Chapter 5

Monochrome

 

“I’m sorry.”

Junhyung jumps a bit, jolted out his reverie as Hyunseung suddenly spoke. He looks over his elbow at the lanky phantom, narrowing his eyes. “’Just because,’ again? Forget it!”

Hyunseung laughs, shaking his head. “You’re so full of it—“

“Yes, I am, so get over it!” snaps Junhyung, reburying his face in his arms as he felt his eyes stinging. “Just leave me alone—“

The two sat quietly for a few beats, and Hyunseung stared at the sky that had been painted black by their farewell. “Hey.”

“. . . sorry for being a .”

“Huh?”

“I was jealous, OK? Are you deaf now, too?” Raising his head, he glares at Hyunseung. “You were spending more time with Hyuna than with us—“

“And by with ‘us’ you mean with ‘you—‘”

“Oh, shut it. I swear you’re more annoying dead than alive.”

Hyunseung grins, his wide eyes filled with mirth as he nudges the rapper with his shoulder. “But that’s why I’m awesome.”

“Seriously? With your own mouth?” Junhyung sighs, feeling his lips curl. Then he finds himself laughing with Hyunseung, and for the first time in a year, the sound wasn’t brittle or bitter.

Still grinning, Hyunseung rises, dusting himself off before offering a hand and pulling Junhyung up. “You know, Hyuna ships us.”

“She what?”

“Nothing! You know, you shouldn’t tease Gikwang about resembling Hyungnim when your sour face looks more like him. Like father, like son—“

“Jang Hyunseung!” Junhyung growls, aiming a punch at Hyunseung’s shoulder. But his fist just travels through the ghost.

Smiling sadly, Hyunseung his head to the east, where the sun was peeping over the duvet of the ocean. “Morning already, sheesh! But, hey?”

“Don’t go—“ Junhyung blurted out, reaching for Hyunseung’s hand.

Tightly clasping Junhyung’s icy hands in his own, Hyunseung stares out to the reflected pinks and oranges in the sea. He pulls his slightly shivering friend closer, drawing him into one last morning kiss, and Junhyung leans in, closing his eyes. A warm wind stirs their hairs for a bit, and he releases Junhyung. “Come visit me more often, OK? And don’t come empty handed!”

And then, that person was gone, vanishing as the cold darkness was banished by the rising sun. And Junhyung lingers alone on the warm sand, staring into his own lonely shadow. Then he smiles faintly as he sees the phantom’s delicate fingers interlaced with the shadow’s as they stood side by side in the sand . . .

 

END // Chapter 5

160303 - will likely upload final chapter (epilogue) tomorrow