A Chance for Hope

A Chance for Hope

She sat on the edge of the rooftop of the school, wind blowing through her hair. This wasn’t a usual day at school. Today she will meet her soulmate. Correction, soulmates. She had been given three sets of times to when she will meet her chosen mates. However, she has hated those things on her wrist. They have done nothing but bring her misfortune and hate. She never really liked the system ever since it destroyed her parents relationship.

When she was young, she learned from her mother that her and her father thought that they were soulmates when they met because the timers were at zero. It wasn’t until after her mothers second pregnancy that they learned that there was a malfunction. Neither of them were each other’s match. For a while, everything was fine. They stayed together to raise their family. That is until her mother met her real soul mate. Slowly, her fathers jealousy boiled. Until when Valerie was 10 and mentioned how she liked the guy was when it exploded. He flew into a rage and changed Valerie’s life for the bad. After that, her mother got her, her twin, and brother away from their father after the divorce. They moved to Seoul where they lived with their now step father, her mothers soul mate.

Valerie eventually got a little sister and a set of identical twin brothers as her half siblings. Things were good for a while. Once she starts school, she meets a whole set of friends. Three came from the states, one from Italy. They became a tight knit group of girls through college. Another friend who she has known since high school, Justin, is also close with her.

Justin and his sister Emily have been close with the Valerious family ever since the two girls were little. Justin and Valerie were best buddies all through high school, until the start of freshman college. When they paid more attention to their timers.Justin hoped that Valerie was the one. Unfortunately once he looked at his timer it was set at 3d 18hrs 45sec. He was shocked and a bit upset. He loved Valerie since senior high, yet she turns out not to be the one.

One day he sees her wrist and is surprised and angered at what he saw. She had not one or two timers. She had three! Three timers on her wrist. He noticed that the all ran simultaneously with each other. Slowly his jealousy built. Even though he had his own soul mate, he really wanted Valerie. He started his own investigation into who are her soul mates. He would glance around at everyone’s wrist in class and outside during lunch. Then one day he overhears a conversation between some guys.

He knows of them as part of the popular group of boys that are in the music program. He eavesdrops on their private chat. Once he listens to the full conversation he takes a glance at their wrists. From what he had heard, they seem to be the ones. One look confirms his suspicions. Right there on the brown haired ones wrist was three timers. He knows that the other two have the same. He can also see that two of the timers are at zero. Justin leaves their area without notice, except from the maknae of the group.

Valerie was walking to class when she is confronted by a very angry Justin. Confused to why he is so upset she tries to calm him down. He gets volatile and proceeds to call her nasty names and pushes her away. Shocked, she is unable to go after him. Some of her friends come to her aid and asks if she was all right. She tells them that she will be and not to worry. That it will probably be remedied soon…It doesn’t.

Day after day, week after week his hatred continues. It drains Valerie to the point of exhaustion, mental trauma and physical when he pushed her in some lockers hard. She dealt with it for a while. Hiding it from her friends, though they were aware. Making them very concerned for her well being. It takes the youngest of the group of boys to shine a light on them. He tells them what was going on and what may have started Justin’s rage. Seungri and her friends get with Valerie’s mates and form a plan on how to stop this and get Valerie back to normal.

The eldest of her friends and third oldest girl were steaming with rage. Em and Ri come up with a scheme to get back at Justin. Em suggests to gut the guy, but Seungri had another idea. Being the manipulative person he is, Seungri finds out who Justin’s soul mate is and sets her up to see the kind of person she will be with. She was unaware of what Justin has done. He gets her to be near by to hear Seungri casually talk to Justin.

He gets to talking about Valerie while her mates head to the rooftop where she was last seen going to. Once her name is mentioned, Justin goes off in a tangent and talks trash. He stops when he sees Seungri smirking. Ri points to Justin’s left and there was his mate standing there with a look of shock and disgust on her face. He pales and runs after her apologizing. Em and the girls join Ri and tell him nice job. Em mutters that he still should have been castrated.

On the rooftop. Valerie waits for her timer to countdown. She has a plan of her own… She sits there on the edge with tear tracks on her face and red eyes. She waits for the timer to get to zero. Once it does, well…She waits unaware that the boys know of her plan by her maknae, who became aware of her plan by sneaking a peak at her journal. She would do anything to get her unnie back to her normal, kind, happy, big sister self she misses.

She immediately told them what was going on after the planning with Seungri. Distraught they all at once ask where she would be and Mei had to raise her hands to get them to stop. She quickly told them that the roof is Valerie’s place to go for peace mostly. Mei warned them to be careful and aware of what the timer also means to all of them if they don’t stop her. They rush to the roof while the tallest, Seunghyun, keeps time.

10 seconds left, she reads. 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2….it stops.

She looks at it confused. She looks around the roof and sees no one. She didn’t hear the door open, no footsteps, nothing. She stares at her timers then at the sky in shock. Suddenly she feels two pairs of arms wrap around her waist. One pair around her shoulders.She had been distracted enough for the boys to grab her before she could do anything. They heeded the maknae’s warning.

They pulled her from the ledge and set her down on the ground. She recovers from her shock and struggles out of the hold. One of the boys yells for her to stop and shoves his wrist in her face. She stops and looks at it. With wide eyes, she that he has three timers. Two at zero, one stopped at two seconds. The other two do the same and they have the same thing. She looks at her own, fresh tears start to form in her eyes. The boys tell everything that has happened.

They all turn to the door when it is forcefully pushed open by her friends and the other two members. Once they see their friend is all right, Mei, Soul, Em, and Lainie rush to Valerie and envelope her into a tearful hug. Em berates her, Mei asks why, Soul tells her she was stupid, and Lainie tells her everything is going to be okay. Once the hug is over, her mates take over and introduce themselves: Dong Youngbae, Kang Daesung, and Choi Seunghyun. Each give her a kiss on the temple which she doesn’t reject. She blushes a bit and holds their hands. She asks if it will ever end up like their parents relationship and they all say no, never, no way. They wouldn’t let that happen. Em proceeds to tell Valerie that the reason why that happened to her parents was because their bond was by mistake and rushing to get together without really looking at their timers.

As Valerie had found out from her mother, her timer glitched out to look like zeros after she landed hard on her arms after falling from some stairs at her school. That was when she met Valerie’s father when he came to help her. While he was just blinded by her beauty to notice his. Valerie let all the information in and realized her mistake. She apologized to everyone and asked what happened with Justin. Seungri boasted about what happened which made Valerie giggle for the first time in a while. Her mates all smiled and Youngbae for it. She blushed while everyone laughed. She looked at her timer closely and smiled. Clear as day, it put her fear to rest. 0d 0hrs 0sec.

The end.