The Ugly Past (and Future)

Piccadilly Circus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Kyungsoo hyung?” Kai does a double take and gapes at the small male huddled in on himself, sitting by the curb near the entrance of the school’s dance studio. It was raining cats and dogs outside, and the small shelter over the entrance of the building does little to protect those standing underneath it.

 

“Oh my god.” The younger takes in the drenched state of the other and rushes to crouch beside him. “Hyung, look at me.” Kai sweeps aside the stray strand of hair hanging over Kyungsoo’s forehead and cups the latter’s cheeks. It was clear as day (if it wasn’t already obvious from the other’s somewhat flushed skin) that the older was burning up inside.

 

“Hi Kai.” Kyungsoo smiles up at the twin, heart warming at the sight of worried Kai in front of him. Having spent the past weeks in Jongin’s constant company, Kai had been oddly absent; Kyungsoo had grown worried about the latter despite the older twin’s assurance that his brother was doing quite alright and wasn’t sick in bed. Which, of course led Kyungsoo to wonder if Kai was avoiding him for whatever reason. He was worried and that’s why he had decided to seek the younger out. Truth be told, he’d missed seeing the younger as well.

 

“I left my umbrella at home so –” He gestures at the pouring rain and shudders as a chill spreads over his body. Kai notices at once and rids himself of his jacket to wrap Kyungsoo in it.

 

“Why are you here? Why didn’t you wait somewhere else with more shelter?” The younger sighs and helps Kyungsoo up. He wants to distance himself from the latter; he’d already decided not to fight with his brother over the latter; he’d rather give up at the start than prevail and lose ultimately. Not even trying will spare the hurt and heartache. That’s why he’d been trying to curb his feelings and avoid Kyungsoo.

 

So why is the other coming back into his life, just when he thought he had a chance to forget about him?

 

Kai pulls the jacket over their heads, pulling the other’s body close to him, before they made a mad dash to the younger’s car. He doesn’t know why Kyungsoo was waiting for him to end his dance practice, but he isn’t such an that he’d leave the other behind despite his urge to run away.

 

Kai also cares too much (despite how much he tries to convince himself otherwise) to not take care of the other who is obviously sick.

 

“I didn’t want to risk missing you when you head off.” Kyungsoo explains why he’d stayed at the entrance instead of seek shelter. He slides into the passenger seat as Kai holds the door for him. The latter immediately turns on the heater when he gets into the car and turns to face Kyungsoo worriedly.

 

“You need to get out of those wet clothes and take a hot bath quick.” Kai says, instead of asking the question he had in his mind – “Why were you looking for me?” The younger doesn’t even ask Kyungsoo where he resides. Instead, he’d made straight for his own home. The ride back was awkwardly quiet, only because Kai was trying to concentrate on driving whereas the other appeared somewhat drowsy. And he lets Kyungsoo sleep; occasionally turning to gaze fondly at the latter when he stops at traffic junctions.

 

===

 

“We’re here, hyung.” It was only a few minutes later that Kyungsoo wakes up to Kai’s face too close to him; the former thinks he probably can count the other’s lashes if he wanted. He backs away with flushed cheeks (perhaps it was only because of his internal body heat), but there was no denying his heartbeat picking up at the sight of attractive dark eyes and plush lips. “Are you okay?” Kyungsoo brushes away Kai’s following question and stumbles out of the car to find himself in front of a high-rise apartment.

 

“We’ve at the penthouse, come on.” The younger turns towards the glass doors and Kyungsoo hurries after him at once. Right. He forgets that the twins were rich too. Heck, their whole circle of friends is rich.

 

“I didn’t know you dance as well.” He comments, trying to start a conversation with Kai without letting the awkwardness of being alone, just the two of them enclosed in the elevator, get to them. Kyungsoo was already feeling lethargic, probably an effect from having got caught in the rain earlier. That warm bath Kai mentioned earlier sounded like the perfect remedy right now.

 

“Whenever I don’t have football practice.” Kai says, throwing subtle glances at the other who was leaning against the other wall in the elevator. He inches closer so that they were standing only an arm’s length away. When the doors slide open and Kyungsoo steps forward sluggishly, Kai sticks close, arms half stretched out in case the other stumbles.

 

“Jongin’s not home yet, hyung. He has basketball practice till late.” The younger mentions bitterly when he catches the other looking around. Kyungsoo clears his throat and makes to deny that he was searching for Jongin, but he shrinks under the intense gaze Kai was giving

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter