure must have been there when he'd first met Howon.

"What makes you think I have powers?"

"It's not just the headaches, is it? Things are happening to you that you can't explain. And you feel like you're going crazy." Sunggyu's hands drop down to the counter as he gapes at Dongwoo. He really doesn't give his friend enough credit. Dongwoo smiles triumphantly at the other's dumbfounded expression. It's probably taking a lot of effort to keep himself from bouncing around the room in happiness. "I'm right, aren't I? You do have powers."

"I don't—" Sunggyu stops short. He's not really sure what's going on with him. It could be true that he is developing some kind of super-human ability. But he could also just be experiencing a mental breakdown brought on by the sudden resurfacing of repressed memories. He's thought a lot about this and he's nearly convinced it's the latter. It makes much more sense. "I don't know what's going on with me," he says slowly. Rubbing a hand across his face, he lets out a deep sigh. The pounding in his head has subsided to a barely noticeable throbbing. "My head feels like it's about to explode half of the time. There's so much noise; I can barely think. It's only quiet when I'm sleeping, but I can't just spend the rest of my life unconscious."

Dongwoo's excitement has dropped down to a simmer. He reaches out to rest a comforting hand on Sunggyu's arm. "It's always hard at first." His voice, although quiet again, is full of concern and affection. "But once you learn to control it, it gets easier. I promise," he assures him.

Sunggyu doesn't want to believe that that's what's happening to him; that he really does have strange powers. It's just not possible. It's unbelievable enough that he even knows someone like Dongwoo. Someone who can do what Dongwoo can. But there's no other explanation for everything he's been through. "I've been hearing things," Sunggyu finally admits out loud. It comes out with another heavy sigh. "I don't know how or why or if any of it is real, but there are these voices in my head, like, all the time. I'm pretty sure that's a sign of at least three mental illnesses."

"You're not crazy." At Sunggyu's skeptical scoff, Dongwoo takes both of Sunggyu's hands in his own. His thumbs rub slow circles against the other's knuckles as he looks deeply into his eyes. "You're not. I know it seems like it, but if you let me help you I can prove it to you. Please." Dongwoo's eyes are shiny with unshed tears. Sunggyu wouldn't know from experience, but he can imagine what his friend must be feeling. Dongwoo must be relieved that there's someone else like him (technically Sunggyu's second after Howon, but the latter is in even deeper denial than Sunggyu). And maybe a bit frustrated that Sunggyu isn't immediately convinced despite Dongwoo being all the proof he needs. The last thing Sunggyu wants is for Dongwoo to feel like he doesn't trust him or his opinion.

"You're right," Sunggyu concedes. Between the two of them, Dongwoo would obviously know more about this than him. So it follows that he should let Dongwoo help him.

The light is back in Dongwoo's eyes, his growing excitement evident in his wide smile and slight bouncing. Before he can say anything, though (probably to gush about how great being Sunggyu's teacher is going to be, Sunggyu guesses), the front door opens with a jingle of the bells. They both turn their heads to see Woohyun in the doorway. He's holding a large paper bag with an odd expression on his face. (It's odd to Sunggyu, at least. He's never seen that kind of look on his friend's face.) It's a mixture of hurt and confused.

"You didn't forget my soy sauce, did you?" Sunggyu's sure that's not the reason for the look, but he doubts Woohyun would tell him the truth willingly. Especially not with Dongwoo around—no matter how close they seem to have gotten. He'll just have to get him alone and squeeze it out of him.

There's a long pause as Woohyun's gaze slowly travels up from where Sunggyu’s and Dongwoo's hands are still clasped to Sunggyu's face. "Of course not," he answers. It sounds normal enough, but Sunggyu isn't buying it. Not even the smile Woohyun has on his face when he walks up to the counter and puts down the bag of food. "I even got you extra just in case."

Dongwoo finally lets go of Sunggyu's hand to pull open the bag. Seemingly oblivious to Woohyun's strange behavior, he empties the bag's contents onto the counter one by one, chattering away all the while. The smell of the food is a big enough distraction to Sunggyu that he doesn't notice Woohyun leaving until he's halfway across the store.

"You're not eating with us?" He's in the middle of opening a soy sauce packet with his teeth. His empty stomach is just a little more concerning than his friend's moodiness.

Woohyun gives a small shake of his head in answer when he turns around. "Later. I want to finish cleaning up the storage room before the boss shows up. You know how he gets." Truthfully, their boss is very particular about the organization of the store; he hates seeing the backroom in any sort of disarray. But that’s not the real reason why Woohyun’s skipping lunch.

"Do you want some help?" It's a wonder that Dongwoo isn't being paid for all the time he spends in the store. He's there for nearly the same amount of time as Sunggyu—when he's not busy keeping an eye on Howon. (Not stalking because that's creepy and Dongwoo is definitely not creepy.)

"I'll be okay," Woohyun objects. Again that weird look is on his face. It makes Sunggyu feel guilty for some reason. "Enjoy your lunch." With that he turns back around and continues up the stairs to the store's tiny storage room.

Sunggyu contemplates going up to talk to Woohyun. Although it seems like he won't want to, with just the right amount of cajoling Sunggyu's certain Woohyun will finally admit what's bothering him. He decides against it after a moment. It might be better to give Woohyun a little space first. Instead he turns his attention back to his food, pouring the soy sauce over his fried rice before digging in. Dongwoo is equally as focused on his lunch. They eat wordlessly with the sounds of Woohyun moving around upstairs as their background music. The atmosphere feels awkward suddenly, although Sunggyu thinks it's probably just him imagining things.

Should I talk to him?

"About what," Sunggyu asks. He and Dongwoo both look up at the same time. Dongwoo's eyes are wide as he stares back at Sunggyu. Amazed might be the best way to describe his look. With a touch of fear. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

Dongwoo shakes his head, momentarily at a loss for words. "But I didn't say anything," he says quietly.

"Yeah, you did. You said—"

"No, I didn't say anything," Dongwoo repeats. He looks at Sunggyu expectantly.

Now, Sunggyu knows for a fact that he's not an idiot. (Maybe he sometimes does idiotic things, but that's not the point.) He had been at the top of his class back when he was in school after all. But all of that book sense doesn't mean he's particularly skilled at picking up hints. Like the one Dongwoo's trying to send him now. "But I heard..." His voice trails off uncertainly when Dongwoo continues to stare him down. He takes a minute to think about Dongwoo's words. He says he didn't say anything, but Sunggyu is positive he'd heard it, clear as day, in his head. Unless... When he focuses back on Dongwoo he sees that the other is grinning. "You mean you..." Sunggyu's finding it incredibly difficult to finish his sentences for some reason.

"I think I know what your power is."

Sunggyu glances up at the storage room, panic driving his heart rate up. Everything that’s happened in the past month is starting to make sense. It’ll probably come back to bite him in the later, but still Sunggyu looks over at Dongwoo and says, "Don’t tell Woohyun."

 

---

 

When Sunggyu had learned that Dongwoo had a strange power, he handled it pretty well. He didn't believe it at first (who would?), but he'd eventually come to support Dongwoo wholeheartedly. He'd kept his friend's secret and helped him to control and hone his power as best as he could. Now that Sunggyu is the one unexpectedly discovering a superhuman ability, though, he's not quite as put together. Even though things are finally making sense and Sunggyu doesn't have to worry about his sanity, he's still slow at adjusting. He spends the rest of the day silently freaking out and the following weekend calming himself down. Dongwoo proves himself to be the best best friend Sunggyu's ever had (which he won't ever tell Woohyun) by staying by the older man's side the entire time. He comforts Sunggyu when the headaches are at their worst and encourages him when he starts to doubt that he'll ever get the hang of being a mind reader. Sunggyu's pretty sure Dongwoo is the reason why he hasn't actually lost his mind. And not, of course, because Sunggyu really isn't losing his mind.

Teaching Sunggyu to control his power turns out to be just a bit above Dongwoo's skill level. His powers aren't as active as Sunggyu's. The figurative on/off switch had been easy for him to find and take control of. It's harder for Sunggyu; people are always thinking and he can't control which thoughts pop into his head. With Dongwoo's suggestion of imagining a solid brick wall in his head, Sunggyu tries to block any wayward thoughts that might come his way. It works for the most part, but he has trouble splitting his attention between staying aware of his surroundings and keeping up the mental wall. Dongwoo assures him that he'll get better at it with time. Not that he would actually know.

It's only been a week and a half, but Sunggyu thinks he's made significant progress. Which he believes deserves a celebration. Dongwoo's not entirely convinced. "Wouldn't it make more sense if you waited until you learned how to control it completely," he asks. He's behind the counter with Sunggyu, pretending to be busy.

"Since when did you pass up an opportunity to drink?" Sunggyu's a second away from acting cute to get his way. He doesn't want to, but he knows it'll work.

Dongwoo turns to lean against the edge of the counter. There's an amused smile on his face as he retorts, "I think you're referring to yourself there." That's not completely untrue; Sunggyu does like to drink. But he's not the only one. Dongwoo enjoys it just as much. He doesn't even let the fact that he's a total lightweight slow him down.

"Dongwoo." Sunggyu tries not to cringe as he holds out the second syllable of his friend's name. He'll be embarrassed about it later, right now he just needs his friend to agree to go out drinking with him. As he wraps his arms around Dongwoo from the side he gives him a small shake. "Do I have to use my ‘you-owe-me-more-favors-than-either-of-us-can-count’ card?" When Dongwoo lets out a deep sigh Sunggyu knows he's won. He nuzzles his face against the other's neck with a victorious smile pulling up the corners of his mouth. Dongwoo reaches up to pat Sunggyu's head affectionately. It's a warm moment between friends that's unfortunately interrupted by Woohyun.

You're kidding me.

Sunggyu hears the thought before feeling Woohyun's presence. He looks up to see the other man standing over by the vintage records. His expression is unreadable, to Sunggyu at least, but the tone of his voice in Sunggyu's head had been clear. Woohyun has been rather moody lately. He hardly wants to talk to Sunggyu or even be in the same room as him. He's obviously upset and Sunggyu's not so clueless that he can't guess that it's probably related to him keeping his powers a secret from Woohyun. There's no way Woohyun hasn't noticed that something's up; he and Dongwoo haven't been very subtle.

Dongwoo steps out of Sunggyu's hold, putting as much distance between the two of them as he can behind the counter. (Sunggyu finds it odd, but chooses not to question it.) "We were just..." He tries to explain, but his voice fades out without a good excuse. Sunggyu doesn't see the need for an excuse.

"I'm leaving," is all Woohyun says after a long pause. There's a scowl on his face that he's clearly trying to hide. His eyes shift from Sunggyu to Dongwoo. "See you tomorrow." The words are stiff and insincere. Like he doesn't want to say them, but he's too polite not to. He ignores the wave that Dongwoo sends him as he stalks toward the door. The bells above it signal Woohyun's exit, the loud ringing in the quiet store almost mirroring his mood.

"What was that about," Sunggyu wonders out loud. He's used to Woohyun's passive-aggressive behavior; they've fought enough times that it's no surprise. He's just a bit confused as to why. If Woohyun knows Sunggyu's hiding something from him he wouldn't be dragging it out as long as he is now. He couldn't even wait an hour before demanding answers about Sunggyu's reunion with Dongwoo.

You're so stupid. Dongwoo lets out a small squeak when Sunggyu's head whips around to look at him, his eyes narrowing. He'd momentarily forgotten about the mind reading. "You weren't supposed to hear that," Dongwoo says with an embarrassed laugh. He slips out from behind the counter as Sunggyu continues staring at him.

"How am I stupid?" Despite his initial response, Sunggyu actually isn't angry. He rests his forearms on the counter and his head to the side, awaiting his friend's answer.

There's a pause while Dongwoo carefully chooses his words. "How do you think Woohyun feels right now," he asks as he stands in front of Sunggyu. The scene is similar to the first time Sunggyu had realized he had powers. Dongwoo's hand is already dangerously close to holding Sunggyu's. "He knows we're keeping something from him. He... He asked me about it. I didn't want to lie to him, but you should be the one to tell him. And I really wish you would. He thinks you don't trust him."

Sunggyu frowns, dropping his gaze down to his hands that are clenched into fists. With every word from Dongwoo he can feel the guilt piling up on his shoulders and making his heart sink deeper and deeper. "I do trust him," he argues. "He should know that."

"Then you should tell him the truth."

Sunggyu sighs, rubbing a hand across his face. Dongwoo's right. Of course he's right. It's not that Sunggyu doesn't want to tell Woohyun everything. He's sure the other will be some mixture of happy and understanding. It just doesn't feel as simple as saying "hey, guess what, I can hear people's thoughts".

"I'm not trying to pressure you into doing it right away," Dongwoo points out. He already has Sunggyu's hand in his own. "You can tell him whenever you're ready."

"Thank you." Sunggyu gives Dongwoo a small but grateful smile and his friend responds by squeezing his hand. What would I do without Dongwoo, he thinks as the two of them enjoy their moment uninterrupted.