Chapter 6

On Sunny Days

Sally and Changmin sat in front of the doctor who is a renowned specialist in rare disease. The doctor pages through Changmin’s thick medical records, after reading through the file, he stood up and went to the bookshelf running his fingers along the spines of the books until he found the one he was looking for and returns his table. He runs his finger down the index of the book and then pages through the book and squints at the page. Sally and Changmin looked on anxiously as the Doctor reads; it was Sally who forced Changmin to come see the doctor. Sally told him that if he didn’t come to see that doctor she would not help him at all…

“Heal your heart?” Kyungsoo asks confused.

But Sally sighs understanding what Changmin said, “I’m sorry Changmin but I can’t do that for you, I already have someone who I care about…”

Kyungsoo finally catches on, his eyes widening as his mouth drops open.

“Please… I just need 6 months…”

“I’m sorry, Changmin-“Sally begins to say before Kyungsoo raises his hand.

“You should help him… He only has so little time left…” Kyungsoo says as he takes sally’s Hand.

“What… What do you mean??? Are you saying that you don’t seem to mind that the girl who you just confessed to will be helping her ex fiancée?”

Both men flinch at the last two words, but Kyungsoo is the first to speak. “I’m not telling you to leave me and go back to him, just to help him… I trust you ok? And I believe that I will be able to win you back even if your heart is moved.”

“Please, Sally… I just don’t want to spend my last days alone…”

 

The doctor sighs deeply, “I thought that Mr. Shim’s case was similar to another case published in one of the recent journals, but when comparing them side by side, there is no actual evidence linking the two cases together, I am sorry, but even I have never seen an illness with this kind of presentation and progression. I would like to do a few more tests but I am not optimistic in finding adequate treatment for Mr. Shim that could help him recover. I am going to go to a convention in a few months and I’ll consult with my other colleges to see if they know anything about Mr. Shim’s illness, but I am sure that Miss Sally has read over Mr. Shim’s record, and would understand that this level of organ failure cannot guarantee that Mr. Shim will be able to survive past 6 months. The prognosis is not optimistic.”

Changmin and Sally leave after thanking the doctor.

“I’m sorry Changmin…”

“Don’t be.” He says with a sad smile, “I’ve already accepted it a long time ago.”

The two walk in silence for a few moments.

“When did you find out?”

Changmin turns around and looks into Sally’s eyes, “Actually… Do you remember the day when I was late and you waited in the rain?”

Sally nods. “That was the day they told me that I was already showing signs of the early stage of organ failure. It was the same day they estimated that I would have two years left. Even now, I’m on borrowed time… But I still consider that day one of the happiest days of my life.”

“Why?” Sally asks, confused.

For the first time since they reunited, Changmin smiled genuinely, “You said yes, you basically told me that you wanted to be with me for the rest of my life.” As Changmin finished the sentence his smile fades back into a frown. “But that was also when I realized how selfish I was, but even if it was a selfish impulse; at the time all I wanted to complete the things I haven’t done. But in the end I knew I was being unfair, especially to you. Luckily I realized soon enough…”

“Wait… Are you saying that you knew about your illness yet you didn’t even bother to tell me?”

“I didn’t want to-“

“You didn’t trust me? Did you think I would have left you if I’d known?”

“I do trust you… that’s why I came back, I want to live the rest of my life the way it would have been if I was healthy…” He says glancing at Sally before looking away, “but I guess that isn’t possible…”

The two continue walking in silence, Changmin glances at Sally once again before sighing loudly.

“I’m sorry… let’s just forget what I said-“

Sally grabbed his arm stopping him from walking away. “I didn’t say I wouldn’t do it… but there is a limit to what I can do… I can be a friend but that’s all… If you want anything more, I don’t think that it possible.”

“It’s totally ok… It’s so much more than I ever hoped you would have accepted; I know I hurt you before, I’m really sorry. I’m sorry for suddenly leaving and breaking off the engagement without a proper explanation. I really wanted to apologize ever since the words left my mouth but the timing was never right.”

Sally shakes her head, “It’s all in the past now; and in a way, I now understand why you did what you did.”

Changmin smiles weakly letting out a breath he had been holding. “It’s such a relief.”

The two of them fall into silence once more.

“So… where did you go during that time?” Sally asks, but when she received no reply, she turns around to find Changmin leaning heavily against a street lamp, panting loudly.

“Changmin!” Sally says rushing to his side, “What happened?” she asks urgently immediately pushing away his hair to feel his forehead.

“Don’t worry.” Changmin smiles weakly, “this happens often nowadays, I just need to rest.”

“Is it because of walking?”

Changmin smile fades, “Yeah… it’s been getting worse recently.” He says pushing himself back into an upright position.

Sally puts his arms around her shoulder supporting him, “I’ll take you back home.”

“It’s ok… I’ll just call someone…”

“No, I’m already here.” Sally says looking angrily at Changmin, “I’ll take you home.”


Author Note: Hello! Long time no update! But I will now be updating weekly! YAY