Chapter 2

Monochrome

 

I’m sorry . . .

Junhyung wakes with a start, staring at the ceiling as he swears he just heard that person’s voice. Looking around his room, his eyes gradually adjust to the darkness, but that person is nowhere to be found. He closes his eyes as he feels his heart beating steadily in his chest; it was whole, but it certainly didn’t feel like it was.

Hyunseung, I’m sorry, OK?

Sighing, he opens his eyes, glaring at the ceiling. Then there was a scratching at his door, and it swung open, letting in light from the hall and his dog.

“Hyungnim—“ he calls his dog, who paddles over to his fingers before totally snubbing the rapper by turning and trotting back out the door. He sighs again, rolling over to the face the wall as he hears the tink of a collar and four paws padding back into his room. “Hyungnim, did you come to tease your dad again?” Feeling a wet nose investigating his ear, he glances over his shoulder at Yanggaengi. Gently, Yoseob’s dog his nose before yapping excitedly as Doojoon came in and flicked the lights.

“You look like crap.” Doojoon whistles, calling Yoseob’s dog to him. “C’mon, Yanggaengi, go to the kitchen and play with Hyungnim and Uncle Gikwang.” After arfing once, Yanggaengi bounded out the door, his tail wagging. Sitting on the edge of the rapper’s bed, Doojoon stares at his hands for a bit before clearing his throat.

“Where’s Yoseob?” Junhyung asks, sitting up. He crinkles his nose as an odd smell wafts in. “And what is that smell?”

“Yoseob’s at his musical, and Dongwoon and Gikwang are trying to make breakfast, since you kind of out after Yoseob tried to make you eat,” the leader replied, giving him a measuring look. “So?”

Junhyung laughs weakly, his lungs filling with that frigid sea water as he remembers. “’So’ what? He’s gone, good riddance! But . . .”

The two men sat in silence for a beat, not looking at each other as that friend’s name hung in the space between them. Doojoon sighed.

“Want to come visit him with us after you eat?”

Junhyung glares at the wall. “No, I don’t,” he says stubbornly, crossing his arms.

“Suit yourself,” shrugs Doojoon, rising. Once he was gone, Junhyung falls back to the pillows, wanting to forget that person, but not wanting to lose him.

“You’re gone, but it’s not for real, is it?” he mumbles, drifting back to that colorless beach.

 

End // Chapter 2

20160223 -