Seventh

Stupid Cupid

I know I said this would be the last chapter, but it's turning out to be a lot longer than I expected. So, I decided to split it up. I'm almost done with the whole thing and I promise the next chapter will definitely be the last. I really enjoyed writing the parts that became this chapter and I hope you enjoy it too ^_^


 

Myungsoo is absolutely dreading going in to work. He knows Hoya will want to know how his date went and he doesn't think he's ready to recount the humiliating details of his botched kissing attempt. Still, he goes anyway, mostly to keep himself from replaying the night before over and over in his head; he was up until the break of dawn doing just that and he is pretty sure it shows.

That seems especially true when Hoya takes one look at him and frowns. "Whoa, what happened to you?"

"I don't want to talk about it," Myungsoo insists, pulling on his apron. Despite his efforts, images from the previous night flash through his mind and he feels heat creep up his neck. He tries to hide it by turning away to check on the espresso machine, but with the way Hoya's face lights up, he can already tell it's too late.

"So, it was that kind of night..." The older boy wiggles his eyebrows suggestively, completely misinterpreting his friend's embarrassment.

"No, it really wasn't." Myungsoo is blushing even harder now, which he knows does nothing to help his case. Although he doesn't want Hoya getting the wrong idea, he would prefer not to get into the disaster that was last night. "It was actually the exact opposite, so I'd really appreciate it if we never talked about it."

Unimpressed and maybe a little bit offended, the older barista scoffs and crosses his arms. "Come on, you can't say something like that and not expect me to be curious." When the younger boy refuses to say anything else, Hoya steps closer, his voice softening as he places a reassuring hand on the boy's shoulder. "Look, I don't know what happened, but I'm sure it wasn't that bad. And even if it was, you know I wouldn't judge you or make fun of you. You can tell me anything."

Myungsoo knows his friend means everything he says and it makes him feel even guiltier for not sharing. Deciding to just get it over with, he turns to lean against the counter, a resigned sigh passing his lips as he crosses his arms. "Well, Sungyeol was walking me home and we were having a really nice time, you know, talking and stuff. So, we got to my apartment and we were saying goodnight and I started feeling like something might happen— like he might kiss me or something."

"Did he?" Hoya is fully engrossed in the younger boy's story, but he can't help interjecting, his curiosity making him impatient.

"No, but—" Myungsoo sighs again, finding it hard to continue. He glances at his best friend who is staring at him expectantly, his eyebrows raised in interest, before returning his gaze to the floor; he is much too embarrassed to maintain eye contact, especially with what he is about to say. "But I did— or— I tried to. It didn't really work out. I kind of headbutted him instead."

True to his word, Hoya doesn't laugh at him or make him feel any worse— but he doesn't make him feel any better either. After what seems like an eternity of silence, all he says is: "Wow, that's... not good."

"Thanks." The young barista doesn't bother toning down his sarcasm as he shoots the other boy a blank look. That might be the biggest understatement of the century.

Ignoring the sass, the older boy tries to get his friend back on track. "So, what happened after that? Was Sungyeol mad?"

"Uh, no, not really." Myungsoo isn't sure if he will ever stop blushing. He's been feeling abnormally warm since the start of this conversation and having to relive every embarrassing second of last night isn't really helping. Still, he can't help the tiny smile that settles on his face as he recalls the drummer's last words. "He just... called me cute."

Hoya's eyes look just about ready to pop out of his head, his mouth falling open quite unattractively. However, his shock quickly morphs into delight, a goofy grin sliding onto his face as he exclaims, "Oh my god! Can he be any more in love with you?"

"What are you talking about?" Myungsoo scoffs in disbelief, his gaze finally lifting from the floor. He always thought his friend was the saner one between them, but looking at him now, he wonders if he gave the older boy too much credit.

Still sporting that ridiculous smile, Hoya slides closer to him and slings an arm over his shoulder. "I've only met Sungyeol a couple of times, but even I can tell he's totally into you."

The younger boy lets out another doubtful scoff as he leans his head against his friend's shoulder; he appreciates the support, but he is all too aware of the reality of the situation. "You're just saying that because you're my best friend."

"That has nothing to do with it," the barista insists, his tone suddenly turning serious. "I mean, it's so obvious. You guys have been on a million dates, he almost kissed you twice. Hell, you literally headbutted him and all he does is call you cute! I hate to break it to you, but the guy is obviously crazy about you."

When he puts it like that, Myungsoo finds it hard to argue— not that he really wants to. He wants to believe everything Hoya said is true and maybe in time he can. Squeezing his eyes shut, he wills himself to accept the idea that Sungyeol might like him just as much as he likes the drummer. "I hope you're right."

"Of course, I'm right." Hoya sounds as confident as ever, his arm tightening reassuringly around the younger boy who wastes no time reciprocating the gesture, enveloping his friend in a vice-like hug. Chuckling at the cute response, the older barista ruffles the other's hair. "I'm always right."

"Way to ruin the moment." Rolling his eyes, Myungsoo playfully pushes his friend away, a smile on his lips all the while. He had been dreading having to talk about his date, but he actually feels better now; it turns out he was worried for nothing. The gray cloud that had been hanging over his head seems to dissipate, his entire demeanor noticeably brighter as he steps out from behind the counter.

It's been a pretty slow day, but he's feeling much too restless to sit around doing nothing, especially with all the thoughts swirling around in his head at the moment. So, he decides to clean some tables in an attempt to distract himself from all of it. Unfortunately, Hoya refuses to let him live and he follows the younger boy out into the dining area with a broom, pretending to sweep as he batters his friend with question after question.

When will he call Sungyeol? Will he try to kiss him again? Will the drummer even want to kiss him?

Myungsoo doesn't bother mentioning that he has already asked himself those exact same questions or that he hasn't figured out any of the answers. Instead, he resists the urge to throw the rag he's been using to wipe the tables at his friend's face to get him to shut up. Thankfully, the bell on the door jingles, signaling the arrival of a customer and the two baristas turn to see who it is. Myungsoo's stomach breaks into a frenzied dance set to the pace of his frantic heartbeat when he finds Sungyeol entering the cafe; he can't quite tell if it is from excitement or fear. Still, he tries to appear casual as he steps forward to greet him, his smile more affectionate and less professional than if it were a regular customer.

"Hi."

"Hey."

Sungyeol seems happy to see him, his smile as dazzling as ever, although the young barista can't figure out why. Especially when he gets a closer look at the older boy's nose and the purplish bruise marring the boy's otherwise perfect face. He doubts the frown on his own face is enough to express just how miserable he feels right now. "I'm sorry, again, about... that."

"Don't be." The drummer waves him off, his smile never faltering as he sits down at the table Myungsoo was just cleaning. "Trust me, it looks worse than it feels and it's not like you did it on purpose."

"But I still feel bad," the younger boy insists, taking a seat as well. He thought he had come to terms with everything that had happened, but after getting a first-hand look at the damage he caused he feels like he is right back where he started.

And Sungyeol being so understanding is not really helping; he seems to have forgotten the events of the night before, despite the unpleasant reminder sitting in the middle of his face. "Myungsoo, it's okay, I promise. Besides, I didn't come here to make you feel bad. I came to ask you out on a date."

"A date?" Myungsoo isn't sure he heard him correctly, but the cute nod the drummer gives him certainly confirms it. Still, he has to double check. "With me?" Another nod, this time accompanied by a light chuckle. Okay, Sungyeol must be the one who's mistaken. "Are you sure? I mean— what if I actually break your nose this time?"

"Does that mean you're going to try to kiss me again?" The older boy counters, his eyes twinkling playfully.

"Yes. I mean, no— I mean— um, well..." Myungsoo can't say the thought hadn't crossed his mind, but he wasn't expecting Sungyeol to bring it up so casually. And he just had to act like a blubbering idiot. Wanting nothing more than to disappear into the ground, his eyes fall to the table where his fingers are nervously playing with the towel.

Apparently not done with his teasing, Sungyeol rests his arms on the table and leans forward. "I guess that's a risk I'll have to take— that is, if you still want to go out."

The younger boy's head snaps up at the other's words, his eyes wide in shock and before can stop himself, he blurts, "Yes." Realizing he answered too quickly, he clears his throat and tries not to sound so eager. "I mean, sure, yeah... to the date. We should date. I mean, we should go on a date. Together. Yeah."

"It's a date, then."

The drummer reveals another blindingly gorgeous grin that has Myungsoo's stomach doing Olympic-level acrobatics and his cheeks aching from the smile that stretches on his face. It never ceases to amaze him the effect Sungyeol has on him. And he is beginning to think he might be having a similar effect on the older boy, if the slight blush working its way up the other's neck is any indication. There is also the fact that Sungyeol still wants to kiss him (and would risk bodily harm to do so). Myungsoo is afraid Hoya may have been right all along.

"Well, I should let you get back to work," Sungyeol says just then, his expression turning apologetic. "I shouldn't even be here right now."

Somehow, Myungsoo feels like it's his fault that Sungyeol is talking about leaving and he wants nothing more than to reassure the older boy that he is welcome to stay. "No, it's fine. You don't have to go." An idea suddenly occurs to him and he doesn't hesitate to share it. "You could stay for a cup of coffee, at least. Or maybe a muffin?"

Amused by the barista's enthusiasm, the drummer gives a soft chuckle, a familiar fondness lighting his eyes. "I'd love to, but the guys are probably wondering where I am. I kind of told them I was going to the bathroom, so I definitely have some explaining to do."

Myungsoo tries not to be too disappointed, keeping in mind their date that evening as he nods understandingly. It's hard to be upset anyway now that he knows the lengths the older boy went to just to see him. "I guess I'll see you later, then. Say hi to everyone for me... Or maybe not; I don't want you to get in trouble."

"I'll think of something," Sungyeol assures with a laugh as he finally stands up, giving one last wave before heading to the door.

Although he is certain he's made a fool of himself again, Myungsoo can't seem to stop smiling. He just keeps thinking about how happy Sungyeol was to see him and the fact that the drummer still wants to go out with him. The mere thought of the way the older boy looked at him sends heat rushing to his cheeks and he covers them with his hands, silently laughing at himself for acting so silly.

He is abruptly pulled from his reverie by the sound of someone clearing their throat and he turns to find his best friend grinning at him like he has just heard the best news of his life. Myungsoo is a bit embarrassed to admit he had completely forgotten the other barista was there the moment Sungyeol walked in, but he knows Hoya will understand. What he doesn't know, though, is why his friend is staring at him like that. Placing his arms in his lap, the young barista tries his best to look confused— not that he has to try very hard— as he asks, "Why are you looking at me like that?"

Hoya is still beaming, his eyes twinkling in delight as he crosses his arms. He seems extremely proud of himself, practically singing, "I told you so."

 

~*~

 

After scoring another date with Sungyeol, Myungsoo doesn't think his day can get any better— that is, until Woohyun invites him out to eat when he gets off work. He accepts without hesitation, excited to share the big news with the date doctor. He goes into the meal fully prepared to do just that but is predictably sidetracked by the food and then Woohyun distracts him even further with random small talk. It isn't until they are walking back to his apartment that Myungsoo remembers what he had been meaning to do. But before he can even get a word out, Woohyun beats him to it, a knowing smirk on his face.

"So, a little birdie told me you have a date tonight."

The young barista can't say he's surprised; the date doctor always seems to know what's going on even when he isn't around. But he does wonder why he took so long to bring it up. There is no wondering, however, about who he heard it from. Sporting a smirk of his own, Myungsoo asks, "Is that birdie named Hoya?"

"Maybe." Woohyun's smile turns sheepish, his gaze shifting toward the ground as he clears his throat. "Anyway, that's not important right now. You have a really big opportunity coming up and you need to make sure you're ready— especially after what happened last night."

"I can't believe he told you about that," the younger boy groans in embarrassment. He should probably be relieved that he doesn't have to tell the story again, but it's hard to be optimistic when one more person knows about one of the most humiliating moments of his life.

Thankfully, Woohyun is just as considerate as Hoya and he doesn't laugh at Myungsoo. His words, however, are much more helpful. Slinging an arm across the boy's shoulders, he pulls him closer, his expression softening with understanding. "Don't worry; that's why you have me. I'll make sure you get to give Sungyeol the perfect kiss without either of you ending up in the hospital."

That is probably supposed to be motivational, but Myungsoo almost feels insulted; it's not like he doesn't know how to kiss, he's just a bit clumsy.

Not wanting there to be any kind of misunderstanding, he tries to defend himself. "I know it might not seem like it, but I have kissed before. I mean— it has been a while and I still get really nervous around Sungyeol. But I really want to kiss him and I'm pretty sure he wants to kiss me too. It'll be fine." Somewhere in the middle of trying to convince the date doctor, Myungsoo ends up trying to convince himself as well. His earlier confidence has faded away and now all he can think about is everything that could go wrong on his date. Wanting confirmation that he has nothing to worry about, Myungsoo glances at Woohyun, nearly pleading, "Right?"

"Of course." The date doctor is quick to reassure him, pulling him even closer into a one-armed hug.

The young barista is more than happy to accept the embrace, already considerably more hopeful than before; it was exactly what he wanted to hear, but also what he needed to hear. Still, he has no idea how Woohyun plans on helping him, apart from making out with him— but Myungsoo is fairly certain that won't happen. He figures he might get some answers when they finally reach his apartment and Woohyun turns to him looking quite pleased with himself.

"Ok, now kiss me."

So much for not having to make out with him.

Although he has come to expect these ridiculous antics from the older man, Myungsoo is still stunned by the sudden declaration. He would laugh if his jaw wasn't currently touching the ground. Somehow, he manages to pick his jaw up long enough to eloquently utter, "What?"

Realizing his idea only makes sense to himself, the date doctor calmly elaborates. "The moment before a kiss is just as important as the kiss itself. Basically, all you have to do is lean in 90% of the way and then just stay there— you know, build the anticipation until he leans the other 10%."

"Does that actually work?" As much as he wants to trust Woohyun's words, Myungsoo has had his fair share of questionable advice from the other.

"Absolutely," Woohyun says, his certainty never wavering despite the younger boy's skepticism. He is grinning now as he gets down to business. "Ok, so just pretend I'm Sungyeol and show me how you would kiss me."

"But I wouldn't."

"I know— just pretend."

"Uh, I really don't think I need to do this."

"Uh, I think you do."

Myungsoo hates to admit it, but Woohyun is kind of right; the likelihood of him doing something embarrassing is, unfortunately, very high and he could use all the help he can get to minimize those odds. Besides, this is why he hired the date doctor— to help him in these kinds of situations and make sure he doesn't look like a fool. So, sighing heavily, he begrudgingly backs down.

Although Myungsoo tries to follow the other's advice, he has a hard time imagining Sungyeol is standing in front of him when Woohyun's smiling face is all he can see. Instead he opts for closing his eyes and blindly leaning forward until he's covered what he assumes is 90% of the distance. It suddenly occurs to him as he's hovering in the older man's personal space that he has no idea what is supposed to happen next; Woohyun made it clear no actual kissing would be involved, but he never mentioned how this scenario would play out. He stays bent forward for a few more seconds before cracking an eye open to find the date doctor looking rather unimpressed.

"What? Did I do it wrong?" Myungsoo can't see how he could have messed that up— it was literally only two steps. And one of them was standing still.

Face still impassive, Woohyun shrugs and says, "I don't know, it doesn't really feel like you want to kiss me."

"I don't." Myungsoo can't hide his confusion, his eyebrows furrowing to match the frown settling on his lips. This so-called lesson is becoming weirder and weirder by the second.

"You know what I mean." The older man somehow manages to sound both annoyed and amused as he rolls his eyes, a smile on his face all the while. "Look, you said you really want to kiss him, right? Well, prove it. Don't be afraid to grab him in your arms and show him exactly how you feel. And, who knows, tonight could be the night Sungyeol has his last first kiss."

As cheesy as it sounds, Myungsoo still finds himself believing every word; perhaps it's because the date doctor is finally saying things that actually make sense. Or maybe the barista is just a er for cringeworthy speeches. Either way, Myungsoo is absolutely determined now as he steps forward, a fire burning in his eyes. He catches Woohyun (and himself a bit) by surprise when he rests his hands on the other's shoulders and takes another step closer.

Keeping Sungyeol at the forefront of his thoughts, the younger boy lets his gaze slide down to the date doctor's lips, subconsciously wetting his own at the sight. Myungsoo has no idea what he's doing, but the warmth he sees in Woohyun's eyes lets him know he is somewhere on the right track. Before things can get any weirder he decides to finally get it all over with and dips down until their noses are almost touching, his hands gripping the man's shoulder tighter as his eyes fall closed. For the longest moment there is nothing but the sound of them breathing, making Myungsoo wonder if he'd messed up again. When he eventually dares to take a peek he is met with the incredibly large grin plastered on Woohyun's face; it would almost seem creepy if it weren't for the hint of pride lingering in the older man's eyes.

"That was so much better." The date doctor praises, that same pride also evident in his voice as he places his hands on the barista's cheeks. "For a second I actually thought I was going to kiss you."

"Really?" As odd as the compliment sounds, Myungsoo truly appreciates it; he hasn't had enough experience to be completely confident in his kissing abilities, but he is starting to think that won't even matter.

Woohyun is still beaming like a proud dad, looking perhaps the happiest he has in all the time Myungsoo has known him. "Yeah. Trust me, if you do it just like that Sungyeol won't be able to resist kissing you."

Myungsoo is sure his smile is just as big as the date doctor's; he had been a bit doubtful at first, but this impromptu lesson has managed to clear up most of his worries and he actually feels confident about kissing Sungyeol. But more importantly, Woohyun believes in him way too much, he doesn't want to let him down.

"Myungsoo?"

Someone behind him calls out just then, the voice only vaguely familiar at first. Without much thought the barista looks over his shoulder and spots Sungyeol standing a couple feet away looking understandably stunned. Time seems to slow down for a moment as their eyes meet and Myungsoo notes every emotion written on the drummer's face, none of them good and each one feeling like a stab in the heart. Pulled back into reality, he realizes just how bad this must look, Woohyun and him standing way too close to be friendly with their hands all over each other. He quickly steps out of the date doctor's embrace and turns to face Sungyeol fully, his heart hammering all the while.

Myungsoo doesn't even know what to say, but even if he did he knows it would only sound like an excuse. Still, he has to say something; the silence is becoming deafening and he should at least try to explain himself. When he finally does speak, what comes out of his mouth is nowhere close to an explanation. "What are you doing here?"

Almost immediately, the younger boy wishes he could take those words back. They just make him sound even guiltier and now Sungyeol has the most heartbroken look on his face. It would've been better if he hadn't said anything at all.

"I know we didn't set a time to meet," Sungyeol answers calmly— too calmly. "But I thought you wouldn’t mind if I stopped by anyway." His gaze flicks over to Woohyun, who seems to have turned into a statue, before returning to the barista. "I guess I should've called first."

Myungsoo wants to tell him he has it all wrong, that he didn't see what he thought he saw, but he's sure he'll just end up incriminating himself even more. Although he tells himself to stay quiet, his mouth apparently has a mind of its own. "Sungyeol, listen, this isn't what it looks like. What you just saw—"

"Are you seriously trying to tell me I didn't just see you kissing someone else?" Sungyeol scoffs in disbelief, suddenly cutting him off. His gaze is so intense, Myungsoo is rendered speechless, his own eyes taking interest in the ground. Still too ashamed to look up, he can only imagine the older boy's expression when hears him sigh, "I should go."

That certainly gets the barista's attention, his head immediately popping up; while he doesn't want Sungyeol to leave, he definitely doesn't want him to leave without hearing a full explanation. But the drummer is already turning and walking away and Myungsoo finds himself rooted to the ground, his legs betraying him at the worst possible moment. He's left with no choice but to watch Sungyeol's retreating figure as his heart sinks further and further in his chest. This isn't at all how the night was supposed to end, and he knows it is all his fault, but he doesn't know if there is any way to fix it.