A Bit Cliche Though

Kryber Proposal

I opened my door and gulped audibly.  My girlfriend, on any given day was hot, but in a suit?  I was sooooo gone.  A black suit jacket, perfectly tailored, coupled with a white shirt that hugged her body and a black skinny thrown loosely around her neck, who wouldn’t find her gorgeous.

My face heated up, as pink stained my cheeks.  I saw her eyes take in my outfit.  A classy white dress with natural make up, and heels to make my legs look like they go on for days.

Her eyes scanned my face, but then drifted up and down.  I smirked at my girlfriend and she gulped at me nervously, her hand shaking slightly she raised the flowers in her hand.

“You look beautiful, princess,” she kissed me gently and slowly on the cheek, putting the flowers in my hand.

“Thanks, Am.  You look amazing yourself,” I took the flowers and headed inside to quickly set them in a vase with water before locking my door.  Guess Sulli was right, she’s in a suit and she handed me flowers. Next evidence, fancy restaurant.

I flashed a rare smile at my dorky prince when she opened the car door for me before we drove off.

The car ride was short, but normal, singing along to random songs on the radio, hand intertwined in the middle, stealing glances at each other.  We liked to dress simply and comfortably, but on the rare occasion we dressed up, we couldn’t get enough of each other in these outfits. I guess since we so rarely do it, it makes it more special.

 


 

Throughout the whole evening, Amber pampered me like a real princess.  Holding the door for me, giving me her arm to hold, pulling my seat out, asking me to order whatever I want first. We were sitting at a corner table near a wall of the restaurant.  The whole place screamed class and romance, from the dark wood of the tables and chairs, to the obviously expensive table cloth and the low lighting of the room.  A soft glow from the small candles at every table lit the room enough to see the one you were with, but kept it dark enough to offer the illusion of privacy. Another strike for the proposal idea, a fancy restaurant with obvious romantic tones. The ideal setting for a proposal.

We ate, we flirted, we talked about our day, about our friends.  We reminisced and laughed about things we had done in the past.  It was both comfortable and familiar, but also sweet and new.  The setting made it feel like we were falling in love all over again.

“Princess,” Amber took my left hand in her right hand, “I love you.  You’re sarcastic, you can be cold, you bully me.”

Wait what? I thought this was supposed to be the romantic speech right before proposal! I nearly tugged my hand out of her hold to hit her on the head. Luckily for her she kept talking.

“But you’re warm, and sweet and caring and just amazing.  I have never been happier than I am with you,” she looked at me with her brown eyes, love shining through with every cheesy word that fell from her lips, “If I could put the world on a silver platter and give it to you, it still wouldn’t be enough to show you how much you’re worth. I love you, Krystal.”

I blushed at her words, they were sweet and romantic and they touched my heart, but also embarrassed me to no end.  Only my dork could ever make me feel like this.  My empty hand reached to try to cover my smile, but tears were welling in my eyes. This was it, the perfect timing.  Romantic words, the ring should appear soon! I waited for it with baited breath…..

 

.....

.......

.....

.........

 

“Princess?” she looked at me puzzled when I sat still for a few heartbeats just holding my breath.

I slowly let it out, a little disappointed, but maybe it wasn’t the right timing yet. She probably planned an even more perfect moment for us, “I love you too, Am.  I don’t need the world, okay? Just you.”

She grinned at me and leaned over to plant a slow kiss on my lips.  The warmth spread like a burning flame, slowly as if it would burn forever not like a firework that disappeared after a flash.  My hand caressed her cheek as she pulled away.

From the corner of my I spied a waiter with champagne in a bucket of ice, maybe this was it.  He was coming towards us, it was the classic movie proposal!  I would drink the champagne and there, BAM! The ring would be at the bottom and Amber would be grinning at me dorkily.  She probably had this set up so that I’d be disappointed first, then there’d be a shock factor once it happened!

Closer the waiter came, a few more steps and he would be at our table.  I kept my gaze on Amber and whatever she was trying to distract me with.  But slowly, I counted the steps as the waiter neared our table. Almost there… I stifled a smile that threatened to break out.

 

 

 

 

He walked straight past us. Delivering the bottle two tables down from us.  I almost frowned, but quickly hid it by running my fingers through my hair.  I had been gearing up to be in the perfect position for the proposal moment! ARGH! And it wasn’t even for our table.

 

 

Cheers broke out and snapped me out of my thoughts.  People around us were smiling and clapping for some reason. Including Amber.  She motioned behind me with her head.  There! The couple at the table the waiter had gone to were hugging.  The girl in tears as the man knelt on one knee. Tch. I knew it was for a proposal…. Except it wasn’t MY proposal.

“That was really cute,” Amber said jerking her head at the couple, “The waiter served the champagne and when they drank, the girl  suddenly squealed and the guy knelt down and proposed.  Looks like she said yes.”

“Hmm… Yeah, a bit cliché though,” I muttered a bit coldly. Yeah, I was feeling bitter, I’d seen it coming and prepared myself and all, but it wasn’t for me! GAH!

“Can’t go wrong with clichés, I guess” she shrugged and we resumed our conversation. 

I was disappointed, I had geared myself up so much for this, but it didn’t look like it would be happening soon.  I didn’t show that though, I smiled and laughed for Amber.  It’s not her fault if I read too much into things. Sulli was wrong…. I was wrong....