Three

The Return of the B*tch

Hye Rin yawns and glances at the clock. Finally, it is 6:00 p.m. Time for her to go home. She packs her things up and writes a note to her boss, stopping momentarily in the process. She bites her lip and looks to where her boss has stay hidden the entire day.

She is not really a nosy person. She doesn't care about a stranger's bad day but she feels weird seeing Baekhyun all moody and angry. Based on what people say, he is known as a happy person, so seeing him like that makes Hye Rin a bit unsettled. She doesn't know why but she just doesn't like the scowl and the angry look on his face.

She uncaps the pen and lets her words flow on the paper. It is short, but she hopes that her boss will feel a bit better after seeing her note. She bites her lip while putting the note on the fridge. Hye Rin thinks that it is unnesessary for her to leave a note, but in the end, she just sighs and lets it go. She just hopes that if Baekhyun reads it, he wouldn't bring it up if she comes here again.

I'm going to go home now, sir. I hope whatever that's happening to you will be solved the next day.

Hye Rin

She opens the door and leaves the house. Behind her, the door locks automatically with a click. She walks to the lift, and when she arrives at the ground floor, she nods and waves goodbye to the security guard who is standing still beside the glass door. He smiles and waves back to her.

The walk to the bus stop from Baekhyun's house is a bit far away since his house is in a secluded area. Hye Rin just walks with ease, smiling at people who smile at her and greeting kids who walk pass her with their parents.

Finally, she sees a bus stop at the end of the road and walks briskly to it. There is no one at the bus stop and the sky is slowly turning into a bit blue. Hye Rin settles down and sighs in relief. She waits patiently, when suddenly her phone rings. She scrambles for her phone and quickly slides the green button.

"Hello, Junghwa!" She exclaims excitedly, causing the person on the other line to laugh. She bites her lip and plays with the end of her T-shirt.

"Yah, Hye Rin," the voice trails. "How's work?"

Hye Rin can't help but rolls her eyes.

"That curious? Can't wait till I get home, huh?" she says and smirks. The other person only scoffs at her tone.

"Helloooo, unlike you, I have night shifts okay." She scoffs again and after a moment she laughs. Hye Rin just smiles. Her friend who is also her roommate, works as a singer in one of the popular pubs in Seoul. The first time they met, Junghwa was in need of new room and Hye Rin was short of money. She had advertised one room in her terrace house, and Junghwa had stumbled upon the advestisement. Needless to say, Junghwa is now her close friend.

They talk for a while, until suddenly Hye Rin remembers something. She bites her lip. There are questions she wants to ask Junghwa, but she doesn't know why she is feeling anxious all of a sudden.

"Junghwa..." she starts. "How's mom?" She asks hesitantly. There's silence which caused Hye Rin to glance around nervously.

"She's fine." Junghwa finally says. "Though there have been some serious coughing. It was ugly," she elaborates, making Hye Rin sighs heavily. She knew instantly that her mom, once again, has refused to eat her medicine.

"Junghwa, who is it?" There is another voice that sounds far away. Before Junghwa can reply, Hye Rin excitedly says, "Give her the phone. I want to talk to her."

There is a rustle, followed by, "Hye Rin wants to talk."

Hye Rin's mom coughs a bit before taking the phone and hoarsely says, "Hye Rin,"

"Yes?" She says, feeling giddy all of a sudden. It's weird, because she sees her mom everyday after work. Yet, she misses her more than anyone can tell. "What is it, mom?" She continues.

Mrs. Jung coughs a bit, before clearing and responding. "Hye Rin, how's work?"

Hye Rin bites her lip before saying, "All is good, mom. My boss is a nice person, and his house is quite nice too."

She tries to stay clear of the subject of her boss being the top star that everyone adores so much. She has sworn to Kyungsoo that she will shut and won't tell the details of her work, even to her mom.

"He?" Her mom asks incredulously, making Hye Rin chuckle.

"It's okay, mom. He's not at home during the time I'm at his house," she says reasurringly, though her heart aches when she lies effortlessly to her mom. She bites her lip, and her eyes caught the sight of a bus coming on her way. She stands up.

"Mom, I will tell the details later, when I get home," she says when the bus stops in front of her. She pays for the ticket and makes her way to an empty seat at the back.

She hears her mom sigh. "Fine, but don't be out for too long, okay? It's getting dark," her mom advises, and Hye Rin just hums before ending the call. She slumps down on the seat and looks out of the window.

The night view of Seoul always fascinates her, especially when she passes the Han River. She stares at it, amazed. But at the same time, her heart aches when she looks at the place. Once upon a time, she likes to go to this place. The place used to be awesome and the night view...was just splendid. Hye Rin really adores the night view here at Han River.

But one day, she stopped.

She stopped going there. She stopped going there during nightfall. She stopped going there with certain someone. Basically, she just stopped.

Hye Rin closes her eyes slowly. The past that she has tried to surpress suddenly came into her mind and she takes a deep breath, hoping that it could stop her tears from flowing.

It's okay, Hye Rin, she coaxes herself. This is for the better.

Everything about him is different today. Hee Yeon feels odd, but at the same time, she can't say that she wasn't happy.

After having lunch with her fiancee, Hee Yeon thought that she would just go back to her boutique and Chanyeol would make his way towards his house. But to her surprise, Chanyeol had asked her to go shopping with him. It takes her a few minutes to process what Chanyeol is asking her. Hee Yeon is not a big fan of shopping - unless it has something to do with her business - but she thought that this is a great oppurtunity to be close with him after being separated for almost 2 years, so she agreed. And Chanyeol enthusiastically drove them towards the shopping mall.

(It's not like they never go on dates before, when Chanyeol was in Japan and he was really busy at that time, and Hee Yeon had to take a flight every once a month just so they can meet and talked and just date each other.)

But in the end, they just spend their time at the park not far away from the shopping mall. Chanyeol knows that Hee Yeon isn't going to buy anything even if he offers to pay, so he decided that they should just go to the park and talk, like a usual couple would do.

They really look like a usual couple, but in reality, their relationship is based on lies. But today, he thought and decided, he is going to make them real. Even if Hee Yeon doesn't want to (he doubt it).

Hee Yeon can't be out too long with him since she still has business to attend to, so Chanyeol drives her towards her boutique. It is silent in the car, but not the awkward one. Hee Yeon unclasps her seat belt and quickly slides out from the car. She turns around and waves her hand, and notices that her fiance seems to hesitate about something. She looks expectantly at him, waiting for him to settle any unsolved things with her. But in the end, he just shakes his head lightly and waves back, causing Hee Yeon to stare at the retreating car curiously. She decides to just put it aside and focus on her business, which is her boutique.

When she steps on the boutique, all the thoughts about Chanyeol are pushed aside once she enters her office. October is a busy week for a fashion designers like her; all the actresses and singers are choosing their own favorite fashion designer in hopes that they can make suits and dresses for them. And as of now, Hee Yeon has at least 6 dresses for different singers and actresses that she has yet to finish.

Morning turns to evening, and evening turns to night. And now, the clock strucks 10:30 p.m., but Hee Yeon is still in the office. All of her workers has gone home, even Taeyeon who usually waits for her. Apparently, her best friend has dinner with her family and she can't miss it. Hee Yeon, being a good friend, decides to let her off early. Taeyeon had apologized to her but she just brushes it off. She doesn't mind though. Besides, she can start fixing her sketches before she goes home alone.

Hee Yeon is busy giving some colors on one of her sketchings when suddenly her phone rings. She glances at it, a bit annoyed that the calmness she felt before was ripped away by the ringing. She slams down her color pencil before grabbing her phone. Without even looking at the caller ID, she slides the navigation and puts her phone on her ear.

"What?" She barks, and then there is a laugh on the other line.

"No chill?" Baekhyun chuckles, making Hee Yeon roll her eyes. She picks up the pencil color and starts coloring again.

"What do you want, Hyun?" She mutters, her eyes focused on the sketch in front of her. There is a silence for a moment, follow by a hum. Hee Yeon stops coloring and stares at the space, waiting for the singer and a part-time actor to speak.

"Nothing. I'm just bored," he says casually. "Okay, I lied. Actually, I have a question for you," he adds later, and Hee Yeon raises her brows.

"Regarding?" Hee Yeon trails, a bit annoyed that Baekhyun is taking his time when she is currently busy right now.

"Regarding Kyungsoo," he answers. "Did he or did he not see you today?" He continues.

"Yes, he saw me today. Before lunch," she answers quickly. There's a hum follows by a sigh.

"Did he or did he not book a suit from you?" He continues, and at that, Hee Yeon can't help but laugh.

"Yeah, he did that," she answers back, trying to surpress a giggle when she hears Baekhyun's groaning. Knowing her friend, he most probably is plotting ways to murder his manager, and she knows that she have to stop him.

"Baekhyun, don't be mad," she says after recovering from her laughter. She hears Baekhyun groan again, and she just shakes her head. "That guy is probably worried for you. The award is just a week away. I probably act the same way like he did if I knew the suit that the company book for you got ruined," she says, trying to calm her best friend.

He is quiet for a while, until Hee Yeon caught he's muttering "Maybe you'll be worse than Kyungsoo,". Her eyes twitches at that.

"By the way," Baekhyun quickly changes to other topic. "Heard that your suit got ruined too. Mind telling me the details?" He says. Hee Yeon can't help but roll her eyes at that. She is still bitter at the fact that the suit she makes for a singer just got ruined. Luckily, the singer forgave her and asked her to just send it to the laundry shop (although she couldn't say the same about the manager).

"Let's not talk about it," she finally says, deciding it's the best thing to do. Who knows, Baekhyun might be making fun of her, and she doesn't like it.

"Well, if you say so," Baekhyun sniggers. Hee Yeon decides to just ignore him and continues her work. She starts coloring carefully again, worried that she would color out of the line. Pencil color is hard to erase, and Hee Yeon just wants everything to be perfect.

"Where are you now, actually?" Baekhyun asks. 

Without giving much thought, she answers, "Still at the boutique."

"Still at the boutique?" He repeats her answer, except his tone sounded incredulous. Hee Yeon rolls her eyes and huffs.

"Well, unlike you, I have things to do," she makes a remark. There is static on the other line for a while, and Hee Yeon looks at her phone weirdly.

"Baekhyun," she calls. "What's wrong?" She asks, a bit worried that something might happen to her friend.

"I'm going to change my clothes," Baekhyun answers after a moment. "And pick you up. You better lock your boutique and be in front of it when I arrive,"

Hee Yeon furrows her brows at Baekhyun's orders. "No need. I have my car."

"So what? Leave it at there. I'm going to pick you up," he insists. Hee Yeon scowls at the phone ad opens . Before she can start, Baekhyun already cut her off. "I'm ready. See you soon!"

The line is cut. Hee Yeon's eyes widen and her scowl hardens at her phone. She wants to ignore his orders but stops herself. She knows better than to not follow what he says. Baekhyun is the type of person who is hard-headed whenever he has decided on something. With a heavy heart, she starts packing up her things and puts her sketches in one of the files. After she is done organizing her office a bit, she walks to the outside of the boutique and locks the door.

She waits for Baekhyun for about half an hour before she hears a roaring of engine not far away from her. The sports car stops in front of her, and the window glass slides open to reveal Baekhyun smiling cheekily at her. Hee Yeon glares at him with crossed arms, making the guy pout.

"I'm sorry. I didn't expect that there will be an accident on the way here," he apologizes, but Hee Yeon still not budging. Baekhyun sighs and opens the door for her. "Come in," he says, and Hee Yeon rolls her eyes for umptenth time before finally making a move

Hee Yeon slides in the car, still refusing to turn to Baekhyun. He doesn't say anything. He just simply scoots closer to her and helps her put on the seatbelt. She turns to stare at him, at the way his new haircut frames his face, at the way the black jacket and denim jeans fits his style, at the way his eyes look at her, and also at the way he cares for her.

She knows she can't stay mad at him for a long time, and she sighs when she realizes that her anger starts to fade away once Baekhyun finished clasping the seatbelt. He leans back on his seat, ready to make a turn and drive when he hears Hee Yeon says something.

"You're forgiven."

Baekhyun turns to her, trying his best not to smile. He throws her a questioning look, making Hee Yeon huff. She crosses her arms and looks over to the window, ignoring Baekhyun's chortle.

The city is still alive even though it's nearly midnight. Hee Yeon yawns, knowing that she has literally force herself to overwork. She adjusts herself, too lazy to adjuss the seat and lean her head sideways. Baekhyun who sees this, glances at her.

"Sleepy?" He murmurs, and Hee Yeon just replies with a nod. He is quiet after that. He glances at her again, trying to form words in his mind. He wants to ask questions about her date with Chanyeol. Usually, he have no problem asking these kind of questions, but today, all of a sudden, he is nervous. He knows why he feels like that, and he kind of hates it.

"How's your lunch date?" Baekhyun asks finally. Hee Yeon who is just closing her eyes opens one eye and trails to Baekhyun. His gaze is on the road, but then he takes a glance at her. She closes her eye back, adjusting herself again and mumbling, "It was fine."

"Fine?" He says, in a tone of disbelief. Hee Yeon frowns a bit, but she still doesn't take a look at him.

"Yeah. Just fine," she repeats.

But then, she remembers Chanyeol's 'proposition', and her eyes slowly opens. The need to take a nap suddenly flows away, and now her mind is wandering back to their date. Where Chanyeol asked her things that he probably never cared before. Where Chanyeol had held onto her hand the entire time when they walked around the park. Where Chanyeol had looked at her like she meant everything to him. Where Chanyeol had said a sentence that Hee Yeon never thought that he would say.

"Let's be real,"

Hee Yeon stares blankly at the view, her insides feel like they might burst out. She tilts her head and simpers, thinking that Chanyeol probably just want to play with her again.

Almost an hour later, he arrives at her house. The bungalow stands tall in its place, and has a homely feeling about it. Maybe it was because of her mother's garden which added the homely feel. Otherwise, for him, it is just a house that Hee Yeon currently walks, sleeps, eats, watches television and so on.

She unclaps the seatbelt and turns to Baekhyun. He also looks at her and smiles. Hee Yeon returns the smile before leaning herself on him to kiss his cheek. "Good night," she wishes, and waves her hand before jumping out from the car. She takes a peek at Baekhyun, who merely just smiles before pulling the gear and drives away slowly. Hee Yeon trails her eyes to the car and turns around to walk into the house.

When she pushes open the big, mahogany door, she is greeted by her maid, who stands still on the stairs. The maid bows at her, greeting her for coming home safe and sound. Hee Yeon smiles and greets her back, causing the maid to smiles a little. But then she frowns at her. She follows Hee Yeon to her room, knowing that she probably won't mind.

"You're late again, agashi." The maid starts, trying her best to put her words carefully so that her daughter's employer will not get mad. Hee Yeon sighs once she hears the words, and she stops just in time the maid steps right beside her. She takes her maid's shoulders and look into her eyes.

"Ahjumma, You know how my job is. Besides, I don't think mom and dad cares. I'm a grown up woman," She says reasurringly to the 55-years-old maid in front of her.

Ahjumma sighs and looks down. "They probably won't, but I do Hee Yeon," she mutters. Hee Yeon who hears that just grins, and she playfully pinches her cheek, giggling.

"You're so cute, ahjumma," She coos. Hee Yeon pulls away and starts to walk back to her room.

"But I'm literally fine, so you don't have to worry now," she continues and glances back when she realizes that her maid doesn't follow her anymore. She smiles softly upon seeing the look on the old maid's face. Walking back, she puts her arms around the little woman and pats her back.

"It's fine, ahjumma. It really is," she whispers, and the maid can finally heave a sigh of relief.

"Okay, then. If you say so," the maid mumbles beside her ear, and she smiles at that. Pulling away, she lets go of the old maid and excuses herself to her room.

Before she enters her room, she stares at her maid's retreating back and smile ssoftly.

In this world, there are only a few people who knows her. The real her. One of them is ahjumma, and the others are them.