One Steps Forward, One Steps Back

Piccadilly Circus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Inch by inch, Jongin has creeped into his heart until it reaches the point where the twin will drape his arm over Kyungsoo’s shoulder and the latter’s first thought would be what took you so long and not why are you touching me again, is this really what friends do on an extensive basis?

 

He likes the warmth Jongin brings him when the younger tucks him close to his side. It was a different feeling from when Kris or Chanyeol gives him a friendly bro hug. It wasn’t just because they were different individuals. Kyungsoo can’t explain it, but he thinks he will soon comprehend it. For now, Jongin to him was just classified as different.

 

And his best friends hated that they’ve allowed the younger to be a bigger part of Kyungsoo’s life. Jongin has taken to intruding into their regular meet ups; their childhood gang was no longer just the three of them (it hasn’t been just the three of them ever since Baekhyun got together with Chanyeol, but the latter shrugs it off everytime his two friends point it out). They know the twin likes Kyungsoo in a way that can’t be labeled as pure friendship. They had snorted when their small friend told them he had convinced Jongin that they could start off as friends. The hungry look in the other’s eyes whenever he spots Kyungsoo was telling enough though.

 

“Hey hyung!” Jongin grins widely and slid into the booth, right before attaching himself to the said boy’s arm. Kris feels his eye twitch as he inhales a mouthful of coffee. And it wasn’t because the caffeine was getting to him; Baekhyun had made an observation before that too much coffee tends to make Kris high. “Hi Jongin.” Kyungsoo, who has long given up on prying the twin off him, smiles in return. The words “Where’s Kai?” lingered on his mind, but eventually he asks, “How was your class?”

 

Because where Jongin had gotten closer to Kyungsoo, the younger twin had taken a step back. And another. And a couple more until Kyungsoo notes that he kind of misses the other’s presence. After all, they were supposed to be Jongin and Kai – a pair. But he hasn’t seen much of Kai lately, only the wistful smiles he would give Kyungsoo on the rare occasions their eyes would find each other’s across campus. It gets to the point where Kyungsoo thought that the younger twin was ignoring him.

 

But why would he considering how stubbornly he had been fighting with his brother over Kyungsoo when they had first met. It wasn’t in him at all to just give up and concede to Jongin. Does he not like me anymore? Like a toy the younger must have lost interest in. Does he not want to be my friend? Kyungsoo pouts.

 

“Why do you look sad, hyung?” Jongin pinches at his cheek playfully, finally drawing him away from his thoughts. “Let’s go watch a movie later!” The twin smiles so brilliantly that Kyungsoo can’t help but smile back and nod. Because where Jongin was all sunshine, Kai was like a brooding storm; not always present, but when it arrives, it tends to pack a punch. Kyungsoo shakes his head to snap himself out of his thoughts again. Perhaps absence really does make one’s heart grow fonder; he doesn’t know why he constantly thinks of the twin, not the one by his side at the moment.

 

“You wanna come, Kris?” Kyungsoo offers his best friend a smile and encouraging shrug of the shoulders. He was oblivious to how Jongin was basically making cutthroat gestures at Kris behind his back, even adding in some low growls and a glare to boot. Kris wants to roll his eyes because Jongin looks as threatening as a Chihuahua. Also, one can never out-glare Kris (only maybe Kyungsoo because the giant was a er for his bestie).

 

“Unfortunately, I have basketball practice in an hour.” Kyungsoo whirls around in alarm when he hears a happy squeal coming from behind him. Jongin’s cheeks were suspiciously red, but Kyungsoo merely shrugs and faces his friend once more. “Fortunately, I know Chanyeol and Baekhyun would love to join you guys at the movies.” Kris declares victoriously. The other whirls around once more, this time at a dying whale sound.

 

“You okay, Jongin?” Kyungsoo asks. “Yes, I’m fine… let’s go now hyung?” The said boy smiles sweetly and ushers him out of the café within seconds. Jongin lets out his inner child and sticks out his tongue at Kris when leaving. The other didn’t even look pissed for he was still basking in the joy of foiling Jongin’s plans of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter