Two

Wagered Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The boy who lived across the street entered their house again a couple of moments since coming out with one thing on his mind – she's back.

 

When he opened the door to head out, he thought he saw that familiar lavender suitcase he has seen roughly a year ago when he refused to come meet her, only watching through the crack of the curtain that covered the window which faced the street.

 

He wasn't mistaken about the luggage, but when he looked up at who was pulling it, instead of the girl he knew all his life that he knew it belongs to, he was confronted with the sight of a young woman who looked familiar yet strikingly different.

 

She's grown her hair longer than before, almost extending to her waist, styled in big, flowing spirals and light brown streaks, her wisp of a body that he remembered well now filled out in the right places. He couldn't see her face but he could tell that it was none other than Yoon Jaera, coming back from New Zealand, judging by the way she walked.

 

He momentarily froze on his spot, but the air of difference about her made him think otherwise. It could be another person, half of him wanted to believe, but can hardy refute the reality that was in front of him.

 

Walking towards the sidewalk, he tilted his head for a better look. Just then, she slightly turned her head around and the moment their eyes met, she turned away as if she saw nothing, the lethargic way she moved made it seem so.

 

Remaining rooted on his spot, he battled within himself whether he should approach her or not. The latter won by a landslide before he could even decide because the front door to the Yoons opened, revealing Jaera's mother who quickly hugged her despite her surprise.

 

He could rest easy now. At least he could tell for sure that Mrs. Yoon did not really have any idea when her daughter would be back. It looks like the younger female planned a surprise homecoming right after her brother decided to leave.

 

A faint smile made itself known across his face but it had gone as quickly as it appeared when he realized that she did not even give him a second glance, leading him to the speculation that she was long over him and could have even forgotten about his existence.

 

It's only natural, he said at the back of his mind, turning away the moment the door she entered closed.

 

He went back inside their house, meeting his mother who was startled when she saw him.

 

"Jeon Wonwoo! I thought you already left." She exhaled loudly, looking annoyed but her expressions softened when her son took the basket of dirty clothes she was holding, also noticing the upset look on his face. "Are you quite alright?"

 

"I don't know, but I don't feel like going out anymore."

 

"Why is that? Your seemed to be on fire while you were getting ready to go out just earlier." The vivacious woman he called his mother arched a brow at him.

 

Wonwoo smiled. "Did Mrs. Yoon say anything to you?"

 

"About what?" Mrs. Jeon eyed her son from the rim of her spectacles.

 

He shook his head, the picture of what he had seen outside of their home clear and alive in his mind. "Forget it. Now where do you want these?" he said, referring to the basket.

 

"In the laundry room, of course."

 

"Alright."

 

With a heavy sigh, he walked towards the direction his mother instructed him to go, thinking deeply about that night one year and two months ago.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter