.06

.dump.

XVI.

 

My Dearest Henry,

 

I hope this letter finds you in good health. How is London? I certainly hope everything is well and that you are not lollygagging. I do hope that you are studying well. I asked mother if I could follow after you and get an education there but for the umpteenth time, she had refused. She had also hid away my comfortable clothes and had forced me to take lessons on how to be a proper lady, instead. I believe my life gets shorter with every corset she forces on me. So, my dear friend, if you are just lollygagging and drinking whiskey across the ocean, come home and help me escape this miserable fate my mother had put me in. I am also to be scheduled in a meeting with one of her friends’ son. I do not wish to do so. I will not stand to just be a wife of a wealthy man, like what she expects of me. It pains me that I have to beg, however, I am desperate - come home this summer, please. And if you can, bring home books, not those expensive clothing and jewelries you always buy for me.

 

With best love,

A. Liu

 

My Dearest Amber,

 

It greatly amazes me that you could still very much reprimand me even when I am an ocean away. ‘Tis always a joy to receive letters from you. Has your mother hid away your quill and paper that you cannot write to me often? I terribly miss you, my dearest. You would like it here in London. To answer your query, yes, I am studying very well, worry not. I have also been creating music which I hope I can play to you soon. I created it with you in mind. A friend of mine said it sounds wonderful but I trust your opinion the most. I hope to be home soon.

 

I see your mother is infuriating as always. Do not stop wishing for education. You have always been smarter than I, it is not fair that she is withholding it to someone as bright as you. Have you talked about this with your father? He has always been more lenient to you. And tell your mother no man will ever be deserving as to be your husband. You are worth more than just to be someone’s wife. Do you know the name of the man? I do not think pleasantly of him already. Perhaps when I get home, I could challenge him to a duel.

 

I would bring home books, however, not too much so you could spend more time with me instead of your nose buried in pages. My dear Amber, you look ravishing in the jewelries and clothing that I bought you before. I will still bring you those. They are not even dresses, lessen your complaints.

 

I miss you terribly.

 

Affectionately Yours,

H. Lau

 

 

XVII.

 

Henry hears the blow whistle and he takes a deep breath before diving into the water, kicking his legs effortlessly, mind focused on reaching the other side of the pool. The regionals is just a few weeks away, he can’t be distracted now. Not when he still has orchestra and other school works to worry about. He turns his head to the side to gulp some air before diving his head back down again. When he reaches the other side, he swiftly turns, using the wall to kick himself forward and swims back to the starting point. When he finally comes up for air, he looks up expectantly.

 

“Well?” he asks.

 

“43.5 seconds.” Amber answers, turning the stopwatch around so he can see it.

 

Henry grins. That was a lot faster than yesterday’s. “Awesome!”

 

Amber rolls her eyes and gets up from the ground. “Can we go now? I get that regionals is coming up but we also have a Math exam in a few days so if you want to get some sleep tonight, we should get started.”

 

Henry scowls at her, pushing himself out of the pool and grabbing his towel. “I wasn’t like this to you when you wanted to stay up late to practice during basketball season.”

 

Amber flicks his forehead. “Hey, I’m not the one who asked help in Math. I’m saving your , you should be thankful.”

 

Henry pouts. “Fine, fine. But let me hug you first so I can show you how grateful I am for your oh so wonderful service.”

 

“No! Get away!” Amber squeals as Henry walks over to her, still dripping wet with his arms wide open. “Henry Lau, I swear to god I will end you if you come any closer!”

 

Henry ignores her and chases after her, laughing and when he finally catches her, he wraps his arms around her shoulders, holding her in place.

 

“Henry Lau, I’m going to ing kill you!” she shrieks, her clothes now damp and she shoves Henry, glaring. The swimmer shrug and races to the shower room before she could charge after him. She sighs and watches him disappear to the shower room, wondering why the hell does she have an for a best friend.