Chapter Twelve

Bad Grades: A Blasian Romance Novel
Please log in to read the full chapter

Daniel hurried down a side street, not entirely sure where his legs where taking him but desperately needing to put distance between himself and his family. He’d left his car behind, even when the sky opened up and the rain came, leaving him drenched and even more hopeless than before. Something in the back of his mind told him to run, and he did without a second thought. Now he wandered aimlessly, moving through the streets until he found himself in a familiar neighborhood. Daniel stared up at her little bungalow, his hands in his pockets as he contemplated ringing the doorbell. The lights where on inside, indicating that she was at home. By right, nothing should have stopped him from going to her. 

    “I couldn’t help but notice the woman in the photos wasn’t the same you took home the other night. I’m not going to tell your father, Daniel. I just want the chance to talk to you. So that we can come to terms about all of this. Your safety is still our priority.” The text message still flashed across his psyche long after he’d turned his phone off. His uncle wasn’t a stupid man by any means. He knew his father had the wrong girl, and, even if he didn’t know her name, that made Claire a target. It happened every time. By now he should have been used to it. The very moment he found something of his own, something that made him happy, his family swooped in to ruin it. And it hurt. Why did he even try anymore? Why did he push their relationship, knowing that eventually it would get to this point? His chest felt like it would collapse under the weight of his anger, of his fear and depression. She was all he wanted. And now…Now he couldn’t have her. Not if he wanted her to be safe. 

    “What on earth are you doing here?” He started at the sound of her voice, turning to find her dressed in a yellow raincoat and staring up at him. At her side was a tiny, shivering Chihuahua on a little pink leash. 

    “I didn’t know you had a dog,” he said and she blinked at him before frowning.

    “I don’t. Don’t change the subject.” She looked him over, her frown shifting into concern. “You’re soaking wet. Did you walk here? It’s pouring out!”

    “Then who does the dog belong to?”

    “Don’t change the subject!” she growled, taking his hand and dragging him up to her door. He watched in amusement as she struggled with her keys while grumbling under her breath. “I can’t believe you. What is with you and the weather, huh? Do you just refuse to check the news or are you secretly suicidal? Get in there and dry off,” she ordered once she got the door open, only to shove him over the threshold when he refused to move. “I’m going to take my neighbors their noisemaker back. I’m going to kill you if you catch a cold. That’s all you need, another excuse not to come to class!”

    “Yes ma’am,” he said under his breath but she was already stomping down the stairs, dragging the poor dog behind her. Daniel smirked to himself. Who knew she cared so much? Just as it had been before, her home was warm and inviting. A little more organized than the last time, she’d unpacked more of her boxes and there were little trinkets and knickknacks everywhere, each of them reminding him of her. He found himself wandering over to a shelf, his fingers tracing the fame of what had to have been a picture of her grandparents. Between them, beaming up at the camera, her hair an unruly mess, was Claire herself. She couldn’t have been more than thirteen, and just as adorable as she was now. It made him wonder what it would have been like, knowing her at that age. Surrounded by the warmth, love and support her family gave freely and abundantly. He hated to admit it but, it also made him…jealous. What would his life would have been like? With a family that loved him? That saw him as nothing more than a son, not someone they had to protect. All he’d ever wanted was a normal home. A chance at life that didn’t involve maniacs that wanted to kill him or a father with a hidden agenda. He wanted parents that loved him. To grow old with a woman he couldn’t live without. And yet, here he was, running away. Again. Just as he turned to leave, fully prepared to walk out of her life forever, she tripped over her own feet and stumbled into the building. Claire was in the middle of peeling off her rain-gear when he made his way over to her, taking her in his arms and crushing her against his chest. 

    “Daniel?” she asked, surprised by the sudden contact. He struggled against his emotions as he held her tighter, the rapid thud of her heart beating in time with his like a cool balm, tempering the fever that started between his temples.

    “Jesus, you must think I’m insane. I don’t know why I can’t control myself when I’m around you. I’m so sorry,” he whispered, mentally berating himself for his neuroticism. How could he have been so stupid? To even consider leaving her, now, after all he’d gone through to win her trust and favor? If he walked out on her she would never forgive him. He’d never see her again, and he had no doubt he would spend every single day of the rest of his life thinking about her and what they could have had together. She’d be heartbroken and vulnerable, susceptible to any moron who swooped in to claim her. Not to mention she’d be his uncles prime target and he’d sooner die than let her fall into his hands.

    “I don’t think you’re insane, Daniel,” she said, her tone unsure. What could have happened to make him so upset? Perhaps she wasn’t the smartest or even the most perceptive person in the world, but some foreign part of her sensed that something had gone horribly wrong. Always calm, cheerful, and mischievous to the point that she wanted to punch him, Daniel Kang didn’t do sad or melancholy. But the pain she felt from him in that moment was intense. Her arms encircled his waist, holding him tight against her as he drew a haggard breath, obviously trying to compose himself. “What happened?” She pulled away to look up at him. He just stared back, surveying her face with a guarded look she couldn’t read. So he wasn’t ready to talk about it. She could understand that. “On second thought, put a pin in it. I’ll grab you something to change into and then you can tell me all about it.” 

    “I’m fine,” he muttered but she was already bustling off towards what he assumed was her bedroom. She returned after several short seconds with a t-shirt and a large towel. 

    “This thing is probably going to swallow you whole, but it’ll keep you from catching a cold. And you can dry your hair with this,” she said, extending them to him. Daniel continued to stare at her, even after he accepted the items, breaking eye contact just long enough to turn and peel off his shirt and jacket. He could feel her eyes on his back as he changed, slipping her shirt over his head and instantly chuckling at Hello Kitty and her friends dancing across the front. It was such an unexpected sight. Usually dressed in baggy sweaters and flowing skirts in dull colors, it was strange to even think she owned something so colorful. So…playful. 

Please log in to read the full chapter