어떻게 하죠..?

Just too little too late..

어떻게 하죠?

(what can we do?)

 

Hyukjae finds his heart breaking all over again when he sees her reply, “Of course,” without even blinking an eye.

 

That confirms it for him.

‘What were you thinking Lee Hyukjae.. that she had some kind of immaculate conception? Of course, there’s a guy involved? And it could’ve been you! It’s all your fault, your own ing fault.’

 

“Um.. are you okay?”

He turns his attention back to her and follows her gaze to his hands. His fingers are gripping the glass of water so tightly; it appears as if he wants to crush it. He hastily places it back on the table.

 

“Look,” she speaks again (he could listen to that gorgeous sound forever), “I hate things being awkward. So can we just act like old friends meeting again? I mean.. we are still friends right?”

He nods and then his mouth starts to turn up a little at the corners, “Yes we are ..” (she remembers that look .. she misses that look) “so… you should call me ‘oppa’ like always, Hyoyeonah.”

“Fine.”

“Fine.. ? fine…?” he cups his ear and leans towards her.

Hyoyeon laughs outloud this time, “Fine oppa. Satisfied now?”

 

That’s the moment.

It happens.

They both feel it.

 

Suddenly, all the baggage from the past just drops on the ground into nothingness – leaving them both with a sense of peace and a new beginning.

They don’t say it out loud – it’s just an exchange of looks.

 

‘Let’s put the past behind us.’

 

Their orders arrive. Mr. Jung brings over complimentary biscotti and cake as well. He leaves giving a smile to Hyoyeon and a supportive pat on Hyukjae’s back.

 

“So..” she takes a sip of her caramel macchiato (he watches longingly as her pink tongue slips out to the foam) “you’re a business man now?”

“Yea, working for dad’s company. He’s set up a foreign investment branch. Nothing extraordinary, just boring business meetings and stuffy suits all the time.” As he says it, he loosens his tie and starts to his tight collar.

“Looks good on you, though.” The words slip out before she realizes it.

 

Hyukjae’s hands freeze on the button, but after a second he casually goes on with it – the sight of her blushing lightly a good enough present. (Old Immature Hyukjae would have called her out on it, teasing endlessly till she turned as red as an apple but he was going to show her that he’s  changed – even if it might not really make a difference in the end).

 

“Saves time getting dressed in the morning, I guess,” he says evenly, “what about you? What do you do?”

“I own a boutique.”

He can see the shimmer of passion in her eyes when she says that and feels happy for her. “Where is it? Is it around here?”

“Why? You want to visit?” she laughs. (We are friends. Friends joke with each other, right?)

“Maybe?” he’s laughing as well.

“I don’t quite think you’ll find something for yourself though. It’s a home and baby boutique.”

“Hey come on now.. I have an apartment that needs some..er.. cup mat thingies..”

“Coasters?”

“Yea and Sora noona has kids. Who cares if they are 4 and 6? You’re never too old for a baby’s bottle or a rattle.”

“You’re still hilarious oppa,” Hyoyeon’s wiping tears from her eyes. He’s happy he still makes her laugh.

 

 

He stays silent for a moment.. pondering.. (but he has to know), “So.. will you please tell me? Where did you go?”

His eyes beg her to answer..

 “My family moved back west. My dad had been thinking about it for a while.. and things sort of fell into place at the right time..” She tries to give a flippant shrug, not letting on how the decision had almost crushed her.

“When did you move back here?”

“A month ago.”

 

“Didn’t feel like catching up with… old friends?”

Her eyes are glued to the table, “I was just.. really busy setting up the shop and things..”

 

“Are you happy?” His sudden question forces her to meet his eyes again – startled. “Because,” he continues – eyes locked on hers – “I’m really not. I haven’t been.. not since.. ”

 

“Unnie! I think he’s awake! Can we hold him?” Those two girls suddenly pounce on them again out of nowhere but they’re right, Jae Min is starting to stir in his stroller – eyes half open, mouth starting to turn into a downward smile – oh wait, it’s a frown. He starts to cry and Hyoyeon rushes to pick him up.

 

She doesn’t have to do much to soothe him. Just holding him in her arms and cradling him close works like magic and the baby is calm, his own thumb blissfully.

Hyukjae watches her every move closely – it’s like his stare is radiating its own heat. So much so that the younger girls start giggling. “Ah no wonder unnie! You’re really lucky, you know that?”

“Why?” Hyoyeon asks while trying to get Jae Min’s thumb out of his mouth.

 

“Do you know how many women hit on Hyukjae oppa every day?”

“Not us of course,” the other one butts in.

“Yes, other women.. some have been trying for like a year but he always turns them down. We even.. thought he was gay.”

“What?” It’s Hyukjae butting in this time.

“Sorry oppa, but it’s true. You always reject their numbers but then you didn’t pay attention to SangMin oppa either – and he’s like the hottest guy ever – so we figured that you must have some really gorgeous girlfriend or something!”

“And you are unnie! So so gorgeous!”

“And your baby is also so gorgeous!”

 

“What? No no.. he’s not..”

 

“Jung In, Ye Rang, I think SangMin hyung just walked into the kitchen. Looked like he was about to take his apron off..” Hyukjae interjects.

“Chincchhhaaa? Oppa, Unnie, see you later!” with high-pitched screams the girls leave like hurricanes.

 

“Wow.. they are quite the handful.” Hyoyeon comments with a fond smile. Loud as they are the two girls have a way of bonding with people.

“They are..”

Hyukjae clears his throat, “I’m sorry.. for interrupting you and for earlier.. I mean, for giving them the wrong idea.”

“What? No.. that’s not what I was..” she trails off. (Maybe it’s better this way) She looks at her watch. Every nerve in her body is trying to hold her down but she can’t put it off anymore..

 

“I should be going now. This was.. nice.. it was nice to see you again.”

Hyukjae’s face falls. (NO! it’s too soon) He starts to stand up..

“It’s ok. Stay!” she protests but he’s already halfway to the cash register.

 

They step out together after he’s paid the bill..

“So I guess..” // “Look I..”

“You go first!” Hyoyeon smiles.

Hyukjae runs his hand through his hair in a boyish gesture, reminding her of her Hyukjae of old, “Can I.. can I walk you to your car, a taxi or wherever it is you’re going? I err… I just took the day off and I have nothing to do..”

‘Sure.”

“Really?”

“Yes, I’m going to drop off JaeMin for his playdate. It’s not too far from here.. maybe 15 minutes?”

“Great! let’s go.” He just naturally takes over the stroller pushing duties and the pair once again walk side by side.

 

Hyoyeon catches their reflection as they pass by a store window.. They look like a real family… Hyukjae would make a great father and definitely the best looking one – his side profile still took her breath away. She had wondered… no hoped that she might run into him again after moving to the city but never imagined it would be like this.. why did it feel so comfortable yet dizzying being with him? She thought she would have gotten over his effect by now.. what was she going to do?

 

“Hyoyeonah!”

Jolts of current flood her nerves when his hand wraps around her slender wrist. Her eyes widen and Hyukjae hurriedly lets go, “Sorry, you were going to walk into that bike.”

Her body is still quivering so she nods before turning away to hide her flushed cheeks. ‘What are you doing, Kim Hyoyeon?’

 

Hyukjae is also a jumble of emotions. On the one hand, he’s thrilled that he could finally touch her again but on the other, that’s just going to make it harder for him to let her go .. ‘Which he should, right? It’s the right thing to do… but what if..’ the wheels in his mind are turning rapidly, ‘what if she isn’t happy? I know I can make her.. she should have that option, right? It’s not like I’m going to force her.. just give her the choice....’