Chapter Eight

Sing Me To Sleep

(( So this is a million years later than I wanted and I am so sorry >< I lost a lot of motivation towards my writing for a while, ended up having to take a haitus from my other story that had never missed an update in it's entire time updating, and am really only recently getting back into the swing of writing. But I sat down a lot the last 3 days and worked really hard to finally be able to bring this to you. I hope you're all not too mad at me for it taking so long to bring you the final chapter of Sing Me to Sleep, and I thank those of you who have loved and supported me through it's entirity! ))


 

“You’re going to speak, whether you like it or not.” AeJeong tried to keep a hold on Junmyeon, but the other managed to tear the brunet from her hold by his arm, and Jongdae’s father took a hold of Junmyeon’s chin, turning his head from one side to the other. “It was fate that drew you to my son, I knew that he could sense your kind and he brought you to me like I dreamed he would. My only question is why you don’t show your true form like your mother does so willingly. You’ve got nothing to hide, I know all of your secrets,” he stated, releasing Junmyeon’s arm to the gem in the center of the younger’s chest. The sting it caused made Junmyeon try to pull away, his eyes shutting tightly when the other released his chin only to take a hold of his neck instead.

“You will not run,” Jongdae’s father said in a slow, even tone, Junmyeon’s hands grabbing at his wrist as he struggled, a pained noise escaping him when the grip on his throat tightened. “Speak, or I’ll have no choice but to throw you in.” The threat had Junmyeon’s eyes open slowly, as he continued to try and remove other’s hold on him, a dizzy feeling filling his head. He was starting to think that refusing to eat had been a bad idea, it was hard to grab a hold of his focus but he managed to coil his fingers around the older’s wrist, biting his nails as deeply into the flesh as he could. The older let out a sharp hiss before Junmyeon felt the ground ripped from under him and his heart lodged itself into his throat as he realized Mr. Kim had thrown him back, over the edge and into the water. He was startled by the sudden numbness that shot through his legs and he opened his eyes long enough to see that the sleep pants he had been wearing seemed to have been torn because of the sift, but it wasn’t enough to wake him from the dizzy feeling in his head and he let his eyes close again.


AeJeong tried to bolt after him, wincing when her wrist was taken hostage. She turned to Jongdae’s father, trying to free her wrist only for his grip to tightly and her free hand scrambled to pry his fingers off of her, mutely begging him to let go. She looked back at the surface of the water, heart thundering in her chest when Junmyeon hadn’t resurfaced, and she gave a halfhearted tug as she stared at the water, tensing at the voice in her ear.

“All you have to do is say what you want, and I’ll let you go get him.” Her eyes were wide as she tore her gaze from the water to the other’s amused smile. “You can do that for your precious son, can’t you?” She turned to face him, her free hand coming up to start to sign only for the other to catch her wrist like he had the first. “Ah-ah, use your words dear,” he corrected and the image of him started to blur, his lips moving without a sound before she shut her eyes tightly, head bowing as she continued to silently beg. They heard the creek of the door, and Jongdae’s father gave a tug on one of AeJeong’s wrists. “Come now, darling, Jongdae will be upset if he sees you like this,” he continued. When there was a hand on his shoulder his eyes shifted to it, squinting a little at it before he turned to face the owner. In a flash his head snapped to the other side and he staggered as his hold of AeJeong was released, Jongdae rushing to catch her before she fell back into the water. The brown haired male gave her a confused look when she struggled, reaching out towards the water as her knees gave out, and Jongdae looked around.

“Dad… where’s Junmyeon?” he asked, turning his focus to the male who was rubbing his jaw, eyes locked on Mr. Kim, his amused look returning.

“He decided to go for a swim.”

“Hayeun, don’t play games with us.” Mr. Kim bit.

“So you remembered me, I feel so moved.”

“I’m warning you. Tell me where my son is.”

“I told you, he went for a swim. But now I’m wondering if you ever taught him. AeJeong tried before she came to live with me, I remember watching you all play on the beach so many years ago.”

AeJeong struggled in Jongdae’s hold, pulling his attention to her just before she slipped out of his grip and down onto the lower ledge, disappearing into the water with an explosive splash. He knew that the reason Junmyeon didn’t like going in the water was because of shifting, but… what if his father was right, and the other didn’t know how to swim? He felt relief for a fraction of a second when AeJeong surfaced, pulling Junmyeon’s head above the water, though it was gone the instant he saw that Junmyeon offered no response, and the youngest dropped down onto the ledge to help AeJeong get him out of the water and onto it. She hoisted herself up beside the unconscious brunet, lifting his head enough to place her hand under it, turning his head from side to side, as Jongdae’s mind raced with questions.

Why wasn’t he awake? Even if he couldn’t swim, AeJeong could breathe underwater when she shifted, so there was no way for Junmyeon to have drowned, right? Not unless his head had been under the water long enough before he shifted… but there was no way AeJeong would have let that happen! Jongdae’s eyes shifted to his father, the panic easing ever so slightly when his clothing didn’t appear to be wet like it would have been if he had drowned Junmyeon… And if his father wanted to keep them and learn about them, there was no reason for him to try and kill Junmyeon. His attention darted back to AeJeong when his shoulder was almost violently tapped, and he swallowed hard as Junmyeon’s body convulsed a little, water spilling up from his mouth. His eyes blinked open before AeJeong was helping him sit up, and she gestured towards the corner where towels were kept to make shifting a quicker change. 

Jongdae scrambled to grab two, AeJeong wrapping one around Junmyeon before herself, leaning him to rest back against the wall perpendicular to the edge they were sitting on while he reoriented himself. Jongdae fidgeted as he watched Junmyeon occasionally cough, AeJeong coming back into his focus when she knelt beside Junmyeon to tie one of the cloths she used as a skirt when out of the water around his waist over the towel, then one around herself. Jongdae’s attention flashed to the water when there was a large splash and he had just enough time to realize that it was his father having been pushed in before his attention was caught by Mr. Kim pulling AeJeong up onto the main ledge, missing what was said to him by the older during. He swallowed hard, looking to the water as his heart thundered in his chest unsure what would have been worse: if his father surfaced and perused them or stayed under forever. He shook his head, climbing up onto the upper ledge and holding his hand out to Junmyeon who simply looked at it and then back to Jongdae’s face.

“J… Junmyeon… Come on, let me help you up.”

“I’ve had enough of your help,” came the other’s response, Jongdae swallowing back a whine at the throb his heart gave. “It’s because of you that-” Jongdae’s vision blurred a little and he shut his eyes tightly, hand lowering to grip the edge of the ledge.

“I know, alright?! This… This is all my fault, but… I… I went out… I got help because I knew that I couldn’t get you out on my own… he took the key, I couldn’t get in here without him… so I went and got help because I had to make this right… I don’t care if you never want to see me again, just let me get you out of here… I'm sorry, I didn't know this would happen, but please I want to make it right any way that I can so I'm begging you... You said you trusted me, so let me save you …” Jongdae begged, flinching at the fingers that brushed against the back of his hand. His eyes opened, meeting Junmyeon’s before the older intertwined their fingers, giving a small nod, and Jongdae held out his other hand for Junmyeon to do the same with, hoisting the brunet up over the ledge. They turned to the exit, seeing Kyuhyun struggling as he stood with AeJeong on his back at the top, Mr. Kim nowhere in sight.

“Sir, I’m not sure how well this is going to go,” he called down to the eldest as Junmyeon and Jongdae made their way over to the ladder down.

“You just have to get down far enough for me to grab AeJeong, you’ll be fine.” Came the response and Kyuhyun cringed a little, turning and starting down the ladder slowly. He got two rungs down before one of his feet slipped down from one, and the jolt caused AeJeong to lose her grip on him. Her arms tucked in to her sides as she prepared herself for a harsher stop than she met, eyes easing from scrunching up out of fear and she looked up at Mr. Kim whom had caught her when she slipped.

“I’m never letting you go again,” he smiled, stepping back as Kyuhyun hurried down the ladder, sputtering apologies. AeJeong turned her attention to him, offering a smile and reaching out to pat the top of his head, Junmyeon dropping down a moment after, Jongdae following soon after. “Alright, now let’s get out of here,” he continued, leading the way through the basement and back up the stairs, Junmyeon frowning a little when Jongdae refused to go up until everyone else had. The youngest looked back at the glass wall of the aquarium, swallowing hard before looking to Junmyeon who had stopped half way up to wait for him until Jongdae started up the stairs. His gaze shifted to the floor as his steps started to grow heavy, and he had enough time to notice a faint shadow before something locked onto his wrist, yanking him back against something wet.

“You’re not leaving, I refuse to let you leave me like your mother did!” Jongdae only felt the vibrations of the other’s throat, but the last thing he imagined his father saying was anything good like that they were all free to leave, and he turned to face the older, trying to pull his wrist free. When the grip only grew tighter, to the point that it felt like his skin was going to bruise, he turned his focus to the others.

“Go!” Jongdae yelled as he was yanked closer to his father, the other four freezing, eyes locked on the two. “What are you doing? Run! We came to get you two out of there, now go!” His attention shifted back to his father, almost as startled by Junmyeon grabbing a hold of the wrist his father wasn't holding. “Run!”

“Not without you!”

“You can’t have him!” 

“Dad, you’re hurting me!” Alarm flashed over the other’s face, and he released his hold on Jongdae’s wrist almost immediately. The only problem was that Junmyeon was still pulling on his other wrist, and the sudden loss of an opposition force caused the pair to stagger back, Junmyeon slamming against a bookcase while Jongdae ended up on the ground. Kyuhyun darted forward, kneeling down to help Jongdae back onto his feet, the younger confused when Kyuhyun flinched, and he looked back at Junmyeon who was now crouched down as he seemed to be trying to hold his foot close, a smashed statue beside him. Jongdae dropped down in front of him, Junmyeon turning a half smile, half grimace up to him.

[I’m okay] he signed and Jongdae reached out, helping Junmyeon stand. When the older tried to take a step though he almost dropped to the floor, and Jongdae wrapped an arm around his waist to keep him on his feet.

“I won’t let you have him,” Hayeun repeated, taking a step towards them, Jongdae holding Junmyeon closer in response.

“Hayeun, he’s not an object to claim, if he wants to leave he has the right to leave.”

“Hypocrite! If you truly believed that, you would have let AeJeong be. We were a happy family before your son barged into Jongdae’s life and started causing nothing but trouble! Damaging his vocal cords with so much speaking, now you’re all trying to take away his second mother, trying to take him from me!”

"I should have reported you to the police when you first became a problem. If you hadn't disappeared from town for a month before AeJeong went missing maybe the police would have believed me."

"Dad, what are you talking about?" Junmyeon asked, Mr. Kim hesitating as he looked at AeJeong.


AeJeong poked her head up from the surface of the water just enough that her eyes were free of the distortion the water offered when it came to distances. She also wasn't sure if she believed her sister saying that they were able to breathe above water when their mother clearly stated that they couldn't, ignoring the argument that sirens were creatures of the sky so it only made sense that they could breathe both in and out of the water, since they were of the hybrid lineage. She ducked back under the water, heading towards the shore she saw, her head peaking back up when it was shallow enough that her hands could trail along the sand beneath her. She used her hands to help pull herself up onto the shore, when her trail was no longer any help, covering her skirt in sand in the process, and she rolled onto her back once she was completely out of the water, closing her eyes as a smile played on her lips after she took a deep breath. 

“You were wrong, mother. I wonder what else you’ve been wrong about,” she mused, bolting up into a sitting position when an odd shiver trailed down her spine. A moment later there was a sharp cold feeling dragged down the center of her tail, panic flooding her veins as small pin pricks scattered down the entirety of her tail, her eyes shutting tightly as she held her breath. When the pain faded and she felt a slight sting in instead she eased her eyes half open only for them to flash open at the sight before her. Where scales in many shades of blue had been was now pale skin like that which covered her arms, her fingers trailing down the seam in the center of what used to be her tail, mouth hanging open in awe.

“What is this?” she whispered, perplexed as it seemed that her tail had been skinned and split in to two parts that moved out of synch with each other. She jumped a little when a wave washed over her, the icy feeling from before changing to an intense heat and her eyes closed tightly again as she curled forward, pricks scattering across her skin again. When the feeling faded her eyes opened once more and she straightened, staring as her tail had returned.


She returned to the shore a few days later, pulling herself out of the water again to see if the same event would occur, and over the next week of trying almost daily she learned that when she was out of the water and allowed her body time to dry in the sun her tail would split, but as soon as the water washed over her waist her tail would return. Not long after she figured out how that aspect worked she found herself in company on the sand, watching as two made their way towards her. They were using what her sister told her were called legs to make their way along the shore, which meant that they were humans; the realization caused her to remain rooted where she sat in the sand, one of the humans sparing her a glance and a smile before they went past her, paying her no other mind. Once they were out of sight AeJeong felt herself relax and she wondered why they hadn’t tried to attack her like the stories her elders told, and her eyes trailed over her own set of temporary legs.

Could that have been it? Since she looked like them, they offered her no harm? Did they not find it strange that she was just sitting on the beach when they were using their legs to travel it? What if someone did find it strange? Would they know that she wasn’t human? She swallowed hard, the worry making her stomach uneasy. I guess I’ll just have to… learn how to use these like humans do, she thought, looking around for something to pull herself up on. When there was nothing near enough to her to reach she settled for a short stone wall, having to drag herself a ways to it; she was thankful that the only two humans she had seen on the beach weren’t making their way back. If they hadn’t thought she was strange before, they certainly would have now.

AeJeong reached up, draping one arm over the top of the stone wall, spending longer than she was comfortable with pulling herself up and half way hanging over it as her legs flailed under her. What way were they supposed to go? Why did they not move together in a way that ended it anything other than bending under her weight and sending her back into the sand? She huffed, grimacing a little at the grit of the sand that was now in , and she pouted at the wall. On her fourth attempt she managed to not drop herself back in the sand, wincing when the stone scraped against her skin as she twisted herself around so she was sitting on it instead of the sand, huffing a sigh. How did humans learn how to do this? It was impossible. It also took a lot more focus than she thought it should to raise only one leg instead of both.


She managed, after near a month of escaping to the shore as often as she could, AeJeong was able to walk on her legs, and she found great enjoyment out of kicking and splashing in the water, spinning around once she gained enough control not to trip over herself and into the water, losing her legs for as long as it took for her to dry off again. She lost track of how long she spent on the beach, surprised that her mother didn’t mind when she was gone the entire day. One day, however, she heard a pleasant tune coming from up the hill the shore was at the bottom of, and she found herself humming along with it after a short while, pausing when she noticed the gem in her chest light up a little, silencing her. This caused the gem’s blue light to face, and she giggled before starting to spin as she trailed around in the knee deep water, starting to sing a lullaby she remembered, even though it didn’t entirely fit the tune of the music that was playing.

My baby, baby, here’s a little something sweet
To make you sleep tight tonight
My little rascal, little rascal, making you make funny faces
To make you like this world
Wa la la la la la my baby
When you’re tired someone will be with you
Ai ya ya ya ya ya my baby
I hope you know that you’re the most beauty-

AeJeong froze when her eyes locked onto a small human standing just out of the water’s reach, a glint to his eyes having the same blue as the gem in her chest, and it faded from his eyes as her gem’s light went out. AeJeong watched the little one blink a couple of time before shaking his head, something dropping from his hand and to the sand, though before she could offer it much attention the boy took a step towards her and she took one back. She had spent so many days on the beach and the most notice she had gotten was someone sparing her a glance, so why was this small human- He took another step and she staggered when she lost her footing, falling back with a splash, a warmth spreading through her legs. The shift no longer offered any discomfort, but at the moment that was the least of her worries as the boy’s eyes widened, mouth hanging open a little at her changed form.

“You’re… a mermaid… How did you have legs?” the boy asked and she scooted back a little, keeping a watchful eye on him as she tried to get deep enough that she could swim away in a hurry. “Your voice was so pretty before, why aren’t you talking now? I won’t hurt you, I promise. My name’s Kim Hayeun, what’s yours?” he continued, following her as she retreated. AeJeong finally was far enough out that she couldn’t reach the sand bottom with keeping her shoulders out of the water and she rolled over so her stomach was facing the sand, ducking under the water as she heard the boy yell for her to wait. She hurried from the shore, poking her head up from the water when she was sure that she was further out than he would follow, turning to face the shore once again, eyebrows knitting together when she didn’t see him. Had her mind played a trick on her? Surely she had seen-

“Help!” The struggled cry tightened her stomach in a knot and she darting back into the water and towards the shore, coming up and looking around for the boy constantly, the knot tightening when she no longer heard him after his third cry for help. She ducked under the water, turning in a panicked circle, tensing when she saw a human like figure motionless and completely submerged in the water, rushing over to him. She shook his shoulders a little, but when his eyes didn’t open she took a hold of one of his arms, pulling him so he was resting against her back, hurrying up to the surface. She looked back at him, dread settling in her stomach when he remained limp against her back, turning her attention to the shore, making a break for it.

Getting up onto the shore was a challenge with the boy on her back, but eventually she managed to get the both of them far enough that they were met with only dry sand as she rolled him off of her back and onto his own. She stared down at him, moving one hand under his head to lift it a little, unsure of what to do. When his shoulders jerked and water spilt out from his mouth she flinched, relaxing a little when his eyes opened and she frowned deeply at the smile he gave her.

“You saved me.”

“I wouldn’t have had to if you didn’t try to follow me!” AeJeong exclaimed, his smile drooping.

“I wanted to tell you I was sorry, it seemed like I scared you,” Hayeun replied. “You wouldn’t say anything… When people introduce themselves, others usually do the same, is that different for mermaids?”

“I’m not a mermaid.”

“But… you have a tail,” Hayeun said, lifting his head and looking down, pausing. “At least, you did when you fell in the water.”

“Still not a mermaid,” AeJeong stated, the boy’s attention rising to her face again.

“Then what are you called?”

“If you really must know, I’m a Nereid.”

“No, what are you called? What’s your name?” AeJeong’s shoulders sagged as she sighed.

“If I tell you, will you promise you won’t follow me into the water again?” She asked, earning an enthusiastic nod. “My name is AeJeong.”

 

“I met AeJeong when I was ten years old. She was singing while I was wandering the beach playing a harmonica, and when I saw her I knew that I loved her. That didn’t change when I learned what she was, and she visited me once after she saved me from drowning, so I knew that she had to have loved me back. But then she disappeared without a word of when she would come back, and my heart shattered. I began researching about her kind, studied everything I could and managed to convince my parents to let me start to go out on sea voyages. When I was on one I met the most beautiful woman, and I thought it was AeJeong, but when I realized that it wasn’t I was already too attached to her and I told myself that it was time to move on, that her kind lived more than five times the length of any man…”

“I married my second love and she had Jongdae… not long after he was brought into this world she was taken from it and I tried so hard to find him a new mother that would care for him as much as he deserved to be cared for, since I worried that my job would keep me from giving him everything he needed. And then I saw AeJeong, sitting on the beach, playing with a dark haired little boy, and the look she gave him… I knew she would be the perfect new mother for my Jongdae. When I saw the man she was with, suddenly the rumors I had heard around town made sense. AeJeong had been right here in town for years and I had been blind! She was the one so many talked about. Everyone said that they could never figure out why such a beautiful woman wanted to be with someone who was so much younger than her, when she had suitors lined up to buy her everything her heart desired. So I tried to convince her that she should be with me instead.”

“And you refused to take no for an answer,” Mr. Kim cut in. “It’s because of you that she grew fearful of leaving the house… Then when she tried to go to the police to report you, she went missing, never making it to the station. And all those love letters that you sent made a case that she ran away with you, making me seem like the nutcase in this situation! You refused to let her go, and you cost our family so much.”

I refused to let go? Here you are after almost as many years without her as I had to endure, still searching for her. What makes you any different from me?”

“The fact that I wasn’t keeping her against her will!”

“If she wanted to leave she should have told me so.”

“She can’t speak!” Junmyeon exclaimed, pulling the room’s focus to him. “Jongdae told me about the event that caused him to become deaf. He said that my mother’s gem glowed brightly, he heard a painful screech and then everything went quiet. After, he saw that her gem had been broken and she couldn’t talk anymore.”

“He probably just couldn’t hear her speak anymore,” Hayeun argued, AeJeong shaking her head. She let go of Mr. Kim’s neck and he held her tighter to his chest as she signed.

[I took something from Jongdae, and for that something was taken from me. When he found his way into the basement where I had been alone for years, and I saw him I remembered my little Junmyeon... I remembered that I would never see him again, and the pain of that was unbearable and it consumed me as a cried. The next thing I knew Jongdae was on the floor, staring at me in such horror until you came and took him away.] Hayeun stared at her until unfamiliar voices echoed through the house, and two uniformed officers made their way into the kitchen.

“We were called on the basis that a neighbor heard loud noises and was worried that someone was hurt,” one of the officers stated, Kyuhyun taking a step towards them.

“Hey, you’re the kid who kept coming in about your missing friend,” the other said, and Kyuhyun pointed at Junmyeon as Jongdae was picking him up bridal style.

“Yeah, and guess who actually found him? Certainly not any of your officers,” the light brown haired male snapped. “Look who else we found,” he continued, turning his gesture to AeJeong, one of the officer’s eyes widening while the other’s eyebrows knitted together. “You should take a look in his basement, check out the aquarium he kept them in.” The officer’s expressions lost their surprise and confusion, one shaking his head.

“Now you’re going too far again.”

“No, he’s not,” Mr. Kim and Junmyeon argued in unison, the officers looking between them before at each other, one nodding his head for the other to check it out. The blond officer made his way past through the group, disappearing through the doorway to the basement for a moment before his voice was heard.

“Yeon, you’re not going to believe this unless you see it.” Yeon trailed off the other, and the pair could be heard muttering to one another before they appeared back in the kitchen. “So what you’re saying is that you and Mrs. Kim were locked in there?” he asked, Junmyeon nodding, attention being shifted back to Hayeun. “Care to explain yourself? Why you kidnapped them is one thing, but keeping them in something akin to an aquarium is another.”

“Because they’re Nereids,” Hayeun replied. When he was met with silence he rolled his eyes, sighing. “To people like you they’re basically the same as mermaids,” he explained, the officers exchanging another glance.

“We see. Kim Hayeun, it’s time for you to come down to the station with us, we can get you the help that you need so you don’t accidentally harm someone with your delusion.” Hayeun took a step back, scoffing as if insulted.

“Delusion? I am far from delusional, just you wait and see,” he all but growled, grabbing the vase from the dining room table, tossing the flowers that had been in it to the side and making a move towards Junmyeon and Jongdae, one of the officers catching him around his waist. Hayeun turned a snarl to him, then his gaze flickered back to Junmyeon and Jongdae, and he shot the water from the vase onto Junmyeon’s feet, the pair flinching back. Silence filled the room as nothing happened, Hayeun’s snarl fading into shock just before Yeon pulled his arms behind his back, locking cuffs around his wrists.

“That’s enough, let’s go,” Yeon said, the other officer aiding him in pulling Hayeun from the kitchen and to the front door.

“No, wait, something went wrong, that should have worked. Jongdae! Tell them! You know what those two are!” he shouted, Jongdae missing it as he kept his attention away from him the moment the cuffs were placed on his wrists. Junmyeon nudged him to look up with a finger on his chin, studying his face for a long moment.

“Are you okay?” he asked, earning half of a shrug before there was a hand on Jongdae’s shoulder.

“Come on, let’s leave,” Kyuhyun pressed, Junmyeon nodding, allowing himself to be carried the rest of the way out of the house. Jongdae kept him in his arms until AeJeong had been placed in the passenger seat of Mr. Kim’s car, Kyuhyun setting in the back seat before Junmyeon was gently set on the ground.

[I guess this is goodbye] Jongdae signed, not trusting his voice with how tight his throat felt. His eyes shifted up to Junmyeon’s face slowly when the other didn’t make any motion to sign back, and he was a little thrown off by the confused frown the brunet was giving him.

“What are you talking about? You’re coming with us.”

[But… I’m the reason you all are in this mess] Jongdae argued, Junmyeon shaking his head.

“No. You’re not the one who put my mother in that prison and then locked me in as well. You were just trying to show me someone that you knew was like me, and because of that you reunited my father with his long lost wife, and me with my mother… It was cruel for me to tell you that this was your fault, and I’m the one who should be saying I’m sorry. You were just trying to help, that’s all you’ve ever been doing.”

[Do you…] he swallowed hard, looking over at the trio in the car before back to Junmyeon. “Do you really want me to come with you?” he asked, a weight lifting his shoulders as the corners of Junmyeon’s lips quirked up.

“Who else am I going to sing to sleep?”