It's Unfair To Be So Disappointed

Kryber Proposal

I lay in bed, with Amber hugging me from behind her arms wrapped around me to keep me safe and warm.

4:38 am, the clock read. 

I barely got any sleep.  Too many thoughts and too much disappointment clouding me.  I invited Amber to stay the night when we got home late, lying in bed in each other’s arms.  We didn’t do anything, just cuddled, we didn’t need anything else to end our romantic night.  Just whispers of I love you and Happy Anniversary.  I felt so bad that I could enjoy the perfect anniversary dinner Amber had organised just because of my stupid expectations.

A sigh escaped my lips for the 1000th time.  I gently lifted my girlfriend’s arm and quietly slipped out of bed without waking her.  With a robe wrapped around me, I stepped out onto the balcony of my bedroom and looked out over the city.  This was my home, I leaned my arms on the rails and watched my breath come out in puffs of white.

I should have known that Sulli and I were reading too much into things.  It’s just everything fit so perfectly.  The fidgeting, the dinner, the clothes, even the romantic speech.  So many times when my heart would swell thinking ‘This is it.  I’m going to be engaged to this beautiful woman’, but every single time it would be my expectations dashed. 

And it wasn’t fair. 

A tear rolled down my cheek, it wasn’t fair to me since I just hurt myself repeatedly on one of the best anniversaries we’d spent together, and it wasn’t fair for me to feel so hurt and disappointed when Amber had put so much thought and love and care into planning it.  Just… I got so excited and happy thinking of us in that way… Engaged...

I wiped my tear away and watched the sun come up.  The city buildings in silhouette against the dark blue as the sky slowly changed to orange.

I felt arms wrap around me.  Amber looked at me sleepily from behind, a blanket wrapped around the two of us and her hands on either side of me on the rails.  Her chin resting on the crook of my neck as the two of us stood together.

“Why are you up so early, princess?”

“Just felt like it.”

She hummed in response, “It’s cold, silly.  You should’ve taken a blanket so you don’t get sick.”

I just smiled and leaned back even more to rest against her.  Even half-asleep my dork still only thought of me. I loved sleepy Amber, this one tends to lose her filter and blunt unpolished words would come out.

“See that?” she pointed out towards the city.

“Yeah…?” I drawled out confused.

“If I could wrap it up and give it to you, I would,” she smiled dreamily, eyes still half-closed, “Just to show even a small percent of how much you mean to me.”

“Huh? Wrap what up?” I was getting beyond confused now, I loved this Amber, but she didn’t always make sense.

“The world! You mean the world to me!” she giggled, “Hehe get it?”

“Aish! You’re so embarrassing!” my nose wrinkled at the sleepy, but cheesy words.  Even when only half-awake, she still swept me off my feet.

Her lips kissed my cheek for a long moment, before she pulled back and looked at me. 

More awake now with the sun slowly lighting our faces, “Let’s stay like this forever, princess.”

“……Yeah…” I breathed, together, I want this to be our forever too.

“Awww! Cute! Are you finally speechless, princess?”

“Yah! You ruined the moment, llama!” I hit her shoulder and pushed away from the railing.

She just laughed even harder, and I glared at her with crossed arms.  Turning away, I walked to the door separating the balcony and bedroom, with every intent of locking the dork outside.  My hand reached of the handle to slide it back.

“Hey Krys! You dropped something,” I could see her bending down behind me in the reflection of the glass sliding door.  I couldn’t see what it was because my own reflection blocked.

“What is it?” I didn’t pay any mind to it, still playfully thinking of locking her outside on the balcony. I opened the door and went to step forward.

“Your ring.”

“What?” I wasn’t wearing a ring, I didn’t put one on last night. I only wanted her ring on me last night.

I turned around confused. My breath hitched.  There she was, on one knee holding a box with velvet lining and a beautiful ring sat inside.  The sunrise in the background. Her hair messy from sleep, our pink heart covered blanket wrapped around her shoulders. It was a far cry from the slick and classy look of last night, but the ring drew my eye.  Right there, the one thing I’d been waiting for all of last night has magically appeared just outside my bedroom.

 “What?” I asked again dumbly.

“Your ring, want to wear it?” she asked grinning at me like a fool.

“Huh?”

“Wear the ring, and stay with me forever, Soojunggie~!” she said.

She stood up and stepped closer to me. We were almost toe to toe, barely a few centimetres between us.  I just watched her, too shell-shocked to even close my gaping mouth.  She took out the ring and placed the box in the pocket of her pyjama shorts.  Then held my left hand and slipped the ring on my ring finger.  It was there twinkling at me. It was perfect.  Simple, but classy and tasteful, exactly everything I’d ever wished for in a ring. I never wanted anything flashy with a giant diamond. Just a ring that was simple but showed that I was cared for.

“There!” she kissed the ring and my hand like a true gentleman, “Looks good, right?”

That snapped me out of it, her grin was so …. Proud of herself, as if she had accomplished some giant plan.

“Yah! Is that your proposal to me? ‘Want to wear it?’” I cried out.

“Yep!” she popped the ‘p’ and kept smiling at me.

“That’s not a real proposal! You didn’t even ask me before you put the ring on my finger!” I was a bit angry, all the emotional rollercoaster I’d put myself through last and this morning for a ‘Want to wear it?’ proposal?!?! It wasn’t even a real proposal question!

“Hehehe okay okay,” she put her hands on my shoulder soothingly and put her forehead on mine, “Princess, marry me?”

I blushed even though I was already wearing her ring, but it was different  hearing her asking me to marry her, “Yes, you dork.”

It a little cold, but it was her fault! She just smiled and kissed me.  Our lips moved together in sync.  Caressing each other as my hands wrapped around her neck and hers slid down my shoulders, gently rubbed my sides and then circled my waist.

 

 

 

We found ourselves lying in bed again, her sitting with her back against the headboard and me sitting in between her legs resting in her embrace.  I admired the beautiful ring my finger as my fiancée, (I love that word) watched me with her head on my shoulder.

“I can’t believe you proposed like that,” I said for the 100th time this morning, still staring at the beautiful simple silver that wrapped around the perfect diamond on my finger.

“I love you, and you love me.  I thought it was really fun to do it like that,” Amber smiled at the younger girl and tightened her embrace.

“Why didn’t you propose last night?”

“Were you expecting it?”

I nodded my head, “The way you acting, the fancy dinner, the clothes, even the speech about giving me the world. It was like the perfect movie moment for a proposal. So yeah, I kind of expected it…”

“That’s why. It’s not a surprise if you expected it, I wanted to surprise you,” she said.

I turned my head to look at her.  Leaning forward I captured her lips in another slow and loving kiss.  Sure my heart took a few hits in the rollercoaster it was put through, but no matter what Amber had just been thinking of me the whole time.  It wasn’t the movie proposal I imagined, but it was definitely memorable.  And really it was perfect.  She did her way, her own dorky, loving way and it brought out myself.  Not some super excited teen, but the ice princess that loved her.

We pulled away when air became necessary.  Our lips separating just far enough for us to catch our breath. Every movement had our lips brushing against each other. 

I leaned against her chest and whispered, “I love you, Am.”

A kiss on my forehead and a whisper in my ear followed, “I love you too, Krys.”

Our breathing in sync, and our future before us…. Nothing was better.  The diamond twinkled as the first sun rise of our engagement filtered into the room.

It really was the perfect proposal.