Ep.3

We Unexpectedly Got Married!

Jonghyun’s voice fades away into nothing and silence bounces off of the café walls. The camera crew was looking on, the director was nodding to himself, his chin resting in the nook of his hand. This was the type of reaction he wanted: shock, awe, happiness and slight confusion. “Jonghyun…” Kibums eyes round and he stares at the silver-haired male. Jonghyun was at a loss for words, his mouth opening and closing like a fish. This had to be some sort of interview, this couldn’t be—Kibum couldn’t be his wife—no—his husband!? Korea doesn’t allow this. The ratings will drop, people will send in hate comments and stop liking SHINee. Kibums feelings would be made obvious. His feelings would be made obvious. Sweat was beginning to goose along the back of Kibums neck and his hands suddenly felt clammy. “When you said you’d be on the show…I didn’t think I’d be marrying you.” Jonghyun says with a light tone, but Kibum could sense his unease. Neither had planned for this, neither was expecting this!? Their manager would flip once the first episode aired. Kibum shoots up out of his seat and bounds over to the director. “What’s going on?” He asks, his eyes flicking frantically between the producers. “Love! That’s what’s going on!”

“Like hell!” Kibum hisses. “Explain why he’s here? Explain what you’re doing.” The producer shrugs and pauses the filming. “It’s We Got Married, Kibum-ssi. You know how the show works.” He explains simply. Kibum scoffs. “I know how it works, but it doesn’t—“ He looks back at Jonghyun who was nervously staring at the wall over Kibums shoulder. “No!” Kibum was panicking, his heart rate spiking, his stomach twisting into a perfectly tied cherry knot. “Hey,” He turns at the sound of the voice. “It’s not so bad.” Jonghyun murmurs reassuringly. “Jonghyun, neither of us are…in that way….” The cameras start rolling again. “You don’t know that Kibum.” Jonghyun says almost under his breath, the guitar dangling from his right hand, the last of the melody still playing through Kibums ears. “You don’t know how I feel…” The café fans whirr and Kibums shoulders begin to sag, his lips parting to ask, what? “Lets just film, okay? It’ll be fun.” Jonghyun forces a playful smile onto his lips and squeezes Kibums shoulder in that take-it-easy way he always did. Kibum felt his tension dissipate. “Fine, we’ll film.” He follows after Jonghyun and sits across from him at the table. 

Neither speak for a moment, they awkwardly fiddle with their hands. Jonghyun clears his throat and says. “This isn’t so bad.” Kibum looks up and meets his gaze. “We’ve known each other for a while, so it won’t be as akward as other couples.” He laughs and Kibum laughs with him. Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad… “Your guitar playing was nice.” Kibum blurts, Jonghyuns eyebrows raise and he places a hand to his heart. “Thank you.”

“Don’t get full of yourself.” Kibum warns. “I won’t.” They stare at each other for a moment before laughing lightly. “I freaked out for nothing, you’re practically a brother to me.” Kibum says, Jonghyun sighs. “A brother? Really now, Kibum.”

“What?” Jonghyun reaches across the table and takes Kibums hands. “How can I be your brother when I’m your fiancée?” The question had Kibums cheeks inflaming. Jonghyun smiles sweetly at him. “Your ears turn red when you blush.”

“Stop it.” Kibum glares yanking his hand back. Jonghyun chuckles, shoving his bangs out of his eyes. “I get my chance and you get yours.” He says, Kibum looks to him confused. “Chance to what?”

“Embrace this.” Jonghyun gestures between them. “Whatever this is, it’s time to acknowledge that it’s something…else.”

“Yeah, that something is that I’ve been around you for too long.”

“While that’s true, that’s not it.” Jonghyun stands up and strums the strings on his guitar. “That something is what you noticed a long time ago, but was too afraid to come to terms with.” Kibum blinks. “You love me.” Jonghyun says simply, Kibum sighs. “Now you sound full of yourself.” Jonghyun laughs still strumming the strings. “Or maybe I sound as though I want those words to be true…that you love me…” There’s silence again, Kibum looks nervously to the camera crew, but they were eating it up. Left with nothing to say he orders a cup of coffee for them. Hot for Jonghyun and iced for himself. Jonghyun places the guitar on the table beside them and sips his coffee. His puppy like eyes kept peering over the rim of the cup at Kibum. “What?” Kibum questions slightly agitated by the olders childish gaze.

“It’s kinda surreal,” Jonghyun places his coffee cup down. “That I’m going to be married to you.”

“It’s only for show.” Kibum says shooting him down. “But we can make it real…if you want to.” Kibum takes a long swig of his iced coffee before answering Jonghyun. “If…I want to…” Jonghyun nods and Kibum thought back for a moment why he was so afraid. It was obvious that Jonghyun felt the same way, fanservice was no longer fanservice now that they had both grown. With a drawn out sigh he finally says. “Yes, I’ll do this.” Jonghyun beams and then corrects Kibums ‘I’ll’ to ‘We’ll do this.’

Jonghyun jumps out of his seat and hugs Kibum from behind, his arms looping around the youngers neck. “Get off me.”

“You should know, husband, that I’m a skinship type of person.” Jonghyun coos. Kibum makes an ‘ew’ face. The date progressed smoothly, the two talked about whatever came to mind, and there really wasn’t any need for introductions being that they knew each other since ages ago. They talked about Jonghyuns music and Kibums musicals. They talked about the past and who would be the best cook in the house. The directors voted for Kibum when it was break time. Kibum was laughing at something Jonghyun had said, mouth open wide when the older decided to kiss him on his forehead. Kibum stops laughing, his eyes widening. “Jonghyun, what the hell…” The older shrugs. “I couldn’t resist.” Kibum makes a face. “You’ve never kissed me before.”

“You don’t know that…there’s times when you’re asleep.” Kibum kicks Jonghyuns ankle under the table. “You thief.”

“I only borrowed.” He replies smugly with a grin. Kibum kicks him harder, Jonghyun’s face creases with pain.

Yeah, WGM was their chance to be open with one another, to let the world know that they loved each other, that friendship between two males could cross that boundary and become something much, much more. Kibum stares at Jonghyun and his eyes settle against his features, he rests his chin in the palm of his hand and smiles. “I wonder what the others will think…” He thinks aloud. “You mean Taemin, Minho and Jinki?” Kibum nods. “They won’t think anything except that it was about time.” Jonghyun reaches under the table and squeezes Kibums thigh in reassurance.

Minho nearly chokes on his water as the preview for the newest season of WGM plays on his TV. The preview captured Jonghyun and Kibums smiling faces as they held each other’s hands and even captured the quick peck Jonghyun had placed on Kibums forehead. “About ing time.” Minho exclaims, pulling out his phone to speed dial Jinki.