Four

Wagered Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The school was alive again. After almost two months of being left out in the cold by its staff and students except for the occasional clean up done by the utility staff during the holidays, the halls, rooms and courtyards were once more alive with students' voices, laughter, frantic feet, the sound of opening and shutting locker doors. So different from a few days ago when Wonwoo happened to pass by the school which looked gloomy and desolate.

 

His eyes scanned the crowd of people passing by to enter the glass doors that led to the main school building. While students hurried to get inside, he sat on his usual spot at the front quad just by the elevated kiosk, his feet crossed together as he leaned leisurely on one of the seats. A pair of earphones blasting loud bass into his brain was plugged through his ears as per usual, tuning the rest of the world out.

 

His eyes remained vigilant, however. Wonwoo did not know either what he was looking for, but his orbs continued to roam the place. He saw a couple of his neighbors already. Another person, who used to be a part of his rather wide sphere of friends, his name was Hong Jisoo, was sitting on the bench near the parking lot with his girlfriend, Jung Hyeri.

 

From the spot just by the gate where the security guard stood, he saw a petite girl wave at his direction. Instead of returning the rather flirtatious smile she flashed towards his direction, he looked away nonchalantly as if he saw nothing.

 

He could only think of getting the damned day done and over with. Usually, classes would be conducted for fifteen to twenty minutes each and the rest of the day was freedom, at least such was the case for the first week of classes.

 

Wonwoo wasn't expecting much from his senior year. He just has to do what he has to, have fun as much as he could for the rest of the semester and then there's the spring and summer break to look forward to, probably a dance. The second semester begins right after and then it's hell week for the SATs. No final institutional exams for seniors and then winter, a hell of a long time to wait for the results of the national exams and then it's graduation after that.

 

It's a roller coaster ride he'll try to survive or it's another year of reviews for him, something he does not have any intention of going through. Just thinking about it made him lose his strength.

 

The sound of roaring engines by the gates stole him from his reverie and soon, a flashy red car came into view. As usual, Hansol was behind the wheel, driving top down along with a blond guy named Sunyoung. Two girls sat on the backseat, looking smug as the car made its way in.

 

The owner of the car set his dark sunglasses down, eyeing Wonwoo before waving. With a slight chuckle, Wonwoo also waved, shaking his head at the bastard he called his friend.

 

It wasn't long before Hansol came to the kiosk with Sunyoung, both sitting themselves down on either of his sides.

 

"How was winter?" the latter asked, sighing as he looked far beyond the gates.

 

"That's a bull question," Hansol said with a laugh, foul-mouthed as always.

 

Wonwoo smirked.

 

"Anything new?" Hansol asked. "Screwed anyone new?" He smiled suggestively at Wonwoo, who immediately figured out what he was talking about.

 

"Se Young is just a friend. I don't bang friends," he stated, referring to the girl who waved at him earlier. Wonwoo knew that she fancied him more or less but he did not feel the same way and made sure he was clear about that to her during the winter.

 

"She's cute," Sunyoung remarked.

 

"Precisely. Woonie likes hot girls, not cute ones," Hansol teased and pointed at a girl who was disembarking from a silver Porsche, followed by a tall guy whom he doesn't recognize. "Like that chick over there."

 

"Where?" Sunyoung tried to look for the girl in question.

 

"There by the gates..." Hansol frowned. "Wait, why does she look familiar?"

 

"Who?" Wonwoo asked, finally looking up from his phone which he had been fiddling with all the while.

 

Hansol pointed at the female's direction. "That hot one with the brown hair, walking with that...new guy? Why do I get the feeling I've seen her before?"

 

Wonwoo followed the direction of his eyes and finger. He then found himself staring at his neighbor from across the street, who just came back to the country, and he felt his guts freeze at the sight of her. "That's because you know her."

 

Sunyoung's eyes widened. "No way! I thought she was -"

 

"She came back two days ago," he murmured, sounding dead. He merely followed the beel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter