Beginning

Soulmate

 

“Yes she been like this for two weeks” Jin’s so-call mother said to some doctor that standing next to Jin, looking down at her. The doctor was called to the house because Jin has been laying at the same spot without moving, the place where her grandmother laid before they took her to the hospital, only breathing. Jin is laying on the concrete floor, staring at road that visible when the front door is open. The path is the path that Wonwoo took when he left this small town.

 

“I think she’s going into depression, we have to get her to a psychologist” the doctor scribble something in a piece of paper and the two continue to stare at Jin.

 

“But she won’t move from the floor, she haven’t eaten anything for two weeks” her mother voice, why does it not sound familiar? That voice is just like any voice that doesn’t matter to Jin. Why does this lady that titled mom care about Jin now? What does she get from caring for a child whom she never even know?

 

“My friend is a psychologist I can tell her to come the first thing tomorrow since it’s already late today” the doctor take a last look at Jin’s eyes and shake his head. He doesn’t see anything, but a pair of empty and tired eyes staring at the road. It look like her soul is not even here, it’s somewhere else and the place where her soul is at doesn’t seem much happier because of her expression. The child must have gone though a lot for her to become to like this.

 

“Thank you so much” her mother thank the doctor, giving him money for coming for a house visit. The sky darkens, leaving Jin in absolute silent. Jin can hear the waves crashing against the shore. It’s ironic how the sound that used to be calming before, but now seem to give Jin a headache and pain. There are too many memories that the waves carries, memories of when her grandma was still alive, when Wonwoo was still here, when Jin used to be a happy person, when everything was normal.

 

Jin remember when her grandma takes in the child of sin and raise her until today. No one give her any respects, she worked so hard to take care of Jin and as times goes on she earn everyone's respect and Jin also have a happier life in town. Everything her grandma worked for was for Jin, for her to be happy and now she’s not here anymore.

 

“Miss Jin, I’m here to talk to you about your grandma’s will” a lawyer came by when sun came up so it must be morning, days will go by and the Earth will continue to spin even if her grandma is no longer here. Jin only know that the lawyer left a orange envelope in front of her, blocking half of her vision of the path. Jin believe those are the things that her grandma left behind for her.

 

Jin mind is clearer now after so many days, she can’t lay here like this forever. People who comes by always give her a pitiful look, Jin doesn’t know why. Jin already sad, why do those people give her those look so make her feel even smaller? The only person that Jin grateful to is Faye, who come by everyday to tell her stories and update the town gossips just like before. No pitifulness, just pure and genuine concern.

 

The night comes once again, Jin already lost counts of the days. The lady titled mother is already getting impatient with Jin, she tried to drag Jin from the spot and been calling many people saying that she will go back to wherever she came from soon. Jin take a deep breath closes her eyes, pushing all the sad memories to somewhere in her head where she won’t be touching at all. Nothing will happen, everyone is still the same, but I am not. Jin have to do something to forget everything, the only way is to leave this place full with memories. It should be around three in the morning, not a single soul is out on the street, Jin use her hands and slowly push herself up.

 

The envelope that the lawyer gave her is full of money, enough for Jin to live for the next few years or even longer. Jin feel tears in her eyes, she didn’t know her grandma saved up so much. Images of her grandma yelling at Jin when she used too much money or leaves the lights on for too long. Her grandma always sit in the dark, use minimal of everything. Everything she did was for Jin to have a comfortable life when she can’t be around any longer.

 

There’s a bus at four that can take Jin to the metro, from the metro Jin can pick whatever she want to go. The money that her grandma saved up, Jin have to find a place where she can be happy because that’s her grandma wish. Jin quietly get her purse from her room, she stop by her grandma’s room to grab the hand mirror that her grandma always use and leave the house where the so-call mother is still sleeping.

 

The cold air hit Jin face, the tears dry up quickly. The sound of waves encourage Jin on, she continue to walk on and on even though she can barely feel her body moving, it’s like it moving on it's on. Jin have to go to a faraway bus station so that no one will recognize her. The town grew smaller and smaller, Jin is now in a place that she doesn’t recognize at all. Jin take the bus to the metro, only her and the bus driver sitting there on the empty bus. Standing in front of the metro, Jin look at the maps of all the places she can go. All the lines are so confusing and there are names that Jin never even heard off.


 

Then there it was, the one that make Jin feel something in her chest. The Incheon airport, the one that she had dreamed about when she was little. The airport that takes one to Jeju Island, so Jeju island it is. Jin had to travel for so many hours, she did not respond to the growl of her stomach. She’s not in the mood to eat anything.

 

The wait for a plane was so long, Jin did not mind as she patiently sitting and waiting. So many people stared at her, maybe because she haven’t shower for days and her hair and clothes are a mess. Many people refuse to sit next to Jin, even on the airplane, the man ask for a seat change. No one sat next to Jin at all.

 

“We’ve arrived in Jeju island, everyone please exit safely and have a nice day”  the Stewart lady smile at everyone even at Jin. Jin step off the plane, it didn't take long for Jin to get out since she only have her purse, no suitcase. Without knowing where to go, the air is fresh definitely like home. There are not a lot of people, Jin try to recall the last time she eat or even drink water. Jin didn't know how long she walked, she seem to be in a small city now. There's barely any cars anymore it seem like she in the countryside. Everything just like home, Jin find it hard to move on.

 

“Miss are you okay?” A man shake Jin shoulders. Jin didn't know how she ended up on the floor, but she have no strength to reply or get up. Jin feel so sleepy, she doesn't even remember when was the last time she close her eyes to sleep. Finally she can sleep.


 

~~~~~~~~~


 

“Hello miss, are you feeling better?” A nurse smile at Jin as Jin open her yes to see the white ceiling, Jin didn’t have to guess where she is, she know for a fact that she’s in a hospital. Jin turn to her right a nice lady smiling at her, she seem like a kind person. Jin feel the pain in when she try to speak.

 

“Water, please” Jin voice is so hoarse, feel so scratchy.

 

“Here you go, don't drink too much okay? You need to eat if you want to drink more to even it out” she pour a small glass of water

 

“Thank you” Jin did not expect the cup to be a bit heavy, but she can manage to take a sip of the water.

 

“No problem. Now tell me your age and name for the record and why have you been starving” the nurse take out a paper clip from the other end of the bed and a pen from her pocket. She also ask things like her families and stuff like that when Jin stay quiet.

 

All those question make Jin realize that she's in a place where no one know her. She's not the happy Jin that live up the hill with her grandmother. She's not the Jin that didn't have a mate on her 21st birthday. She's not the Jin that is in love with Wonwoo. She can be someone else here.


“My name is Danbi.  I don't remember how I end up here or anything about my family" Jin find herself saying it with ease, staring at the nurse dead in the eye to give the nurse no room of doubts.

“Not even your family? That's odd there's no accident wound or anything that can cause memory loss. Did you had a big shock recently?” the nurse scribble in the paper that on the wooden paper clip, glancing up at Jin occasionally.

 

“I don't remember” Jin really don't want to remember actually, she want to live as a new person. She will forget who Jin is eventually so she doesn’t have to bear the pain that Jin bear. “I don't think I'm from here either” Jin lie before the nurse try to contact people around here and cause a scene.

 

“Okay then I will have to report to the doctor” the nurse scan Jin one last time for any physical injuries before writing some last details on the paper. “We have the private shower right in that room, feel free to use it” she point to the door next to the exit door.

 

“Thank you” Jin really mean it, she's a very nice person that around Jin real age.

 

“You can call me Jeonghan” the nurse smile smile, but something tell Jin that she is really not smiling. The name and the unusual deep voice finally knock some sense out of Jin. Jin’s face must be obvious because Jeonghan now have an amuse smile on his face. Jin blush, biting onto her like and look down at the white blanket.

 

“Thought I was a girl? Well I can't blame you. I do have amazing hair and flawless skin” Jeonghan flip his orange ish hair and it falls perfectly into place without a single stray strand.

 

“I'm sorry” Jin doesn't dare to look at Jeonghan so she keep her head down. She didn't mean to hurt his feelings. He just look so pretty. His hair looks so silky and smooth, his face is pretty feminine since he have such a pretty smile too. Anyhow, this is so embarrassing.

 

“It's not a problem really. You're so cute” Jeonghan give Jin a candy to assure that he's not hurt by her words before going back to the doctor to report about Jin. Jin stare at the red lollipop in her hand.

 

After few hours of just spacing out on the bed, Jeonghan comes back with an older man. Jin notice the man wear a white jacket, he must the doctor that Jeonghan was talking about. Jeonghan on the other hand is not in his nurse uniform anymore, he is wearing blue jeans and black shirt.

 

“Siwon she's got memory lost” Jeonghan said as he eat a red lollipop, the same one that he gave to Jin earlier.

 

“Jeonghan it's not professional to eat candy in front of a patient and call me Dr. Choi” he frown at Jeonghan before looking over Jin chart’s that Jeonghan wrote in earlier. Jin notice his frown make his eyebrows become one and he frown even more after seeing how close Jeonghan is sitting on the patient bed.

 

“She doesn't remember her family or where she come from Siwon. Is her head okay?” Jeonghan didn't hear a single word from Siwon, he is now sitting on the edge of the bed studying Jin.

 

“Let's move on” Dr. Choi sigh, he use flashlight to look at Jin’s eyes. “Looking at how she haven't eaten or sleep for days and the dullness in her eyes, she must had a shock. A big shock can result can result in temporary memory loss” he scribble something in the chart before glancing at Jeonghan who is now sitting next to Jin.

 

“You poor thing” Jeonghan hugs Jin, Dr. Choi smack Jeonghan head and Jeonghan let go of Jin immediately.

 

“Ouch” Jeonghan grab his head ,glaring at Dr. Choi while rubbing the place where Dr. Choi hit with his hands.

 

“Go back to work” Dr. Choi said before signing the chart and put it back at the pocket by the bed. “She need to rest” Dr. Choi exit the room, giving up on trying to make Jeonghan leave Jin alone.

 

“I'm done with work that’s why I'm here to play with her. We're friends since she accepted my candy” Jeonghan did not even look at Siwon direction, his eyes only focus on Jin. They both been friends before working together so Jeonghan doesn't even bother to call him Dr or whatever title there is. Looking at Jin skinny body, Jeonghan have an idea!!

 

“Want to go eat with me? You need more calcium and lots more proteins. I know the best chicken place” Jeonghan notice how Jin does not move from the bed. “Take a warm shower first. The best way to forget pain is to be happy okay?” Jeonghan smiles, Jin can tell he’s trying his best to cheer her up.

 

Jin does agree with that, it’s no use sitting around, she done that for the past two weeks already. As Jin try to push herself off the bed, she try to stand on her feet, Jin notice how weak she is. Jin didn’t fall since Jeonghan is already by her side, supporting her.

 

“Aigoo you're so little and weak” Jeonghan help Jin back onto the bed before jogging to the hall way and come back a few second later with a wheelchair. “We can borrow this and give it back later. Let me ask Amber to help you shower”

 

Jin really appreciated Jeonghan help a lot, he’s like an angel that heaven sent to aid her through this. Jin was surprise at first because Amber looks very boyish, she smiles at Jin and help her to the bathroom. Amber is very nice, even nicer than Jeonghan if that’s even possible. Amber talk about many things to keep the mood happy and Jin enjoy all of the stories.

 

Amber is done with helping Jin and she have to leave to take care of her other patients, Jeonghan comes in to help Jin tot eh wheelchair. He invited Amber to come, but she have to get back to work and she have a late shift today.  Jeonghan push Jin outside of the hospital all the way to the chicken place, it was a few block away. Jin notice the fresh air and a nice change of scenery, it’s a bit less quiet than Gosan-ri. Jeonghan talks and talks about everything. Jin is not complaining, she enjoy talking to someone after all these quiet days.

 

“You don't talk much” Jeonghan pout after half an hour of talking to himself. They are sitting at a table for four in the chicken place that Jeonghan recommend.

 

“You can talk for both since you talk so much” a guy scoff, he puts down another plate of chicken since Jeonghan ordered it. He seem to be the owner lady son because Jin saw them talking earlier. He and Jeonghan seem to be friends because they didn’t greet each other and keep on dissing each other.

 

“You're right Seungkwan. I can talk for both of us” Jeonghan smile happily, staring at the hot and steamy plate of fried chicken.

 

“Look at him” Seungkwan shake his head, taking a seat next to Jin. “How did you become friend with him?”

 

Jin didn't know what to say, are they friends? She look at Jeonghan who is eating happily. Jin would love to be friend with Jeonghan he is so caring and kind. Jeonghan seem to notice they both are staring at him.

 

“She's my patient, don't ask her too much. It hurts for her to talk” Jeonghan pour two cups of water and place one cup in front of Jin.

 

Jin is surprised to hear that she didn't tell him that it's hurt for her to talk, how did he know? Is it because he's a nurse? Jin stare at Jeonghan with many questions in her head.

 

“Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know” Seungkwan gasp, turning and apologizing to Jin. Jin give him a small smile, to show him that it's fine. “Can you eat chicken?” Seungkwan stare at Jin and then Jeonghan.

 

“I'm not sure either. I just know that if she eat or drink she have to do it slowly in a small amount since she haven't been eating or drinking for weeks” Jeonghan doesn’t know if she’s allowed to eat something as oily as chicken, but he was craving for some so he took her here.

 

“How are you alive? Oh my god I eat like 20 plates of chicken a day” Seungkwan freak out, staring at Jin in horror “please eat something” Seungkwan take the plate of chicken away from Jeonghan and place in toward Jin.

 

That was news to Jin, she then realize she haven't eat or drink ever since that day at the hospital with her grandma. Jin look at her own body and see bones poking out, funny how she always wanted to diet. She have to eat to survive and to be happy just like her grandma said.

 

Jin use all her energy to grab the heavy silver fork. She used to be so strong, she even won against Wonwoo and he's always the skinnier and weaker one. However she can't even hold a fork without shaking and eventually she dropped it. It make a loud noise as it fell to the floor. People in the restaurant turns to stare, Jin put her head down in embarrassment.

 

“I will get a new one” Seungkwan is already up on his feet, he feel bad and responsible for this little incident since he's the one telling her to eat. He just didn’t want her to starve.

 

“It's okay” Jeonghan said as he use his fork to separate the meat from the bone. He stab the meat, leaving the skin on the plate, with his fork and bring it to Jin mouth. Jin open and bite the meat. Something that used to be natural seem so hard, Jin had to tell her brain to chew every single time. The taste is so familiar yet to foreign, Jin doesn’t even know whether it taste good or not.

 

“I feel bad that it's so painful for her to eat and I'm here trying to diet” Seungkwan laugh bitterly, playing with his fingers. Jeonghan didn’t seem to be comfortable to hear it, the table become quiet.

 

Jin couldn’t stand it as she place a hand on Seungkwan’s forearm, he and Jeonghan seem to be shock at her action. Seungkwan stare at her with widen eyes asking her what’s wrong. Jin look at seungkwan in the eye and shake her head.

 

“Don't diet, please eat” Jin doesn't want him to do something against what he like just because of what people say. Jin use her strength, well with Jeonghan help, to push the chicken plate toward Seungkwan. Seungkwan is a very nice person, Jin can tell that be been struggling about his weight. He's sound so fragile that Jin want to protect him.

 

“Yeah Danbi is right, you're okay the way you are Seungkwan” Jeonghan smiles, he didn’t know how to say it and he’s glad that Jin didn. He never liked it when other people comment and tell Seungkwan to lose weight. “Eat some it's on me” Jeonghan pour another cup of water for Seungkwan.

 

“Wow really? Thanks guys” Seungkwan smile finally reach his eyes, he look so happy as he and Jeonghan start to talk about their day and catch up with each other. They were friends since they’re little because they both live near the hospital and play together at the park near by. Jin watch the two talking, they are very good friends and they both are so kind.

 

“Seungkwan you're eating again?” the owner lady come out from the kitchen, scolding at the sight of her son eating with his friend.

 

“Oh crap” Seungkwan stuff his mouth quickly as his mother comes even closer.

 

“Mom, Jeonghan Hyung said he's treating. How can I not eat?” Seungkwan have oil all over his mouth when he stuff all the chicken earlier, Jin hand him a few napkin, Seungkwan take it and clean his hands.

 

“You eat too much you will get fat. You need a diet” his mom take napkin and clean his mouth for him.

 

Jin notice the sparkles in seungkwan eyes fades a bit. Jin can tell that this is a very sensitive topic for him, but his mom show her pure concern for her son health. Jin wish people stop telling him that, he's perfect the way he is.

 

“Aww mom, even if I turn into a pig you still love me right? Right?” The sparkle is back when his mom gave in to his aegyo, Jin smile at the scene.

 

“Of course. You're my son and I love you no matter what. I just don't want you to be sick so let's go exercise with me later okay?” his mom pat his head, holding him close to her.

 

“Okay mom” Seungkwan smiles, hugging his mom back.

 

“Jeonghan do you want to come along to exercise? Oh my who is this? Your girlfriend?” Seungkwan mom eyes lands on Jin, she smile at Jin. She seem happy to see Jin, Jin feel awkward so he didn’t say or look at the owner lady.

 

“She's my patient eomonie” Jeonghan give her a hug and sit back back.

 

“I never seen you eating with a patient before” Seungkwan’s mom comment, Jin can tell that she is looking at Jin up and down, Jin feel a bit uncomfortable

 

“My job for today is to feed her. She's a difficult one when it come to eating” now Jeonghan is staring at her too. Jin try to find something to look at, beside those two, so she stare at the chicken plate instead.

 

“Because you're giving her fried chicken so oily and dry. Let me make chicken soup. It's on the house” she pat Jeonghan’s back, Jeonghan seem to be surprise at her offer.

 

“Wah Danbi do you know how lucky you are. Eomonie chicken soup is the best in Jeju and you get to taste it for free” Jeonghan thank Seungkwan’s mom, giving her his brightest smile.

 

“Thank you” Jin force a smile, it's so hard to just smile.

 

“Aigoo no worries. Jeonghan is like a son to me. You two enjoy, Seungkwan come help me” Seungkwan’s mom is a nice person, she have very warm personality, seungkwan must got his personality from her.

 

“Yes, mom” Seungkwan grab two chicken before running after his mom.

 

“They are very kind” Jin manage to say, Jeonghan seem to be surprised by her starting a conversation. He was talking to himself just a few minutes earlier.

 

“Yup, way too kind sometimes you know. If you're too kind people take advantage of you.” Jeonghan shake his head. Jeonghan hear a lot about how Seungkwan friends always want to eat here without paying and always make Seungkwan pay for them at other food places. Those bullies that doesn't know that they are hurting an innocent boy.  

 

Jin didn't have to ask to know there's a story behind that, but she doesn't want to intrude since she is a stranger to them. The only thing she can do at the moment is to get better and decide what to do from here.

 

The chicken soup is seriously the best Jin ever taste so far, Jin could only eat a few spoon and she was so full and Jeonghan help her finish. One day when she get better she will eat all of it. Jeonghan paid for the meal even the soup.

 

“Come on let's go back before Siwon kill me” Jeonghan push Jin back to the hospital before leaving since his shift was over a while back.

 

 

 

 

 

For the past weeks, Jeonghan been taking care of Jin very carefully. Jin is now feel so much better and she can eat, drink, talk and walk again. It's feel so good to be better, Jin smiles and laugh a lot more too thanks to Jeonghan and Seungkwan. Seungkwan would visit every day at his lunch break from the restaurant. Those two always bickering and Jin have to stop them.

 

“You're going to get release soon you know” Jeonghan said one day as he is peeling an orange white sitting on Jin hospital bed.

 

Jin haven’t thought that far. Jin panic, where can she go? She go so comfortable here. Maybe she can go rent a place or so around here and so she can be with Jeonghan and Seungkwan still.

 

“I'm concern about you since you don't even remember anything. How will you survive?” Jeonghan sigh, he more worry about Jin more than Jin herself. Jin smile at that, they both gotten pretty close for the past three weeks.

 

“Hey hey hey, don't trash the place. The clean ahjumma quit remember? We have to clean the place ourselves” Amber scold Jeonghan as she walks by, looking him a dead glare. Amber must be so tired after all those night shift and school at the same time.

 

That's it!!!!!! Jin watch as Amber walk away. Jin can try to get a job here and so she can stay around here. Cleaning is not too bad is it? Jin wouldn’t know, but still she want to try.

 

“I want to work here. You guys need someone to clean I can clean since I don't have anywhere to go and I can see you and Seungkwan more often too” Jin hope that Jeonghan would agree and help her.

 

“I will talk to Siwon. I feel better with you being here. If the work is too hard I can help you. There are rooms for residents, but there's no one there anymore I can ask him to let you stay there too.” Jeonghan is already up on his feet, he give Jin the peel orange before running off the find Dr. Choi. Jin didn’t think that he would agree so quick, she thought he would try to get rid of her while he can or else he will have to deal with her for a long time.

 

Jin sit there and look at the door anxiously waiting for Jeonghan to come back, she is praying that she can get the job and maybe a room to stay at. What is he doesn’t come back? What that doesn’t make sense, Jin mind is going crazy because of her thoughts. After ten minutes, Jeonghan comes back with somewhat troubled expression. Jin is now scared that she will get kick out. Where would she go?

 

“I have a bad news and good news. Let's start with the good news. He said yes!!!!!” They both cheer, spinning hands in hands. Jin can’t believe that she just got a job, she make note to really thank Dr. Choi later for his kindness of taking her in.

 

“The bad news?” Jin pause her celebrating, she hope that it’s not anything bad, if the bad new is the room it’s okay since she have money to rent a motel or a apartment.

 

“I have to call him Dr. Choi for a month” Jeonghan frown, Jin feel so bad for laughing at Jeonghan’s pain. That’s it? really? Jin couldn’t believe this situation at all, everything become so much easier after she met jeonghan.

 

“Jeonghan I am really thankful to you” Jin take a step back and bow to him. Jin never thought that she can find a place this quick and even a friend. He helped her with everything, being there for her always and always comfort her with kind words.

 

“Wow we're friends aren't we? Come on don't do that” Jeonghan pat Jin’s shoulder, then she wrap his right arm around her shoulder. “Now let's go tell Seungkwan the good news” they both race to Seungkwan’s mom restaurant, of course Jeonghan win since Jin is still recovering. Seungkwan smile brightly when he see them walks in. Jeonghan told him the good news and they all cheer, earning stare from all the customers.

 

“That's great!! But Danbi really can't go around with hospital clothes all the time, people will think wrong. Let's go shopping” Seungkwan eyes on the people inside the restaurant, Jin scan around to see everyone staring at her. It does seem weird for her to walk around with hopital clothes all the time.

 

“I totally forgot about that, eomonie I'm taking seungkwan and Danbi shopping” Jeonghan said it loud enough for Seungkwan mom to hear since she is standing at the counter, calculating the meal price.

 

“Alright, Seungkwan wear your jacket” his mother shout after him, Seungkwan run back in to grab his sweater and join Jeonghan and Jin outside.

 

Jeonghan takes the two to the mall to shop, let’s say Seungkwan shop for Jin more than Jin shop for herself. Jin got a hand full of bags, Seungkwan is her stylist for the day. Jeonghan wanted to pay, but Jin always beat him to it.


Jeonghan watch the two fighting over ice cream flavors. Jeonghan is happy that Jin get to stay since he know that she doesn’t have any family, there are bad people out there so he can’t just let her leave. Even if Siwon refuse the job, Jeonghan would have offer his place, he could give her the room and he can sleep on the couch, and ask Seungkwan mom to give her a part time job at the restaurant. Everything worked out fine so he can be next to her everyday and he is happy because she is too.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Longest chapter!!!!!!!!  I hope you guys enjoyed it
Did you guys like Jeonghan as a nurse???   ;)    cuz I do!!!!^^
 
There will be more characters in the next chapter, 
Just a quick question because I am curious  
Who do you want her to end up with? even if the person is not in the story...or haven't show up yet because there will be more.
Name anyone from Seventeen. Take a wild guess^^