Taking chances

Just too little too late..

 

“We’re here.”

They are standing outside a butterscotch yellow one storey building – the walls painted with rainbows, unicorns, teddy bears and other things childhood dreams are made of. He can also hear the excited shouts of toddlers, swings and see-saws in the adjoining courtyard.

Once inside, a jovial looking lady in a smock comes out – her smile widens upon seeing Hyoyeon. “Hyoyeonnie, I haven’t seen you in a while. How are you, my dear?”

“I’m great Mrs. Shin, how are you?”

“Wonderful, just wonderful! And goodness I have to show you the new set up for the fairytales room. All the furniture we ordered from your store is perfect!”

“Oppa.. do you mind if I?”

“Go ahead. We’ll be fine.” He gives her a reassuring smile.

“Thanks. I’ll be quick.”

 

 

Hyukjae sits down on one of the cushy chairs watching the baby closely – he wants to prove that he can be relied upon.

 

A few minutes later, JaeMin stirs. And like babies usually do, he immediately starts to cry. Hyukjae panics checking the door for Hyoyeon – she’s nowhere in sight.

Gingerly, he reaches for the baby and cradles him. It’s not that he doesn’t have experience with infants – he was like the baby whisperer to his two nieces – but it just felt a little strange to be holding her baby.. with another man.

 

“There there.. buddy! Don’t cry.. you’re just sleepy, huh. Are you hungry too? Don’t worry, your mom will be back soon.” He does his little baby jig that involves him swaying from side to side and it does the trick – the baby lets out a delighted gurgle – and it has Hyukjae grinning too. “You like that Jae Minnie? You’re such a good boy! It must be because you have a great mommy, huh? Your mommy must love you a lot…” The baby chuckles happily and Hyukjae studies his face – he has Hyoyeon’s eyes and cute nose – it’s hard not to adore that face. “Hey, can I tell you a secret?” he looks around and drops his voice to a whisper as the baby magically hushes up watching Hyukjae with wide black orbs,  “I love your mommy too; very very much. What to do about that, JaeMinnie?”

 

 

“Sorry, that took..” Hyoyeon’s words trail off in surprise as Hyukjae holds the sleeping baby and shushes her. It’s like a Hallmark greeting card and her heart suddenly feels so full, she thinks she might cry.

“The little prince is asleep.” Mrs. Shin sidles up to Hyukjae with a beaming smile, breaking their moment, “here let me take him. Now go on you two, enjoy your day.”

Hyukjae swears he saw her wink …  'Weird! Is she hitting on me? Why else would she..?'

Hyoyeon drops a light kiss on the sleeping baby's face and then motions to him, “We’re good to go, oppa!”

 

Once again, they stand together on a stoop but it’s a little less awkward this time.. at least for Hyukjae; he’s made his mind up.

‘Forgive me father for I’m about to sin.’

 

“So.. where to next?” he grins cheekily.

Hyoyeon bites her lip. This is the moment she has trained herself for; or at least she thought she had… but she can’t ignore her heart – it’s screaming for her to seize the day.  And the sunlight is bouncing off Hyukjae’s ash brown hair making him look like some dashing romantic comedy movie star – how do you pass that up?

“Well, I am going to my store. Some of us actually have to work,” she teases back.

 

Feeling encouraged he begins to trail behind her, “Wow isn’t it my lucky day then? I can finally pick up those coaster things! Thank god. my life is completely incomplete without them!”

Her eyes narrow playfully, “Only for the coasters then!”

 

The arrive at the store after another 15 minute walk filled with easy banter – with every second, they find themselves slipping back into their older selves.

Hyukjae’s eyes grow wide in legitimate awe.

“Hyoyeonah, this is amazing.” It really is and he feels so proud of what she’s achieved. Her boutique feels like an extension of Hyoyeon herself – warm, beautiful but with a uniquely playful and quirky character at the same time.

“Tomorrow is delivery day so I usually close up to clean and organize,” she explains for the closed store, “that means it’s your lucky day. You get VIP access! Look around and let me know what you like. I’m going to be in my office.”

 

Picking up a box from one of the tables she heads towards the door at the end of the big room. Hyukjae reconsiders for a minute and then follows her.

It’s dark inside the office since Hyoyeon hasn’t had the chance to draw back the curtains yet.

Wordlessly, Hyukjae walks in, closes the door shut behind him and before Hyoyeon can even turn around, she feels his arms wrap around her slim shoulders, hugging her close.

“What.. what are you doing, oppa?” she whispers.

 

His arms tighten drawing her even closer, his chin coming to rest on her the crook of her neck “I.. I don’t know… but can I just hold you for a while?"

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

 

A/N

Hey guys! i'm so sorry for not updating in so long. I swear I thought i had posted more chapters .. this is what happens when you have too many things on your plate lol but i'm back with an update and there will be another one shortly ( am finishing it up right now)

I think many of my readers here are reading my other story - Favorite Friend - too and I feel terrible for making it all angsty specially when it's a tough day for us HyoHyuk shippers. really MBC PDs can you just jump off a bridge. One Suju member is enough!

so i am giivng you more positive HyoHyuk moments. hope you like it . AKTF :)