Uh-oh......

A Relative Worth Killing Over

 

 

It was a grey day for our family. Our father’s plot was by a tree, many people encircled us, wearing nothing but black. I stood beside Dong Hae that day, holding his hand tight as our father’s coffin descended to the ground while the preacher preached. He was only 47. Many of our father’s friends came over to wish their condolences and I couldn’t help overhearing some of their conversations about us. I was lucky Dong Hae was around as my pillar of strength.

  The day after seemed grey still even though my tears had dried up. I didn’t tell my friends and didn’t show it. Dong Hae did a pretty good job hiding his pain and I envied it. My friends continued to talk about Dong Hae and I let them. Their blabbering didn’t seem to annoy me as much as the fact that I no more had a father.

  It was when I felt the tears coming did I say, “Uh . . . excuse me, I need to go for a moment.”

  I choked and quickly walked out of the cafeteria because a tear had escaped. It was soon that when I was walking along the school corridors that the tears overwhelmed me. I walked straight towards my locker and just leaned myself against the locker for support. I didn’t know if anyone noticed but I just let them think whatever they wanted.

  I was surprised when I felt a hand on my shoulder. When I turn around, Dong Hae was standing there with a look of worry. When he saw me his look turned into a look of sympathy and pulled me into his arms. I cried into his shirt and the both of us sat on the ground. We leaned against the lockers and as he comforted me, I cried harder into his shoulder.

 

***

 

“Oh please Ji Na, you know that look is way more me!” I told Ji Na and she made a face.

  “Su Yeon! You know Ji Na’s been thinking about that dress since yesterday. Now that she’s got it you’re telling her it doesn’t suit her? She so looks good in it.” Ju Yeon said.

  “Oh stop boosting her self-esteem Ju Yeon. She doesn’t need it since she’s hanging around me.” I exclaimed and continued to walk but halted.

  Ju Yeon bumped into me from behind and said, “Hey, what gives?”

  I told her to shush it and hide behind the wall as I peaked. “What is it?” Ji Na asked from behind Ju Yeon.

  I couldn’t believe my eyes. Dong Hae was sitting on the floor with that little brat that bumped her basket into me. She seemed to be crying so he must be trying to comfort her. Why does a ruthless need comforting?

  Seeing the halls were empty, they must think they were alone. We’ll just see about that.

  “Oh Dong Hae,” I called out and his eyes widened in surprise.

  “Su Yeon,” he said in a mutter. The girl on his shoulder slowly lifted her head up and looked up to me.

  “What’s this?” I asked and crossed my arms.

  The both of them stood up and he told her in hushed tones, “We’ll talk after school okay?” She just nodded numbly and walked away with those blotched eyes of hers. ‘Unbelievable,’ I thought.

  “Who was she? Do you know her? Why was she crying? And why did you give her your shoulder?” I demanded.

  Dong Hae just rolled his eyes and let out a sigh. He then said, “She’s nobody alright. It was nothing.”

  I was appalled at his answer and when he walked away. “Dong Hae, I am your girlfriend! How dare you cheat on me?”

  He stopped in his tracks and his heels. My blood boiled and it stabbed me in the chest when he said, “Since when were you my girlfriend?”

  “Ouch,” Ji Na said and I my heels. I found the little brat making way to the girls’ room.

  “Come on girls!” I ordered Ji Na and Ju Yeon to follow me and caught up with that brat.

  I pushed her in until she was pushed against the wall. Her eyes were less blotched now but who cared. She looked like the normal girls you see pass by your street. I couldn’t get how this normal-looking kid was able to attract such a guy.

  “Why were you crying?” I asked her and she was silent. “Did you break up with your boyfriend huh? Did you break a nail? Tell me!” She still didn’t answer me. “Whatever it is, couldn’t you go and look for your friends instead of Dong Hae. You guys might be close, family friends perhaps but he’s a little out of your league! So I suggest you run back home and don’t come near my boyfriend ever again!”

  “But I thought he said he wasn’t your boyfriend.” Ju Yeon said all of a sudden and my blood boiled further.

  “Shut up Ju Yeon!” I yelled at her before turning my attention back to the twerp.

  “Don’t worry,” she said weakly. “I won’t be of trouble.”

  Just like that, she walked past us like my threat never happened. “She’s something . . .” Ji Na said and I yelled with all my might.

  The whole school practically heard me but who the hell cares. After school, I was irritated and told Joey to straight away send me home instead of the mall for my daily shopping. It wouldn’t do me good anyway if I shopped till I dropped.

  I was looking out the window when I saw it. Dong Hae was with that brat again. I lowered the window and the both of them were walking side-by-side. Her arm was looped around his as they walked. She clung to him like she was holding on to him for dear life. Could it be that these two were a thing? Well I wasn’t going to stand by and watch.

  I took out my cell phone and took as many pictures I could before they disappeared from my view. After seeing the set of pictures I had taken, I knew just what to do with them to get payback.