Twelve

Wagered Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mingyu stared up at the old, two-story house he calls home from where he stood at the sidewalk after a rather lengthy day at school. To him it felt longer with Jaera missing half the day’s classes, the same ones they had together at least for the fifth and sixth periods.

 

Thoughts of what transpired during lunch still bothered him, and much to his surprise, he somehow felt a pang of irritation when he saw Jeon Wonwoo dragging Jaera across the hallway. He did not know for sure where the urge to chase after them and give the guy a good beating came from. All he knew was that it started when Jaera flashed him that lost, helpless look as if a silent plea for him to come rescue her.

 

It was rational for Mingyu to think that it was just an impulse, friends helping friends out, but as the day progressed and he realized that he was not used to going home before dark as he always usually stayed with Jaera after classes, it became evident that he was too dependent on her presence for him to consider the day complete.

 

Walking home with Jaera has been a daily routine, even during weekends when Mingyu would walk her back to their village after they’ve hung out on their own or sometimes, with Jisoo and Hyeri. It was as if it had become his daily duty to be there for Jaera or for Jaera to be there for him for that matter.

 

He stared up at the house, not quite ready to enter the small patch of land that served as his front lawn, noticing how the pale yellow paint that covered the walls, once bright, was now faded and chipping off. The shutter on one of the windows was starting to fall from the hinges. He figured he would busy himself with that since he had no choice but not to bother Jaera.

 

Once again, he found himself thinking about her…everything about her. He would smile whenever the image of her smile, though often not reaching her eyes, would cross his mind. It was beautiful and he thought himself delusional the first time he caught himself daydreaming about her in class, and as time went by, though he is usually the receiving end of such an expression from the usually cold Yoon Jaera, he wasn’t immune to it.

 

Inwardly, he was thinking that he suggested for her to become his pretend girlfriend for his unconscious whim to be closer to her. It was an ambitious move for him, and he did not expect her to strike the deal, but she did. Still, it wasn’t like she did it for him. It was all for her to prove something, particularly her bitter ex’s feelings towards her. Though Mingyu told her that it was to prove his theory, at a certain point, he knew Jaera wanted the answer to it as well.

 

Somehow, he couldn’t help but feel jealous of Wonwoo. He wasn’t jealous to the point of wanting Jaera for himself, but he wanted to be loved as fervently as he is loved by Jaera. He resented Wonwoo, that was for sure. He resented him for not seeing what a lucky person he is to have someone like her – beautiful, kind, loving. Mingyu had no reason to doubt his thoughts about Jaera still having feelings for the other boy despite the whole year she had been gone trying to move on.

 

Jaera claims that she does not have any feelings for Wonwoo anymore. Since the day he found out about the true nature of her relationship with Wonwoo, she had been trying to disprove everyone’s theory that she still felt something for him or that Wonwoo still felt something for her. It was odd how they obviously yearn for each other yet they hurt each other so bad to the point of repelling the other.

 

He would be happy to let her go back to Wonwoo, besides, their relationship was a sham, a show for everyone in order to make the boy snap. He thought that was his intention at first to help Jaera get over her utter bleakness where her former boyfriend was concerned, but eventually, he started to think that he has other reasons for doing it, one of them being the fact that he wanted Jaera for real.

 

Mingyu sighed, wincing at the thought of it. Her heart belongs to someone else, that much he has figured out, and he often wondered if she would give him a chance if Wonwoo did not exist. He smiled at the thought, finally taking the first step into the lawn, then another step followed by more until he was standing in front of the door, fishing for the house keys.

 

Just then, his phone vibrated in his pocket. Thinking that it was Jaera or any of their other friends, he eagerly took it out only to be disappointed when he saw the name of the person he didn’t want to have anything to do with at the moment, or probably for as long as he lived.

 

The message flashed before his eyes, his mood transforming from that of whimsical longing to outright bitterness. He shrugged, taking the keys out, deciding to read the message the moment he is in the house. God knows what kind of news he will be receiving this time.

 

The moment he got to the house, he went to the kitchen, checking if he needed to do some grocery shopping for the week. He opened the fridge and cupboards, taking a mental note of what’s missing, but when he realized that he had ample supply to last for the week, he figured he was making an excuse to postpone reading the message.

 

He did not need to read the message to know that it will be something that would definitely set him off the edge again, but he brought his phone out and read it anyway. Just then, there was another one from another familiar number – his mother.

 

‘Don’t take what your father says to heart. Call me when you need anything,’ his mother’s message read. She would usually call, but judging by how she had been sending him messages as of late, the situation in his family just worsened.

 

He read his father’s message next. It said, ‘You are a disgrace to the family…’

 

Old news, he thought to himself, smirking at the phone.

 

‘You will be responsible for any consequences your action will bring about in the future. Don’t come crawling back to me for help when you realize you’ve made the biggest mistake!’

 

Mingyu almost wanted to laugh upon seeing yet another message from his father.

 

‘Make up for the damage you’ve caused!’

 

He sighed, his anger for his father fueled by the message. Oh I will fix it alright, he thought, exiting the kitchen and walking up to his bedroom at the second level of the house to get changed.

 

He wouldn’t be fixing the shutter this time, not that day. He had other things in mind. He set out once more within the hour, arrived at the high-rise building owned by the Choi group. He was immediately received by the receptionist and was told to go up to the highest level of the building and into the office of the company proprietor.

 

“Mingyu, son, we have been looking for you!” the man said from behind his desk, his eyes weary as he regarded the tall young man standing by the door. “Do sit down.”

 

Mingyu walked deeper into the room, taking his position halfway towards the desk. He stood still. “I will be leaving soon, sir. I would request for you to hear me out.”

 

The man’s demeanor changed upon realizing the hint of challenge in Mingyu’s tone. “Does your father know you’re here?”

 

“No, but he told me to fix things.”

 

The man grabbed the decanter sitting at the corner of his table and poured himself a glass of the amber liquid, even gesturing to offer Mingyu some, but he declined. “Very well, Mister Kim. How do you propose to do that?” he asked calmly, eyes intent on the young man. “As far as we are all concerned, the damage has been done. I don’t know how else this will be solved apart from your agreement to the arrangement.”

 

Mingyu shook his head. “I am afraid that’s out of the question, Mr. Choi. My mind is set where the matter about your daughter is concerned. I heard she fled the country out of embarrassment.”

 

Mr. Choi hesitated, but nodded just the same.

 

“I apologize to her, but I can’t see myself in that kind of situation. I hope you would understand that the partnership can still ensue without having to develop such kind of bonds,” he said clearly without a pause. “I will not ask for your family to forgive me, but I will say it anyway.” He bowed deeply. “I sincerely apologize, but I refuse.”

 

“No use coming here then, Mingyu. You shouldn’t have. The partnership is cancelled until you sign yourself in,” Mr. Choi answered, eyes on the liquid in the snifter. “But you do realize that time is of the essence.”

 

“Yes…” Mingyu clenched his fists, suddenly feeling the heavy burden on his shoulder. “I am aware of that, but I do not understand why it has to come to this.”

 

“You are still young. You will understand when you’re older.”

 

“I want to understand now. If it’s just business, why bother? Can’t we work together as a team instead?” he angrily demanded, taking a step closer.

 

Mr. Choi stood from his chair, his eyes unwavering and not showing the slightest hint of remorse. “You are insolent as your father claims, but I understand. Would that be all, Kim Mingyu?”

 

“Yes. Please consider my words.”

 

“We will see how it goes.”

 

“Let’s end it here for everyone’s sake.”

 

“You mean for your sake?” the elderly man said with a chuckle. “No need to be so pompous now.”

 

Seeing no point in further arguing his point, Mingyu turned away without a word. He did not spare a single glance at the direction of the CEO and made

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter