Chapter Fourteen

Bad Grades: A Blasian Romance Novel
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

    There was a chill in the air as they strolled down Central Boulevard and, for what had to be the third time that night, Claire was thankful for the warmth of Daniel’s hand intertwined with her own. She risked a glance up at him, only to find that he was already staring back, a smile tugging at his lips.

    “What?” he asked and she shook her head, returning her gaze to the busy street ahead of them. Downtown Chesterfield was just as lively and crowded as ever, filled with last minute shoppers filtering in and out of the upscale boutiques that lined either side of the street. Eager partygoers shuffled from bar to bar, leaning drunkenly on their friends for support, avoiding the stares of children and disapproving parents as families picked up their meals for the night. Despite the noise, what she loved the absolute most were the couples. They were everywhere, snuggled against each other as they passed them on the sidewalk. It was beautiful out, despite the bite of the cold, and it made her feel alive. The lingering Christmas spirit was evident in the old decorations of every store or cafe they passed; strings of crystalline lights twinkling dimly, forgotten by store owners long after the holiday season had ended. Everything about the night screamed romance, and it gave her a sense of easiness that had her leaning into Daniel and smiling like a Cheshire cat. He chuckled at her. “Seriously, what is it?”

    “Honestly? It’s you,” she said. He arched his brows down at her as they skirted a man handing out little green flyers for some event or another. He pulled his hand out of hers and slung his arm around her shoulders, pulling her closer against his side. 

    “Me? What did I do now?”

    “Only someone like you could put me in this kind of mood. Where I’m giddy to the point of being dizzy. Where my stomach is in knots and I feel like I’m flying,” she paused to look up at him, “but I’m not afraid to fall.” 

    “I believe that mood is called happiness, Claire,” he said, unable to hide his smile. She was happy. Just knowing that simple fact made him feel triumphant. The woman he loved was happy, safe, and healthy. It made pride and joy swell inside of him until he thought he would die from the sudden overload of oxytocin in his brain. 

    “Happiness? Yeah, I guess you could say that. Although, it just feels like something…more, you know?” she asked. 

    “You mean, like love?” It was bold, but the words slipped past his lips before he could stop them. And it crashed his emotional high. Doubts he’d never had before assaulted him. What if she wasn’t ready for that step? It was still a new relationship, it was perfectly plausible that they weren’t on the same page. What if she flat out rejected him? What if–?

    “That could be it,” she responded shyly, avoiding his gaze. Daniel stared down at her, his eyes widening. He drew up short, pulling her to a stop in the center of the sidewalk. Visibly confused, she arche

Please log in to read the full chapter