Chapter Ten

Bad Grades: A Blasian Romance Novel
Please log in to read the full chapter

    Not even an hour had passed and yet everything seemed…slow. Lethargic. After she was calm enough to think clearly she’d offered to grab them coffee from the cafeteria but, when she returned to her office, he was gone. Panic instantly rose within her. Had he just been playing her? Was he currently on his way to report her? Every fear she’d ever known jumped to the surface and she couldn’t help but feel angry and hurt all at the same time. Dumping the coffee into a trash bin she collapsed into her desk chair. Her body felt so heavy, so leaden and weighed down with emotions she didn’t even want to understand. By now it was painfully obvious that she felt…something for Daniel. Whether it was love or lust, she couldn’t say. But it was there. Even then, as she sat heartbroken and afraid, she realized that she was worried about him. But why? In the beginning, she couldn’t stand to be around him. Then he forced himself into her life and after only a few, short, excruciating days, the mere thought of living without him brought her pain. But she couldn’t just throw her life away. Not now. Not now that she was so close and everything she’d ever dreamed of lay right around the corner. Claire felt her tears return, her hands tugging at her hair as she mentally berated herself for crying. What was the use in shedding tears? Daniel was hers now, right? Wasn’t that what she’d secretly wanted? What would crying do now to fix the tailspin that had consumed her life? “Professor Lanh?” Her head shot up as she scrubbed at her face, trying to hide the evidence of her pain as Professor Cole rapped on the door and let herself in. “You okay, California?” 

    “Oh, yes, I’m perfectly fine,” she chuckled nervously, struggling to tidy her desk but only further making a mess of things. Who was she kidding? She was a complete emotional wreck. And it was all because of some stupid student who fed her, who put up with her insecurities without making her feel like a total loon. For a twenty-three year old kid who looked at her and didn’t see a boring professor, but a woman who he actually enjoyed spending time with. A woman who’s presence he’d compared to breathing. Barbra didn’t look as if she believed her. And she didn’t know if she believed herself, either.

    “You sure, sug? You sound like you’ve got a cicada in your throat. Dean Hughes isn’t getting to you, is he?”

    “A little,” she answered. Honestly, with all the crap going on with Daniel, she’d rarely even thought about that man who for sure wanted her fired. What would she do if he ever found out? In the heat of the moment, with his hands on her hips and his lips on hers, she’d neglected to truly think about the repercussions of their actions. Sure, she’d be fired which would be the end of her world, but due to the reputation of the school, they would probably do everything in their power to keep her from ever seeing Daniel again, too. She just wished she knew which would hurt worse. “I still haven’t managed to get caught up. And it’s almost been two weeks.”

    “Not even with Daniel helping you?” She moved around her desk, laying a comforting hand on her shoulder. “Oh hun, I didn’t expect things to be settled this soon. When I sent him to you I knew even he wouldn’t be a miracle worker. These things take time but I have no doubt Daniel will help you through it,” she paused, worrying her bottom lip as she stared down at her. “I know he’s intense but, he’s not giving you any trouble, is he?”

    “Why would he give me any trouble?” Claire asked, unable to keep the uneasiness out of her voice. She was startled into a near panic. Did she know? Did she even suspect that there was something going on between them? Barbara was a nice woman and all but she highly doubted she would keep their terrible secret at the risk of losing her job. The woman chuckled oddly. 

    “Oh it’s nothing. I just know he can be a little headstrong and willful when he wants to be. Good kid, real dutiful just like I said, but I’ve seen him drive teachers and staff to the brink of madness with his mind games. Lord knows he’s too smart for his own good,” she said, leaning against the desk as she pointed a thumb over her shoulder. “I saw him headed out of here as I walked in. You two taking a break? Looks like you need it a lot more than he does,” she said. Claire absently rubbed as she released the breath she was holding. So, he hadn’t run out on her. He was so intelligent he probably saw Professor Cole and got the hell out of dodge before she could ask questions. Because they were having an affair. Because, deep down, he knew what they were doing was wrong. But that still begged the question; why did he leave in the first place?

    “Yes, we’re taking a break,” she said, unable to think of a more plausible lie.

    “What you need is rest, hun. Or a new man in your life,” she winked, nudging her ribs with her elbow. Claire fought the urge to blush and sputter. “I hate to say it but you’re a right mess. Why don’t you head home for the day? Go curl up with a hot cup of tea, watch the Notebook–I’ll cover your classes for you.”     “What?” she choked. “I can’t ask you to do that. I have so much work to do here I couldn’t even dream of taking a day off,” she said. Cole brushed off her concern with a wave of a manicured hand.

    “Nonsense. If you’re this frazzled you obviously need a little time to collect yourself. Your work will be here for you tomorrow. Go on up to the main building and clock out. I can handle things from here,” she said. Claire shook her head in protest but she didn’t look as if she’d take no for an answer. Before she knew it she was headed towards the St. Gabriel building that housed the business office, most of the administrative campus staff and one of the largest music halls in the state. It felt so odd to be out of her classroom so early in the day, but the more she tried to protest, the more Professor Cole pushed. How could she keep saying no when she was offering her an opportunity that wasn’t likely to come around again anytime soon? It wasn’t as if she could say she didn’t need the break, it was rather obvious that her life had spiraled out of control, she just really didn’t want to be left alone with her own thoughts. Claire had honestly been looking forward to class, being able to lose herself in stories of her favorite philosophers and in the smiles and even scowls of her students. Perhaps, she wondered, that was why she’d always been attached to teaching? It was an escape into the lives of her students, into the lessons she taught and lovingly planned and the ancient minds who’s brilliance formed the very foundation of the world in which they lived. Or, it was just as likely that she was overthinking things. Again. 

    It didn’t take her long to punch out and be met with the stares of administrative secretaries and late enrolling students who all probably thought she was insane for leaving before lunch. In all honesty she just wanted to haul out of there before Dean Hughes showed up and tore her a new one. Thinking it better to take the back way out and double back to her car, she opened a side door and headed down the stairs to the lower level. She was mere feet from

Please log in to read the full chapter