Who Would've Thought

A Relative Worth Killing Over

 

 

It was Children’s Day and the seniors of our school had prepared a special performance, a dance, for the spectators in the auditorium. I sat at the far back with a few of my friends. As I watched, my friends gawked. I knew the reason as to why my friends were drooling.

  Among the group of dancers/seniors on the stage down there, my friends couldn’t keep their eyes off of one guy. He took centre stage, breaking to the amazing Hip Hop music playing from the speakers. He was about six feet something in height, with his jet black hair well flattened under his fedora and had eyes the colour of hazel. His name was, Dong Hae.

  My friends were in love with him. I knew why. He was the school’s president student body, the school’s basketball team captain and won the school’s Science team first place last year on the theory of the Big Bang. He was smart and handsome.

  I, among other things don’t see him the way my friends do – in a knight’s shining armour. I pretty much looked at him like he was any other guy I see on the streets. The guy was normal to me. To me he didn’t seem to attract my attention. My friends kept asking me why I don’t like him. I told them he just wasn’t my type. If they knew the real reason behind it I’m sure I’d be in deep .

  Once their performance had ended with a bow, the auditorium gave them a thunderous clap. Smiles beamed on their faces and waved to their fans goodbye. Screams, yells and shrieks were emitted from the crowd. They merely smiled wider at the sound of it.

  It was recess; an hour had passed since their performance had ended. I was eating my chicken pot pie and tried to strike a conversation between my gang of four but they were too busy daydreaming – hardly touching their food!

  I snapped my fingers in front of Eun Hye’s face, banged my fist against the table in front of Han Byeol’s, ruffled Min Young’s hair and slapped SoRi’s face lightly so I could catch each and every one’s attention.

  “Hey! Eat! Recess is almost over.” I told them sternly and Eun Hye made a face.

  “I don’t feel hungry.” SoRi said with a pout in which I found odd because usually she eats more than me at times.

  “Oh yeah, what are you hungry for then?” Han Byeol asked while nudging SoRi lightly with her elbow and a small cunning smile creeping up her lips.

  Min Young said happily, “Lee Dong Hae!”

  All four gushed over the name while I rolled my eyes and finished my pie. I stood up from my seat and headed straight for the trash can before dumping my tray elsewhere. On my way back, my eyes picked up the sight of Dong Hae. He was sitting among his usual group of friends, laughing out loud at some joke they were talking about. I just shook my head and quickly got back to my table.

  As I sat in my seat, I watched in silence and with great patience as they continued to talk about Dong Hae. Their food was still untouched so I offered to eat as much as I could whatever was on their trays.

  “Hye Ryung,” called Eun Hye and I looked up from her pasta to answer her. “Why is it that you hate Dong Hae so much?” she asked with intense curiosity in her eyes. I looked to the other four and they held the same expression.

  I rolled my eyes and said with my mouth full, “I don’t hate him. I just hate the attention he’s getting.”

  “So you’re just jealous of his popularity?” Min Young asked with an eyebrow raised.

  I wrinkled my nose and said, “Not really but it’s something like that.”

  “That’s confusing,” SoRi said, “and completely unconvincing.”

  “Which draws us to this question,” Han Byeol joined in and asked, “Do you like him in secret?”

  I choked on my burger and nearly died if I hadn’t reached the orange juice in time. Once the stuck piece of meat had safely gone down my throat, I asked, “What?”

  “Oh come on Hye Ryung,” Han Byeol said, “the whole school here knows Dong Hae and is in love with him. You’re the only one to hate this guy’s guts. You must have some feelings inside towards him.”

  I retorted, “Yeah, annoyance.”

  “See?” SoRi shrieked giddily. “You’re sarcasm might just be a form of denial – uh a barrier between your true feelings towards him.” SoRi explained hypothetically.

  “Accept it Hye Ryung, it’s about time you did.” Min Young said and placed a hand on mine.

  “Look . . .” I said and took in a deep breath before saying, “I’ve already told you, I don’t ha-”

  I was cut off when Eun Hye shrieked, “Oh my God! Dong Hae is coming towards our direction!”

  All of their attention soon turned to the passing Lee Dong Hae and I was left with my jaw dropped in astonishment. A moment ago they were demanding me to accept my so called feelings towards Dong Hae and now when I try to explain my position they turn away and completely ignore me!

  I finished the burger and gathered my stuff before standing up and left them behind. I knew it was no use leaving them because I’d see them again in class but the moment’s time alone was all I needed.

  After school I had ditched my friends and went off first. I walked home as usual when I could just ride my bike but I liked taking my time.

  I was halfway home when a familiar figure leaning against a palm tree greeted me, “Hello beautiful.”

  “Hello Dong Hae,” I greeted him back in a sombre tone.

  Dong Hae’s eyes darted straight to my expression and immediately pushed his body off of the tree to block my path and ask, “What’s wrong now?”

  I looked up to him with hate-filled eyes but of course they were to no affect against him. He was probably immune by now. He smiled wider though which resulted to me crossing my arms and intensify my gaze. His smile disappeared and now appeared a look of wonder.

  With a hand under his chin in a thinking gesture, he said with both eyebrows raised, “Must be really bad.”

  “It’s only bad because it’s you.” I said and swerved my body around him so I could pass him.

  He watched me in amusement before trying to catch up with me. He held my shoulder and I slowed my pace. “Is it your friends again?” he asked me and I could detect the smile in his tone of voice.

  I stopped and turned to him so I could say, “Yes and this time I just realized you’re turning them against me.”

  He looked appalled there for a moment and asked, “Me . . . the bad person here? I would never!” Then, the narcissism, “I just couldn’t help myself Hye Ryung, since I’m so cool.”

  I slapped his arm and he chuckled. “Oh you’re just impossible! I don’t know how I bear with you at times.” I said with a smile on my lips.

  “Of course you can!” he exclaimed happily as he curled an arm around my neck and pulled me close so he could tousle my hair as he said, “You are in fact my little sister aren’t you?”