I Declare Hye Ryung my...

A Relative Worth Killing Over

 

 

I was taking my books for History when Eun Hye suddenly slammed my locker door shut for me. “Hey! I wasn’t done!” I told her and looked to her face only to find an angry expression on it.

  “You lied to me!” she exclaimed.

  “You lied to us!” SoRi joined in from behind her.

  “What?” I asked in confusion. “What are you guys talking about?” I asked another.

  “You told us you guys were just friends.” Han Byeol said.

  “You even said that there was nothing going on between the two of you!” Min Young added Han Byeol’s statement.

  From those sentences I knew what they meant. “Look, I meant what I said. We’re just friends!” I told them yet again.

  “Then how can you explain this?” Eun Hye asked and held out her hand so Min Young could place her Blackberry into it.

  Eun Hye shoved the little device into my face and it took me a while to figure out what was displayed on the screen. My eyes widened and I snatched the device from her grip. “Where did these come from?”

  “They came from the school blog.” SoRi answered.

  I wasn’t done scrolling to the last picture when Eun Hye snatched the phone out of my hands and handed it back to Min Young. “You should’ve known better Hye Ryung that your little relationship would get out sooner or later.”

  “You could’ve at least told us.” Han Byeol said in a hurt tone.

  “That’s all a misunderstanding! Dong Hae and I – we’re not a couple! We’re-” I tried explaining but SoRi cut me off.

  “Save your lies for someone who cares Hye Ryung.” SoRi said coldly and left with the other three.

  It was then did I realize; I had lost my friends. The day didn’t get any better as I walked throughout the school corridors, receiving glares that were shot by each and every girl in the school. I tried my best to ignore them and get to my class.

  The next day, I tried entering the girls’ room only to walk back out after being given warnings by every girl in there. I even got held up by a group of guys who threatened me, saying they’d kill me even if I continued to see Dong Hae. I didn’t know why those boyfriends were willing to do so for their girlfriends but the question still stands. How am I supposed to get away from him when I live under one roof with him?

  Despite me going through all of this, Dong Hae was oblivious and so he wouldn’t pick up a fight with anyone, getting it recorded in his clean records, I didn’t tell him about it.

  I was casually walking towards the lab for Chemistry and it felt odd that no one was yelling awful remarks about me. They were quiet and only would snicker as I pass them with a wondering look. It was when I passed the laboratory door did I know what was going on.

  At the bottom of the lab door was a fine string that if one person were to step on it, they’d be poured with slime dyed in red. I was lucky person intended for the trap and caused the whole class to roll in laughter. The teacher was right behind me and was as shocked as me.

  Quickly, I was reported to the nurse’s office to get cleaned up. The dye was hard to get off of my skin so I had essences of it on my face. I walked around looking like a tomato all the way until school was over. I had reached home and quickly made a call for Dong Hae’s phone to tell him I had walked home before him.

  I took a very quick shower and washed any traces of the red dye so he wouldn’t notice it. Even my clothes, I took the troubled washing them by hand before dumping them inside the washing machine with the other clothes. When he reached home he asked me about the washing machine and told me it was his turn. I told him I felt like doing it in return for all the kindness he had done for me these past years.

  Of course he eyed me for my reason but didn’t bother asking me why.

 

It was a Friday and I had accompanied Dong Hae on his duty of cleaning the school auditorium. It was fun helping him out, especially since he’d brought his CD with him. It consisted of the playlist he had made last night. The songs were a mix of my choices and his that the both of us enjoyed.

  There were a few songs that moved his dance bone to the extend he just had to stop and dance to it. He made me dance too but I kept rejecting his offer. At his tenth offer, I just couldn’t sit there and watch anymore.

  We danced according to the choreography and boy did we look good together. He even commented on my dancing saying that he might consider taking in female dancers, saying that I’d be the first person he’d sign up.

  On Monday, I was casually doing my work. I still received glares of course for that dating rumour but with the memory of Dong Hae and me last Friday, I relaxed. That was until the school’s Senior Assistant entered our class and called me.

  Head turned and some smiled. I knew what they were thinking but hoped it to be the other. My hop was crushed when I saw Dong Hae sitting in one of the seats in front of the Principal’s table. Dong Hae and the principal were having a very serious talk.

  “Come in dear,” said Principal Jo and I sat in the other empty seat beside Dong Hae. He gave me a brief look that identified nothing before looking back to the principal.

  I was nervous to death. Dong Hae noticed my anxiety from my hands and took it without shame in his. He massaged it and flashed me a small smile. It gave me comfort at his calm demeanour.

  “Even in my presence you have no shame at all in your relationship.” Principal Jo stated as he linked his fingers together in front of him.

  Dong Hae gave me a glare I swore that could actually kill a person and I thought the Principal stirred. I leaned closer to Dong Hae so I could ask, “You didn’t tell him?” It was low enough only for Dong Hae to hear me.

  He leaned closer and covered his hand over his mouth so the principal wouldn’t be able to lips read his words as he whispered, “I needed your consent for this.”

  I looked at him in horror. “In this state you know you already have my permission.” I said in a gasp and whisper.

  “I just needed confirmation.” Dong Hae said as he shrugged with a smile on his lips.

  “Excuse me,” Principal Jo said as he cleared his throat to get our attention. He got it alright. “The two of you better be able to explain yourselves at what I’m about to show you.” He took out a set of photos, the same one I had seen in Min Young’s phone and paled. Dong Hae’s eyebrows furrowed at the sight of them. He was confused and turned to me to shoot me a look that said, ‘Did you know about this?’ I nodded guiltily. “These are the two of you if I’m not mistaken.”

  “Yes, they are.” Dong Hae said with his stern eyes still on me. I bit my lower lip and looked away.

  “I’ve had complaints from teachers saying that Hye Ryung here has been bullied by the students because of your little affair.” Principal Jo stated and I knew what was to come.

  “What!!” Dong Hae reprimanded and stood up, releasing my hand and looked to Principal Jo in outrage as if accusing me of a murder I couldn’t have done. He then turned to me and said, “Is this true?”

  “You mean you never knew?” Principal Jo asked in astonishment.

  Dong Hae only let out a rough sigh which meant he was defeated.

  “Being her boyfriend, shouldn’t you be a little protective? You should know what’s going on!” Principal Jo said and I was surprised he really was falling for all of this.

  “Sir, if I may,” I tried saying but he didn’t give me a chance.

  “No, the two of you have to break it off. Your relationship cannot be continued. Someone will get hurt and one day those scars will become deeper and they won’t heal as quickly as these small ones.”

  “But sir, we’re not-” I tried explaining but he still cut me off.

  “There’s no use denying your relationship anymore Ms Lee! It’s perfectly clear that the both of you are a couple.”

  “She’s my sister!” Dong Hae exclaimed and Principal Jo came to an abruption.

  “She’s your sister?” Principal Jo asked with well-wounded eyes.

  “If you don’t believe me check my file.” Dong Hae boldly stated and I admired him for his strong stand.

  The principal did as suggested and took out a blue file. Studied it intently before looking up from it and said in surprised, “You’re right.”

  “My name is Lee Dong Hae. Lee Hye Ryung is my little sister.”