Dimpled

If You

Jin should’ve realized it before this. Not to say it happened a lot, but he noticed things. The way Namjoon’s eyes would squint, lines forming on his forehead. Sometimes his arm would twist around Jin’s waist, pulling the older closer to him. He never said anything though, never straight out admitted to it. Jin felt bad that he didn’t think about it before, never really tried to do anything to ease his cute boyfriend’s mind.

                That’s how Namjoon got a little jealous of Jeon Jungkook, the college freshman Namjoon was currently tutoring in English. That’s why Jungkook was constantly at their shared apartment, meaning he got to know both Namjoon and Jin. It didn’t help that Jin had always been the affectionate and motherly type of friend, so he never thought much about how much he touched his friends, how often he would smile in their direction, or laugh at their jokes. He’d only ever paid attention to that stuff once he met Namjoon his junior year.

                To say Namjoon was his first love felt like an understatement, because no one had ever solicited such feelings from Jin before. The boy with the blonde mohawk sitting in an advanced course while being a freshman drew a lot of attention, but Jin could care less about Namjoon’s IQ and unique hair. He ended up accidently sitting next to him and began to notice how every time his mouth lifted into a smile, dimples would indent his smooth cheeks. Jin was done for once the dimples were out. Then suddenly they were texting, then meeting up for coffee, and after about a month they finally made it official.

                That was three years ago. Now Jin was working on his graduate degree and Namjoon was finishing up his senior year as an undergrad. They’d created a steady group of mutual friends, and Namjoon was used to how Jin treated them, but maybe it was Jungkook that made Namjoon finally say something.

                Jungkook was came to their apartment maybe fifteen minutes before Namjoon got back from his last class. Jin didn’t mind, he was always one for company. So Jin sat on the couch, reading through a new cook book his mom had sent him last week, while Jungkook sat next to him, watching a reality show while he had homework spread out on his lap. Maybe ten minutes into their seating arrangement, Jin felt a weight lay on his shoulder. He lifted his eyes from the book to see a sleeping Jungkook, mouth open as almost silent snores came out in each breath.

                Jin didn’t think about it, because Jungkook was like a younger brother. Because Jin had never felt any kind of romantic bond until meeting Namjoon. Because Jin was motherly and remembered how tired he was when he had his first year of college. Jin thought it was no big deal, but Namjoon had a different opinion.

                When he heard the door open, Jin turned his head slightly to smile at his boyfriend, with his now pink hair. He left too early this morning to actually have a proper conversation with the younger and had been looking forward to seeing his favorite set of dimples. He was out of luck though, because upon entering and seeing Jin and Jungkook’s current position on the couch, Namjoon’s mouth set into a firm line, his eyebrows drawing together in the middle.

                “How were classes?” Jin said with worried eyes; it was rare for Namjoon to come home with anything but a smile on his lips unless something had gone wrong in a class.

                “Fine.” Namjoon said, not so quietly dropping his bag on the ground. Jungkook jumped up then, wiping the slight drool that had formed on the side of his lip. He looked confused for a second but quickly took in his surroundings.

                “Ah, sorry Jin-hyung!” Jungkook quickly jumped from the couch, his homework scattering over the apartment floor. “I had to stay up late last night writing a paper for my literature class, I didn’t mean to fall asleep.” He quickly looked up to see an unamused Namjoon, kind of jumping a bit at the unfriendly nature on his usually kind tutor’s face. “Namjoon-hyung, you’re back!”

                Namjoon gave him an obvious forced smile. “Just got back, Kookie. Let’s get started.” Jungkook nodded, grabbing his things that had fallen and rushing over to the table. Namjoon didn’t spare Jin a glance, causing the older’s heart to constrict in worry and confusion. Jin pushed off the couch, heading to their shared bedroom not wanting to have to deal with an obviously upset Namjoon while they had a guest.

                An hour later, he heard the front door shut after normal goodbyes. Footsteps moved in front of the bedroom door, stopping for a moment before a hand twisted the doorknob and Namjoon stepped in. Jin was sitting up on the bed, still going over the same recipe from before. He couldn’t focus when things weren’t okay.

                “Want to talk about it?” He said in a light tone, really not wanting to cause an unnecessary fight over something that they should easily be able to fix. It’s not that Jin and Namjoon have never fought before—all healthy relationships had rocky patches. After dating for over three years, they’d had their fair share of disagreements, but nothing they weren’t able to work out.

                Again, Jin was surprised about how strongly he felt for Namjoon. He was usually a rock, little things didn’t work him up and it was rare when tears managed to well up in his eyes. Everything concerning Namjoon was different of course. Jin couldn’t control how easily tears would threaten to spill whenever Namjoon was upset with him or vice versa. His mind, which was usually calm and thoughtful, quickly jumped to worry and fear that they might break up, his worst nightmare.

                Jin kept his eyes on his book and tried to hold back, but of course he could feel the tears slowly fill up. His face was probably red from trying to hold them in, but he knew that he wouldn’t know how to restart if Namjoon had somehow changed his mind. If his boyfriend had finally realized that this wasn’t what he wanted after three years together.

                Before the tears got the chance to fall though, Jin felt the bed shift as new weight was added to it. Very quickly a head was pushed into the crook of his neck. Namjoon stayed quiet, taking in Jin’s lavender scent. He slowly moved his arms around Jin’s slender waist, pulling further into him.

                “I’m sorry.” Namjoon whispered, causing Jin’s throat to constrict. His pulse increased as he began to fear the worst. “I’m so childish.”

                “I don’t—I don’t understand.” Jin stuttered, his hands shaking as he lifted them to cradle the back of Namjoon’s neck. He felt the younger’s shoulders loosen after his action, a sigh escaping his lips and fanning Jin’s clothed chest.

                “I know you love me and I trust you so much,” Namjoon began. “But walking in and seeing Jungkook cuddled up to you on the couch, just, I don’t know Jin, I didn’t like it. I know you’d never cheat or do something to purposely upset me, but it’s been a long day and you’re my boyfriend.” Namjoon’s arms tightened around Jin. “If anyone should be snuggled up to you, it should be me.”

                Jin released a loud sigh, the worry quickly washing away. He couldn’t help but rest his against the side of Namjoon’s head as relief spread through his mind.  “Oh, Namjoonie,” he moved a hand to rub light circles into his broad back.

                “I know I’m being dumb.” He lifted off of Jin’s shoulder, trying to meet the older’s eyes. “I just don’t know what I would do if I lost you, Jin. You’re so friendly and affectionate with our friends, I just… I’m stupid and possessive and a horrible boyfriend and—“

                “Please stop,” Jin said, cupping Namjoon’s face. “You’re right, I am overly affectionate without thinking about it. You’re not a horrible boyfriend, you’re the best thing that has happened to me by far and you have every right to feel upset about something.” Jin pressed a soft kiss to the corner of Namjoon’s mouth. “But you should know by now that even if I’m very affectionate to my friends, it’s all pretty passive.” He moved to the other side of his mouth, pressing his lips again softly. “You’re the only one I’m actively trying to cuddle up to.”

                Namjoon smiled. His dimples were on full display, just how Jin liked it. Jin lightly pressed his thumbs over them, all previous worry completely out of his mind at this point. Honestly, his stomach was filled with butterflies, a reaction that hasn’t stopped even after three years of being together. “Lucky for you, I’m in a snuggling mood.” He pulled Jin so close, he was practically falling into the other’s lap. Jin giggled, feeling Namjoon’s warm breath on his lips. “I love you.” He leaned forward, pressing their lips together in a lasting kiss.

                “I love you too.”