With Friends Like These Pt.1

Cross Realm

Chapter 1: With Friends Like These Pt. 1

 

 

"That will be 15,000 won ma'am," Junmyeon said smiling as he pressed several buttons on the terminal.

 

The woman behind the counter looked at him with disbelief on her saggy, fat filled face. "What? But I only bought a few things. It shouldn't be that high!" She told him.

 

'Oh no.' Junmyeon thought. "I apologize, ma'am, but that is what the computer says it is." He said as sweetly as he possibly could. He already had a customer yell at him a few hours ago because a coupon for ten cans of chicken noodle soup wasn't going through as the man only bought nine. Junmyeon did not need any more of this.

 

"That can't be right, you must have swiped something through twice!" The woman then glared up at the monitor. Junmyeon let out a soft sigh. He would have let out a louder one, but he rather not agitate the customer even further.

 

"Aha!" The woman pointed at the monitor with one of her chubby fingers, her voice was so shrill it was like nails on a chalkboard. "See?! You rang up the spatula twice! I should call over your manager and have you fired!"

 

Continuing with his professional facade, Junmyeon glanced down at his terminal to see what she was talking about. "The spatula wasn't rung up twice, ma'am. It's free. You see-" He then turned his body and pointed at a small dash next to a set of numbers. "-this here tells you how much was taken off. Above it is the original price. Since you bought the cake mixer kit with it, you got the Spac-o-Matic spatula for free."

 

The woman kept staring at Junmyeon unconvinced. "Then how come my total is so high!?"

 

At this point, Junmyeon just wanted to throw his work apron in the woman's face and walk out of the store. "I'm sorry ma'am, but everything here seems to be adding up ok."

 

The woman wagged her sausage like index finger in his face. "I want to speak to your manager, I know you're trying to swindle me!"

 

Junmyeon thought up every curse word he could possibly imagine in his head, but he kept on his plastered smile. "Of course, ma'am" He turned his body around and yelled for his boss, Hoonjae. Hoonjae, who was at the customer service desk typing away at his computer, got up from his chair and limped on over to Junmyeon's register. He was a balding man in his forty's with a rough, pug-like face and good size beer gut to boot. The unevenness in his step was caused by a nicely shot bullet to his knee during his time in the service, which he liked to bring up every now and then.

 

"Junmyeon mah boy!" Hoonjae said cheerily, placing a massive hand on Junmyeon's built shoulders. "What can I do for you?"

 

Junmyeon was only able to open his mouth before the woman began ranting in her unpleasant voice. "You're trying to swindle me out of my money! My total should be lower than this!"

 

Junmyeon looked down his conveyer belt. Thankfully it had slowed down and there was only one person on his line. She was a younger woman scrolling through her phone, not paying any attention, or so it would seem, to what was going on.

 

Hoonjae laughed nervously. "There-there must be something wrong with this machine. Here, let me take you over to our customer service desk and I'll see if I can find the problem for you."

The woman grabbed her bags with a huff as Hoonjae tapped several buttons on Junmyeon's terminal and cleared off the woman's order. Once both of them were out of sight, Jumyeon's face fell and he let out an exasperated sigh. The younger woman finally put her phone away and glanced up at him with pity before heading over to the pin pad to swipe here card. For some reason, the looks she kept giving him as he scaned her items pissed him off even more.

 

 

------

 

 

The automated doors slid open as Junmyeon stepped out into the cool, January air. He made sure his hoodie was zipped up nice and tight before taking out his phone from his back pocket. The screen and illuminated his face. 5:34 PM was what his phone showed. He was supposed to get out at five, however, someone called out and their replacement wouldn't come in for another thirty minutes. Hoonjae forced him to stay. Well not necessarily forced him to stay, but the way Hoonjae told him that he "needed him" made him feel like he was. Although Junmyeon didn't have any more troubles with other customers after the sausage finger lady, that whole ordeal completely dampened his mood.

 

Junmyeon went into his phone contacts and dialed "BaconLova's" number. It took a few rings for him to finally pick up. "Hey!" Baekhyun greeted. "I see that you don't want to pay for a cab tonight, huh?"

 

"Actually I forgot my wallet in my room," Junmyeon said.

 

"Are you sure didn't just place it in your back pocket and forgot it like last time?"

 

"I know for a fact it's in there Baekhyun, I swear!"

 

Junmyeon heard the crackling of air hitting the receiver as Baekhyun sighed heavily.

 

"Junmyeon," He said informally. " We've known each other since before we could barely stand. I know when you are lying to me."

 

Junmyeon sometimes hated Baekhyun's almost spot on lie detection. "I'll...I'll tell you about it in the car."

 

"Did Hoonjae yell at you again? Because if he did-!"

 

"He's not the problem, Baekhyun." Junmyeon interrupted. "This time, anyways."

 

"Good," Baekhyun said. "I'll be there in ten minutes and I better see you or I'm driving off and making you jump through the window."

 

Junmyeon chuckled. "Don't worry, I'll make sure you see me." He then hung up and sat down on one of the concrete pillars in front of the store. Ever since they were practically babies, Baekhyun had always been there for him. Both of their father's had known each other since their Elementry days, and even after they went their sperate career paths, Junmyeon's father became a manager for a data entry firm while Baekhyun's became the CEO of Triblock Market after his father. They still managed from time to time to get their families to together and hang out.

 

One of Junmyeon's earliest memories was in the Byun families old house. He was about four years old. He, his parents and several strangers he didn't know at the time were sitting at the table eating a banquet of food as they talked amongst themselves while laughing heartily. He sat in a very uncomfortable booster seat playing with his peas. He pushed the little green balls with his fork into the crumbs and scraps left on his plate. He kicked his feet and whined, hoping his mother or father would hear as he looked away from his plate and at the TV. Unfortunately, his parents were in deep conversation with the other adults at the table that they didn't even give a passing glance at their son. Junmyeon pouted and stared back down at his peas.

 

He heard a small voice making booming noises. He looked to see another little boy waving a Goku action figure around in the air. The little boy noticed that Junmyeon was watching him.

 

"Hey!" The boy said, smiling happily. "Do you want to play with me?"

 

That was the first time Junmyeon and Baekhyun met, and since then they've been close as brothers. There have been times where Baekhyun even has refereed to Junmyeon as "his hyung." Every school they went to, they were together. Even now, both of them are taking the same business major and similar courses.

 

A glossy red sports car, with a yellow and black horse logo on the side and on its hubcap, pulled up to the sidewalk screeching it's breaks and honked after about ten minutes of Junmyeon waiting. He simplyshook his head. A few people that were walking down the sidewalk looked and stared, some even stopped and whispered to their friend or significate other. Junmyeon slid off the pillar and opened up the door. He had to duck in as the car was small and sat very low to the street. "Do you always have to make a spectacle with this thing?" Junmyeon asked as he shifted in the passenger seat before closing the door behind him.

 

"It's a Ferrari, Hyung!" Baekhyun told him. "Who wouldn't? Now strap in, we're going for a ride."

 

Junmyeon, already in the middle of putting on his seat belt on, gave him a puzzling look. "We're not going back to the house?"

 

"You said you were going to tell me what happened today and I want all the details. Besides, I'm hungry and I'm not in the mood for Sehun's cooking tonight." Baekhyun hit his foot on the gas pedal. The Ferrari wheels scratched on the pavement as he turned the car back on the road.

 

Junmyeon gripped on to his seat tightly. He caught his breath once Baekhyun had to stop at a light. "Ok, Hoonjae didn't yell at me...this time. I think your dad set him pretty straight."

 

"Damn right! He should have known better than to accuse you of stealing from the tray. I knew it was that night shift . She was way too innocent looking. Anyone who looks's like that you know is up to something."

 

Baekhyun continued. " My father should have fired both of them, not just her. We need to show our employees that what Hoonjae did should not be tolerated. Don't you agree?" Baekhyun turned his head to Junmyeon for his answer.

 

He simply shrugged. "I don't know."

 

Baekhyun clicked his tongue. He always had a habit of doing that whenever something annoyed him. " Our company needs to make an example to those that abuse their positions and if that means firing them, then so be it." The light finally turned green. Baekhyun stepped on the gas and lurched forward.

 

"But isn't that also an abuse of power?" Junmyeon asked hesitantly.

 

Baekhyun furrowed his brow, his eyes locked onto the road. "What d'you mean?"

 

"You don't think firing someone without giving them a second chance isn't harsh?"

 

Baekhyun scoffed. "Hyung, if there is one thing I've learned about business management from my father it's that people who are given second chances always make the same mistake twice. My company can't have workers like that."

 

"You know it's still your father's company right?" Junmyeon mentioned.

 

Baekhyun's face suddenly softened along with his voice. "...Not for long."

 

Junmyeon remembered that Mr.Byun had been diagnosed with terminal cancer in his liver just over a month ago. "I'm sorry." He told Baekhyun sincerely. "How's he doing?"

 

"Alright." Baekhyun said. "The doctors told my mother and me that at his current rate, he may have a little over a year to live."

 

There was an uneasy silence between them for a good minute. Junmyeon gazed through the passenger window, watching as building and street lights passed on by.

 

Baekhyun broke the quiet atmosphere. "Wanna get some McDonalds? There's one right up at the next turn."

 

Junmyeon shrugged. "Sure."

 

Baekhyun turned his right blinker on and slowed his car down before making a smooth, seamless turn. "You still haven't told me what happened, you know."

 

Junmyeon let out a soft chuckle. The air between them started to become much more comfortable again.

 

As they pulled into McDonalds, Junmyeon began telling Baekhyun about the woman he had on his line earlier. He went on about how rude and annoying she was and how Hoonjae up to her. Baekhyun had pulled them up into the drive thru. They were a couple cars behind the drive thru sign.

 

"-and then he gave her the items for free!"

 

Baekhyun shook his head in disbelief while pinching the bridge of his nose. "He should have been fired at that time." He said bluntly.

 

Once they ordered what they wanted, Baekhyun getting a chicken wrap with fries and a large coke while Junmyeon got two Mcdouble cheeseburgers, fries and a large coke as well, Baekhyun paid for both their meals and parked his car across from the Mcdonalds building.

"I thought you never let anyone eat in your car?" Junmyeon asked.

 

"Well, you aren't just anyone. As long as it doesn't get too messy, I'll just have one of my maids clean it up tomorrow." Baekhyun said.

 

"And what if it does?"

 

"Then you're the one that's going to be cleaning it."

 

They both covered their lap's with some of the napkins that were given to them. "It's been so long since I had good food like this." Baekhyun took out his chicken wrap and unwrapped it, taking in a huge whiff. "Mmm...oh yes!"

 

"Don't you mean 'peasant food'?" Junmyeon said in an over the top, rich person's voice.

 

"Just because I'm filthy stinkin' rich doesn't mean I can't enjoy commoner food." Baekhyun retorted.

 

They then sat there gorging for a few moments before Baekhyun broke the silence "So..." He said, wiping his mouth with a napkin. "You still haven't told me the whole story yet."

 

Junmyeon, who's face was stuffed with a Mcdouble cheeseburger, tried to speak, only to have pieces of hamburger fly from his mouth.

 

Baekhyun looked at him with disgust. "Could you please swallow your food first? I swear, sometimes I think I should have been the older one"

 

Junmyeon quickly cleaned his mouth up. "Sorry. What do you mean?"

 

"I mean that there's more to your story than just some crazy hag bursting out at you."

 

Junmyeon looked down at his feet. He never could hide things from Baekhyun for long. "Do you ever just felt like your life was heading in a direction you didn't want it to go in?"

 

"Kind of." Baekhyun said. "This is about your parent's isn't it?"

 

Junmyeon leaned back in his seat and let out a sigh of frustration. "It's like...I can't seem to win with them. If I didn't choose to go into a 'reasonable' major, they wouldn't be paying my college tuition"

 

" You're complaining that they're paying for your tuition?" Baekhyun asked, raising an eyebrow.

 

Junmyeon shook his head. "No, no. I'm tremendously grateful for that, but no matter what I do they don't seem like they're fully happy with me. When I told them I would be taking up business management as a major they sounded happy, but it felt like a distant kind of happiness."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"I mean-" Junmyeon continued. "-when they told me they were 'so happy' and 'proud of me' it, honestly, didn't feel like they were. It felt more like they were telling me how happy and proud they were that I made the right choice."

 

Baekhyun hummed in acknowledgment. "So you feel like they were telling you that this is what you should have chosen in the first place."

 

Junmyeon nodded. "When I told them I wanted to become a singer, they both looked at me like I was a five-year-old begging to go to the theme park. My dad said I should think more 'reasonably' and 'do something that will give me a steady income'."

 

"Well-" Baekhyun took a sip of his coke before speaking. "-he is right to some extent. Being a singer or, hell, going into any of the arts is very risky."

 

" I know that-" Junmyeon leaned back in his seat and looked up at the car's ceiling. "-but that's where my heart lies."

 

His hoobae snorted. "Ok, now you're just sounding sappy."

 

Junmyeon let out a soft chuckle. "It's true, though. I've even had dreams where I stand on this massive stage and I just sing my lungs out in front of a huge crowd and I feel...I feel alive."

 

"Well from the school talent shows I've seen you in and from what I've heard from the bathroom-"

 

Junmyeon's cheeks turned completely pink. "Y-you can hear me in there?!"

 

"As clear as a bell."

 

Junmyeon's could feel his face become warmer and warmer.

 

"But yes," Baekhyun said. "-you do have an amazing voice."

 

"Thank you." Junmyeon said as he looked out the window, smiling shyly. It was pitch black out save for the lights coming from the buildings pouring into the car. "I wish they would understand that I don't want this 'reasonable' my lifestyle. I don't want to be some business owner or entrepreneur whatever the hell my parents want me to be."

 

An audible crunch rang through the car. "Why don't cha tell them you don't want to do this?" Baekhyun said with a half-mouth full of fries.

 

" I...I don't know. I really hate seeing them upset."

 

"Oh c'me on, hyung. You can't be serious." Junmyeon turned his head to see Baekhyun stuffing more fries into his mouth. "You need to learn to take control of your life. You can't have mommy and daddy doing it for forever, you know?"

 

Before Junmyeon could answer, Baekhyun's popped telling him that someone sent him a text. He took out his phone from his pants pocket and began reading it. "Aish, that kid..." Baekhyun said in annoyance. "Sehun's wondering why we aren't back home yet and that dinner is ready. Sometimes I think he's more of a mother than you."

 

Junmyeon just scoffed and went back to looking out the window. "Tell him we'll be there soon."

 

Baekhyun typed out the message on his phone before hitting send. "I told him 'Yes, mommy. Your precious baby boy's will be home vewwy soon." He said in a child like voice.

 

Junmyeon chuckled. " I think my influnce is begining to rub off on him."

 

"Just a bit."

 

Baekhyun rolled up the rest of his food in his bag before starting up the engine.
 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

 

Phew, this took longer to write then I thought! Hope you all enjoyed it though. Originally I was just gonna have this be one huge part, but then it kept going on and on and on so I'm splitting it up into two parts. Expect to see Pt.2 up next week! Thanks so much for reading! :D