Chapter 4

Monochrome

 

 

“Really, Hyunseung?”

“What? The company decided it, not me.”

“You still could have just said ‘no.’”

“Look, what’s your problem?”

“Nothing.”

“Really now, Junhyung? Why are you acting like such a ?”

“Takes a to know one.”

“. . . is this about Hyuna? Look, we’re just performing together—“

“Whatever, you attention . Why don’t you just go solo? It’s not like we need you here.”

“Seriously, what’s your problem?”

“Nothing.”

“Fine, Mr. Nothing. Why don’t YOU go solo because Beauty was hurt because of you?”

“Leave Hara out of this!”

“I didn’t bring her into this, so why don’t you leave her out?”

“Wow, just wow. Your attitude . . . You know, maybe I will go solo. Can’t wait ‘til my contract expires and—“

 

And that was just the first of a series of fights Junhyung and Hyunseung would have over the years . . . but the words that stung Junhyung the most were the ones that he’d said out of spite just hours before Hyunseung had died. Those horrible words and hate he wished he could take back . . . Maybe if he could go back in time and erase those words, Hyunseung would still be here. Maybe, just maybe—

 

Junhyung glanced at the clock on his studio wall. Hyunseung was probably still shooting at the beach, about to whine about the weather and how hungry he was. He scrolled his mouse on his screen, checking the date; it was nearly December, and the weather and wind were bitingly cold once the sun set . . . He shook himself.

Why worry about that opportunist? He thought.

Then again, the other guys had already gone to support Hyunseung between gaps in their busy schedules. Wouldn’t it look weird if only he hadn’t gone? Besides, there was a decent barbeque restaurant in the neighborhood that had takeout. He’d just use the excuse of picking up dinner to drop in. Maybe he’d take a few extra hand warmers with him, since it WAS cold out, and coincidentally having a few extra wouldn’t be suspicious . . .

Sighing, Junhyung pushed back his seat and left his studio.

 

Maybe I was wrong to say that to Hyunseung . . . He thought as he hopped out of the van. Then he smacked the van, earning a dirty look from his manager. Grinning sheepishly, he slips his hands into his pockets and walks to the set, looking for Hyunseung. Finding him huddled in a folding chair as a stylist fixed his hair, Junhyung resisted the ticklish urge to laugh at Hyunseung’s clattering teeth. “Hey.”

Hyunseung looked up, narrowing his eyes. “What are YOU doing here?”

OK. Opportunist jerk is always an opportunist jerk—

Mentally, he counted down from ten to hold his composure. “Nothing. Heard about a good meat shop around here, so I swung by because it’s close.”

The shivering man rolled his eyes. “You’re so full of it.”

“What?”

“Nothing.”

“Your attitude, seriously? I came because I was worried about you,” Junhyung said, dropping the bag on a small table next to Hyunseung. “I can’t eat after 7pm because of the stupid diet, so eat that while it’s hot and then go die in the ocean, you son of a .”

And then he stormed off, circling the neighborhood a few times with his manager before returning to the set because something felt horribly wrong.

Trotting up to the set, Junhyung saw an actor aiming a gun at Hyunseung and felt his stomach clench. The gun was just a prop. And even if it was real, they’d be shooting blanks, right?

Bang!

Something about Hyunseung’s face didn’t look right after the actor pulled the trigger, but the director didn’t call “cut.”

Something about the way that Hyunseung was staggering around while clutching his abdomen didn’t look right.

Something just wasn’t right.

Ignoring the angry director as he interrupted the “perfect shot,” Junhyung dashed to Hyunseung as he fell to sand, clutching his stomach with his face stretched tight with pain. A cold feeling washed over Junhyung as he dropped down beside his friend, and the nauseating smell of copper flooded his nose.

Fake blood doesn't smell like that—

Trembling as his heart and eyes freeze, he reached out a hand and roughly shook Hyunseung’s shoulder. “Hey? The director called ‘cut’ already—“

Those eyes that had been squeezed tightly shut by pain snapped open, wider than ever with a wild terror that Junhyung had never seen before.                            

“Oh my God—“

As he was about to run to get someone to call an ambulance, Hyunseung caught his jacket sleeve.

“Junhyung, help—“

“Hold on, I left my phone in the van—hey, someone call 119!”

“Junhyung—“ he called again, his white face twisted with pain and fear.

“Shush, you—“

“It’s cold . . . and . . .”

Shrugging out of his jacket and hoodie, he bundled up his friend, pressing hand warmers to both sides of that thin face. Feeling the fingers on his arm growing lax, Junhyung slaps Hyunseung. “Hey, stay with me! Don’t be such a wuss and—“

And what?

Junhyung frantically scanned the road for signs of an ambulance, but all he could see were staff members panicking and accusing each other of not properly checking the equipment. He bites his lips, slipping his arms under Hyunseung. “Hang on—“ With a grunt and strength he didn’t know he had, he lifted Hyunseung and ran for his manager’s van.

“What on earth—“ the manager began, shocked as Junhyung placed his bloody friend on the bench.

“Drive!” barked Junhyung, slamming the door. “Hyunseung, it’s going to be—“

Be what?

His words just stopped at “OK.” His friend’s blood was everywhere, and where the bullet was lodged in his abdomen . . .

Hyunseung laughed weakly, and red froth spilled from the corners of his mouth. “You’re so full of it.”

“What?”

“Hey . . .”

“Hyung, how close are we to—“

“Next turn—I’ll run the lights—“

“. . . I’m sorry . . .” whispered Hyunseung, tugging on Junhyung’s sleeve.

“For what?”

“Dunno . . . just because, I guess . . . and hey?”

Whatever he was saying was barely audible now, so Junhyung leaned closer, cradling that beautiful face in his hands as the manager took a sharp right into a makeshift parking space. “We’re at the hospital now, so—“

And his eyes widened as Hyunseung kissed him softly; it was a gentle, heart-wrenching farewell that couldn’t be stopped.

“I’m sorry, but I love you . . .”

After arriving at the hospital, Hyunseung died during surgery.

 

And dreams about that damned monochrome beach and night would haunt Junhyung every night . . .

 

END // Chapter 4

20160227 - the mystery of Hyunseung's character's death revealed