Chapter Eleven

Bad Grades: A Blasian Romance Novel
Please log in to read the full chapter

    In Ho placed his phone back on the table, looking up at his brother who sat across from him. Some would argue that they looked alike, but he’d always held out that he was the more attractive sibling, despite In Sang’s almost ageless appearance and the big eyes he inherited from their mother. While, he was definitely the smarter brother, there was no denying that there was something about the kid that made him want to protect him, no matter how much they aged. Having lost their parents at an early age, it had always been his job to provide for the family, to make sure everything went smoothly and everyone was taken care of. Even though it was a position he’d taken on early in life, he never would have guessed that at fifty he would still be cleaning up his little brothers messes.

    “Your son is on his way. I suppose it should take him roughly twenty minutes to get here, if he still speeds like you do. Do you want me to hide you now, or later?” he asked, watching the man play idly with an unopened bottle of Perrier. 

    “I’ll be damned if I hide from my own child,” he snapped, but the crease in his brow told a different story. It had been a very long time since his brother had last laid eyes on his temperamental nephew and he was no doubt worried about their reunion. In Sang didn’t know Daniel as well as he did, but even then he had to have at least some inkling of how strong the boy had become. He was a fighter, a survivor for the mere fact that he had to be. And he wasn’t going to just accept what he had to say. Truthfully, they were just alike, even if neither refused to admit it. Daniel never listened. He was uncontrollable, independent, and headstrong, entirely too focused on doing things on his own when he should be asking for help. And In Sang had a superiority complex fostered by years of his elder brother making sure he had exactly what he wanted, when he wanted it. They were both spoiled brats and, had he not been in the room when the child was born, he would have sworn they were clones.

    “Well then, since you have everything figured out, what are you going to do when he gets here?”

    “I’m going to demand that he come back to Korea with me. I’ll force him onto the plane if I have to,” he said. In Ho couldn’t resist the urge to laugh. He pulled a cigar from a case in his coat pocket, clipping it and lighting it as his brother frowned. “And just what the hell is so funny?”

    “The fact that you think that’s going to work is hilarious. I can tell you exactly how that scenario will play out,” he said, pausing to take a long drag. “He’s going to flip this table, call you some American expletive that’ll have you red up to your ears and he’ll be out of this building before you’re even finished sputtering.”

    “He sounds like a little bastard. You were supposed to raise him right. Or has this godforsaken country gotten to you, too?”

    “I did my best to raise him. But, he is your son, In Sang. There was only so much I could do,” he said. His brother sneered, waving cigar smoke out of his face. It was obvious he wanted to cause a scene but one look at the bustling airport around them had him shutting up. They currently sat in one of the exclusive lounge areas, overlooking the runway where a private jet waited to be refueled. It was a public place, just like Daniel liked it, with just enough privacy to keep them from being kicked out if things got…physical. And, knowing Daniel, there was always a chance it would. 

    “Since you know him so well, what do you suggest?” 

    “I wish I knew. Thirteen years with that boy and I still don’t know how to handle him. He’s unpredictable at best and completely irrational at his worst,” he replied. In Sang heaved a sigh, tugging at the lapels of his expensive suit jacket. He was worried, and he should be. But something told him his worry was more so rooted in finally seeing his son again after so many years than in what the upstart would do to him once he got there. In Ho took another drag of his cigar, silently contemplating his brothers defensive body language and sullen shoulders. Admittedly, he felt bad for them both. He couldn’t imagine the stress of their situation. But it was Daniel who’d gotten the short end of the stick by far. 

    “I just want my son to be safe, is that too much to ask?” In Sang grunted through gnashed teeth. His nails scraped the table as he balled his fists against the imitation wood. 

    “He’ll be safe. We’ll make sure of that, just as we always have. What’s probably more important right now is that you actually get to know your son. Just in case–”

    “Just in case, what?” he cut him off, giving him a dark glare. In Ho ignored his tone. 

    “Just in case history repeats itself,” he said, and the man refused to meet his eye. “He’s asking about In Jung again.” That got his attention, but he didn’t move to acknowledge it. What a tragedy that even he had resigned himself to simply pretending his first born didn’t exist. “We can’t keep ignoring it.”

    “We’ll do what we have to in order to keep Daniel safe. He’s my priority now,” he growled. “Only God knows where In Jung is. He’s beyond our reach. What more can we do for him when Daniel is right here in front of us and in danger?” 

    “For starters we could stop pretending the boy is dead,” In Ho spat, snuffing his cigar out in an ashtray. “He knows. He remembers him. And the more we pretend he never existed the more he’ll be tempted to look for him. And then what will we do?”

    “Whatever we have to!” he shouted, slamming his fist on the table hard enough to send the bottle of Perrier rolling to the floor. A lounge attendant looked in their direction but didn’t make a move towards them. In Ho leaned towards his brother and growled just low enough for him to hear.

Please log in to read the full chapter