Five

Hyung has a Secret

Jonghyun POV

I took my seat and glanced at the familiar spot at the back of mine. My heart clenched knowing that he's still not there. A week had passed since that event and I was never able to see or get a glance of him again. He doesn't come to school, he wouldn't let me visit him at work, he doesn’t answer my calls nor my texts. I feel really guilty. I know that I am the reason why he doesn't come to school anymore. I feel like I'm the reason why he won't be able to finish his studies. He might think that I will tell his secret. But I swear with my life that I will do anything to protect it. I won't let everyone know about it and judge him since they wouldn't understand him the way I can. The way I love him.

Classes started as usual and Mrs. Park started to drone in another language that I don't understand a bit. I usually enjoy English but my mind can't seem to absorb anything but the thought of Changhyun hyung.

 

How is he?

Is someone taking care of him?

Is he eating all his meals? Is he sleeping well?

I hope nothing bad had happened to him.

 

Then a phone call was heard and I immediately snapped out and checked my phone. Only to be disappointed to know it was from Mrs. Park.

She excused herself and went outside. Everyone transformed into their true selves and a subtle noise emanated from the room.

The door suddenly opened and everyone stopped talking expecting it to be Mrs. Park. But they were wrong. I was wrong as well.

It’s Changhyun hyung.

Everyone stopped for a while, stared at him then returned into their own businesses.

I was the only one who didn’t took his eyes off him.

He looked extremely different. He now has black hair, circles under his eyes were very much prominent, skinnier, paler. But that’s not the only thing that changed. His bright and docile demeanor was gone. He didn’t smile and made eye contact only to the cold floor. He immediately sat on his seat and buried his head to his hands.

I wanted to talk to him but fate forbade it with Mrs. Park coming back in and continued the class.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Changhyun POV

So I decided to come back to school. With Jonghyun knowing my secret, you could call me a thick faced b*tch for still having the guts to come to school. But I realized, that if I really wanted to escape that place, I have to work hard and graduate to get a decent job and pay all of my family’s debts. I am determined to graduate, and I will not quit.  Besides, there’s only a semester left.

I never wanted to be a pr*stitute. But when you’re young, not knowing anything about the world, how would you think of solving a huge problem placed on your back with all of these adults pressuring you. But I didn’t let it limit myself there. With that as my case, I decided that I don’t need to be stuck there forever. So I found studying to be my comfort.

Whenever I studied I forget all the bad things happening to me. It’s my escape to this dirty and sinful world. With hard work, I obtained a scholarship to this university and made side jobs tutoring my co-students. That’s where I met Jonghyun.

Only when I started teaching him did I notice that he was also my classmate in English literature. We became friends. We spent most of our free times together just hanging out. I enjoy his company so much and we click even with our 2 year .

As time passed by, I realized it’s not only friendship that I wanted from him. I liked him. But I know that there is no way for a relationship to take place. Except for the fact that I would never let him end up with someone like me, I know that there is no way for him like me. Jonghyun is a handsome and kind young man who deserves someone better than a mere s*x worker.

So that day when he found out I am a wh*re, I felt sad and extremely disappointed with myself. I am embarrassed. I am ashamed. I felt way too small that I do not have the right to exist beside him. I felt just like vanishing.

When he confessed, I felt worse. I am happy that he feels the same way, that my love for him was not on me alone. But I know that I can never be with him.

I know I can still protect him, and that is through staying away.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Classes ended and I hastily went out of the room.

A familiar voice called me and I ignored him walking faster than how I’ve ever done in my life. He kept on calling and I started to run rushing to the school’s parking lot. And that is where a strong hand gripped my arm and pulled me backwards to face its owner.

Jonghyun.

“Hyung.” He panted.

I pried my arm away and bit my lips.

“What do you want?”

“I…”

We stood in silence.

“I’m sorry for what I did to you.”

“It’s not your fault. You shouldn’t blame yourself.”

“No hyung, it’s all my fault. I shouldn’t have judged you like that and went there. I was really selfish. Thinking only about my feelings and didn’t think of yours. I’m sorry I hurt you.”

I looked at him. His words broke my heart.

“I understand if you want to avoid me, I really do. But please don’t give up your dreams by not coming to school because of me. I won’t tell anyone, I promise you my whole life with that. But please just come to school and always take care of yourself. But if everything becomes too hard for you to handle, I’m always here, and I will never leave your side.”

I smiled at him and a tear escaped my eyes.

“Promise me you’ll never give up your dreams.”

“Thank you Jonghyun.”

He wiped my tears and was about to hug me when a familiar car honked at us. I instantly pulled away from him and wiped the remaining tears in my eyes.

The car door opened and revealed a man in black suit. He opened the door for his boss and he went down the car boring holes in Jonghyun’s body with his stare.

“Who’s this?” His deep voice sent shivers down my spine.

“He’s Jonghyun, my friend.” I answered shakily.

Jonghyun looked at me totally confused with what’s happening.

“You’re too close for a friend you know?” He declared.

“He’s my only friend and he just really wanted to welcome me back to school.” I grabbed his left arm and hugged it.

“Oh, that must've been really rude of me.  I'm sorry, can we start all over again?  What's your name?" The man I held smiled.

Jonghyun just stared at him, not bothering to answer his question.

"Alrighty then, any friend of Changhyun is a friend of mine.  It was nice meeting you."

We started walking and he escorted me into the car. The car immediately started and Jonghyun’s frame started fading as the driver quickly drove away from him.

“You sure he’s just a friend?” He asked seriously as he pulled me closer, the smile he had awhile ago completely gone.

“He’s just a friend. I promise you Kuhn.”

 

---------