Fourteen

Wagered Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sound of metal clashing against metal echoed through the vast foyer of the mansion where the scoring mechanism for a fencing match was set up. On the padded area which served as the match platform were two figures, both clad in fencing suits, one wearing black and the other was sporting white gear.

 

Both competitors wielded foils, alert to every movement of the referee outside the mat. The one in black slowly moved his eyes from the middle man to his opponent, exhaling in the same relaxed manner as he gripped his sword.

 

“En garde!” the referee shouted for the umpteenth time that night and once again, the hall was filled with the sound of squeaking shoes, harried breaths and swishing foils.

 

The one on black was the first one to draw blood, and the score on his side of the matt turned from zero to one with only seven seconds into the usual three-minute clock. The match progressed with both sides garnering scores, the one in white only two points short when suddenly, the butler came into view, holding a tray with a phone on top of it.

 

“What is it this time?” the one in black asked, his eyes on his opponent as he his sword forward.

 

“Young Master, it’s your friend, Miss Jung.”

 

‘He’d better take the call!’  a loud, female voice yelled at the other end of the phone, making the fencer in black cringe, but was also amused.

 

“I will.” He looked at the referee and signaled for the clock to be stopped as he stepped off the matt and approached the butler. He removed his head gear and took the phone, making sure he turned the loud speaker off before leveling the device to his ear.

 

“Hyeri, to what do I owe the honor?” he asked, chuckling as he handed his foil and head gear to the butler.

 

‘Jaera is back…well, she’s been here for since classes began, but I’m afraid you would have to come here. Your best friend’s up to no good.’

 

He frowned. “What do you mean – wait! She has returned since ancient history and I’m learning about it now?”

 

‘I forgot to tell you.’

 

“And what of Wonwoo? What is he up to?” He knew of what happened the day before he left, and as far as he knows, the person in question just didn’t show up when he was about to leave.

 

Hyeri sighed. ‘He’s coming after Jae. I don’t know what his deal is being hostile and all, but you need to be here and beat sense into that guy. He doesn’t listen to anyone but you.’

 

He wasn’t so sure about that either. “I’ll be there first thing tomorrow.”

 

‘Are you sure?’

 

“Yes. Besides, my flight has been arranged. You called in good time, too. I’m returning to our school for the rest of the semester.”

 

‘Okay. See you then.’

 

“Sure.” He hung up and proceeded to the podium, giving the phone back to the butler in exchange for his gear. “Again!”

 

His opponent didn’t move.

 

“What the hell, man? Let’s do this,” he said irritably, suddenly preoccupied with the thought of Wonwoo and Jaera not having reconciled even as friends despite the whole year that passed with them apart.

 

It sounded ridiculous, but at the same time, there were also other things he needed to consider, particularly the fact that they never talked it out as Wonwoo let her leave and refused to talk to her, or so he heard.

 

The one in white took his gear off and removed his glove to check the time on his wristwatch. “No, we can’t.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“You haven’t packed and your flight’s in two hours.”

 

He smirked. “Fine. Sore loser.”

 

The one in white rolled his eyes and left the mat. “Go pack. I don’t want to miss it because of you.”

 

The one in black raised his hands in defeat. “Fine…dad.”

 

**

 

Wonwoo was already awake before the four AM alarm that Jaera had set up for them to get to the pier and catch the first trip even rang, but he continued to lie down on the single bed he shared with her, eyes still closed and just trying to assess what was happening around him, particularly Jaera’s movements.

 

He got some shuteye, but he knew that the person beside him couldn’t rest easy, tossing and turning all through the night, causing him to momentarily wake up numerous times through the night. Jaera hated the rain, especially when it falls torrentially at night. She couldn’t sleep, and the weather just did not show any signs of letting up until around two in the morning.

 

It wasn’t just the case. He felt her reluctance to be with him in the same breathing space, and he couldn’t help but think what being in the same bed with him was doing to her. If it weren’t for the single duvet they had to share, he knew for sure that she would either be pacing around or would sit on the chair by the window the whole evening. She did that once when they got into a fight during a trip they’ve had when they were still together.

 

He stared at the back of her head in the semi-darkness, attempting to touch her several times, but he wouldn’t dare execute the task he had in mind, not when there was a possibility that she would kick him out of the bed, or even out of the room. Knowing the animosity she felt towards him for getting them stuck in an island, Jaera would not hesitate to let him sleep in the bathroom if he tried something funny on her.

 

He knows because she warned him before she turned her back on him and pretended to be asleep. She didn’t sleep at all. The conditions were just perfect – it was raining hard outside and he was there with her, two things that would surely keep her up.

 

Minutes ticked by until he finally decided to open his eyes to glance at the clock on the nightstand. Fifteen minutes to four. He sighed, wishing to sleep more, just relish the moment of the relaxed state he was in regardless of Jaera’s presence when a few moments later, the familiar sound of the alarm set up on his phone suddenly started.

 

His notions were confirmed that Jaera hadn’t slept a wink when she immediately turned to the direction of the sound and sat up, reaching over to Wonwoo’s side of the bed to retrieve the phone. She turned off the alarm and was silent for a few seconds before he felt her hand on his shoulder.

 

“Wake up,” she murmured, shaking him.

 

Wonwoo did not respond.

 

“Jeon Wonwoo,” Jaera called again, louder this time.

 

He turned to face her with a slight smile playing at the corners of his mouth. “Good morning.”

 

She arched a brow at him and stood up from the bed. “Morning,” she muttered in response as she the lights.

 

The moment Wonwoo could see her clearly, he saw dark rings under her eyes, another testament to a sleepless night. “You didn’t even get any sleep,” he commented, getting up.

 

“I did.”

 

“You can take a nap. I’ll go get the tickets.”

 

“I said I slept.”

 

Jaera shook her head, about to get to the bathroom when there was a knock on the door. She immediately opened it and the receptionist came into view, bearing their clean clothes and a small envelope. After thanking the woman, Jaera laid Wonwoo’s clothes on the bed and placed the envelope on top of it.

 

“I won’t stay a minute longer in this place, and I already got the tickets,” she said and entered the bathroom, leaving Wonwoo flustered about the fact that she has already planned her escape route long before she has to cross the bridge, thus ruining his chances to even do anything for her. As always, he renders him useless.

 

She came out a few minutes later, all done. “Get in.”

 

Wonwoo stood up from the bed, but instead of getting into the bathroom, he stood right in front of her, leveling his head to her heigh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter